Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 05-09-2005, 01:19 PM   #1
DeutchlandDirk

DeutchlandDirk is on a distinguished road
Default SMU University

Hey, im new here. Longtime lurker and even longer time Mavs fan. Next year i'll be attending SMU University on a full ride scholarship (currently I live in Charlotte, NC). Can anyone here give me any helpful tidbits they may know anout the school, the area, ect. Thanks a bunch! Look forward to being in Dallas next year (oh, and I have visited the school twice).
DeutchlandDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2005, 01:21 PM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: SMU University

rich brats... not sure how helpful that is.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 01:26 PM   #3
DeutchlandDirk

Default RE:SMU University

lol, yeah, i wouldn't be going if I didn't get the full ride [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-09-2005, 01:28 PM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

don't get me wrong, its a great school (the education)....but the student body drives me crazy.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 05-09-2005, 01:35 PM   #5
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Where's Dooby when you need him? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-09-2005, 01:37 PM   #6
DeutchlandDirk

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
don't get me wrong, its a great school (the education)....but the student body drives me crazy.
Really? Are they that bad? You have bleakened my enthusiasm my friend [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Old 05-09-2005, 01:51 PM   #7
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I have a good friend that goes there now, and another that used to. The one that used to transferred to UT because she couldn't stand the snobby attitudes. The other says she gets snears because she drives a (nice) honda accord and not a bmw.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:53 PM   #8
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: DeutchlandDirk
Quote:
Really? Are they that bad? You have bleakened my enthusiasm my friend [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
no, no, you'll love it. like I said, the education is wonderful. But as a Christian, it is hard for me to swallow how far the campus has strayed from its foundations. Not knowing you, I have no clue whether or not it will bother you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-09-2005, 02:17 PM   #9
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

By student body he means there are tons of hot chicks. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 02:58 PM   #10
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

is this a full-ride water ballet scholarship?
Old 05-09-2005, 03:14 PM   #11
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

A few of the engineering students from SMU did an internship type thing with our company last year. There were 2 girls and 4 guys. Most of the them were really cool. Even the rich, hot, midriff-exposing Miller Light girl was pretty down to earth most of the time. I haven't known a lot of SMU students, but the ones I've encountered were all pretty cool.

Let not your heart be downcast. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Welcome to Dallas!
Old 05-09-2005, 03:30 PM   #12
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If I went there, the hot chicks would drive my student body crazy.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:10 PM   #13
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
Quote:
If I went there, the hot chicks would drive my student body crazy.
baaaazing!

Old 05-09-2005, 04:16 PM   #14
DeutchlandDirk

Lol, I only drive a PT Cruiser, im sure that wouldn't settle well. When I was there visiting it was conspicuous that its an almost all white school and I saw a ton of nice cars. Im a down to earth person, and I have lot's of friends here, half of which are black, asian, ect. so that will be something new. On the bright side, im a big time Republican, so at least i'll have one thing going for them [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Also, I play basketball competively almost everyday, do you know if there is a open gym on campus or where a nearby YMCA or in door basketball court for the public is?

I appreciate all you guy's help
Old 05-09-2005, 04:24 PM   #15
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

did i mention the girls are hot?

isn't that what SMU used to recruit athletes? Not the promise of money or gifts. but the promise of hot chicks. anyone ever see "He Got Game"? I think that stuff used to happen at SMU. but dooby would be the best bet to ask about all that.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:40 PM   #16
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

I read a story about Eric Dickerson where he said during his recruitment week at SMU, he saw so many hot African-American chicks all over campus. However, when he started going there, for some reason they all disappeared.

Yes, DeutchlandDirk, I would say it is a pre-dominantly caucasian student population. But, if that is somehow an issue for you, then don't worry because SMU is also in the heart of the downtown Dallas (plenty of variety).
Old 05-09-2005, 04:41 PM   #17
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Lol, I only drive a PT Cruiser, im sure that wouldn't settle well. When I was there visiting it was conspicuous that its an almost all white school and I saw a ton of nice cars. Im a down to earth person, and I have lot's of friends here, half of which are black, asian, ect. so that will be something new. On the bright side, im a big time Republican, so at least i'll have one thing going for them [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Also, I play basketball competively almost everyday, do you know if there is a open gym on campus or where a nearby YMCA or in door basketball court for the public is?

I'm sure there's an open gym. I think every college has a gym to use. I don't know of a YMCA in the area, and I would bet there isn't one in the area. There are outside public basketball courts around the area. The Mavericks summer league team plays a game or two at SMU, so that's fun. The girls there are amazing! I have a number of friends there...and I wouldn't say they are snotty or anything. SMU is in a very wealthy area and some of the people there are loaded, so I guess that's part of it. I've thought about transferring there for a few reasons, but that doesn't seem likely anymore. The school has a great Spanish art museum. You should have a lot of fun there. Sure, there will be people that might annoy you, but that's just about anywhere. One knock on the school is that supposedly a lot of kids there smoke (bothers a lot of people). I have two friends that picked up smoking there. Luckily for me, I go to a school where only a handful at most smoke.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:52 PM   #18
DeutchlandDirk

Quote:
Originally posted by: DubOverdose
Quote:

I'm sure there's an open gym. I think every college has a gym to use. I don't know of a YMCA in the area, and I would bet there isn't one in the area. There are outside public basketball courts around the area. The Mavericks summer league team plays a game or two at SMU, so that's fun. The girls there are amazing! I have a number of friends there...and I wouldn't say they are snotty or anything. SMU is in a very wealthy area and some of the people there are loaded, so I guess that's part of it. I've thought about transferring there for a few reasons, but that doesn't seem likely anymore. The school has a great Spanish art museum. You should have a lot of fun there. Sure, there will be people that might annoy you, but that's just about anywhere. One knock on the school is that supposedly a lot of kids there smoke (bothers a lot of people). I have two friends that picked up smoking there. Luckily for me, I go to a school where only a handful at most smoke.
That's a shame about the smoking. If I have never touched a cigarrette in my life, absolutely loathe smoking. Good news about the hot girls, I noticed that when I visited. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Also, I read somewhere Dirk lives near SMU, that's cool, as is the Summer League thing.

Old 05-09-2005, 04:53 PM   #19
kingrex
Platinum Member

Are you a dirk stalker? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-09-2005, 05:02 PM   #20
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

They suck at football. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

haaa ahahahahaha
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 06:35 PM   #21
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

i don't go to smu, but i'm from the area and know several people that go there, so i thought i'd add my two cents...

hp is a pretty terrible college town in my mind, but you're close to downtown dallas, so that will be a plus. as far as basketball, i'm sure they must have an open gym there, although i have never seen or heard of it. however, there are several outdoor basketball hoops in the park cities, as well as a ymca about 5-10 minutes from campus (although i don't know how much pickup basketball is actually played there).

whoever mentioned the summer league games...those are pretty cool. they also play the global games there in the summer, which feature some young international prospects (i believe darko was there 3 years back). i went to the games with a few friends two years ago, and dirk actually showed up once, which was pretty exciting. oh, and dirk does live close to smu (across the street from one of my good friends, which is how i know...) so that's pretty cool.

i wouldn't worry too much about the snobby attitude. i'm sure there are people there that are like that, but most smu students i know are fairly intelligent and down to earth. good luck there...i'm sure everything will work out well!

oh, and by the way, you have to go to jack's burger house. i'm not sure if it's an smu hangout or anything, but the burgers and fries are damn good.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:45 PM   #22
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
oh, and by the way, you have to go to jack's burger house.
The original Burger House on Mockingbird is very, very darned good. I think it's won more 'Best Burger' and 'Best Fries' awards from the DMN, Observer, and D Magazine than any other burger place in Dallas, and their seasoned salt is so good that when I attended undergrad out of state, I used to take a couple of containers of it back with me every time I left Dallas to go back to school.

Just to get back on topic though... I'm currently taking some graduate courses at SMU, and annoying parking issues aside, I like it and think it would probably be a blast to attend undergrad there. As other folks have said, there are many extremely attactive girls who attend the school, and even though Highland Park isn't really a good college town-like area, you can always head on over to Greenville to take advantage of the good bars in that area if you are looking for diversions. Additionally, I don't know if there's an open gym that hosts pickup basketball games on campus at SMU, and I'm also unfamiliar with any outdoor games available in the immediate vicinity of HP, but I do know that there are a lot of good games to be found further North in Dallas, (at various rec centers and high school gyms, at UTD, and on outdoor courts, etc... ) and I know that I, and I'd bet that any other of the pickup basketball playing posters on this board, would be happy to give you some tips if you can't find any good games once you move down here....
Old 05-09-2005, 09:13 PM   #23
DeutchlandDirk

Thanks a bunch guy's, I really appreciate the help. When I go down to Dallas in August I'd love to mabye meet some of you guy's, play some ball or whatever.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:19 PM   #24
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

... and you might want to add an 's' in your name to make it DeutschlandDirk instead of DeutchlandDirk... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:21 PM   #25
DeutchlandDirk

Quote:
Originally posted by: twelli
... and you might want to add an 's' in your name to make it DeutschlandDirk instead of DeutchlandDirk... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Why? Deutchland is my last name

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-10-2005, 01:45 AM   #26
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks a bunch guy's, I really appreciate the help. When I go down to Dallas in August I'd love to mabye meet some of you guy's, play some ball or whatever.
Can you really get into a school like SMU these days when you don't even know how to pluralize a basic noun?

chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:13 AM   #27
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Quote:
Can you really get into a school like SMU these days when you don't even know how to pluralize a basic noun?
Be nice.... On the subject though, SMU is really easy to get in to. It was one of my back ups. Their administration office is messed up. One of my friends got 2 other peoples acceptance letters and someones rejection letter....plus her own acceptance letter.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:46 AM   #28
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I went to SMU for grad school. The comments about social life on campus are pretty accurate. The students are for the most part very well off. The Greeks dominate the campus. The good news is that the women are very, very hot. They are so hot, it hurts. I would think being in a fraternity would be your best shot at scoring with dozens of the hottest women you'll ever see.

As for basketball, they have a gym that is always packed with guys playing pickup games. I played intramural for the business school, and we went up against mostlry undergrads. The talent level is surprisingly high. I remember one game in which the team we played against was blowing us out, and they tried to get every player on their team an opportunity to dunk on us before the game was called on account of point margin. They were successful. Even the short white guy alley ooped on my head. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:52 AM   #29
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
They were successful. Even the short white guy alley ooped on my head.
a sad day in Monkeyland no doubt. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-10-2005, 11:15 AM   #30
DeutchlandDirk

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Quote:
Yep, I don't now how to do that. Im just a big dumbass. I got into UNC and Duke by the way. I guess it would be unfeasable for me to have possibly made a typo and simply not noticed or not cared because it was a message board. But you are right, making a small grammar mistake on a basketball message board is certainly the best way to gauge one's intelligence, screw SAT's, ACT's, grades, ect.

Old 05-10-2005, 11:31 AM   #31
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I apologize. The comment was really targeted more toward SMU than toward you. Again, my apologies.

Incidentally, how well *did* you score on SAT Verbal?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 11:33 AM   #32
kingrex
Platinum Member

Quote:

Yep, I don't now how to do that. Im just a big dumbass. I got into UNC and Duke by the way. I guess it would be unfeasable for me to have possibly made a typo and simply not noticed or not cared because it was a message board. But you are right, making a small grammar mistake on a basketball message board is certainly the best way to gauge one's intelligence, screw SAT's, ACT's, grades, ect.
Calm down, we're all friends here. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-10-2005, 03:49 PM   #33
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Scientific and mathematical types aren't always as gifted in the language arts. Those who are gifted in such areas often judge us for not measuring up to their standards, yet they couldn't find their way through a sixth grade level explanation of the Pythagoreum Theorum if their life depended on it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

You turned down Duke for SMU?! Okay, now I question your choices too. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] What field are you majoring in?
Old 05-10-2005, 05:06 PM   #34
DeutchlandDirk

I scored a 780 on verbal and 740 on math. I am sorry for seeming angry, but I didn't appreciate the insult, I mean it was one error on my part, it happens. Of course the SAT tested one's vocabulary, thought process and reading skills more then one's grammar skills, so I guess those errors are still fair game [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Yes, I know Duke is a better school, but Duke is also extremely expensive, I got a full Ride from SMU, I'd have to pay some 30,000 a year for Duke.

I plan on majoring in History, Business or Political Science.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:23 PM   #35
Smiles
Diamond Member

Quote:
I scored a 780 on verbal and 740 on math. I am sorry for seeming angry, but I didn't appreciate the insult, I mean it was one error on my part, it happens. Of course the SAT tested one's vocabulary, thought process and reading skills more then one's grammar skills, so I guess those errors are still fair game [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Yes, I know Duke is a better school, but Duke is also extremely expensive, I got a full Ride from SMU, I'd have to pay some 30,000 a year for Duke.

You can't beat a full ride - from a school like SMU. I'd recommend majoring in Business while stocking up on Political Sciences classes. At least, that's what I would do - if I had it to do again. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] History is fun though!

What do you play to do with your degree?
Old 05-10-2005, 05:36 PM   #36
DeutchlandDirk

Quote:
Originally posted by: Smiles
Quote:

You can't beat a full ride - from a school like SMU. I'd recommend majoring in Business while stocking up on Political Sciences classes. At least, that's what I would do - if I had it to do again. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] History is fun though!

What do you play to do with your degree?

What do you do yourself Smiles?

Thanks for the advice. I am not honestly sure as to what exactly I want to do yet. Of course basketball is my biggest passion, i'd love to be a commentator or play by play guy, ect. but that's unlikely. My dad owns a business which one day I plan on owning at least partially, I already have my hand in that. I'd love to own my own business, or mabye one day run for some sort of political office. I also love to write, so possibly some sort of work in writing books of a Historical nature would be fun.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:44 PM   #37
Smiles
Diamond Member

I'm an executive assistant. Not a glamorous title, but I do love most of my co-workers and the flexibility in my schedule. I'm going back to grad school in the fall, though I may defer since I'll be gone about 3 weeks in October.

I love your dreams! You should do a little research on how different people got into that line of business (bball, etc). I would almost guarantee you that a business degree would be the safest bet and would get you the farthest in sports related industries (assuming you get your foot in the door). What I wouldn't give to have a degree in business right now.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

You'll love Dallas - you might never want to leave!
Old 05-11-2005, 09:24 AM   #38
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

OK, now that the unwashed masses have had a chance to chime in, I will add my 2 cents. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I went to SMU. My wife went to SMU. My wife went and got her masters from SMU. I am on campus quite a lot.

It is a very good school. You will have all the opportunities in the world to do anything you want to do. BTW, what is the name of your scholarship? Dedman? Hunt? If so, you are probably an overacheiving genius. Everyone on this board should resent you.

The next 4 years will be an exciting time for SMU. Lots of construction. The George W. Bush Presidential Library should be announced in the next year or so (Sorry Doc, Baylor ain't getting it). Handful of other buildings.

I really think the snobbery thing is way overblown. My friends came from all over the economic and social spectrum. I think most outsiders would be surprised to see the number of people on financial aid at SMU. Yes, there are rich kids. And by rich, I mean unfathomably rich-I could tell you stories. And there are a lot of middle class kids trying to get by. SMU is really a much more diverse school than most people give it credit for.

You asked about basketball. The expanded Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports opens, I think, in the fall. It will have all the basketball courts you need. Intramurals are very competitive during the year. Especially on the greek level. The non-greek level is dominated by the graduate schools-my dorm my freshman year played the SMU MBA team in our first game and I was lined up against a 2nd team all SEC tight end.

HP is not a college town; it doesn't try to be and it isn't supposed to be. SMU is in Dallas. Dallas is where the bars are. As for social life, I was in a fraternity; my wife in a sorority. About half the student body is greek. There really is "a house for everybody" as they say. And the parties are a hell of a lot better than anything anywhere else.

women: If there is a school with better looking women, I would be shocked. It will really throw off your perspective when you go home or visit someplace else- especially if you go to the northeast.

Our football team is getting better dammit! As will be evidenced by the destruction of Baylor in September.

If you have any questions, I can probably give you an <u>actual answer</u>, as opposed to these other people.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:31 AM   #39
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Dooby is the source for all things SMU (as I mentioned near the beginning of this thread), but he does have a bit of a blind spot. The Ponies are going to get spanked in September, and the GWB Presidential Library is going to be located in Waco.

You can mark both of those things down. I'm completely unbiased on both issues.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-11-2005, 09:49 AM   #40
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Unbiased. Right. Wrong, but unbiased.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote