Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 04-17-2004, 11:18 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default AP Source: James to win rookie of the year award

AP Source: James to win rookie of the year award

By CHRIS SHERIDAN, AP Basketball Writer
April 17, 2004

LeBron James, the super-hyped phenom who went from high school to the pros and kept the Cleveland Cavaliers in playoff contention until late in the season, has beaten out Carmelo Anthony in voting for the NBA's Rookie of the Year award.

A source with knowledge of the vote tally, speaking on condition of anonymity, said James will be presented with the award Tuesday.

James averaged 20.9 points, 5.9 assists and 5.5 rebounds, drawing 16 sellout crowds to the Cavs' home arena and several more on the road. James' popularity made his jersey the best seller at the NBA's store in New York and through the league's Web site, and he helped the Cavs improve from 17 wins to 35.

Anthony led the Denver Nuggets into the playoffs, averaging 21.0 points, 6.1 rebounds and 2.8 assists. But James, 19, was only the third rookie in NBA history to average at least 20 points, five rebounds, and five assists, joining Oscar Robertson and Michael Jordan.

His season-high was 41 points on March 27 against New Jersey made him the youngest player in league history to reach 40 points. James scored at least 30 points 13 times.

James was the Eastern Conference's rookie of the month in every month this season. He will become the first player in Cavs history to win the award.

``I won't comment on it until I know it's official,'' said James' agent, Aaron Goodwin.

Anthony, in Minneapolis for Game 1 of his team's playoff series against the Timberwolves, released a statement through a team spokesman: ``If it's true, I'm really happy for LeBron, but I'm not real worried about the Rookie of the Year award right now. My focus is on Minnesota.''

Cleveland finished in ninth place in the Eastern Conference -- one game behind No. 8 Boston.

``We would have been dangerous in the playoffs,'' said coach Paul Silas, who proved to be the perfect coach for James and the young Cavs. ``I think a lot of teams would have been afraid to play us.''

Entering the season, Silas figured James would average ``around 12 points,'' but he didn't know what else to expect from his talented rookie other than a media circus.

Now Silas has a better handle on James -- and how good he can be.

``One of the greats,'' Silas said after the season ended. ``There's no telling how good he'll be. He's 19. Three years from now, he'll be 22 and the same age as a senior in college.

``All he has to do is work on his shot. He has everything else.''
Old 04-18-2004, 07:28 AM   #2
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future
Default RE:AP Source: James to win rookie of the year award

I saw James play in Dallas a few weeks back...AMAZING TV doesn't do his game justice. After I saw the game I was convinced he alone should be rookie of the year.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 12:33 PM   #3
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: AP Source: James to win rookie of the year award

As much as the media would like to have seen Mello put up a fight, this race was over a loooong time ago.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 03:29 AM   #4
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
James' popularity made his jersey the best seller at the NBA's store in New York and through the league's Web site, and he helped the Cavs improve from 17 wins to 35.
As if that would justify a selection as ROTY, this improvement didn't come with James alone, IMO Boozer was just as important for them this year.
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 10:13 AM   #5
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

James is NBA Rookie of the Year; Anthony second

By TOM WITHERS, AP Sports Writer
April 20, 2004

CLEVELAND (AP) -- LeBron James won the NBA Rookie of the Year award Tuesday, capping a remarkable season in which he revived the Cleveland Cavaliers.

The 19-year-old guard more than lived up to unprecedented hype, becoming the youngest player to receive the award.

James, last year's No. 1 overall draft pick, beat out Denver's Carmelo Anthony, his close friend, who was chosen right behind him in last year's draft and finished second to him again.

James received 508 points, including 78 of a possible 118 first-place votes, to become the first Cleveland rookie honored.

Anthony finished with 430 points -- with the other 40 first-place votes -- in balloting by sports writers and broadcasters. Dwyane Wade of the Miami Heat was third with 117 points.

The players received 5 points for a first-place vote, 3 for second and 1 for third. Chicago's Kirk Hinrich, Toronto's Chris Bosh and Dallas' Marquis Daniels also got votes.

James was to receive his trophy Tuesday night at the NBA Store in New York.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:05 AM   #6
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: AP Source: James to win rookie of the year award

Man all I know is I will love watching James grow up over the years... This kid will be one of the best ever...

On a side note, good job to Daniels for a great end to the season... Isnt it amazing though that Howard can play consistently and very well for over half of the season only to have just about everyone, after a few 30 point games, come to the conclusion that Daniels is the best rookie on this team??? Man I just hope both will be in Dallas next year such that I can watch each of them grow up over the years also...