Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-24-2005, 06:03 PM   #1
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of
Default Debut of new Radio show

Yeah, it's mine. It's probably going to be really bad. I'm pretty nervous about it. Eventually I'll be talking about sports some, but since it's my first show, and I'm not sure what I'm doing, I just have a two hour block of music planned.

If anybody is interested in listening, you can tune in online at The Wire

Mondays 8 p.m.-10p.m.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2005, 06:11 PM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Debut of new Radio show

edit: Nevermind... I think that is just someone else.....

Carry on, nothing to see here.... Cows turn themselves inside out ALL the time......
Old 01-24-2005, 07:17 PM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Debut of new Radio show

Awesome. Have a blast. You'll be fine. Be sure to talk some poker if you get the chance!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:59 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Cool...good for you..

I'll check it out.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 11:34 PM   #5
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Well, it went alright. A couple of dead air spots, but nothing too drastic. U2, as I was playing it, I rememebered that you sent me the Stone Roses song that I played, so I hope you were listening.

We did have a brief banter section, and hopefully we'll have more of that, but as it was my first show, and I'm not completely familiar with the equipment, I stuck with just playing music for the most part.

For the few of you who did listen (anyone?) I appreciate it. Criticism from anyone? Ways to improve?

Old 01-25-2005, 11:08 AM   #6
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't listen... but I will next Monday. Sorry I missed the greatness of I Am the Resurrection. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-25-2005, 01:48 PM   #7
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

What did your playlist look like, Chaff? I didn't get to listen this time, but I'll try to tune in soon. If the rest of the music is as good as that Stone Roses track, anyway. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-25-2005, 03:36 PM   #8
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Here's the playlist from last night.

1. John Lennon – Instant Karma
2. The Shins – Caring is Creepy
3. The Dandy Warhols – Not If You Were The Last Junkie on Earth
4. Belle & Sebastian – The Stars of Track and Field
5. The Stone Roses – I Am The Resurrection
6. Pink Floyd – Wish You Were Here
7. Citizen Cope – Appetite for Lighting Dynomite
8. Our Lady Peace – Carnival
9. The Smiths – Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want
10. Bob Marley – Redemption Song
11. A Perfect Circle – Three Libras
12. The Beatles – Happiness Is A Warm Gun
13. Tom Waits – Fumblin’ With The Blues
14. Green Day – Give Me Novacaine
15. Gomez – Rhythm and Blues Alibi
16. Queens of the Stone Age – The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret
17. Sonic Youth – Teenage Riot
18. CKY – Flesh Into Gear
19. . R.E.M. – Nightswimming
20. The Beach Boys – Sloop John B.
21. The White Stripes – Hello Operator
22. Beck – Cold Brains
23. The Foo Fighters – Hey, Johnny Park!
24. Stone Temple Pilots – Seven Caged Tigers
25. Sublime – Bad Fish

Old 01-25-2005, 11:23 PM   #9
chumdawg
Guru

Nice playlist. Especially fond of the B&S track.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:02 PM   #10
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I will try to check it out...very cool playlist...I would expect nothing less from Chaff.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 01:46 PM   #11
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Another show lined up tonight. My co-host Chris (who has more experience at this than I do) won't be there, so expect me to be kinda quiet, and maybe a few screwups. But hopefully I'll get the hang of things. I've got a decent list lined up tonight. Some Zep, Dylan, Bowie, Sigur Ros, Coldplay, Cornershop, Billy Bragg, Fugazi, etc. I'll post the full playlist later if anyone wants it.

Old 01-31-2005, 01:53 PM   #12
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

i want it

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 01-31-2005, 06:00 PM   #13
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Length is never an issue sike, last week I played an 8 minute song and a 7 minute song, and I've got a few more long ones lined up for tonight. I skipped a couple of the songs that I put on CD last week due to time constraint, so that might happen again. But here is what is the tentative lineup for tonight.

Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
Bob Dylan - Like a Rolling Stone
David Bowie - Modern Love
Modest Mouse - Neverending Math Equation
Alice in Chains - Got Me Wrong (Unplugged)
Sigur Ros - Staralfur
Coldplay - Warning Sign
Jurassic 5 - Quality Control
Kanye West - Never Let Me Down
Velvet Revolver - Suckertrain Blues
Zamfir - The Lonely Shepherd (Kill Bill vol. 1 soundtrack)
Flaming Lips - Fight Test
Cornershop - Norwegian Wood
Ben Harper - Like a King
Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees
Ben Folds - Fred Jones (pt. 2)
Fugazi - Blueprint
The Ramones - Sheena is a Punk Rocker
Silverchair - Miss You Love
Billy Bragg - At My Window Sad and Lonely
Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
TV On The Radio - Staring at the Sun
Living Colour - Cult of Personality

Old 01-31-2005, 08:26 PM   #14
chumdawg
Guru

Sweet playlist.

For future shows, if length is not an issue, then may I suggest "Nothing This Beautiful" by Dallas's own Pleasant Grove. It's the kind of song that shines your shoes and calls you Suzie.

Also some Bright Eyes, perhaps? How about "June on the West Coast."

Anyway, rock on man. I'll try to tune in tonight!
Old 01-31-2005, 11:13 PM   #15
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Well, the automated system wasn't working and my partner wasn't there, so the show could have been bad. But, I pushed all the right buttons and said all the right things, so I think it ended up as a decent show. Thanks to any who listened this week. Same time next Monday, 8-10.

Old 02-01-2005, 12:14 PM   #16
chumdawg
Guru

I tuned in, Chaff. Didn't notice a single thing, as far as any technical issues. I did notice that you had your uber-cool college-radio-station voice going on. Very nice.

The Zamfir track is groovy. I needs to check that soundtrack out.

Oh, and my personal favorite part of the show was the lead-in to the Fugazi track--something like, "It's time to add some punk to this show," or something. What was it you said?
Old 02-01-2005, 03:58 PM   #17
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg

Oh, and my personal favorite part of the show was the lead-in to the Fugazi track--something like, "It's time to add some punk to this show," or something. What was it you said?
I had noticed about halfway through the show that I had a tooon of mellow music. Which is fine, I love mellow stuff. But stuck in the middle of it was sort of this mini-punk block of Fugazi and the Ramones.

So I said something to the effect of how the fact that I was feeling kinda sick probably led to such a mellow playlist. But it was time to speed up the show with a mini-punk set.

Old 02-07-2005, 07:15 PM   #18
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Tonight's playlist

Spoon – The Way We Get By
The Animals – House of the Rising Sun
Simon and Garfunkel – The Only Living Boy in New York
Lou Reed – Andy’s Chest
Stevie Wonder – Sir Duke
Pink Floyd – Comfortably Numb
Tom Waits – I Hope that I Don’t Fall in Love With You
Beastie Boys – Remote Control
Bran Van 3000 – Loaded
Outkast – Hey Ya!
The Streets – Stay Positive
Handsome Boy Modeling School – The Projects
Dizzee Rascal – Learn
Jim Croce – Bad, Bad Leroy Brown
Public Enemy – Bring The Noise
The Mars Volta – Televators
The Smiths – The Queen is Dead
Oasis – Married with Children
Auf der Maur – Followed the Waves
The Meat Puppets – Backwater
K’s Choice – Not an Addict
Bob Dylan – One More Cup of Coffee
The Rolling Stones – Sympathy for the Devil
Blur – Coffee and TV
Blue Man Group – Up to the Roof
Sublime – Boss DJ

Old 02-07-2005, 11:16 PM   #19
sike
The Preacha

A Request: "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - Zep

Old 02-14-2005, 12:42 AM   #20
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

So, my computer is kinda broken, and I won't have it for a week, so my posting this week will be pretty sporadic. Also, I won't be able to make up a list for my show tomorrow because of it. Luckily, my partner (and Chris) will be putting together the music, but I make no guarantees about his choices. Any listeners might be in store for lots of arena rock hair bands and death metal tomorrow.

Sike, once I get my comp back, I'll make sure to honor your request for next week's show.

chum, I listened to the Bright Eyes track you suggested, just not my style. I couldn't find a copy of the Pleasant Grove song, maybe you can send it to me at some point for screening. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 02-14-2005, 12:45 AM   #21
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Sike, once I get my comp back, I'll make sure to honor your request for next week's show.
GOD bless you.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-14-2005, 09:01 PM   #22
sike
The Preacha

I'm listening....love shack right now

Old 02-14-2005, 10:01 PM   #23
Big_Dog

Big_Dog will become famous soon enough

Nice to see that people likes Sigur Rós... keep playing more of their stuff
Old 02-15-2005, 09:00 AM   #24
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
I'm listening....love shack right now
Yeah, love shack wasn't me. The people before me ran a bit over. My show started with "Happy Valentine's Day" by Outkast.

Old 02-15-2005, 12:01 PM   #25
sike
The Preacha

so none of the music you played was your selection?

Old 02-15-2005, 04:40 PM   #26
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

No, none from last night. I chose to play Outkast's "Happy Valentine's Day," but after that, my show partner Chris was in charge of last night's music. I was still introducing music and talking a lot. He had a pretty good selection going, some I liked, some I didn't. Overall, it came off pretty well though.

Old 02-21-2005, 06:14 PM   #27
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Tonight's show:

Led Zeppelin – Babe I’m Gonna Leave You
Polyphonic Spree – Hold Me Now
The Yardbirds – For Your Love
Fiona Apple – Sleep to Dream
Bob Marley – No Woman, No Cry
Little Richard – Ready Teddy
Sam Cooke – A Change is Gonna Come
Tom Waits – House Where Nobody Lives
The Toadies – Possum Kingdom
Beck – Jackass
Sublime – STP
Eminem – Encore
Outkast – Rosa Parks
Gorillaz – Rock the House
Nirvana – Drain You
The White Stripes – I Just Don’t Know What to Do With Myself
The Cure – Friday I’m In Love
Ben Folds Five – Eddie Walker
Joni Mitchell – Blue
Tool – Forty-Six and 2
The Doors – Touch Me
Pearl Jam - Black
The Beatles – Helter Skelter
Tori Amos – Enjoy the Silence
The Shins – Know Your Onion!
V.A.S.T. – Dirty Hole

Old 02-21-2005, 07:28 PM   #28
sike
The Preacha

Me likey Chaffy's musical sensibilities

Old 03-07-2005, 07:37 PM   #29
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Set list for tonight:

Mars Volta – The Widow
Kyuss – Space Cadet
Pearl Jam – I am Mine
Johnny Marr – Caught Up
The White Stripes – Jolene
Pink Floyd – Pigs (Three Different Ones)
Radiohead – Street Spirit
Smashing Pumpkins – Zero
The Ramones – Bonzo Goes to Bitburg
Beck – Mixed Bizness
The Killers – Andy, You’re a Star
David Bowie – Ziggy Stardust
Elton John – I Guess That’s Why They Call It The Blues
Metallica – Fade to Black
Green Day – Jesus of Suburbia
Sneaker Pimps – Six Underground
Dollybraid – San Pedro
MC Paul Barman – Excuse You
James Brown – The Boss
Wyclef Jean – Gunpowder
Blackalicious – Deception
The Fugees – How Many Mics
The Shins – New Slang

Old 03-08-2005, 04:05 PM   #30
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

MC Paul Barman. HAHA. I forgot about him. I like "the joy of your world" and all those songs on that EP.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 06:38 PM   #31
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Tonight's playlist

Nirvana – Verse Chorus Verse
Pink Floyd – Take It Back
Tom Waits – Make It Rain
Sparklehorse – King of Nails
Seu Jeorge – Carolina
Sublime f/ Pharcyde – Summertime
Guns ‘n’ Roses – November Rain
Ozzy Osbourne – War Pigs
Pantera – Cemetery Gates
Yo La Tengo – We’re an American Band
Blue Man Group f/ Peter Moore – The Complex
The Mars Volta – L’Via L’Viaquez
UNKLE – Rabbit In Your Headlights
Billy Bragg – The Unwelcome Guest
The Beatles – While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Modest Mouse – Other People’s Lives
Foo Fighters – Come Back
Tricky – Diss Never
Stone Temple Pilots – Trippin’ on a Hole In A Paper Heart

Old 03-21-2005, 06:56 PM   #32
chumdawg
Guru

Is Pantera seriously covering The Smiths?

How 'bout some Pavement, dude?
Old 03-21-2005, 07:52 PM   #33
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Quote:
Is Pantera seriously covering The Smiths?

How 'bout some Pavement, dude?
Two completely different songs dawg. What's a Pavement album I should check out?

Old 03-21-2005, 10:08 PM   #34
chumdawg
Guru

I had an inkling that it may not be the same song.

As for Pavement, "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain" would be the one. You may know the song "Cut Your Hair" from the early- to mid-90's. My fave on that album is "Range Life."

From what I understand, Pavement were pretty influential in their own right. Certainly for bands like Stone Temple Pilots, who I saw on your setlist.

You listen to Alizee, bro?
Old 03-28-2005, 12:56 PM   #35
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Nirvana – About a Girl
Velvet Underground – I’ll Be Your Mirror
Faith No More – Epic
R.E.M. – What’s the Frequency, Kenneth?
System of a Down – Spiders
Smashing Pumpkins – Mayonnaise
Velvet Revolver – You Got No Right
Pink Floyd – On the Turning Away
Ben Harper – Steal My Kisses
Stevie Wonder – Always
Lou Reed – Walk on the Wild Side
Green Day – Nice Guys Finish Last
White Stripes – Offend In Every Way
Metallica – One
Steppenwolf – Magic Carpet Ride
Toadies – Possum Kingdom
Stone Roses – I Wanna Be Adored
Stranglers – Golden Brown
Sublime – Scarlet Begonias
Beck – Guess I’m Doing Fine
Queens of the Stone Age – Someone’s in the Wolf
Cee-Lo Green – Let’s Stay Together
Rolling Stones – Angie
Radiohead – Planet Telex
Tragically Hip – Nautical Disaster

Old 04-04-2005, 12:49 PM   #36
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Beck – Que Onda Guero
Bran Van 3000 – Rainshine
Jimi Hendrix – 3rd Stone From The Sun
David Bowie – Sweet Head
Guided by Voices – Motor Away
Cornershop – Candy Man
Wu-Tang Clan – Triumph
Outkast – Player’s Ball
A Tribe Called Quest – Jazz
Beastie Boys – Rhymin’ and Stealin’
Elvis Costello – Charm School
Nirvana – Marigold
Green Day – Hitchin’ a Ride
Duran Duran – White Lines
Starlight Mints – Buena Vista
Silver Jews – Advice to the Graduate
AC/DC – Hells Bells
Audioslave – Show Me How To Live
The Beatles – Eleanor Rigby
Ray Charles – Mess Around
Tom Waits – Sins of my Father
Queens of the Stone Age – I Never Came
The Ramones – Rock ‘n’ Roll High School
Silverchair – Tomorrow
Oasis – Hey Now!
Ben Folds Five - Underground

Old 04-04-2005, 12:51 PM   #37
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

play some GZA. anything off Liquid Swords.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:00 PM   #38
sike
The Preacha

"The Rain Song" ZEP - Houses of the Holy

Old 04-09-2005, 11:04 AM   #39
endtroducing
Golden Member

recent favorites:

Beulah - Your Mother Loves You Son
Mission of Burma - Academy Fight Song
DJ Shadow - Building Steam with a Grain of Salt
Doves - Some Cities
Of Montreal - Old People in the Cemetary
Crime Mob - Knuck if You Buck
Jay-Z - Anything
Jimi Hendrix - Little Wing
Keren Ann - Que N'ai-je
PJ Harvey - Good Fortune
Raekwon - Incarcerated Scarfaces
Old 04-09-2005, 11:09 AM   #40
endtroducing
Golden Member

Quote:
I had an inkling that it may not be the same song.

As for Pavement, "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain" would be the one. You may know the song "Cut Your Hair" from the early- to mid-90's. My fave on that album is "Range Life."

From what I understand, Pavement were pretty influential in their own right. Certainly for bands like Stone Temple Pilots, who I saw on your setlist.

You listen to Alizee, bro?
I wouldn't consider Pavement as an influence on STP...two really different styles. if Pavement influenced anyone, it was bands like Weezer, Superdrag, Nada Surf and guys like Ben Kweller.

one of my favorite bands ever...