Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-18-2011, 02:29 PM   #81
Dim499
Platinum Member

Dim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud of

So Dirk has regressed in rebounding, no question. Should we waive him?
Dim499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #82
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

We should be able to dangle him in front of a team looking for some salary relief and get a decent talent back.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:34 PM   #83
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMOC View Post
If an uncontested rebound opportunity drops between Dirk and someone like Marion, Dirk usually lets his teammate grab it.
Dirk's rebounding, our team ranking

08 - 8.6 9th added Kidd mid year
09- 8.4 5th Brandon Bass' last year
10- 7.7 17th added Marion, Gooden, Butler, Haywood
11 - 6.6 17th added Chandler

This is a concern, especially if we aren't fundamentally sound, ie blocking guys out, keeping them off the offensive boards, preventing multiple point blank taps at the basket. Defense and rebounding are 2 of the most fundamental parts of basketball, and we're faltering in both categories. Multiple close range opportunites at scoring need to be eliminated.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #84
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Dirk's rebounding, our team ranking

08 - 8.6 9th added Kidd mid year
09- 8.4 5th Brandon Bass' last year
10- 7.7 17th added Marion, Gooden, Butler, Haywood
11 - 6.6 17th added Chandler

This is a concern, especially if we aren't fundamentally sound, ie blocking guys out, keeping them off the offensive boards, preventing multiple point blank taps at the basket. Defense and rebounding are 2 of the most fundamental parts of basketball, and we're faltering in both categories. Multiple close range opportunites at scoring need to be eliminated.
I simply think we lack defensive talent even when were playing defense well earlier in the year, I wasn't impressed with Marion's defense (who is suppose to be our lockdown defender)
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #85
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Anyone concerned about our defensive regression (Butler injury hurt, but still)... now ranked 12th in defensive efficiency... offense has picked up though, but I digress..
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #86
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
I wasn't impressed with Marion's defense (who is suppose to be our lockdown defender)
Wow.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:10 PM   #87
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazi View Post
Anyone concerned about our defensive regression (Butler injury hurt, but still)... now ranked 12th in defensive efficiency... offense has picked up though, but I digress..
Just maybe our "great" defense the first 1 1/2month was the result of teams not being in "the flow" of things. Its natural progression for players to shoot better and play more efficiently as the season goes on.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:13 PM   #88
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
“I had that one big rebound, so I feel good about myself,” - Dirk Nowitzki
LOL, Dirk knows what's up - look for a 10-rebound performance against the Jazz...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-18-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #89
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
LOL, Dirk knows what's up - look for a 10-rebound performance against the Jazz...
And that is why I love the Dirkster. He even pokes fun at himself!
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #90
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Mavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
BTW, screw that graphic during the game that listed the "league's top teams'" records against each other and didn't include the Mavs despite including two teams with worse records than the Mavs.
This.

Not to mention we are 1-0 against the Spurs, 2-0 against the Celtics, 2-0 against the Heat, and 1-0 against the Lakers when Dirk and Tyson Chandler play...
Mavericks Rockets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:30 PM   #91
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
This is what I meant about questioning the word inexcusable. Meaning there was no reason, no excuse for him to get 1 rebound...when there very,very well could have been..it's just that no one really took the time (not saying I would either) to look at where those rebounds were.
I just watched the replay of the game from the end of the third quarter starting with our 9-0 run until the end of the fourth. Dirk didn't get any rebounds during that stretch. All the defense ones he could have grabbed were taken by Chandler, Marion or Kidd who were right beside him, none by a Phoenix player. All other balls rebounding from the board went the opposite side of the basket from were Dirk was. One Phoenix player did miss a second free throw, which lead to an offensive rebound by Phoenix, but from the camera angle it wasn't clear whether Dirk had a chance to get it or not. I'd say this particular game was just one were the balls didn't come his way. Of course his declining rebounding numbers are a worthy topic of discussion. Maybe a bit of a bad timing after his stellar shooting performance, though.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:55 PM   #92
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelli View Post
I just watched the replay of the game from the end of the third quarter starting with our 9-0 run until the end of the fourth. Dirk didn't get any rebounds during that stretch. All the defense ones he could have grabbed were taken by Chandler, Marion or Kidd who were right beside him, none by a Phoenix player. All other balls rebounding from the board went the opposite side of the basket from were Dirk was. One Phoenix player did miss a second free throw, which lead to an offensive rebound by Phoenix, but from the camera angle it wasn't clear whether Dirk had a chance to get it or not. I'd say this particular game was just one were the balls didn't come his way. Of course his declining rebounding numbers are a worthy topic of discussion. Maybe a bit of a bad timing after his stellar shooting performance, though.
Are you bringing hard evidence to this argument? You are trying to use what you actually saw in a game to back up your point? Then you end it all by saying something reasonable?

Get that weaksauce outta here.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:26 AM   #93
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Just my observation.

Since when is posting here reserved for toughsauce die-hard fans only?

Old 02-19-2011, 01:46 AM   #94
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Just my observation.

Since when is posting here reserved for toughsauce die-hard fans only?
He was paying you a compliment homeboy
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:05 AM   #95
twelli
Diamond Member

ohhh...

anyway, looking forward to Dirk returning as a rebound machine after the All-Star break

Old 02-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #96
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Good for ya' twelli. If the other team isn't getting an offensive reound, then dirk "may" not be sloughing off down there which is what this criticism implies. He may...and you would expect his rebounding to suffer as he gets older. The thing I kind of resent is the implication that it's because he's a lazy ass out there.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #97
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

From my perspective, it's not that he's being lazy. It's the concern that he feels he has to conserve so much energy in order to be effective offensively that his rebounding game suffers dramatically. And my eyes certainly tell me that it has.

There's been some good counter points in this thread, and I certainly agree that winning in the regular season while Dirk is conserving energy is a good thing. My concern is centered around how much more energy he feels he can give in the non-offensive areas once the playoffs start (and as we move forward into next year and beyond).

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:03 PM   #98
bobbyfg7

bobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to behold

I laughed for 5 minutes at the title if this thread. Kudos UD.
“They gotta come through Texas first. We’ll see what happens. I’m still mad about the ’06 Finals. LeBron just walked into a fire he doesn’t know about.” - JET (said at the beginning of the '10-'11 season)
bobbyfg7 is offline   Reply With Quote