Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-12-2004, 12:07 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vernon Wells to Texas?

Norm's talking about this on the radio right now....mentioned that Wells wants out of Toronto and that Texas is one of the few teams that have enough prospects to make a deal sweet enough to get him out... said that he believes there has already been some discussion...
thought it might take three players..possibly Adrian Gonzalez/s, Laynce Nix, and a pitching prospect... possibly Chris Young.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2004, 12:10 PM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Vernon Wells to Texas?

as our baseball guy what do you think about this rumor murph?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 12:19 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Vernon Wells to Texas?

I hate to give up Nix especially...I can see him possibly being a 35-40 HR guy here at the Ballpark and he is a stud defensively. Plus, you're giving up a starting pitcher and a young top prospect at first base. The first base prospect isn't as huge of a deal because they have another top 1B prospect at Frisco and Tex in the majors. But, with Nix, he hasn't really proven anything on the major league level with the bat except that he can inconsistently hit the long ball....but it also hurts to give up a starting pitcher that could be a number 3,4, or 5 starter in your rotation.

.....Vernon Wells is considered to be one of the top young players in the majors. Although Nix is a stud defensively, Wells is even better and has proven that he can hit at the major league level. Plus, his father is an amazing artist.

what would I do?.....I'm not sure right now. Give me a few minutes to think about it...right now, I'd lead towards making that deal.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:21 PM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Norm is for it, no doubt there.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-12-2004, 12:21 PM   #5
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Norm's talking about this on the radio right now....mentioned that Wells wants out of Toronto and that Texas is one of the few teams that have enough prospects to make a deal sweet enough to get him out... said that he believes there has already been some discussion...
thought it might take three players..possibly Adrian Gonzalez/s, Laynce Nix, and a pitching prospect... possibly Chris Young.

Where do I sign up? Even though I like Gonzalez and Nix as prospects they have not, as of yet, shown enough to validate not giving them up for a young stud like Vernon Wells. Rangers management would be stupid not to take this deal, if this is the deal that's on the table.

mmmmm...Vernon Wells in a Ranger uniform.....sounds REALLY nice to me. Let's hope Norm's rumor has legs to it.
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 01:53 PM   #6
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Stay the course.

If you can give up old then fine, but not young. Especially if you see the future is bright for them.

If Chan Ho can be included, then I am for it. If you are talking Nix, Gonzales, and Chris Young......don't shoot yourself in the foot.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 01:58 PM   #7
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

THis offseason should be very exciting. Pedro, Josh Beckett, Derek Lowe, and Carlos Beltran are all free agents. I would do the deal if you can't get Beltran in here. Beltran, is a superstar and is worth 18 million. The Rangers could move soriano to the outfield move young back to second, and start Ian Kinsler at short.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 02:25 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Beltran will be too expensive. He will not be in a Ranger uniform next year.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:45 PM   #9
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Yeah I wouldn't hedge my bets on that happening. Peter Gammons threw out the Soriano for Jose Reyes rumor. He went on to say that Soriano would move to right and that the mets would then sign Orlando Cabrera. Young was good at short for the Rangers better defensively at second.

I do think the Rangers will be players in the offseason with a 44 million dollar payroll they should be. Needs for a one and possibly a number two along with center and then short stop. I wonder if Jason Wright will be available in the offseason. Barry Zito could be on his way out the door as the A's try to retool their rotation.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:48 PM   #10
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
THis offseason should be very exciting. Pedro, Josh Beckett, Derek Lowe, and Carlos Beltran are all free agents. I would do the deal if you can't get Beltran in here. Beltran, is a superstar and is worth 18 million. The Rangers could move soriano to the outfield move young back to second, and start Ian Kinsler at short.

Not gonna happen buddy...

1st off...I really can't see Beltran getting 18 mil a year, plus there not a snow's chance in hell that the Rangers will pony up huge dollars to anyone, not even Beltran. 2nd...You can kiss Soriano goodbye...he will command too much money in his arbitration case and the Rangers don't want to tie alot of money up for a defensive liability.

I hate to break it to Rangers fans but don't expect anything big going on down at the Ballpark this fall. They will be looking to get bargains.
I think Hicks will be to scared to commit high dollars any more and buck doesn't want anymore high priced veterens running his ship...ie ARod.

Old 10-12-2004, 02:55 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Trading Soriano is 'big' and that is likely to happen.
A trade involving Wells would be 'big', and that is a deal that doesn't involve a high dollar contract by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:36 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Nix and Young will not be packaged for Vernon Wells. I think Norm has been sniffing glue.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 03:40 PM   #13
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Sosa for Chan Ho...........do it, and make him the DH.
Soriano for Vernon Wells........I'd say do.......

Soriano for one of many #1's or #2 pitchers.....I'd say do........

If not, pay him for one year and let him play. The infield did really well this year, and with pitching, and a DH, I think they would have won it all.

Could they upgrade at CF sure. But Nix/Matthews does fine, IMO.

Add a #1 and #2 starting pitcher, and a DH (Palmerio, Sosa) to the team they had this year (move Chan Ho if possible) and go for it all.

With a #1 and #2, Dreese, (one of the young arms), and Rogers as the #5 pitcher; along with the current bullpen....They would be fine.

Mench, Nix, and Tex in the outfield. Young, Jordon, and Matthews as backups.
Gonzalez, Sori, Young, Blaylock in the infield.
Laird, Barajas behind the plate.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 10-12-2004, 05:30 PM   #14
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmations202
Stay the course.

If you can give up old then fine, but not young. Especially if you see the future is bright for them.

If Chan Ho can be included, then I am for it. If you are talking Nix, Gonzales, and Chris Young......don't shoot yourself in the foot.
You've got to be kidding me.

Nix - Inconsistent and potential
Gonzalez- Defense and Average with no power
Young - Inconsistent hit or miss P prospect

for a BONAFIDE YOUNG and CHEAP Average & Power Centerfielder in Wells. I'll take Wells.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:31 PM   #15
Fah Q
Golden Member

Quote:
Sosa for Chan Ho...........do it, and make him the DH.
Soriano for Vernon Wells........I'd say do.......

Soriano for one of many #1's or #2 pitchers.....I'd say do........

If not, pay him for one year and let him play. The infield did really well this year, and with pitching, and a DH, I think they would have won it all.

Could they upgrade at CF sure. But Nix/Matthews does fine, IMO.

Add a #1 and #2 starting pitcher, and a DH (Palmerio, Sosa) to the team they had this year (move Chan Ho if possible) and go for it all.

With a #1 and #2, Dreese, (one of the young arms), and Rogers as the #5 pitcher; along with the current bullpen....They would be fine.

Mench, Nix, and Tex in the outfield. Young, Jordon, and Matthews as backups.
Gonzalez, Sori, Young, Blaylock in the infield.
Laird, Barajas behind the plate.
The cubs won't trade Sosa for CHP by himself, and I've never seen any rumor of us getting Wells for Soriano.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:40 PM   #16
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Fah Q
Quote:
Stay the course.

You've got to be kidding me.

Nix - Inconsistent and potential
Gonzalez- Defense and Average with no power
Young - Inconsistent hit or miss P prospect

for a BONAFIDE YOUNG and CHEAP Average & Power Centerfielder in Wells. I'll take Wells.
I guess I am too old:

Sosa, Fletcher, and Alvarez for Harold Baines..................I just don't trade 3 quality players with potential for one.

Gonzalez may have power, he hit a dozen HR in the minors this year, but I must admit he hasn't shown it in the majors. I need to see another year to judge that though.

Nix needs another year to develop, but has lots of potential and could be as good or better than Wells.

Young, another pitcher who could turn into a #2 starter.

Blaylock was awful two years ago, his partial year, in the majors, but was awesome the first half of this year.

Stay the course, let the talent develop. Don't trade 3 for 1- unless it is a nasty #1 starting pitcher.

Old 10-12-2004, 06:10 PM   #17
Fah Q
Golden Member

[quote]
[quote]
Originally posted by: Fah Q
Quote:
I guess I am too old:

Sosa, Fletcher, and Alvarez for Harold Baines..................I just don't trade 3 quality players with potential for one.
Nix is no Sosa and Wells is almost 10 years younger than Baines was at the time of the trade
Old 10-18-2004, 05:19 PM   #18
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Nix has had a better rookie year than ANY ranger in recent memory, and he was hurt for a BIG stretch of the season. No trades unless it brings us pitching. I dont want vernon wellswith Nix and that really really fast guy we have in AAA....damnit whats his name... I think we should actively pursue another awsome groundball pitcher who could be available like Batista from Toronto.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:20 PM   #19
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Sosa sucked when he was Nix's age imoa
Old 10-18-2004, 07:04 PM   #20
Phil Helmuth

Phil Helmuth is on a distinguished road

I love Wells, but I love Nix as well. Kinser was in single A this year, and not ready for the bigs yet. I think we need to trade Soriano, and pick up 2 middle starters. Drese, Rogers, Rodriguez and 2 others doesnt look too bad. If we have to give Wells for Nix, Gonzalez, and Young I wouldn't do it, we need to see what Nix can do, which I think is quite alot.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:52 PM   #21
Fah Q
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: FineCubanCigar
Sosa sucked when he was Nix's age imoa
This is them both at 23 years old

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG. OBP SPG OPS
Sosa ChC 159 598 92 156 25 5 33 93 38 135 36 11 .261 .309 .485 .794
Nix Tex 115 371 58 92 20 4 14 46 23 113 1 1 .248 .293 .437 .730
Old 10-19-2004, 11:38 AM   #22
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

those stats are wrong. Sammy was born in1968. This makes him 23 in 1991.............

Sammy Sosa at 23 acording to espn.com: Games:159, At Bats:316, Runs:39, Hits:64, Doubles:10 Triples:1, Home Runs:10, RBI:33, SO:98, Batting Average .203.

He even sucked when he was 24. Please dont post incorrect stats. You took his breakout year when he was 25. Also keep in mind Nix missed tons of games due to injury this year. Even so Nix, is way BETTER than Sosa at that age.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:09 PM   #23
sike
The Preacha

I'll take Wells....I've read and heard nothing but great things about him....go for it Texas.

Old 10-19-2004, 01:23 PM   #24
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

Old 10-19-2004, 06:53 PM   #25
Fah Q
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: FineCubanCigar
those stats are wrong. Sammy was born in1968. This makes him 23 in 1991.............

Sammy Sosa at 23 acording to espn.com: Games:159, At Bats:316, Runs:39, Hits:64, Doubles:10 Triples:1, Home Runs:10, RBI:33, SO:98, Batting Average .203.

He even sucked when he was 24. Please dont post incorrect stats. You took his breakout year when he was 25. Also keep in mind Nix missed tons of games due to injury this year. Even so Nix, is way BETTER than Sosa at that age.
I was wrong(sorry about that), but so are you. Born in Nov of 68 which makes him 23 in the 1992 season. Honestly it doesn't make my point any better, though.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:29 AM   #26
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

well damn, neither one of us can get it right, lol
Old 10-22-2004, 03:27 PM   #27
jayC
Diamond Member

Bomber,

The improbable has already happened the Red Sox overcame a 3-0 deficit. The Rangers were picked deadlast in the division and were competitive until the end of the division. And finally did you not see the impact Beltran made on the entire houston season. They were one game away from the series, with a 44 million dollar payroll. It is very probable that the rangers have 20 or so million dollars to improve the club. Besides I said he should be our free agent target not that we would get him or anything.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:46 PM   #28
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
Bomber,

The improbable has already happened the Red Sox overcame a 3-0 deficit. The Rangers were picked deadlast in the division and were competitive until the end of the division. And finally did you not see the impact Beltran made on the entire houston season. They were one game away from the series, with a 44 million dollar payroll. It is very probable that the rangers have 20 or so million dollars to improve the club. Besides I said he should be our free agent target not that we would get him or anything.

don't get me wrong....what I would like for the Rangers FO to do this offseason and what I thnk they will do is two totally different things. I honestly would love for them to go after Beltran and a really good #2 starter next year and then find some fill in for other spots. I plan on posting what I would do if I was the Ranger GM soon!!
Old 10-27-2004, 10:43 PM   #29
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

why in the world would we waste money and talent at CF. Nix has had the best rookie year of any ranger in recent memory, and dont forget he missed some of the season with injuries. His D is outa this world. Pitching, Pitching, Pitching.... not MORE HITTERS 4 THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH........GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RR
Old 10-27-2004, 10:50 PM   #30
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

BTW Wells only had 23 homers last season.... Nix had 14 in 200 LESS at Bats. and Nix is 2 years younger.