Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 08-27-2005, 10:15 AM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Subscription Music Services

I make digital music player semiconductors/software/etc. for a living and we've been implementing microsofts playforsure digital rights management. It enables subscription services for music, Yahoo Unlimited, Napster to Go etc.. Anyway.....

-----
I've just subscribed to Yahoo Unlimited and since I've never downloaded copyrighted content, I find this service quite neato. I can go and listen to any artist that I've either liked in the past or hear about for a $5.00/month fee. And not have to find an old album somewhere for $18.00 bucks or so. I know I could just purchase the single song but I can't get away from my love-affair with down-tracks.

What I'm curious about is other folks impression of Yahoo or Napster or even iTunes (I believe that iTunes is still a per-copy purchase site). One thing I'd be interested in unnderstanding is if Yahoo/Napster/iTunes has more content.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2005, 07:51 PM   #2
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough
Default RE:Subscription Music Services

it's my understanding the when you discontinue your service, all music you've "downloaded" on yahoo and napster is unavailable. i haven't used it, but does that mean it's more like accessing a server of music? what i like about iTunes is i can download the song i like and put it on my iPod forever. being a musician myself i generally buy any albums with at least 3 songs i like....so i only download songs like "sex and candy" where the rest of the cd is completely lame....

anyways, is it possible to get the music on you iPod forever with the Yahoo service?

i subscribe to Sirius satellite radio (for my 45 minute commute), but that's the only subscription music i have.
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 08:55 PM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Subscription Music Services

Yes it's like "renting" a music station on your cable. You don't own anything but can fill up your computer, music player with as much music as you have space for. You can delete, refill at will.

Yes you can purchase whatever songs you want, I think the price is 0.79 per copy. I'm not sure about an album. Let me look..

So Sex and Candy (by Marcy's Playground) is 0.79. Album in 8.47. (Hmmm still cheaper than at the brick and morter strore).

So yes you can purchase songs and then also have rental songs.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 08-27-2005, 08:56 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

Default RE: Subscription Music Services

For my 45 minute commute (as well) I've been downloading audio books from my local library. I can't take the radio stations (except NPR actually...no commercials) and can't listen to music all of the time.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:34 AM   #5
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Subscription Music Services

I subscribe to Yahoo music service. I didn't think I would like the idea of renting music, but Yahoo's music service is so much cheaper than the others that I decided to try it (I was already a sucbscriber to Yahoo's Launchcast radio so for me it was only a few more dollars to subscribe to Y!Music). Suprisingly its not so bad, and alot faster than stealing it with edonkey, etc. I'm thinking about getting one of the portables that work with Yahoo.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote