Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-17-2003, 01:33 PM   #1
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default Blazers want a team that they can be proud of

Text

The blazers appear to want to build around their young stars woods and randolph. Could rasheed be on the block maybe. The mavs have plenty of character to infuse into the blazers. Yeah I know wallace is a head case but iin an enviroment with other nut cases he can't thrive. a nick and raef deal along with trade fillers could be in order. Bonzi Wells is also an intriguing player perhaps on the move too.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2003, 02:49 PM   #2
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough
Default Two to tango will portland and dallas ever hook up?

no way a Raef&Nick for sheed goes,though i just love the idea.
Raef becamed just a liabilety,and i think he lost his credebilety through out the league,lets hope this season he'll start earning his pay.
Nick is a player they might want,but it still doesn't add up.
i think they much rather resign Sheed.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 03:22 PM   #3
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

These two trading partners make too much sense, which means nothing will happen
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 03:38 PM   #4
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road

I think Portland would be willing to deal if a team would take Stoudamire's contract off their hands. A Raef, NVE,Avery Johnson deal would make sense , the Blazers get some leadership, a solid point guard, and the Mavs get a solid low post back-to-the-basket type player in R.Wallace who they've been lookin for all summer.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:14 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Call me crazy, but I still think Raef is about to break out. I think we may be talking about his contract being a good deal next year at this time.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 04:20 PM   #6
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Two to tango will portland and dallas ever hook up?

I want no part of Stoudamire. Not even Wallace draws enough interest for me to take on that contract.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:27 PM   #7
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Call me crazy, but I still think Raef is about to break out. I think we may be talking about his contract being a good deal next year at this time.
What makes you think this Doc? Anything other than pathologically optimistic hopefulness?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 05:36 PM   #8
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road

Stoudamire's contract is up in 2 years,even before Van Exel's , freeing up 17 million in cap room, and next year Rasheed Wallace's contract is up, maybe freeing up enough money for KG, kobe or even resigning him? Stoudamire could be used as trade bait next year , if the right situation came along to where another team wants to free up salary cap room.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:41 PM   #9
Mavs_Rule2003

Mavs_Rule2003 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Tony tha Mavs fan
Stoudamire's contract is up in 2 years,even before Van Exel's , freeing up 17 million in cap room, and next year Rasheed Wallace's contract is up, maybe freeing up enough money for KG, kobe or even resigning him? Stoudamire could be used as trade bait next year , if the right situation came along to where another team wants to free up salary cap room.
Stoudamire and right situation? ...... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Mavs_Rule2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 08:45 PM   #10
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough

No way this trade should happen, the Mavs should be trying to fill their holes.(sf, c), Not going after positions they already have filled.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:50 PM   #11
JoshHoward5

JoshHoward5 is on a distinguished road

I like the trade, it's just that we'd have to move Dirk to sf or c. That, or have Rasheed play sf or c. I f Don Nelson thinks that will work, let the trade happen.
JoshHoward5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 08:53 PM   #12
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It doesn't matter that Stoudamire's contract is up in 2 years, we'd still be over the cap with Finley, Dirk, Raef, Eddie, Bradley, Esch, and TAW.

It would certainly put us over if we were to resign Wallace after this season. We'd be having to give new contracts to both Nash and Wallace.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:00 PM   #13
one long blue sock
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: JoshHoward5
I like the trade, it's just that we'd have to move Dirk to sf or c. That, or have Rasheed play sf or c. I f Don Nelson thinks that will work, let the trade happen.
Whats up Jud...

But what did i tell you at Selwyn. You gotta be tough to play center, Sheed is undersized, and Dirk would get banged up too much and would risk injury with his small frame. Dirk isn't as strong as other PF's and Centers.(Shaq, Wallace, Duncan, Webber)

And both Sheed and Dirk are too slow on Defense to play 3, but i do like the idea of a tall 3 to counter-act the small ball defense in the 25 foot range.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:10 PM   #14
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

'Sheed is listed at 6-11, 230, and he's considered "tough" and all that.

Dirk is listed at 7-0, 240, and he's not given that much credit.

Although I do agree with Sock in that I'd prefer Dirk not play a lot of center because of the abuse and fatigue factor. However, Dirk and Sheed are both versatile enough to play all three frontcourt slots in plenty of situations. Putting them in the same frontcourt would do a lot to help out our situations with spare-small-forward-by-committee and spare-center-by-committee.

I'd take 'Sheed. Probably even for NVE... but it depends on the deal.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 09:22 PM   #15
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
Quote:
It doesn't matter that Stoudamire's contract is up in 2 years, we'd still be over the cap with Finley, Dirk, Raef, Eddie, Bradley, Esch, and TAW.

It would certainly put us over if we were to resign Wallace after this season. We'd be having to give new contracts to both Nash and Wallace.
MFF, I think the implication is that Stoudamire would be a sought-after commodity in the year or two leading up to the end of his contract (in the same way Juwan Howard was the last two years) because he'd create cap space for the team that ended up with him. Definitely good trade bait.

And, if we were to take on Stoudamire, it would be in exchange for some of those dudes you mentioned, because we'd have to give up some salary to take on Stoudy. Of course, this is all about a trade for Wallace, I thought. To take both Wallace and Stoudy, we'd have to trade something like $30mil in salary, which would be virtually impossible given the long term deals most of our guys have. It would make no sense for Portland. They'd be better served letting the guys' big contracts run out and turning them lose than taking on Mav mistakes.

I don't forsee any scenario in which they both would come. And, I hardly see any scenario in which Stoudamire would make any sort of sense. His primary advantage would be his tradabillity when his contract is up -- which is something he already has in common with NVE. They make roughly the same amount of money, both have not-too-many years left, and NVE is MUCH more desired 'round the league than Stoudamire, AND the better player, anyway. So, taking Stoudamire makes no sense for the Mavs in any way as they've already got a much better Stoudamire in NVE. If they don't want to keep NVE around for the long haul, they stand to make best use of him by trading him near the end of his deal.

I do forsee some scenarios in which Wallace could make sense for the Mavs, but NVE would undoubtedly be the centerpiece of a deal for Wallace, and Portland taking NVE may or may not make sense. Depends on what their master plan is - and Stoudamire's future is a big player in that plan as it relates to Portland taking on NVE, since Stoudy makes a lot of money, has issues muchos, and plays the same position as NVE.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:33 PM   #16
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I expect that the player that the Blazers want from the Mavs would be Finley. I know they have swing men galore but the Blazers are looking to improve the image of the team. Finley is professional and carries himself in a classy way.

If Sheed was the Sheed of two years ago, then I'd make a Fin for Sheed swap. But it seems like Sheed has lost something - maybe his edge. I hate the number of 3's he takes.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 09:37 PM   #17
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Geez.

Wanna know what it would take to get Stoudamire and Wallace?

Dallas trades: NVE, AJ, Esch, TAW, and Bradley

Dallas receives: Stoudamire and Wallace

---edit---

If it's Finley they want, this deal works as well.

Dallas trades: Finley, NVE, Bradley, and Esch

Dallas receives: Stoudamire and Wallace
Old 07-17-2003, 09:42 PM   #18
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Right.. they'd be taking NVE and every bad contract (by money or years) on the roster except Raef. It wouldn't make any sense for 'em. And I just don't see Finley being traded in that type of a mess. I suppose it's a remote possibility, but I just don't see it.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:42 PM   #19
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

here's a trade that'll make you think twice.

Portalnd trades: (24.8)

Rasheed Wallace (17mil)
Derek Anderson (7.8 mil)

Dallas trades: (24.1)

Micheal Finley (13.2 mil)
NVE (10.9mil)

this is accepted on REalGM, and obviously the #'s work.

Would you do it? NVE for sheed is a steal, and DA is basically a quicker Fin, that likes to drive to the basket more.

Portland does to get talent for Sheed, while upgrading their image.

Dallas does to get Sheed, a big guy with great talent, and a replacement for Fin at the same time. Plus DA is cheaper.

Portland
PG: NVE / McInnis / Dimebag Damon
SG: FIN / Woods
SF: Wells / Patterson
PF: Davis / Outlaw
C: Randolph / boumtje- Boumtje

Dallas
PG: Nash / (AJ/M. Daniels/FA?)......plus DA has handles for the 1 too
SG: Anderson / Raja
SF: Howard/ TAW................................or Dirk/ Howard
PF: Dirk / LAF / Naj...............................Sheed/ Naj
C: Sheed / Bradley.................................Raef/ Bradley

I'd hate to trade Fin, but this would be tough one to pass up
Old 07-17-2003, 10:53 PM   #20
one long blue sock
Golden Member

Dallas would be giving up to much.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:18 PM   #21
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
What makes you think this Doc? Anything other than pathologically optimistic hopefulness?

Guilty as charged. But, Raef played very well in the playoffs when Dirk went down. I think he really learned that he can play at a high level against the best competition. But....I am hopelessly optimistic when it comes to my Mavs.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 11:20 PM   #22
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Just211
here's a trade that'll make you think twice.

Portalnd trades: (24.8)

Rasheed Wallace (17mil)
Derek Anderson (7.8 mil)

Dallas trades: (24.1)

Micheal Finley (13.2 mil)
NVE (10.9mil)

this is accepted on REalGM, and obviously the #'s work.

Would you do it? NVE for sheed is a steal, and DA is basically a quicker Fin, that likes to drive to the basket more.

Portland does to get talent for Sheed, while upgrading their image.

Dallas does to get Sheed, a big guy with great talent, and a replacement for Fin at the same time. Plus DA is cheaper.

Portland
PG: NVE / McInnis / Dimebag Damon
SG: FIN / Woods
SF: Wells / Patterson
PF: Davis / Outlaw
C: Randolph / boumtje- Boumtje

Dallas
PG: Nash / (AJ/M. Daniels/FA?)......plus DA has handles for the 1 too
SG: Anderson / Raja
SF: Howard/ TAW................................or Dirk/ Howard
PF: Dirk / LAF / Naj...............................Sheed/ Naj
C: Sheed / Bradley.................................Raef/ Bradley

I'd hate to trade Fin, but this would be tough one to pass up
No chance I would do the deal. Anderson is NOT a replacement for Finley. Anderson had his BEST year shooting the ball and shot under 43%. He can't board and isn't known as a defensive stopper. Finley is almost All-Star caliber and Anderson is basically a journeyman.

But the Blazers would love this deal.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:31 PM   #23
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

last year DA shot .427 from the field, and fin shot .425. from 3 pt it's .350 to .358. He shot just as good, plus he is more agressive going to the basket, and has better handles.

I'm not pushing for fin to go, just lookin at the #'s, including the salaries, and age.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:34 PM   #24
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Anderson disappeared when he went to Portland. He should have stayed with the Spurs.

Truthfully, I think I like that Portland team better (minus Stoudamire) than the Dallas one after that trade.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:39 PM   #25
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Just211
last year DA shot .427 from the field, and fin shot .425. from 3 pt it's .350 to .358. He shot just as good, plus he is more agressive going to the basket, and has better handles.

I'm not pushing for fin to go, just lookin at the #'s, including the salaries, and age.
DA has a career shooting percentage of under 42%, if he was good at going to the basket then wouldn't that number be higher?

Finley shoots over 45% for his career AND gets you 6 boards a game.

BTW Finley shot 37.0% from 3 point land.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:02 AM   #26
Just211
Platinum Member

alright MFFL and MFF, how bout if Dallas adds Esch and portland adds McInnis, would that even it up?

Sheed, DA, and McInnis for NVE, Fin, and Esch.

it works, and you cut esch pay, while adding a Back up PG. and IMO DAllas would be getting the better end
Old 07-18-2003, 12:28 AM   #27
Lvubun1

Lvubun1 is on a distinguished road

I would do the Finley and NVE for Wallace trade, after the group of KG, Dirk, Duncan their isn't a better PF then Wallace. He can shoot outside but unlike Walker he also can bang and grab some boards. Problem is teams don't like trading to division rivals, one reason is because it might improve the other team you might have to play down the line, and the other reason is you don't want to see those players you trade on another team seeking revenge. I'm not sure what would be worst, playing the Lakers in the playoffs or the Blazers with a angry, ticked-off Nick Van Exel.
Lvubun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 05:29 AM   #28
Mavs_Rule2003

Mavs_Rule2003 is on a distinguished road

I would only give up NVE and some one (none of big three) to have Wallace. Else not!
Mavs_Rule2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 09:11 AM   #29
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Another scenerio that works is that Dallas trades: Finley, NVE, and Bradley

Dallas receieves: Wallace and Dale Davis

Portland starting 5:

Bradley
Randolph
Wells
Finley
NVE

Dallas starting 5:

Raef
Wallace
Dirk
Howard
Nash
Old 07-18-2003, 01:07 PM   #30
one long blue sock
Golden Member

Wow that is a tall team.

Dale Davis is pretty decent, he was an all-star back when he was a Pacer.

And he could get the Mavs crucial rebounds.