Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-05-2005, 07:35 AM   #1
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute
Default At what point do we think about starting Quis?

I know it's extremely early, but it's a legit question. Through the entire preseason and two regular season games, Quis has been much more productive than Christie. For the record, I was one of the biggest supporters of bringing Christie here, primarily because I thought having him in the backcourt would really help improve the ball movement. Once we find some continuity on offense, this may be the case, but it's painfully clear that Christie is very limited offensively at this point in his career. Maybe if and when the team figures itself out offensively, he can contribute more by spotting up and such, and sort of play a role similar to the one Bruce Bowen plays for the Spurs.

But what if that doesn't happen? How far can we really go if our starting 2 guard can't score more than 5 ppg.

So that leads to the question, when do we think about starting Quis? It's obvious that he's lightyears ahead of Christie in terms of scoring. From what I've seen his D is more than adequate. The only problem I have with Quis (aside from his lousy shooting) is that he puts on blinders when slashing down the lane. Of course, that's pretty much the same problem with Stack; both can become blackholes. I wonder though, can Marquis be our Rip Hamilton? Our dare I say, our Ginobili?
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2005, 08:44 AM   #2
Don_Didi

Don_Didi is on a distinguished road
Default RE:At what point do we think about starting Quis?

I tend to agree with you. For one thing, I just don't think Quis is made to be a backup. With JET taking on the offensive role that he is, I think Quis and Josh would work great together. Defensively, I agree also, Quis can do the job. I remember games in his rookie season where Quis actually won us a few games with his knack for slapping balls around. Hopefully, AJ will act quickly.
Don_Didi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 09:51 AM   #3
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: At what point do we think about starting Quis?

Of coure he Can be Rip. Why he isn't starting blows my mind away. I don't care if its early, we can't wait 20 games for Christie to figure it out if it hinders the team. Start Quis.

Quis is younger, healthier, better scorer, from what I've seen a better defender, and makes more money. I don't even think there is an argument to start Christie.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 10:08 AM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

soon

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 11:06 AM   #5
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I agree...ofcourse I don't think we could have said this before the season started because Quis was still a question mark. Now it's clear he's starting calibur. He's earned the spot in the offseason, preseason, and so far this season.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 11:34 AM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

They only reason I think he's not starting right now is that there is no one after him at all. We are center-forward heavy. If stack were available he'd be starting tommorrow. As it is, christie will continue to start, begin to get less than the 28 he's getting now, probably around 20. I see christie dropping to 10 or so if stack gets back.

But I'm not thinking he'll be back permanently this year, he sounds like he should have had surgery for something. It's been a month now and he still can't run, I think he may be done, we need to find another swingman/shooter.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 11:53 AM   #7
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I've already started thinking about it. I'm still hopeful Christie will round into shape, especially his jumper, but he's not even close to providing what we need from our starting SG right now. I've been quitely thinking that I'd like to see what happens against SA, after the team has had a couple days away from games to practice and recover from that very draining opening road trip before I jump on a start-Quis bandwagon, and Marquis has plenty he needs to work on as well, but if Doug and Quis continue their early trends today I'll be 100% behind a change to the starting lineup.

I'm not one to advocate starting youth for youth's sake, either, and have argued against such a course re: Devin. The reason behind that, however, is that for all JT's faults I believe him to be a considerably more effective player at this point than Devin. Unless the Mavs want to start games with a big lineup (JT/Josh/Dirk/KVH/Damp), I simply don't see that there's even an argument (at least while Stack's injured) about whether the Mavs currently have a more effective SG than Quis. Factor in the growth potential and Doug's got to show something soon or a change will need to be made.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:55 AM   #8
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
soon
Tonight!
Old 11-05-2005, 12:51 PM   #9
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Hopefully soon. When Stack comes back Christie should be the 3rd string shooting guard. Just get minutes when the game is over and hopefully that will bring him back to playing form. Being that he's coming off an injury i'm surprised the Mavs chose to start him so early. The Mavs are paying Daniels wayyyyyyyyyy too much to just not be doing anything. If you don't feel he's the right player for this team atleast get him so pt so he can become trade bait.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 01:28 PM   #10
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about

I don't mind starting Christie to set a defensive tone but I'd only play the man 12 - 15 minutes. Once Stack gets back he's gong to get 21 - 25 minutes. Daniels will get 25 - 30.

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 01:41 PM   #11
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Christie should continue starting, Marquis is still getting heavy minutes and playing very important minutes at the end of games. Marquis starting will only take away shots from Dirk and JET. Sure, Marquis is a better player than Christie, but Christie (in theory) fits better with the first unit than Marquis with his particular skillset.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 01:50 PM   #12
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Christie should continue starting, Marquis is still getting heavy minutes and playing very important minutes at the end of games. Marquis starting will only take away shots from Dirk and JET. Sure, Marquis is a better player than Christie, but Christie (in theory) fits better with the first unit than Marquis with his particular skillset.
See, for my money, Quis is the one with the complimentary skill set. He may have more of a shoot-first mentality than Doug, but I like him better as a guy you run the offense through (even if Christie is a nice facilitator of offensive flow when his game is together).
Old 11-05-2005, 02:12 PM   #13
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I think we are going to have growing pains no matter what, but I think starting Quis would give Daniels a real boost. The sample size is miniscule but Daniels seems to play psychological ball. When he starts he's played awesomely.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 03:22 PM   #14
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: V
I don't mind starting Christie to set a defensive tone but I'd only play the man 12 - 15 minutes. Once Stack gets back he's gong to get 21 - 25 minutes. Daniels will get 25 - 30.
He hasn't been setting a defensive tone and seems to stand around on offense....Bench Him. Christie has shown nothing so far and has no potential to untap unlike Daniels whos had the better games and is loaded with potential. Our production from the 2 spot couldn't get any worse, so why not try it out? Plus we could use a spark for the spurs game.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 04:16 PM   #15
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Christie has shown nothing so far
Obviously I agree about starting Marquis, but I woudn't go as far as to say Christie's shown nothing. I for one think his defense has been every bit as good as I hoped for... And there have been moments when I thought the offense just looked much more smoothe with him on the floor. However, those moments were few and far between, but still, that's more than nothing. OTOH, if you're just talking about scoring, then you're right, he's shown nothing.

As I said before, I think Christie should play basically the same role for us that Bowen plays for the Spurs, only have him innitiate the offense a few times a game. He needs to remember how to spot the hell up... so does Jet.

Old 11-05-2005, 05:43 PM   #16
MrCheerios

MrCheerios is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Thespiralgoeson
Quote:
Christie has shown nothing so far
As I said before, I think Christie should play basically the same role for us that Bowen plays for the Spurs, only have him innitiate the offense a few times a game. He needs to remember how to spot the hell up... so does Jet.
If both guys are spotting up, who's creating?
MrCheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 06:43 PM   #17
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

If Christie is told to be a spotup shooter by AJ, then I will start bashing on Avery. Armstrong should be a spotup shooter before Christie should and both should be providing movement and defense.

Movement and defense.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:00 PM   #18
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
If Christie is told to be a spotup shooter by AJ, then I will start bashing on Avery. Armstrong should be a spotup shooter before Christie should and both should be providing movement and defense.

Movement and defense.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:07 PM   #19
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Avery should have started Quis all along. I've NOTHING out of Christie that makes me think he earned it.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 07:47 PM   #20
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly. Going by performance only (from TC, preseason) - the starting guard job should read Daniels.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 08:00 PM   #21
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

if its performance only, then the starting lineup would be

Diop
Nowitzki
KVH
Terry
Armstrong
Old 11-10-2005, 06:35 PM   #22
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

I thought this was worth pointing out; Quis actually showed the ability to kick it out to the open man when driving last night against Philly. The kid had 5 assists; he'd had none at all in the first three games. If this is the start of major change for him, that is, if he always does this from now on, we might have ourselves a quality 2 here... Of course we all know how horrible Quisy is from the perimeter, but that might be something we can live with if he can continue to move the ball like he did last night... Everything else about his game seems to be solid...
Old 11-10-2005, 07:32 PM   #23
MaverickFFL2

MaverickFFL2 can only hope to improve

MaverickFFL2 is offline   Reply With Quote