Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 10-13-2008, 11:01 PM   #121
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov
What does the N word have to do with that? I guess you found your way to get it in there some type of way. And you wonder why I think you are racist.
Obviously you are just a misogynist. Why should I care what a misogynist thinks of me?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 10-13-2008 at 11:03 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2008, 11:04 PM   #122
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Obviously, you think calling a black person the N word is alright. Now, you try calling a black person one in their face.
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:05 PM   #123
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Obviously, you think calling a black person the N word is alright. Now, you try calling a black person one in their face.
No I don't. Never have either, provide links please. But you obviously are a misogynist. You should look in the mirror, it's ugly.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 10-13-2008, 11:16 PM   #124
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

I love women, but you are indeed racist and also guilty of ethnocentrism.

Last edited by Silk Smoov; 10-13-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:18 PM   #125
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
I love women, but you are indeed racist and also guilty of ethnocentrism.
I don't really see how you can say that when you think it's quite okay to call someone such foul words. Oh I forgot...you are a liberal, so you can't be a misogynist...

You just think I'm racist because I don't love Hussein.

Last edited by dude1394; 10-13-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:27 PM   #126
Silk Smoov
Banned

I think you are racist by reading your posts. Palin is NOT black, so there is no way to reference her with the N word at all.. YOU did that!!!! Why? Because you are racist...Real simple.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:30 PM   #127
dude1394
Guru

Damn you are dense and a misogynist.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:09 AM   #128
Silk Smoov
Banned

Is misogynist (Your words) like the C word? I love women..Do you? Looks like you cant shake me off on this. I see you found a way to say N word again and compare it to C word as well. Then your silly as* compared the C word meaning to N word...Saying it is the same!!!! Silly as* dude, even the biggest racist knows that is not correct, but clearly you believe it. OR do you want to be like your buddy McCain and back track in a matter of minutes. I know you saw all the flip flopping on the McCain videos. Do you want to change your answer. I will wait..

Last edited by Silk Smoov; 10-14-2008 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:23 AM   #129
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

dude1394.. McCain has been scolding his supporters for emphasizing Hussein in anti-obama rally chants, why can't you follow suit? and some woman asking McCain a question implied that Obama was a quote "an arab"(in a derogatory sense) and McCain got mad and defended Obama.

the "messiah" and "barack hessein obama" threads are petty and classless if you ask me.

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 10-14-2008 at 12:23 AM.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:02 AM   #130
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

fluid.forty.one, you are obviously new to these parts. dude has a few redeeming qualities but one of them is not a propensity to argue in good faith, especially when it comes to politics. It's best to view these exchanges as a mode of entertainment.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:04 AM   #131
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

And silk is still calling people racist on a NBA forum....Yeah he hates black people, silk. That's why he pays thousands and thousands of dollars every single year for his Mavericks season tickets.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:28 AM   #132
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Guys, I'm not better than that. I see the opportunity to make a joke, I take it, morals be damned.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:41 AM   #133
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Buckley canned for backing Obama:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-a...ad-i-was-fired

watch your thoughts, they become your words

Last edited by rabbitproof; 10-15-2008 at 11:42 AM.
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:24 PM   #134
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
And silk is still calling people racist on a NBA forum....Yeah he hates black people, silk. That's why he pays thousands and thousands of dollars every single year for his Mavericks season tickets.
Read your statement again, and see if you see any problems with it.
Give you a hint: You say dude likes black people because he spends thousands of dollars yearly on Mavs season tickets..Take your time as well.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:38 PM   #135
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof
this could be the first time something was probably stolen by a whitey

OH WOAH RACISM NEVERMIND
Old 10-15-2008, 03:39 PM   #136
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Give you a hint: You say dude likes black people because he spends thousands of dollars yearly on Mavs season tickets..Take your time as well.
I still feel pretty good about it. I was simply asking you, as a matter of common sense, do you think he pays thousands of dollars every year to be hopping mad and hateful towards roughly 80% of the players that roll through that building every year?
Old 10-15-2008, 03:40 PM   #137
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
I think it's been argued on db.com (thought I could be wrong cause I hate spending too much time there) that dude a fan of dirk over the team, so I see what you're saying.

but that said I really don't think dude is a racist. I think he's saying this stuff to dig at you, for entertainment and plain ol' "Just for the heck of it". the whole topic, from both of you, is overdone and tired now though.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:11 PM   #138
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

man... these threads are actually getting LESS useful/interesting/informative every day. (From ALL sides)

Wtf is it going to look like on here October 30th?
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:16 PM   #139
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Well since I'm the only one who seems to care that he keeps calling people racists, I think it will look a lot like it does now. I'm not going to let him call me or my friends racist, and that includes all of you above here. I don't believe anyone here is being racist and I'm not going to shut up about it as long as he persists in this manner.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:22 PM   #140
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, I care. I've just had my fill of arguing with him.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:48 PM   #141
fluid.forty.one

I think we are taking the racist claims as serious as basketball501.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #142
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof
Narrator: And on that fateful day in early October, the Obama campaign stumbled upon a cunning method of generating more revenue from sign sales...

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:03 PM   #143
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

.... over the period of four months, Obama's capitalistic get what you can pay for campaign began to demonstrate unique strengths over the McCain everybody can have one of everything campaign...

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:05 PM   #144
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Well since I'm the only one who seems to care that he keeps calling people racists, I think it will look a lot like it does now. I'm not going to let him call me or my friends racist, and that includes all of you above here. I don't believe anyone here is being racist and I'm not going to shut up about it as long as he persists in this manner.
While you are at it, get you and friends to stop saying I race bait...Or is that asking too much
Old 10-15-2008, 10:06 PM   #145
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
I don't like or dislike black people any more or less than other people. As I said in my previous post the person who's most influenced my thinking was Thomas Sowell.

There are quite a few black people that I don't like however.
- I don't like Jessie Jackson or Al Sharpton. (I don't like race mongers).
- I don't like Barack Hussein Obama. (See I don't like people who try to have the US lose wars).
- I don't like black people who see racism behind every bush. Silk smoov comes to mind here. Well being kinda dense doesn't help.

But other than that, I'm cool.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:20 PM   #146
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
I don't like or dislike black people any more or less than other people. As I said in my previous post the person who's most influenced my thinking was Thomas Sowell.

There are quite a few black people that I don't like however.
- I don't like Jessie Jackson or Al Sharpton. (I don't like race mongers).
- I don't like Barack Hussein Obama. (See I don't like people who try to have the US lose wars).
- I don't like black people who see racism behind every bush. Silk smoov comes to mind here. Well being kinda dense doesn't help.

But other than that, I'm cool.
I will do you one better since you want to still talk about race, which means by your buddies you are race baiting.

Why cant you take race out of your posts? Even your third point could not get away from race. I will NOT name whites who I dont like. I dont dislike whites at all, and will NEVER generalize whites as a whole especially about not liking a certain way they are being treated, but clearly you dislike a whole group of blacks who fight racism when confronted with it. That is VERY WRONG. Then for you to name Thomas Sowell as your biggest influencer is another example of bad thinking. As of matter of fact, Jesse Jackson has done alot for ALL races in his lifetime, and has been a pioneer for African Americans in recent history. You attack Jesse Jackson, you attack MLK, which means you have just attacked the very core of modern Civil Rights Activists.

Last edited by Silk Smoov; 10-15-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:09 PM   #147
fluid.forty.one

love hearing mccain tell obama not to generalize his base

hear that dude?
Old 10-17-2008, 12:50 PM   #148
12 Tone Melodies

12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold

http://www.lufkindailynews.com/news/...t_service.html

Secret Service visits Lufkin woman after 'death threat' allegation from an Obama campaign volunteer

By JESSICA SAVAGE
The Lufkin Daily News

Monday, October 06, 2008

A Lufkin woman received a surprise visit from the Secret Service last week because of a "death threat" comment she reportedly made about Sen. Barack Obama to a campaign volunteer asking for her support of the presidential candidate.

Two federal agents arrived at Jessica Hughes' home Thursday to ask her if she said, "I will never support Obama and he will wind up dead on a hospital floor."

Hughes said her words were deliberately twisted by a volunteer who was apparently unhappy Hughes was rude during a phone conversation the two had. The Lufkin mother, a Republican, said she received a call on her cell phone Wednesday from a woman with the Obama Volunteers of Texarkana.

"She asked if I was an Obama supporter, to which I replied, 'No, I don't support him. Your guy is a socialist who voted four times in the state Senate to let little babies die in hospital closets; I think you should find something better to do with your time.' (And then) I hung up."

(Hughes is referring to a "born alive" Illinois bill that did not pass in the Illinois state Senate in 2005 and had previously been opposed by Obama because he said it undermined Roe v. Wade, according to FactCheck.org, a non-partisan organization. A federal version of the bill, which Obama said he would have supported, passed by unanimous consent and was signed into law by President George W. Bush in 2002.)

Obama Campaign Communications for Texas director Josh Taylor declined to comment Monday, refusing to answer any questions and referring the matter to the Secret Service, which he said is conducting an investigation. A message left with a Secret Service agent in Houston was not immediately returned.

Hughes said she was surprised to see two Secret Service agents at her door, and upset to learn that the conversation she had with the volunteer apparently had not been recorded.

"I find it hard to believe that (campaign volunteers) don't tape these calls. They call people unsolicited and they aren't monitoring the calls or recording them? I think that is absolutely ridiculous," she said.

"I mean, how often must this happen — that someone is rude to a volunteer that they don't want to talk to?"

Hughes said she wants to file a countercomplaint against the volunteer.

"She has made a charge that will follow me the rest of my life," she said.

"I find that repugnant and violating — that some person got her undies in a bundle because she didn't like what I had to say."

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.
- John Adams
12 Tone Melodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:14 PM   #149
dude1394
Guru

Great...the messiah hussein knocks on your door and you ask him a question. Then he sicks his brownshirts on you to try and tear you down. DON'T YOU DARE ASK THE MESSIAH HUSSEIN A TOUGH QUESTION!!!

Quote:
There are a few other problems with the attempts to smear Wurzelbacher. He did not claim he now makes more than $250,000; he said he plans to acquire a small company that would put him in that bracket. And it's curious that Politico states that Wurzelbacher "would receive a tax cut if Obama were elected president"--as if Obama's campaign promises have already achieved the status of established fact.

As for his unpaid taxes, blogger "Patterico" reports that Obama's campaign treasurer has liens for unpaid taxes. That isn't exactly an earth-shattering scandal either, but it is hard to see how it is less relevant than Wurzelbacher's liens.
I think possibly the best thing to do is slam the door in his face so he doesn't sick his media on ya'. Kudo's to Joe for putting up with it.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:20 PM   #150
dude1394
Guru

The brown-shirts live on and are supported by the democrat party.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmi...x.html?showall
Quote:
October 17, 2008
Categories: New York
An assault on Lex

Tough being a despised minority in New York.

A spokeswoman for the Manhattan District Attorney confirms the authenticity of a story circulating on conservative blogs: that during a (rare, and small) McCain rally on Lexington Avenue and 51st Street in Manhattan last month, a hostile local grabbed a woman's sign, broke it and hit her in the face.

One blog posted a redacted version of the complaint, which the spokeswoman, Jennifer Kushner, said is authentic. She gave the defendant's name as Bernard Feuerman, said he'd been charged with second-degree assault, and that he's got a Jan. 23 court date.
Quote:
First they came for the communists....
This is for underdog and smoov...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Niem%C3%B6ller
Quote:
Friedrich Gustav Emil Martin Niemöller (14 January 1892 – 6 March 1984) was a prominent German anti-Nazi theologian[1] and Lutheran pastor. He is best known as the author of the poem First they came....

Although he was a national conservative and initially a supporter of Adolf Hitler,[2] he became one of the founders of the Confessing Church, which opposed the nazification of German Protestant churches. He vehemently opposed the Nazis' Aryan Paragraph,[3] but made remarks about Jews that have been called antisemitic by some scholars.[4] For his opposition to the Nazis' state control of the churches, Niemöller was imprisoned in Sachsenhausen and Dachau concentration camps from 1937 to 1945.[5][6] He narrowly escaped execution and survived imprisonment.[7] After his imprisonment, he expressed his deep regret about not having done enough to help the victims of the Nazis.[3] He turned away from his earlier nationalistic beliefs and was one of the initiators of the Stuttgart Declaration of Guilt.[3] Since the 1950s, he was a vocal pacifist and anti-war activist, [7] and vice-chair of War Resisters' International from 1966 to 1972.[8] He met with Ho Chi Minh during the Vietnam War and was a committed campaigner for nuclear disarmament.[7]
Quote:
Youth and World War I participation

Martin Niemöller was born in Lippstadt on 14. January 1892 to the Lutheran pastor Heinrich Niemöller and his wife Paula née Müller and grew up in a very conservative home.[3] In 1900 the family moved to Elberfeld where he also finished school with abitur exam in 1910. Subsequently he sought a career as army officer at the Imperial Navy of the German Empire.

As of 1915 he belonged to the U-boat fleet in World War I: At first on the submarine "Thüringen", later in October of the same year as officer at the submarine mother ship "Vulkan", followed by training on the submarine U-3. In February 1916 he became second officer on U-73 which was assigned to the Mediterranean Sea in April 1916.[9] There the submarine fought on the Saloniki front, patrolled in the Strait of Otranto and from December 1916 onward planted mines in front of Port Said and was involved in commerce raiding. Flying a French flag as deception, the U-73 sailed past British warships, and torpedoed two Allied troopships and a British man-of-war.

In January 1917 Niemöller was coxswain at U-39, later he returned to Kiel and in August 1917 he became first officer at U-151, which attacked numerous ships at Gibraltar, in the Bay of Biscay, and other places. During this time the U-151 crew set a record by sinking 55,000 tons of Allied ships in 115 days at sea. In May 1918 he became commander of the UC-67. Under his command, UC-67 achieved a temporary closing of the French port of Marseilles by sinking ships in the area, by torpedoes, and by the laying of mines.[9]

For his achievements, Niemöller was awarded the Iron Cross First Class. When the war drew to a close, he decided that he would become a preacher, a story he later recounted in his book Vom U-Boot zur Kanzel (From U-boat to Pulpit). At war's end, Niemöller resigned his commission as he rejected the new democratic government of the German Empire after the resignation of the German Emperor William II.

[edit] Weimar Republic and education as pastor

On July 20, 1919 he married Else née Bremer (born July 20, 1890 - died August 7, 1961). The same year he began working at a farm in Wersen near Osnabrück but gave up becoming a farmer as he couldn't afford the money for his own farm and subsequently pursued his earlier idea of becoming a Lutheran pastor, and studied Protestant theology in Münster from 1919 to 1923. His motivation was his ambition to give a disordered society meaning and order through the Gospel and church bodies.

During the Ruhraufstand in 1920 he was battalion commander of the "III. Bataillon der Akademischen Wehr Münster" belonging to the paramilitary Freikorps.[7]

Niemöller was ordained on June 29, 1924,[9] and was appointed curate of Münster's Church of the Redeemer. After serving as the superintendent of the Lutheran Inner Mission in Westphalia, Niemöller in 1931 became pastor of the Jesus Christus Kirche (St. Anne's Church) in Dahlem, an affluent suburb of Berlin.[10]

[edit] Role in Nazi Germany

After Hitler's Machtergreifung, Niemöller decidedly opposed the Nazis' Aryan Paragraph. In 1936, he signed the petition of a group of Protestant churchmen which sharply criticized Nazi policies and declared the Aryan Paragraph incompatible with the Christian virtue of charity.[3] The Nazi regime reacted with mass arrests and charges against almost 800 pastors and ecclesiastical lawyers.[11] In 1933, Niemöller founded the Pfarrernotbund, an organization of pastors to "combat rising discrimination against Christians of Jewish background."[10] By the autumn of 1934, Niemöller joined other Lutheran and Protestant churchmen such as Karl Barth and Dietrich Bonhoeffer in founding the Confessing Church, a Protestant group that opposed the Nazification of the German Protestant churches.[10] The famous author and Nobel Prize laureate Thomas Mann published Niemöller's sermons in the United States and praised his bravery.[3]

However, Niemöller only gradually abandoned his national conservative views and even made pejorative remarks about Jews while protecting converted Jews in his own church. In one sermon in 1935, he remarked: "What is the reason for [their] obvious punishment, which has lasted for thousands of years? Dear brethren, the reason is easily given: the Jews brought the Christ of God to the cross!"[12]

This has led to controversy about his attitude toward the Jews and to accusations of antisemitism. Holocaust scholar Robert Michael notes that Niemöller's statements were a result of traditional antisemitism and that Niemöller agreed with the Nazis' position on the "Jewish question" at that time.[4][13] Werner Cohn, an American sociologist, who lived as a Jew in Nazi Germany, also reports on antisemitic statements by Niemöller.[14]

Thus, Niemöller's ambivalent and often contradictory behaviour during the Nazi period makes him one of the most controversial enemies of the Nazis. Even his motives are disputed. The historian Raimund Lammersdorf considers Niemöller "an opportunist who had no quarrel with Hitler politically and only begun to oppose the Nazis when Hitler threatened to attack the churches."[15] Others have disputed this view and emphasize the risks that Niemöller took upon while opposing the Nazis.[3] However, Niemöller's behaviour contrasts sharply with the much more broad-minded attitudes of other Confessing Church activists such as Hermann Maas. The pastor and liberal politician Maas — unlike Niemöller — belonged to those who unequivocally opposed every form of antisemitism and was later accorded the title Righteous Among the Nations by Yad Vashem.[16]

[edit] Arrest and imprisonment

Arrested on 1 July 1937, Niemöller was brought to a "Special Court" on 2 March 1938 to be tried for activities against the State. He was fined 2,000 Reichmarks and received a prison term of seven months. As his detention period exceeded the jail term, he was released by the Court after the trial. However, immediately after leaving the Court, he was rearrested by Himmler's Gestapo.[17] He was interned in Sachsenhausen and Dachau concentration camps from 1938 to 1945.

After his former cell mate, Leo Stein was released from Sachsenhausen to go to America, he wrote an article about Niemöller for The National Jewish Monthly.[2] Stein reports that having asked Niemöller why he ever supported the Nazi Party, Niemöller replied:

"I find myself wondering about that too. I wonder about it is much as I regret it. Still, it is true that Hitler betrayed me. I had an audience with him, as a representative of the Protestant Church, shortly before he became Chancellor, in 1932. Hitler promised me on his word of honor, to protect the Church, and not to issue any anti-Church laws. He also agreed not to allow pogroms against the Jews, assuring me as follows: 'There will be restrictions against the Jews, but there will be no ghettos, no pogroms, in Germany.'"

"I really believed," Niemoeller continued, "given the widespread anti-Semitism in Germany, at that time—that Jews should avoid aspiring to Government positions or seats in the Reichstag. There were many Jews, especially among the Zionists, who took a similar stand. Hitler's assurance satisfied me at the time. On the other hand, I hated the growing atheistic movement, which was fostered and promoted by the Social Democrats and the Communists. Their hostility toward the Church made me pin my hopes on Hitler for a while.

"I am paying for that mistake now; and not me alone, but thousands of other persons like me."

[edit] Release and post-War activities

He was released by the Allies in 1945. According to Lammersdorf, there had been some attempts to whitewash his past which were, however, soon followed by harsh criticism because of his role as a NSDAP supporter and his attitude toward the Jews.[15] Niemöller himself never denied his own guilt in the time of the Nazi regime. In 1959, he was asked about his former attitude toward the Jews by Alfred Wiener, a Jewish researcher into racism and war crimes committed by the Nazi regime. In a letter to Wiener, Niemöller stated that his imprisonment by the Nazis which had lasted for eight years had become the turning point in his life after which he had begun to see things differently.[7]

Niemöller was president of the Protestant Church in Hesse and Nassau from 1947 to 1961. He was one of the initiators of the Stuttgart Declaration of Guilt, signed by leading figures in the German church. The document acknowledged that the church had not done enough to resist the Nazis.[18]

Under the impact of a meeting with Otto Hahn (who has been called the "father of nuclear chemistry") in July 1954, Niemöller became an ardent pacifist and campaigner for nuclear disarmament. He was soon a leading figure in the post-war German peace movement and was even brought to court in 1959 because he had spoken about the military in a very unflattering way.[19] His visit to North Vietnam's communist ruler Ho Chi Minh at the height of the Vietnam War caused an uproar.[7] Niemöller also took active part in protests against the Vietnam War and the NATO Double-Track Decision.[20]

In 1961, he became president of the World Council of Churches.[10]

He died at Wiesbaden in 1984.

[edit] See also
Wikimedia Commons has media related to:
Martin Niemöller

* Franz Hildebrandt

[edit] Notes

1. ^ "Niemöller, (Friedrich Gustav Emil) Martin" The New Encyclopaedia Britannica (Chicago: University of Chicago, 1993), 8:698.
2. ^ a b Stein, Leo (May 1941). "NIEMOELLER speaks! An Exclusive Report By One Who Lived 22 Months In Prison With The Famous German Pastor Who Defied Adolf Hitler" 284-5, 301-2. The National Jewish Monthly.
3. ^ a b c d e f g Martin Stöhr, „…habe ich geschwiegen“. Zur Frage eines Antisemitismus bei Martin Niemöller, http://www.lomdim.de/md2006/05/04.html
4. ^ a b Robert Michael, Theological Myth, German Antisemitism, and the Holocaust: The Case of Martin Niemoeller, Holocaust Genocide Studies.1987; 2: 105-122.
5. ^ Dynamite - TIME
6. ^ F.L. Cross and E.A. Livingstone, The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church, (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1983), 975 sub loco and [1].
7. ^ a b c d e f Spartacus Educational website by John Simkin
8. ^ Devi Prasad, War is a Crime against Humanity: the Story of War Resisters' International, London: War Resisters' International, 2005
9. ^ a b c Current Biography 1943, pg.555
10. ^ a b c d "Niemöller," 8:698.
11. ^ Deutsches Historisches Museum, http://www.dhm.de/lemo/html/nazi/inn...nde/index.html
12. ^ The text of this sermon, in English, is found in Martin Niemöller, First Commandment, London, 1937, pp. 243-250.
13. ^ Robert Michael, "Christian Theological Antisemitism", H-Antisemitism, May 6, 1997.
14. ^ Correspondence about Niemöller's Antisemitism
15. ^ a b Raimund Lammersdorf, "The Question of Guilt", 1945-47: German and American Answers, Conference at the German Historical Institute, Washington, D.C., 25-27 March 1999.
16. ^ Yad Vashem: "Hermann Maas"
17. ^ The rise and fall of the Third Reich - A history of Nazi Germany by William L. Shirer
18. ^ The Stuttgart Declaration of Guilt Harold Marcuse (Professor of History at UC Santa Barbara), introduction to and translation of the Stuttgart Declaration of Guilt, accessed July 30, 2006.
19. ^ WDR online:"Soldaten sind Mörder!"
20. ^ Chronological timeline of Niemöller's life

[edit] External links
Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to:
Martin Niemöller

* Who Was Martin Niemoller?
* Martin Niemöller's famous quotation: "First they came for the Communists" What did Niemoeller really say? Which groups did he name? In what order? Harold Marcuse, UC Santa Barbara (2005)
* Niemöller's famous quotation as posted by Holocaust Survivors' Network
* A biography of Niemöller
* The text (and an English translation) of the Stuttgart Declaration of Guilt
* Pastor Martin Niemöller, Sonal Panse

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Niem%C3%B6ller"
Categories: Christianity Portal pages | 1892 births | 1984 deaths | Anti-Vietnam War activists | German anti-war activists | German Christian pacifists | German poets | German theologians | Lutheran theologians | People from the Province of Westphalia | Nazi concentration camp survivors | U-boat commanders | German Lutheran clergy | German Resistance
Old 10-17-2008, 06:20 PM   #151
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Great...the messiah hussein knocks on your door and you ask him a question. Then he sicks his brownshirts on you to try and tear you down. DON'T YOU DARE ASK THE MESSIAH HUSSEIN A TOUGH QUESTION!!!

I think possibly the best thing to do is slam the door in his face so he doesn't sick his media on ya'. Kudo's to Joe for putting up with it.
what's with this fake accusation about obama? are the old ones too stale to bring out again?
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:21 PM   #152
dude1394
Guru

You and me babe.
http://www.myfoxorlando.com/myfox/pa...=3.14.1&sflg=1

Quote:
VOLUSIA COUNTY, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35, Orlando) -- She's only 12 years old but Ashleigh Jones is feeling the heat of this election year.

That’s because the seventh grader at New Smyrna Beach Middle School was called a racist by classmates for wearing a pro-Sarah Palin t-shirt.

Jones is volunteering at the Republican Headquarters in New Smyrna Beach. The Palin t-shirt was a gift from her fellow volunteers.
VIDEO: --Student called out for political t-shirt But when she wore it to school she learned just how tough politics can be.

“Some of the students were calling me racist because I was Caucasian,” she said. “I wanted the Caucasian man to win. And I told them that’s not true. It’s my freedom of speech, it’s my opinion.”
Old 10-18-2008, 12:31 AM   #153
12 Tone Melodies

12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold

??How long until Kristallnacht??

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.
- John Adams
12 Tone Melodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:05 AM   #154
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 Tone Melodies View Post
??How long until Kristallnacht??
it's damn insulting to compare the american electorate to the nazis.

it minimizes the horrors of what the nazis did as well.

no one should trivialize the masssacre of a people.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:37 AM   #155
dude1394
Guru

Nice to think that Obama is going to be the president for all folks. Except well plumbers and small businessmen.

Quote:
SEN. BARACK OBAMA (D-IL), PRESIDENTIAL NOMINEE: He's trying to suggest that a plumber is the guy he's fighting for. How many plumbers do you know making a quarter million dollars a year?

SEN. JOE BIDEN (D-DE), VICE-PRESIDENTIAL NOMINEE: John continues to cling to the notion, the fact that this guy, Joe the plumber. I don't know how many Joe the plumbers in my neighborhood that make $250,000 a year and are worried.
Nice...this guy will make us all proud.

Last edited by dude1394; 10-18-2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #156
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Quote:
Nice to think that Obama is going to be the president for all folks. Except well plumbers and small businessmen.

Quote:
SEN. BARACK OBAMA (D-IL), PRESIDENTIAL NOMINEE: He's trying to suggest that a plumber is the guy he's fighting for. How many plumbers do you know making a quarter million dollars a year?

SEN. JOE BIDEN (D-DE), VICE-PRESIDENTIAL NOMINEE: John continues to cling to the notion, the fact that this guy, Joe the plumber. I don't know how many Joe the plumbers in my neighborhood that make $250,000 a year and are worried.

Nice...this guy will make us all proud.
could you try to make sense of this rambling?

second, are these two wrong that the average plumber, or most tradesmen for that matter, are earning over $250,000 a year?

see, that is their point, and unlike your post, they are making sense.

Last edited by Mavdog; 10-18-2008 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:34 AM   #157
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdog View Post
could you try to make sense of this rambling?

second, are these two wrong that the average plumber, or most tradesmen for that matter, are earning over $250,000 a year?

see, that is their point, and unlike your post, they are making sense.
No that is not their point, their point is to deride this guy and his question as irrelevant and to do a job on his character. That's why they pick at this point instead of addressing his question.

That's why it goes in the thugocracy thread. I'm not sure I've ever seen a presidential candidate attack a voter like this for asking a legitimate question. Probably because he really wants the question to go away.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #158
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
No that is not their point, their point is to deride this guy and his question as irrelevant and to do a job on his character. That's why they pick at this point instead of addressing his question.

That's why it goes in the thugocracy thread. I'm not sure I've ever seen a presidential candidate attack a voter like this for asking a legitimate question. Probably because he really wants the question to go away.
your interpertation is a huge leap, and what you are doing is putting words into their mouths that were not said.

they are NOT saying ANYTHING about joe's "character", and they are answering the question, as there is open and clear acknowledgement that IF he earned more than $250,000 he would pay more income tax.

there is no "attack", and the attempts to portray the response as an "attack" says a lot about the mentality of the accuser more than it says about the candidates.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:51 AM   #159
dude1394
Guru

The ObamaYorkTimes continues to dig deep into the Obama campaign.

Quote:
The lead reporter on the story, Jodi Kantor, went trolling for trash among schoolmates of the McCains' 16-year-old daughter, Bridget. Here is the email Kantor sent via Facebook to another kid at Bridget's school:

I saw on facebook that you went to Xavier, and if you don't mind, I'd love to ask you some advice about a story. I'm a reporter at the New York Times, writing a profile of Cindy McCain, and we are trying to get a sense of what she is like as a mother. So I'm reaching out to fellow parents at her kids' schools. My understanding is that some of her older kids went to Brophy/Xavier, but I'm trying to figure out what school her 16 year old daughter Bridget attends-- and a few people said it was PCDS. Do you know if that's right? Again, we're not really reporting on the kids, just seeking some fellow parents who can talk about what Mrs. McCain is like.

Also, if you know anyone else who I should talk to-- basically anyone who has encountered Mrs. McCain and might be able to share impressions-- that would be great.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

Jodi Kantor
Political correspondent
New York Times
kantor@nytimes.com
I'll not hold my breath waiting for the hit piece on how Michelle Obama is as a mother. We already know Sarahs qualifications.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:58 AM   #160
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Quote:
The ObamaYorkTimes continues to dig deep into the Obama campaign.

I'll not hold my breath waiting for the hit piece on how Michelle Obama is as a mother. We already know Sarahs qualifications.
omg! a reporter asking for information to write a story!

what is american journalism coming to? one would think that the reporter could write a story without any research or gathering of information, right?

Tags
fluffalicious, got a bit fluffy in here, lefty bigotry, mind readers now, my god- people are idiots, silk's healthcare lies, the sacrificial lamb