Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-18-2015, 05:35 PM   #161
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Powell loves shooting 3s in summer league...

Still not sold on Anderson. Little too slow to me/shot has a big dip. I do not agree with whoever said he could guard 1-4 positions. PGs would blow by him.

Could be a backup. Dont see him being a starter consistently in the league.

Or maybe I could just wait to see how he translates to actual NBA not summer league.
I believe it was Donnie who corrected the media when asked about his defense ability translating to a 1-4 defender. I think he said he could guard 2-4 and some 1's but not the elite/quick ones in their mind.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2015, 06:52 PM   #162
ffballer

ffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to behold

well it's over, anderson is gonna be a solid nba role player, reminds a bit of russ westbrook, jeremy tyler deserves a spot at our roster, i think he's better than dalembert(gosh mugsy bogues at 50 is better playing at the 5) shaqtin mcgee and tyus jones, the rest of the guys trash, especially the idian dude
Old 07-18-2015, 06:56 PM   #163
MrScottMcKenzie

MrScottMcKenzie is a jewel in the roughMrScottMcKenzie is a jewel in the roughMrScottMcKenzie is a jewel in the roughMrScottMcKenzie is a jewel in the rough

Takeaways:

Justin Anderson may be legit.
That Indian dude was drafted to be comical value for whatever team he plays for.

Also, I'm not as sold on the Dwight Powell hype as much as some of you.

Last edited by MrScottMcKenzie; 07-18-2015 at 06:57 PM.
MrScottMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:04 PM   #164
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScottMcKenzie View Post
Also, I'm not as sold on the Dwight Powell hype as much as some of you.
I didn't realize there was a Dwight Powell hype train... What don't you like about the guy?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:23 PM   #165
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I didn't realize there was a Dwight Powell hype train... What don't you like about the guy?
Depends on what's expected.
If expectations are that he will be Dirk's eventual replacement that is a bit lofty but a decent rotation guy isn't out of the question.
Won't know unless he gets adequate PT.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:36 PM   #166
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I didn't realize there was a Dwight Powell hype train...

Dwight Powell hype train.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:42 PM   #167
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

With the exception of 2 games from Tyler and Wayns where they stepped up, I thought it was pretty clear that JA and Powell both were head and shoulders above the rest and the only reason we were even watchable. Tyler may deserve a camp invite but his defense really does concern me. I want no part of Wayns. I know the announcers gushed over him during those 2 wins but in the 4 losses he was really hard to watch. Powell shot so many 3's I have to wonder if Mavs told him to stretch the floor and green light him on open ones much like they did with Ivan Johnson. I'm not worried about Powell's shot though it's his defense that needs work. Anderson's last 3 games from 3- 3/6, 4/6, 4/7. He didn't merely just catch and shoot either which is why I'm even more excited. I think he also finished 18-20 from FT line over the 6 games. I'd post Anderson's hype train but I have yet to find a big enough train for my love fest for the guy.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:19 PM   #168
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
I think he also finished 18-20 from FT line over the 6 games. I'd post Anderson's hype train but I have yet to find a big enough train for my love fest for the guy.
FT% is probably the only stat that translates from SL to the NBA, so it's nice to see the 18-20 line... Not that expect him to shoot 90% in the regular season, but at least we know he can hit a freebie.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-18-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:38 PM   #169
MrScottMcKenzie

MrScottMcKenzie is a jewel in the roughMrScottMcKenzie is a jewel in the roughMrScottMcKenzie is a jewel in the roughMrScottMcKenzie is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Very lazy defender and has a over inflated opinion of himself from three.
MrScottMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:34 PM   #170
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Powell is Wright without the shotockingg and much rawer offensive skills.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:37 PM   #171
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Last I heard he was being asked to look for the 3 more...I think he prefers to be inside and has a very soft touch much like Wright does. I think Powell will be a nice player to have just like Wright was.

I haven't watched many games but did see highlights and Anderson def seems legit and if he continues working could possibly be a HUGE part of the team's future
Old 07-18-2015, 09:41 PM   #172
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScottMcKenzie View Post
Very lazy defender and has a over inflated opinion of himself from three.
I don't know about him having a "high opinion" of his 3-pointer -- I think coach told him to let loose... He had 49 attempts in 6 games during summer league versus 11 attempts in 29 games during his pro career.

And nobody plays defense in summer league.

Obviously he still has a lot of work to put into his game, but I don't see either of those things as being a problem during the regular season.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-18-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:27 AM   #173
GermanStandard

GermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to behold

Anderson was fantastic this SL and very consistent. One of the better Players of this Draft Class for sure.

Give him TC and some coaching by RC and Dirk/Matthews/Parsons and he will be fine.

He has the most PPG of all guys drafted this Year.

-------------------------------------------------

Baller from the G'
GermanStandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #174
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Next season he will play for the Texas Legends, the Mavericks’ D-League affiliate, so he can continue to develop. Steven Kyler of Basketball Insiders tells Mavs Moneyball that the Legends will bring in former Maverick DeSagana Diop to mentor and work with Singh. It’s too early to know how Singh will develop. However, the Mavericks appear to be genuinely invested in his progress. As for Singh, he already feels that he is up to the challenge. “I think it’s good to work with these guys,” he said about his teammates and coaches. “When I was here [in the first game] and we were really close with some D-League [players] I said, ‘Of course I can play with these guys. My body is ready for these guys … I’m here. I’m ready.'”
– via mavsmoneyball.com

DeSagana Diop, Satnam Singh, Dallas Mavericks
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:26 AM   #175
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Next season he will play for the Texas Legends, the Mavericks’ D-League affiliate, so he can continue to develop. Steven Kyler of Basketball Insiders tells Mavs Moneyball that the Legends will bring in former Maverick DeSagana Diop to mentor and work with Singh. It’s too early to know how Singh will develop. However, the Mavericks appear to be genuinely invested in his progress. As for Singh, he already feels that he is up to the challenge. “I think it’s good to work with these guys,” he said about his teammates and coaches. “When I was here [in the first game] and we were really close with some D-League [players] I said, ‘Of course I can play with these guys. My body is ready for these guys … I’m here. I’m ready.'”
– via mavsmoneyball.com

DeSagana Diop, Satnam Singh, Dallas Mavericks

LOL. You know you're raw when Diop is your mentor.

That being said one of my all time favorite Mavs memories will be that game 7 against the Spurs and Diop's FANTASTIC defense on Duncan that last possession and in overtime.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:56 AM   #176
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Some thoughts on SL
--- Anderson was much better than I anticipated, he needs to work on a in between game like floaters and a pull up mid range jumper but he can drive and finish some and looked confortable on the catch from 3
- I came away more optimistic about Powell than I was before, it is obvious it is the coaching staff that wants him to shoot the 3 but he has some nice offensive skill, a decent mid range game, had a few really impressive rebounds, am worried about the defense however.
--- Not sold Wayns is worth a roster spot anywhere
-- Crawford sucks
--- Tyler is worth a camp invite but his poor defense should prevent him from making the roster
Old 07-19-2015, 01:46 PM   #177
DGM
Banned

DGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Don't agree. Powell has better offense and range than Wright.
DGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:16 PM   #178
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGM View Post
Don't agree. Powell has better offense and range than Wright.
Better rebounder too.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:32 PM   #179
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Powell and Wright are very different players. I don't think I'd have chosen that comparison.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:54 AM   #180
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs Powell did well for himself - hope he gets some back-up Dirk minutes.

All-NBA Summer League First Team
Kyle Anderson (San Antonio)
Seth Curry (New Orleans)
Doug McDermott (Chicago)
Norman Powell (Toronto)
T.J. Warren (Phoenix)

All-NBA Summer League Second Team
Larry Drew II (New Orleans)
Emmanuel Mudiay (Denver)
Dwight Powell (Dallas)
Noah Vonleh (Portland)
Alan Williams (Houston)
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:42 AM   #181
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
Mavs Powell did well for himself - hope he gets some back-up Dirk minutes.
That's what I'm hoping out of Powell....someone who can keep Dirk's minutes down.
However with the ridiculous WC it will be difficult for RC to give Dirk much rest in order for us to even make the POs. Have a feeling CV will be a rotational player this season and first guy off bench.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote