Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-06-2015, 03:33 PM   #1
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future
Default Unofficial Power Rankings

Come up with your own Power Rankings for right now. Either go for the whole NBA or just limit it to the Western Conference since that's where our Mavericks play.

1. Golden State Warriors (defending Champions deserve this spot for now)
2. San Antonio Spurs (champions as recently as 2014 and have added LaMarcus Aldridge)
3. Oklahoma City Thunder (if healthy this team has the two best scorers in the NBA and can do some real damage)
4. Houston Rockets (top team in the toughest division during the 2014-15 season)
5. Memphis Grizzlies (as long as they have Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol they're among the Western Conference elite)
6. Dallas Mavericks (when I was ready to panic they really put together the best offseason ever)
7. New Orleans (will Alvin Gentry get them to the next level?)
8. L.A. Clippers (will additions Paul Pierce and Lance Stephenson be enough to make up for their losses?)
9. Phoenix Suns (how much better will this team be with Tyson Chandler?)

I don't feel like going past #9. The other 6 teams just don't look good enough. Minnesota could surprise though.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:35 PM   #2
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

With a half roster? Good idea...
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:39 PM   #3
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

A real Power Rankings was actually just released so why not. And we already know who our key players will be. The other guys are not so detrimental to the team's success. Teams really just need to go 8 or 9 deep.

Also I'd like to add that we have a good idea as to what most of what the Mavericks roster will end up being:

Guards: Jeremy Lin*, J.J. Barea*, Devin Harris, Wesley Matthews, Jason Terry*
Forwards: Chandler Parsons, Dirk Nowitzki, Richard Jefferson, Justin Anderson, Jeremy Evans, Dwight Powell, Carlos Boozer*
Center: DeAndre Jordan

Players with an asterisk by their names have not agreed to a contract yet and could very well end up somewhere else. Most are likely to become Mavericks though. Other candidates for the roster include Charlie Villanueva and Bernard James among others.

Also damn... David West is also now on the Spurs. Can we just give them the rings now and skip this season?! I really hope that this season for the Spurs plays out like the one for the Mavs in which we had Antoine and Antawn.

Last edited by NeedlesKane; 07-06-2015 at 03:49 PM.
NeedlesKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:41 PM   #4
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

Tier 1:
1. San Antonio Spurs
2. Golden State Warriors

Tier 2:
3. Oklahoma City Thunder
4. Houston Rockets
5. Memphis Grizzlies
6. Dallas Mavericks

Tier 3:
7. New Orleans
8. L.A. Clippers
9. Phoenix Suns
10. Utah Jazz

Got some kind of a chance:
Portland Trailblazers
Minnesota Timberwolves
Sacramento Kings

Out of the playoff race already:
Los Angeles Lakers
Denver Nuggets

Teams in the East that could win a playoff spot if they were in the West:
Cleveland
Chicago
Milwaukee
Atlanta

Last edited by bunkmoreland; 07-06-2015 at 03:48 PM.
bunkmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:58 PM   #5
howdoesmydirktaste

howdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud of

Not sure I'm putting the Thunder that high. They have a new head coach and, yes KD and Westbrook are going to tear it up with their ringless fingers, but the supporting cast there is nothing to brag about. While this isn't my personal opinion, some would argue that their best player in the last 5 years now plays for the Houston Rockets. I don't put them above San Antonio, Golden State, Houston or Memphis. Not sure I'd put them ahead of Dallas either, but the offseason isn't over. To me they are a 5 or 6 seed with a health Durant and Westbrook. If they are tier 2, I'd put them at the back. Maybe the new coach will prove me wrong. Maybe Durant will be on a mission.

Last edited by howdoesmydirktaste; 07-06-2015 at 09:03 PM.
howdoesmydirktaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:00 PM   #6
EastTxMFFL

EastTxMFFL is just really niceEastTxMFFL is just really niceEastTxMFFL is just really niceEastTxMFFL is just really niceEastTxMFFL is just really niceEastTxMFFL is just really niceEastTxMFFL is just really nice

Championships aren't won on paper...but damn the Spurs are looking great. I don't see a healthy Spurs team losing to any team in the west. Spurs and Cavs are a lock for the finals IMO.
EastTxMFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:10 PM   #7
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTxMFFL View Post
Championships aren't won on paper...but damn the Spurs are looking great. I don't see a healthy Spurs team losing to any team in the west. Spurs and Cavs are a lock for the finals IMO.
If them and Golden State both stay healthy the Western Conference Finals will be a bloodbath. I'm already anticipating the series.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:28 PM   #8
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Both look like 64+ win teams
Tier 1
1. SA
2. GSW

Tier 2
3. OKC- Would be in tier 1 if not for Enes I am one of the worst defenders in nba kanter looks to be back

Tier 3
4. Memphis
5. Houston

Tier 4
6. LAC- They still have Blake and CP3, and JJ is very good also, but yeah 1 Blake or CP3 injury of 10+ games and they maybe screwed, matters what lance they get too
7. Dallas- Really hard to know what to expect out of Wes this year, but if he gives mavs what he gave Portland last year pre injury they could battle for up to 4th, if he struggles missing the playoffs isn't crazy. PG situation isn't as bad as people say if they get lin, but short on backup bigs and Dirk can't play huge minutes anymore.
8. NOP- AD maybe ready for another leap, Ryan Anderson bounceback would be huge as well as less injuries, if that happens they will finish higher than 8th, giving Asik 5 years is very questionable.
9. Utah- A PG away, really interesting young team
10. Phx- Tyson will help the defense, but I'm not a believer in Knight, but they have Bledsoe and interesting young pieces
11. Denver- Do they blow it up? Hope gallanari can stay healthy, he's very good and underappreciated when healthy
12. Portland- Damian Lillard going to take so many shots
13. Sacramento- Koufos is underrated, Cousins is terrific, that front office is a mess
14. Lakers- Believer in Russell, Hibbert's defense will help a bit.
15. Timberwolves- Like the young core but so young
Old 07-08-2015, 02:29 PM   #9
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was premature to respond to this, but I had no idea.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:30 PM   #10
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Word.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #11
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

Quote:
No kidding. I am really disappointed in DJ right now. I had a huge level of respect for him before today. Now it's tainted. He hopefully ends up a Maverick still. If not, I will be in a state of panic.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:43 PM   #12
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
No kidding. I am really disappointed in DJ right now. I had a huge level of respect for him before today. Now it's tainted. He hopefully ends up a Maverick still. If not, I will be in a state of panic.
Next time wait until we have more than four guys on contract?
Old 07-09-2015, 10:03 AM   #13
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Good thing you did not wait a few more days...
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:33 AM   #14
bunkmoreland

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkmoreland View Post
Tier 1:
1. San Antonio Spurs
2. Golden State Warriors

Tier 2:
3. Oklahoma City Thunder
4. Houston Rockets
5. Memphis Grizzlies
6. Dallas Mavericks

Tier 3:
7. New Orleans
8. L.A. Clippers
9. Phoenix Suns
10. Utah Jazz

Got some kind of a chance:
Portland Trailblazers
Minnesota Timberwolves
Sacramento Kings

Out of the playoff race already:
Los Angeles Lakers
Denver Nuggets

Teams in the East that could win a playoff spot if they were in the West:
Cleveland
Chicago
Milwaukee
Atlanta
I'm gonna try this again now.

Tier 1:
San Antonio Spurs
Golden State Warriors

Tier 2:
Oklahoma City Thunder
Houston Rockets
L.A. Clippers
Memphis Grizzlies

Tier 3:
New Orleans Hornets
Phoenix Suns
Dallas Mavericks
Utah Jazz

Tier "Got some kind of a chance, I suppose":
Minnesota Timberwolves
Sacramento Kings

Tier: "Out of the playoff race already":
Portland Trailblazers
Los Angeles Lakers
Denver Nuggets

Teams in the East that could win the 6 seed or better if they were in the West:
Cleveland Cavaliers

Last edited by bunkmoreland; 07-21-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:49 AM   #15
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

IDK...that top 6 is a complete toss-up as far as I'm concerned. I'd put all of them in the Tier 1 group.

Just hope we can at least play spoiler in the POs and knock either the Clips, Rockets, or Spurs out in the first round.

Last edited by rimrocker; 07-21-2015 at 09:50 AM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:26 AM   #16
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

All I hear on nba radio etc. is that Dallas is behind Phoenix, New Orleans, and Utah Jazz. They have us down in the 10 spot with Portland and Minnesota. I'm actually super pumped by this. We get to play the under dog card role. People forget we have a 7 foot German who scores 18 points a game (that was with Ellis on the court too) shooting 48% from the field, 38% from 3, and 90% from the line.

Our rebounding is not looking great, but health pending I love the rest of this team. It's going to be fun.
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:31 AM   #17
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Tier 1:
San Antonio Spurs
Golden State Warriors

Tier 2:
Oklahoma City Thunder
Houston Rockets
L.A. Clippers
Memphis Grizzlies

Tier 3:
New Orleans Hornets
Phoenix Suns
Dallas Mavericks
Utah Jazz

Minnesota Timberwolves
Sacramento Kings

Portland Trailblazers
Los Angeles Lakers
Denver Nuggets

Cleveland Cavaliers
I agree with this list, except I would put the Mavs in the tier with Kings and Wolves. I'm still holding out hope that I'm completely underestimating what moves could be left, or the existing team's ceiling.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:31 AM   #18
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

We are getting destroyed on the glass this year. Absolutely demolished, particularly against the ridiculous West.

On the other hand, we have great size and versatility 1-3
Old 07-21-2015, 03:58 PM   #19
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We are getting destroyed on the glass this year. Absolutely demolished, particularly against the ridiculous West.

On the other hand, we have great size and versatility 1-3
That must be why the FO has loaded the team with shooters. Gotta bank on players making shots since rebounds ain't happening.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:24 PM   #20
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
That must be why the FO has loaded the team with shooters. Gotta bank on players making shots since rebounds ain't happening.
But the problem is you have to bank on the opposition missing shots and not getting offensive boards so that strategy really sucks.

I thought Zaza was a good rebounder and lane clogger but just not a good help defender and rim protector?
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:51 PM   #21
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
But the problem is you have to bank on the opposition missing shots and not getting offensive boards so that strategy really sucks.

I thought Zaza was a good rebounder and lane clogger but just not a good help defender and rim protector?
He's a good rebounder, but you're still talking about half the rebounds Tyson grabbed.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:59 PM   #22
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Zaza was 27th among centers; which makes him an oustanding backup but one of the worst starting centers at rebounding. Put him next to Dirk (and Parsons) and you will be getting destroyed on the boards. Even last years team would have been with how good the West got. We are double screwed now. No help defense and no rebounding.

This isn't a one-year plan, though. This team isn't making the playoffs this year but they did a nice job after how screwed they were post-Jordan

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 07-22-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:26 PM   #23
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Tier 1:
San Antonio Spurs
Golden State Warriors

Tier 2:
Oklahoma City Thunder
Houston Rockets
L.A. Clippers
Memphis Grizzlies

Tier 3:
New Orleans Hornets
Phoenix Suns
Dallas Mavericks
Utah Jazz

Minnesota Timberwolves
Sacramento Kings

Portland Trailblazers
Los Angeles Lakers
Denver Nuggets

Cleveland Cavaliers
We are definitely in between "got some kind of chance I suppose" and "out of the playoff race already". Rebounding will be brutal.