Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 08-27-2005, 10:01 AM   #81
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: attention all Music Fans with an opinion...(thats you!)

Not my absolute favorite but Carole King's Tapestry would get my nod. I don't think it was actually her debut album but it seems to be on every girls shelf that I knew. Not that many unfortunately... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2005, 01:42 AM   #82
poohrichardson

poohrichardson is on a distinguished road

I'd have to go with "My Aim Is True" by Elvis Costello and "Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ" by Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band
poohrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 01:57 AM   #83
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I'll still go with Zep I....beat it.....I dare you!!!! I bring Zep I and poo brings Elvis Costello??????? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:39 AM   #84
Joey

Joey will become famous soon enoughJoey will become famous soon enough
Default RE:attention all Music Fans with an opinion...(thats you!)

I can't believe (and maybe I missed it) that no one mentioned ELTON JOHN'S - YOUR SONG. A song, not an album, that launched one of the most sucessful careers EVER. At one point the guy single handedly accounted for 2% of the record sells IN THE WORLD!

And MercyMe's Almost There album brought Christian praise and worship music to the masses. Who hasn't heard "I Can Only Imagine"? The whole landscape of Contemporary Christian music has changed because of those North East Texas boys.
There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that his ship has sailed and that only a fool would continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool. ~Big Fish
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 02:01 PM   #85
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

well since everyone is just throwing stuff out there, i'll add..

Radiohead: Pablo Honey
System of a Down: self titled (was great when it first came out, holy smokes)
The shins: oh inverted world
Old 08-30-2005, 08:22 AM   #86
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
Quote:
Originally posted by: SaltwaterChaffy
Sike, this is completely without research, totally off of the top of my head, I'll post a few others later when I think about it.

I'm going to go with David Bowie's Space Oddity.

The self-titled track is obviously amazing, and has passed into the pop-culture realm of well-known songs. Bowie's voice is amazing, and he does some great guitar work on a lot of the songs. Other highlights are Memories of a Free Festival, Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud, Cygnet Committee, and Unwashed And Somewhat Slightly Dazed.

Was this his debut album? I thought it was that really strange one he had with "bombadier", "little boy blue", "please mr. gravedigger", etc. But possibly this one was released after space oddity.
I just looked it up on AllMusic, and it appears that you might be right. But, as I said, it was "without research." Also, Man of Music (which would later be re-released as Space Oddity) was his US debut. So, take that for what it's worth.

Also, props for bumping a year old thread, this had some good stuff in it.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 09:12 AM   #87
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

Though I can't disagree with those that feel Led Zep I is the best debut, I'll have to go with...... The Who - "The Who Sings My Generation." This was an explosion of power chords and young man blues 4 years before Zep dropped I. Daltrey's energy when he sings "My Generation," makes this song an anthem for the youth. Keith Moon establishes himself as the most exciting drummer in rock, and Townshend rattles the stun-guitar.

Honorable Mention: Jimi Hendrix - "Are You Experienced?", Stevie Ray Vaughan - "Texas Flood", Pearl Jam - "Ten", The Doors - Self Titled, Counting Crows - "August and Everything After"

Any talk about best debut album also has to include Hootie and the Blowfish - "Cracked Rearview". Say what you will about them, they've always remained true, and every song on this album was solid, most being hits. In fact, it's one of the best selling debut albums of all time.
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 01:14 PM   #88
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I dont really like nirvana and no they didnt invent grunge as many people act like they did(pearl Jam was before Nirvana in the seatle rock scene) but Nevermind was one of the most popular debut cds ever. I think that the obvious old rock bands Zep, beatles etc are obviously at the top of the list. I am 19 and i listen to these bands though i like the eagles better. Will my kids listen to Linkin Park? I dont know but hybrid theory which was their original name was a great cd that influenced alot of music. It was the first of the rap rock. A genre I generally hate but even metallica was influenced by it. St anger is definately influenced by rap rock which was basically started by LP. Yes it was their debut. They have had 2 1/2 cds and a live album. Hybrid Theory, Re-animated-remixes of songs on hybrid theory, Meteora, and Live from Texas. Not counting their Jayz mash up cd.

A band that no one has mentioned that I think is interesting is Oasis. Is standing on the shoulders of giants their debut? I didnt follow them at the time but it is a great cd if it was their debut. About audioslave I have that cd and i would add cochise and set it off to the list of songs on that cd. BTW music fans listen to a cd called silence by blindside if you get a chance. They are a semi christian band and it is a great cd. Despite their lack of popularity it went triple platinum. The two hits are pitiful and sleepwalking. If you do pm me and let me know what you think. A really good friend of mine is probably their biggest fan and we went and saw them live when they were at the door on aug the 6th. Good live show
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 01:54 PM   #89
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: AnMan21
Counting Crows - "August and Everything After"

Any talk about best debut album also has to include Hootie and the Blowfish - "Cracked Rearview". Say what you will about them, they've always remained true, and every song on this album was solid, most being hits. In fact, it's one of the best selling debut albums of all time.

AnMan, I agree, and posted both of these earlier in the thread. good choices.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:55 PM   #90
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Also i am surprised no one mentioned My Own Prison by Creed. 4 Number 1 singles in My own Prison, Torn, One, and What's this Life for. Great Cd and was their debut any thoughts?
Old 08-31-2005, 04:22 PM   #91
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

except creed sucks. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

actually, i really like "My Own Prison"
Old 08-31-2005, 05:24 PM   #92
Five-ofan
Guru

Granted weathered was not a good cd and they did not have anywhere near enough songs to do a greatest hits (How does a band with 33 songs total come out with a greatest hits?) that Cd was great and so was Human clay. Just my opinion though they were the first and only rock band to ever have 8 number 1 singles on the overall billboard chart to begin their career. Any thoughts on Oasis? Is standing on the shoulders of giants their debut? If not what is? Has anyone even heard of blindside? You have heard pitiful if you listen to alt rock. Its the early 2000s song that the only words youll remember if you dont routinely listen to blindside are "AND ILL REMEMBER EVERY WORD YOU SAY"
Old 08-31-2005, 08:20 PM   #93
Five-ofan
Guru

Also btw not as musically signifigant but sinner by the original and only real Drowning Pool was a very good cd.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:02 PM   #94
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

Five-ofan Linkin Park was by far not the originator of the rap/rock genre. That genre has been around for quite some time but hit popularity in the late 90's behind groups like Limp Bizkit, Korn, though it did get more popular after Hybrid theory. Even earlier there was the Beastie Boys, Sublime, 311, RATM, House of Pain(Everlast). There are also less known bands that were doing that genre way before Linkin Park, like Pimpadelic, Shootyz Groove, Kottonmouth Kings, Hed PE, CrazyTown and there were even the novelty rap/rock bands like ICP before LP.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:04 PM   #95
Fah Q
Golden Member

All of these are great first albums.

Marilyn Manson - Portrait of an American Family was a great first release
Deftones- Adrenaline(Around the fur was much better)
Staind - Dysfunction
Tool - Opiate
A perfect circle - Mer De Noms
Alice in Chains - Dirt
Live - Mental Jewelry
Silverchair - Frogstomp
Toadies - Rubberneck
Prodigy - The Prodigy experience (The best techno CD ever)
Sneaker Pimps - Becoming X
Daft Punk - Homework
Nelly - Country Grammar
Bone thugs & harmony - Creepin on tha come up
Ludacris - back for the first time (which was originally called incognegro)
Three six mafia - The end
TLC - crazy sexy cool

Edited to add more
Old 08-31-2005, 09:20 PM   #96
Five-ofan
Guru

Korn isnt rap rock. or I guess you could classify them that way but Korn is metal. Limp Bizkit yes but Korn not really. Would you consider slipknot raprock? If not listen to spit it out. It is by far faster than anything korn does. Yeah though not the first just the first I listened to. Sinner is better than MM's debut.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:24 PM   #97
Fah Q
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Five-ofan
Korn isnt rap rock. or I guess you could classify them that way but Korn is metal. Limp Bizkit yes but Korn not really. Would you consider slipknot raprock? If not listen to spit it out. It is by far faster than anything korn does. Yeah though not the first just the first I listened to. Sinner is better than MM's debut.
I didn't say that Korn was rap/rock but they pushed the rap/rock movement forward by many of their songs which were in that genre.

And I disagree, MM debut was much better than Sinner, Drowning pool was a good band but nothing special.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:07 PM   #98
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: Fah Q

And I disagree, MM debut was much better than Sinner, Drowning pool was a good band but nothing special.
Thank you, Fahq. So many people think drowning pool is the best thing that's blessed god's green earth. Come on people, if the lead singer hadn't of died, they wouldn't be but a blip on the music industry radar (this is probably true about more than just drowning pool...). sure, they aren't bad. I'd even say they could be above average, but the pedistal some people put these guys on is fracking ridiculous.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:55 AM   #99
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: Five-ofan
I dont really like nirvana and no they didnt invent grunge as many people act like they did(pearl Jam was before Nirvana in the seatle rock scene) but Nevermind was one of the most popular debut cds ever.
There is soooo much wrong in this post, but I'll go ahead and point out the most obvious. Nevermind was not a debut CD.

Also, Standing on the Shoulders of Giants was released in 2000, well after Oasis' 1994 debut with Definitely Maybe. Both DM and (What's the Story) Morning Glory are far. far. far superior to Standing on the Shoulders of Giants.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 08:55 AM   #100
Five-ofan
Guru

we already covered that nm was their NATIONAL debut cd, is drowning pool overrated because dave williams died? Yeah, I said that its not the best debut ever and now that I remember definately maybe you are right it was a better cd. I was just throwing some stuff out there. THe competition was over after the first post. Its Zep hands down but im just throwing out some of the newer music, ps creed's my own prison sold around 15 million copies.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:02 AM   #101
Joey

Creed's "My Own Prison" was/is an amazing album!
There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that his ship has sailed and that only a fool would continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool. ~Big Fish
Old 09-02-2005, 10:17 AM   #102
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Joey
because people had yet to realize that all their songs sound the same...
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 10:33 AM   #103
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

How about "International Pop Overthrow" by Material Issue. Still the quintessential power pop album, in my opinion.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 12:29 PM   #104
Joey

Quote:
Originally posted by: AnMan21
Quote:
Originally posted by: Joey
because people had yet to realize that all their songs sound the same...
That is true. But you can't deny them their first album.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:30 PM   #105
Joey

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
How about "International Pop Overthrow" by Material Issue. Still the quintessential power pop album, in my opinion.
Does that mean you are leaving out Britney's ...Baby one more time album or NKOTB's Debut (whatever it was called)? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2005, 01:32 PM   #106
Five-ofan
Guru

Not all of creed's songs sound the same. I know where the sentiment comes from. Higher and my sacrifice are the same song with different words. However, My own Prison, torn, one, and whats this life for do not all sound the same. Plus even if their later songs sounded the same (Some of them did) that doesnt affect the first cd.