Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 05-05-2018, 02:21 PM   #1
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

People always point out Doncics defense but with Bagley its no problem...interesting.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 02:26 PM   #2
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
People always point out Doncics defense but with Bagley its no problem...interesting.
I'm with you. I think it's because the athletic profile of Bagley is he should be a good defender with coaching and development, because he has the tools. But that's still nothing more than hope. I still say Doncic has the bbiq necessary to at the very least be adequate against 2's and only have a tough time against elite 2's which shouldn't be a negative imo. He'd still be in my top 2 if not for the fact that I think Bamba changes the entire team for the better. So while true bpa for me is doncic it's close enough that I can't stop myself from taking someone who would change life for 4 other players on the floor for the better and make life extremely difficult for 5 players on the other side.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 05-05-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 02:54 PM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I like both of them less than most precisely for their lack of defense... That's why I'm more intrigued by defensive stalwarts like Jackson, Bamba and Bridges -- because I think scoring will come easier to them than defense will come to Bagley or Doncic.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 03:04 PM   #4
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
One has elite athleticism and the other does not.

No matter what you think of either, Bagley without a doubt fits better with Smith jr than Doncic does.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 03:15 PM   #5
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post

No matter what you think of either, Bagley without a doubt fits better with Smith jr than Doncic does.
I can definitely agree with this... Bagley has tools to work with on defense, Doncic does not.

Hell, undersized Yogi is probably already a stronger defender than point-forward Luka will ever be.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-05-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 05:06 PM   #6
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Neither is going to be picked for their defense. It's just splitting hairs to me comparing their defense. One has bbiq/instincts that help overcome elite athleticism and the other has athletic tools that help overcome a lack of instincts and understanding on defense. It's just a matter of preference.

Normally I'm on the side of athletic upside but to me Doncic is just special. And Bagley for all his tools isn't just a little development and good coaching away from being a great defender, he really had no business being as bad as he was defensively.

I'd love if there was a compiled list of the 7ft bigs Bagley went against and how he fared and how they fared. I thought it was here but I can't find it but someone posted an article here or maybe reddit that showed just how bad Bagley was on defense. It was around the time he missed some games and Duke was like 15 points better on defense but 10 worse on offense. It was a small sample size iirc which is why I'd really be interested in a compiled list of the 7'0 guys he faced and what the results were. Maybe I'll get bored during these shitty playoff games and make one if I can't find one already made.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:10 PM   #7
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Neither is going to be picked for their defense. It's just splitting hairs to me comparing their defense. One has bbiq/instincts that help overcome elite athleticism and the other has athletic tools that help overcome a lack of instincts and understanding on defense. It's just a matter of preference.

Normally I'm on the side of athletic upside but to me Doncic is just special. And Bagley for all his tools isn't just a little development and good coaching away from being a great defender, he really had no business being as bad as he was defensively.

I'd love if there was a compiled list of the 7ft bigs Bagley went against and how he fared and how they fared. I thought it was here but I can't find it but someone posted an article here or maybe reddit that showed just how bad Bagley was on defense. It was around the time he missed some games and Duke was like 15 points better on defense but 10 worse on offense. It was a small sample size iirc which is why I'd really be interested in a compiled list of the 7'0 guys he faced and what the results were. Maybe I'll get bored during these shitty playoff games and make one if I can't find one already made.
That list would be interesting... but he took it to Bamba and Texas wit a huge game. Fwiw

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 06:02 PM   #8
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post

One of them has an elite brain and feel/understanding for the game...on generational level considering his age.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:43 PM   #9
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

I see the appeal of Bamba. I would feel great about getting him if we draft 5/6. I just think he is a project with huge upside - like a Jonathan Isaac/Ntilikina from last year.

Again this is IMHO, but I believe Doncic has the "it" factor you have to look for that impacts your team at every level.

Also, I think people are going too far in their doubts with Ayton. Don't get me wrong, I have problems with the lethargic defense too. But the guy is special with immense upside. I keep seeing comments like "no lebron" in this draft, and I just have a hard time with that framing of the conversation. I believe he is the best big man to come into the league since Anthony Davis, and maybe 2nd best in last 20 years.
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:05 PM   #10
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
One of them has an elite brain and feel/understanding for the game...on generational level considering his age.
Racking my brain I just can't think of a single NBA SG/SF who was/is a perennial all-star player despite lack of athleticism.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:15 PM   #11
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Racking my brain I just can't think of a single NBA SG/SF who was/is a perennial all-star player despite lack of athleticism.
Jason Kidd? Larry Bird? Not 2/3s necessarily but they certainly give you an idea of what we are envisioning when we speak of Doncic. Keep in mind that you are putting him into the 2/3 spot when in today's game it is much less defined.

Last edited by hayth.james.g; 05-05-2018 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:09 PM   #12
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

I'll add Doncic's highlights from April:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTK8sgZAj4w
Old 05-05-2018, 10:34 PM   #13
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayth.james.g View Post

I like how he uses his body. I think if he gets better at changing speeds like Ginobili was then he's going to be just fine despite the lack of athleticism. Still my favorite player. I can't wait to see him in the NBA.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:32 AM   #14
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayth.james.g View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9flJ_nUAhw

3:20ish smh

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote