Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-26-2001, 05:40 PM   #1
Mavs_Whiner

Mavs_Whiner is on a distinguished road

7 Years........... 41 MILLION DOLLARS ??????

What were you thinking?

Seriously somebody tell me?

The Jazz got Donyell Marshall out of that deal and it only cost them Adam Keefe...... Brilliant Cuban however had to tack on a bonus 3 MIL (Making the cost 44 MILLION DOLLARS for a point guard you can't even use against the team he knows best????)

Mavs_Whiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2001, 05:44 PM   #2
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Cuban doesn't give a shit about the money. Plain and simple. You think this really affects the Mavs' cap or Cuban's bank account? Nope.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 02:01 AM   #3
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

Whatever, just put it in perspective....

If he has 1 billion in the bank and that would be fairly accuraate, he could be getting 100 million in interest per year. 44 over 7 years is just a small percentage of his yearly interst!
Old 04-27-2001, 08:29 AM   #4
LAM0015
Banned

LAM0015 is on a distinguished road

i don't care if cuban cares about the money. what i care about is filling the roster with overpaid guys that we can't get rid of if we want to because no one will want to take on their contract
LAM0015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 09:02 AM   #5
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I agree LAMOO.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 09:33 AM   #6
LAM0015
Banned

damn, rob agrees with me, that invalidates my point right there
Old 04-27-2001, 09:34 AM   #7
LAM0015
Banned

is that a word?
Old 04-27-2001, 09:54 AM   #8
dallaslaker

dallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura about

Damn, LAM is making sense! You must be turning a new leaf, or turning the other cheek?

Seriously tho, Eisley *might* have been worth the money if he was a very good backup who could step into the starter position if someone got hurt. As it stands, there is no way that we could get rid of him if we wanted to. I'm glad Cuban has opened the bank accounts and that players see that in the league. But, it could really hurt us down the road when we realize that guys just do not have the potential we saw when we game them a very lucrative contract.

I really do like Eisley though. I just keep hoping that he gets out of this serious slump.
dallaslaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 10:05 AM   #9
LAM0015
Banned

it is awesome that cuban is willing to spend money...
but, is the juwan howard and howard eisley moves good for down the road?
how will they affect top free agents from coming to dallas
how will they affect the mavs ability to make trades?
how many players are we going to sign to large contracts and then end up getting stuck with their salaries?

personally, i'm hopeful that the jhoward deal is a good one..hopeful, semi-confident...
but the eisley deal isn't looking good. is he a good fit for the mavs offense?

is jhoward a good fit for the mavs defensive needs...?..for the mavs offensive needs?
Old 04-27-2001, 11:03 AM   #10
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

"damn, rob agrees with me"

You'd be suprised how often that's the case [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] .

Old 04-27-2001, 11:25 AM   #11
BusyD

BusyD is on a distinguished road

why the hell was Eisely good back in Utah??? They wanted to keep him so badly, but now he comes to the mavs and sucks??? Maybe they paid him off so they could win the series, i mean pretty much all of US r better ball players than HIM [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] hahahahahha
BusyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 11:28 AM   #12
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Eisley was never that good. He played well against the mavs, but who didn't at that time. Look at his career #s and tell me, when was he ever good?
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 11:59 AM   #13
LAM0015
Banned

I'm not saying that eisley isn't a decent player... i just don't think his style of play is conducive to the mavs style of play.
Old 04-27-2001, 01:13 PM   #14
ReggieThetaChi

ReggieThetaChi is on a distinguished road

Whats going on? I'm supposed to be the only hippie in here, man! Oh well, as long as you post at least derrogatory (I think that's right) message towards Mavs_Whiner, I'll let it go.
Old 04-27-2001, 02:21 PM   #15
Mavs_Whiner

Mavs_Whiner is on a distinguished road

My point was that Eisley knows the Jazz mindset better than ayone else on our team and I hope that for 41 @%^#! MILLION we can at least exploit that to some extent. That is, unless Eisley freezes up in strategy sessions as well. We could of had DONYELL MARSHALL at that price and look what he's done for the Jazz this season (quite a few double doubles.... and the man can work the offensive glass like Juwan can only dream of).

MAVS in 2001!
Mavs_Whiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 02:35 PM   #16
LAM0015
Banned

well...screw offensive glass...i would love for juwan to discover anything on the defensive side
Old 04-27-2001, 06:40 PM   #17
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

From what I saw in game 2 that is a good point. Howard was willing to let Malone back him down and then beat him one on one at the bucket.
Old 04-28-2001, 05:33 PM   #18
LAM0015
Banned

glory glory..
juwan rebounded the ball..but the guy still has no clue on defense.. but he did have a pretty good offensive game
Old 04-28-2001, 07:51 PM   #19
ReggieThetaChi

ReggieThetaChi is on a distinguished road

I'll trade presentable defense for solid productivity offensively and semi-decent rebounding any day. That's just me, though.
Old 04-29-2001, 09:01 AM   #20
LAM0015
Banned

is juwan going to be worth a sh*t next year against the zone?
well, i guess he'll suck less defensively

it's not often, reg, that we get mediocre defense from him
Old 04-30-2001, 07:03 PM   #21
thirdbse

thirdbse is on a distinguished road

Sure Eisley is worth 41 million. I think all of our third stringers should at least make that much, If you make second string, you will make what Bradleys next contract will pay.

I would be disappointed if Howard wont be the first 100 million second stringer, Then what ever Dirk and Finley end up getting will be first string pay.

I would love to be in the water boys position about now
thirdbse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 09:00 PM   #22
LAM0015
Banned

next year, if bradley is as good as he could be with the new rule changes...juwan howard could very easily be the worst starter for the mavs...
Old 04-30-2001, 09:58 PM   #23
thirdbse

I am really glad we have Juwan howard, but sheesh, double dribbling,
losing the ball, charges called on him all the time, those are high school mistakes he makes every game,
You would think before someone could make that much money they would be more refined in the game.
Some one has to pick up there game every game to make up for his and Eisleys turnovers, If he wants to be a "go to guy" one of the " big four" he needs to play like it.
Old 04-30-2001, 10:02 PM   #24
thirdbse

I am just getting fired up for the game, lmao
I wonder if everyone here yells at the tv like i do

I really scream at a horse race
Old 04-30-2001, 10:48 PM   #25
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] .

I don't YELL at the TV but I do tend to talk to it alot [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] .

Old 05-01-2001, 08:25 AM   #26
LAM0015
Banned

hell yeah i yell at the tv.

yeah, juwan needs to learn to pass out of the double team and dish the ball when he drives before he charges...
actually, finley needs to learn to pass off of the drive also.
Old 05-01-2001, 08:35 AM   #27
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

whiner makes a great point. Eisley played with the Jazz for what? 5 years or more? and he gets out there and fumbles around, starts jacking up threes, and plays like a scared 8th grader. ridiculous. he should know how to guard stockton. he should know how to defend their pick-and-roll. i guess the simple answer is, this guy sucks and is not worth the paper the 40 mil is printed on.
Old 05-01-2001, 08:57 AM   #28
LAM0015
Banned

well, actually, he played decent in game 3
and, who has success guarding stockton?
Old 05-01-2001, 10:17 AM   #29
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

He did play well in game 3. Hopefully he can do that again, was a good standin when Nash went down hit three shots, I was quite impressed.
Old 05-01-2001, 02:40 PM   #30
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

he played well in the second half of game 3. it pissed me off when he came into that game and immediately jacked up two straight threes.

and i'm not saying he should be able to shut down stockton. but don't you think that if you played against someone in practice for 5 years, you may learn about their tendencies? unless you're an idiot and can't pick up on anything. he should be able to guard stockton better than others in the league.

It appears to me as if he just wants things handed to him. he signed the big deal and expected to be our savior at point guard. meanwhile, nash worked his tail off in the offseason and the olympics, and deserved to be the starter. Half the time, eisley doesn't know what to do out there. He played ok in the beginning, when there was less pressure. Toward the end of the season (and now in the playoffs), whenever anyone sneezes, he gets scared and turns the ball over. How about that play he had in game 3 when the ball was kicked to him at the top of the three-point line, and he took his eye of it and let it go backcourt? priceless.
Old 05-01-2001, 03:47 PM   #31
TheKid
Diamond Member

Personally I think the signing of Eisley was a ploy on Cuban's part. In my opinion Nash played his ass of this year because he was thinking they brought Eisley in here to be his back up and if he didn't play well become the eventual starter. That's why I think Nash played so poorly during the end of the season because he was no longer concerned that Eisley could replace him.

I agree that he should know Stockton, but I've figured it out. Expectations for Eisley were very high. Mostly because of the money he signed for. However we saw how he played when he came off the bench and we expected him to play the same for us. Realize this though, the Mavericks system is WAY different from Utah's. Dallas likes to run and they rarely run the half court sets Utah is use to. I would be willing to bet in the half court offense Eisley could be more effective. Think about when he's been effective for us this year, it's been when he's spotting up or getting the ball kicked back to him off of a pick and role. However whenever he has to get out and run, TURNOVER OR POOR decision. He didn't have to do that too much in Utah. When he did, he just threw the ball to the Mailman, that will bail mostly any guard out. Look at Jacque Vaughn who I KNOW wouldn't last on any team other than Utah team!
Old 05-01-2001, 04:46 PM   #32
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

oh, i agree. He is great for Utah's system. but not at all for ours.
Old 05-01-2001, 05:29 PM   #33
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Are you people saying Eisley shouldn't take wide open three pointers? Maybe the reason he's lost so much confidence is that he gets criticized for everything he does these days... Eisley is very definitely a halfcourt point guard. When Nash was out, Eisley was productive, averaging something like 14 pts and 8 assists in six games without Nash, but we still suffered because we didn't run. Eisley is an effective point guard and a great shooter, he just doesn't fit in here as a point guard... I still like him playing the two, but he rarely plays that any more, and that's why he's faded at the end of the season.

TheKid- Have you considered that maybe Nash has never been very effective before this year is that he has played through injury for the majority of his career, and that that is what he is doing now? Nash wants to win, badly, and he puts his heart on the floor every time he's out there... Nash hasn't played well this year because of a concern about a starting job, it's because he was finally healthy and being on a winning team meant everything to him... If he stays healthy next year, he might be a pretty incredible point guard.
Old 05-01-2001, 06:14 PM   #34
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Guard delivers intense play; love of the game
Old 05-02-2001, 02:55 AM   #35
Magic13

Magic13 is on a distinguished road

That's an excellent article about Nash. It speaks volumes about his ability as well as his dedication to his game, team, and the Dallss fans.

Excellent game 4 Nash!!!
Magic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 09:07 AM   #36
TheKid
Diamond Member

Mavinator, Nash was healthy in Phoenix. If you didn't know this he was suppose to be the next starting point guard after KJ retired, then the trade that brought Kidd there pretty much assured that he wasn't going to be the starter. Even KJ said that his confidence was lost then, that was his problem. That's what I'm saying about this year, he had his confidence. You're trying to say he hasn't been plagued with injuries this year???? Yes he has, but despite the injuries his confidence has been soaring, therefore he's been playing above those injuries. He would have felt like he was letting his team down where as in the past he's been thinking more along the lines of getting healthy before he could be affective.

For starters what I was trying to say was, I think Cuban and Nelson wanted that pressure on Nash. They wanted him to have that competition because he would play better and what happened, he's played MUCH better this year than last year. All I know is this, as the playoffs has gone, he's improved. Once again, point guard play was important lastnight. In the beginning of the game we got behind because of some bad plays by our point position, but boy he SURE AS HELL made up for it and then some!!!
Old 05-02-2001, 09:18 AM   #37
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i would love to see dirk and nash in mavs uniforms together for the next 10 years
that would be awesome
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 10:51 AM   #38
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

i have no problem with him taking threes. but he's not the Microwave! don't jack up threes as soon as you come into the game!

but in his defense, he played well last night. he actually looked like he may be worth half of what we're paying him.
Old 05-02-2001, 10:55 AM   #39
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

the microwave...never will be another like him. One of the greatest 6'2" shooting guards of all time. He would also break your face if you looked at him wrong. I loved Vinnie Johnson.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote