Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-26-2001, 09:36 PM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Love to get this guy on the Mavs! plffft!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Danny Manning said Monday that he would love to return to Utah for a second season, but that his contract wasn't good enough and he planned to opt out of the final year of his contract with the Jazz and become a free agent, the Kansas City Star reported.

Manning said he hoped to find a team that would pay him more than the $1.32 million he was supposed to earn in 2001-02. Manning made $1.2 million in 2000-01, his first season with the Jazz.

"The average player's salary is $4.5 (million), and I'm making a little over $1 (million)," said Manning, who averaged 7.4 points in just 15.9 minutes during the regular season. "Basically, I'm playing at the minimum I can play for right now. Wherever I go, I'm not going to get less than that."

Manning arrived in Utah fresh off a disappointing season with Milwaukee in 1999-2000 (he averaged 4.6 points). Manning, who wasn't happy with the Bucks, said he opted out of his two-year contract with the Bucks knowing he would have to play elsewhere for minimal money. Still, finding "the right fit" was more important. He thought he had it in Utah.

"I love Utah," said Manning, who led KU to the national title in 1988. "I told Kevin O'Connor, the general manager, that I want to be in Utah -- but not at that salary." Manning has until Saturday to make his decision official. If that happens, he can begin negotiating with franchises, including Utah, on July 18.

If he can't negotiate a new contract with the Jazz, Manning said, he has no clue where he will end up. But he doesn't expect to reunite with former Phoenix teammate Charles Barkley in Washington. Barkley and former Chicago Bulls star Michael Jordan have hinted that they may come out of retirement and play for the Wizards, for whom Jordan is part owner.

"You never say never," Manning chuckled. "But I don't see that in the future."
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2001, 09:50 PM   #2
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Danny Manning is possibly the best offensive bench player in the league, and he is the most capable pure scorer on the Jazz. If he were healthy enough to play more than 15 minutes a game, he would be a very scary man...
Old 06-26-2001, 11:35 PM   #3
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

15 minutes of Manning would help the Mavs. And if he's got to play for the mininum, then why not in Dallas?
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 07:53 AM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

he can score down low, consistently...which is something the mavs don't have.
juwan can be shut down at times..but manning is a scorer
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 09:16 AM   #5
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I think it sounds good too. However it looks like Manning is looking for the veteran exception. I thought Dallas was looking to use that exception on someone like Hardaway. Granted if we could get manning, I think it would be a plus all in our favor.
Old 06-27-2001, 09:19 AM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

actually, from what i've heard...it seems like the mavs are trying to get hardaway for the veteran minimum and bring in someone at the 4 or 5 spot at the exception
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 10:20 AM   #7
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

manning was scoring at will against us in the 1st round... i remember getting so pissed... he and olden polynice...
Old 06-27-2001, 10:48 AM   #8
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Someone on ESPN was talking about a draft day trade that happened. When the Bulls drafted Olden Polynice and the Sonics drafted Scottie Pippen. Apparently the Sonics LAUGHED at Krause and said they would do it for them and thought they were getting a deal out of the situation. They were making fun of the Sonics saying how watch out for them to make some other GREAT MOVES at the draft this evening!
Old 06-27-2001, 11:40 AM   #9
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Big Boy is right...how many times did Manning and Polynice score on us at will in the first round?

I think Manning would be a nice addition to the team, have the Mavs shown any interest at all?