Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 02-06-2008, 01:24 AM   #81
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
The rest of the team isn't going to wear weights on their ankles just because Shaq is on the roster.

You are using a straw-man argument against this concept you have of "Nellie Ball."
True, but what made their fastbreak so lethal was Marion at the 4 and Amare at the 5. Their bigs were able to outrun their counterparts down the floor. Now, that really won't be the case.

Don't be so defensive, Chum. Even the Phoenix writer can see that this is an indictment of the style they've been playing in Phoenix.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:27 AM   #82
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic
A 29 year old Shaq and 29 year old Nash, sure. When both are in their mid 30's? Well....
Everybody uses steroids these days. 35 is the new 29.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:27 AM   #83
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If you think that an NBA team--any NBA team--isn't going to figure out how to use Shaquille O'Neal to their benefit...well, then I guess we just aren't on the same page.

If Shaq is not anywhere the guy he used to be, then Phoenix isn't going to benefit. But if he is, they will. That's just pretty simple, the way I see it.
I don't think that at all. Re-read my posts if you like. I said earlier in one of these threads that Phoenix would benefit from a Shaq trade IF they didn't have to give up one of their top 3 players. I don't think the benefit of Shaq outweighs what Marion gave them. Sure, I think they can come up with a system that to an extent makes Shaq work and the team work as best it can. But does that come close to being the system they are running with Marion? I highly doubt it. But this could be a defining moment for your boy, Nash. If he does "make every teammate better" maybe he can find a way to make a traditional system with an aging Shaq as one of the top options work. I'm just not seeing it.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 02-06-2008 at 01:28 AM.
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:29 AM   #84
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Everybody uses steroids these days. 35 is the new 29.
You better send Shaq the address of the nearest Mexican pharmacy because his career has been going nowhere but downhill since he passed the 30 year old mark.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 02-06-2008, 01:29 AM   #85
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
35 is the new 29.
As I approach that age, I can only hope so.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:32 AM   #86
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
True, but what made their fastbreak so lethal was Marion at the 4 and Amare at the 5. Their bigs were able to outrun their counterparts down the floor. Now, that really won't be the case.

Don't be so defensive, Chum. Even the Phoenix writer can see that this is an indictment of the style they've been playing in Phoenix.
Indictment of the style? I'm saying that even the creators of the style would create it differently if they could have a guy like Shaq or Yao on their team. Guys like Nellie and D'Antoni scrap it out as best they can with what they have. But would they want a Shaq? You're damn right they would! Nellie tried to get a dominant center, in Bradley. That was the best that he could do.

What we are going to see now is exactly what this "style" can do if it has an anchor at the five. I see no reason to dismiss their chances out of hand. Think about the basketball that was being played in the late 80's. Would you have taken your chances with a slow and steady Shaq to go against Kareem and Parrish? A guy like Amare who is Tarpley and Worthy and McHale on steroids? A guy like Nash who can do what Magic did? I'm just sayin'...
Old 02-06-2008, 01:33 AM   #87
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Old 02-06-2008, 01:34 AM   #88
FINtastic
Diamond Member

For what it's worth, Yahoo! is reporting it now:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 02-06-2008, 01:39 AM   #89
FINtastic
Diamond Member

After the Lakers trade for Gasol, I have to say this makes me feel a lot happier. One team got better, one got worse.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 02-06-2008, 01:43 AM   #90
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

I'm just surprised PHX isn't throwing in a 1st round pick or two... like they do with all their trades!

Seriously though, I think this deal benefits the Suns more in their matchup against the Spurs... and hurts a bit in their matchup against the Mavs.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:54 AM   #91
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we will now alot sooner than later how the trade works out. Im surprised this all went down so fast. Has this been in the headlines for a while?
Old 02-06-2008, 01:58 AM   #92
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

signing Damp doesnt seem so dumb anymore does it. He's the only guy that can stand up to Shaq 1v1. It looked like we signed Dampier to battle a Lakers team that no longer existed.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:04 AM   #93
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Nash would have been able to guard him much better.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:12 AM   #94
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2M
Seriously though, I think this deal benefits the Suns more in their matchup against the Spurs... and hurts a bit in their matchup against the Mavs.
Agreed.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 02-06-2008 at 02:14 AM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:18 AM   #95
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

02/06/08 - #1 seed: Phoenix Suns

04/03/08 - #6 seed: Phoenix Suns

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:22 AM   #96
chumdawg
Guru

What are we going to do about Shaq if we play PHX in the playoffs? The bad news is that Erick Dampier will actually have to play, if we play Phoenix.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:25 AM   #97
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What are we going to do about Shaq if we play PHX in the playoffs? The bad news is that Erick Dampier will actually have to play, if we play Phoenix.
I don't think that particular matchup will be such a big deal. I don't think Shaq will give Damp/Diop any more problems in the low post than Amare does. Amare tears us up.

The real problem, as KG mentioned, will be that Dirk now has to guard Amare.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:28 AM   #98
chumdawg
Guru

So, Shaq will give us fits, AND Amare will give us fits? That doesn't look too good.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:32 AM   #99
LonghornDub

Quote:
So, Shaq will give us fits, AND Amare will give us fits? That doesn't look too good.
Just Amare. I don't think Shaq will give us fits at all. Damp plays him quite well, generally. Plus, like I said, I'm still thoroughly of the opinion that Shaq is done.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:34 AM   #100
Dortmund

Dortmund will become famous soon enoughDortmund will become famous soon enough

Marion for Shaq?! Way to make a bad trade Suns. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:37 AM   #101
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
Just Amare. I don't think Shaq will give us fits at all. Damp plays him quite well, generally. Plus, like I said, I'm still thoroughly of the opinion that Shaq is done.
Then why in the hell would would the Mavs have been angling for him, as recent reports suggest?

I think it's time to put down the Mavs-colored-glasses. We are talking about Shaquille O'Neal, for goodness' sakes.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:43 AM   #102
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think it's time to put down the Mavs-colored-glasses. We are talking about Shaquille O'Neal, for goodness' sakes.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:44 AM   #103
LonghornDub

Quote:
Then why in the hell would would the Mavs have been angling for him, as recent reports suggest?

Is everything the Mavs front office does correct? You clearly don't think so, having listened to the same 2-3 things you've repeated over and over on this board. Now you're suddenly assuming that they have 100% sound judgment? Which is it?

Just because the Mavs, Suns, or any other team are interested in Shaq doesn't mean he's not done.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 02-06-2008 at 02:45 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:46 AM   #104
FINtastic
Diamond Member

chum, did you watch the finals a couple of years ago? Damp seemed to have no problem neutralizing Shaq. The Mavs certainly didn't lose that series because of Shaq, I can tell you that much. In fact, that series made me realized just how washed up Shaq was. The fact that Shaq could be taken out of a series by Erick Dampier tells you he was just a shell of his former self at that point. And let me tell you, it hasn't gotten any better for Shaq since then.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 02-06-2008, 02:51 AM   #105
Natte

Natte is on a distinguished road

Apparently Dallas wanted Shaq first, and the Suns panicked at the sight of a Shaq/Dirk/Josh frontline. Here's the relevant info from Chris Broussard:

My first thought was, "That's ridiculous! There's no way the Suns would trade for Shaq.''

With all due respect to The Diesel, he's just not what he used to be. And he's not worth $40 million over the next two years.

Then I began calling around and speaking with folks in the know. Here's what I was told:

"It's close to a done deal,'' said someone with knowledge of the Suns' thinking.

"I think it's going to happen,'' said someone else with knowledge of the Suns' thinking.

"Why?'' I cried. "I can't see one benefit to adding Shaq.''

Here's what I was told:

First, the Suns don't think they can win it all as currently constructed. Their lack of big, physical players scares the daylights out of them when they look at a Lakers frontline that features Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom (not to mention Ronny Turiaf).

I was told the Suns got word that Dallas was trying to trade for Shaq (in large part to combat the new-look Lakers' behemoth front line) and that that is what set this Phoenix-Miami deal in motion.

Afraid of what a Dallas team that featured Shaq, Dirk and Josh Howard would look like, the Suns have swept in and attempted to steal Shaq from the Mavericks.

I was also told that the locker room chemistry between Shawn Marion and Amare Stoudemire had gotten too negative to bear. No fighting, no yelling, just a bad vibe.

"But financially, it seems disastrous,'' I said.

In actuality, it's not that bad. Marion was owed more than $17 million next year, and he would have been foolish to opt out of that deal because no one else could have or would have paid him that much. Add in Marcus Banks' $4.1 million, and the Suns are actually saving money by paying Shaq $20 million.

Banks has two more years after next at almost $10 million total, so adding Shaq would cost the Suns about $10 million in the long run. That still doesn't jibe with owner Robert Sarver's cost-cutting mandate, but it's not as bad as I first thought.

Basketball-wise, the Suns believe the positives are this:

1. Shaq will give them the big, physical presence they sorely lack on both ends of the floor.

2. Shaq will enable Amare Stoudemire to play his true and preferred position of power forward, which will make Amare more effective, possibly increasing his scoring and rebounding numbers.

3. Steve Nash will make Shaq a bigger scorer than he currently is in Miami because of his ability to create easy baskets for the big fella. Plus, the Suns' 3-point shooting ability will open things up for Shaq inside.

4. The Suns can still run with Shaq because you don't need all five players sprinting upcourt to run a fastbreak.

The Suns aren't completely sold though.

I'm told that Amare wants the deal to happen and spoke extensively with Shaq on the telephone Tuesday night.

I'm told that Nash has some apprehension, but he's weighing the pros and cons. I'm told Coach Mike D'Antoni has even more apprehension, and that there are questions as to whether he can coach the team in a way that will utilize Shaq's abilities.

I'm told new president Steve Kerr thinks adding Shaq is a great opportunity for the Suns organization.

Personally, I wouldn't make this trade if I were the Suns. While they don't look dominant out West, the truth is that nobody looks dominant out West. They are one of four or five teams with a legitimate chance of winning the conference title.

I would give this core of Stoudemire, Nash and Marion one more shot before blowing it up.

While I understand the notion of Shaq adding a big, physical presence, I don't know that you can count on him to do that at his age (he'll turn 36 on March 6).

First, I think he could get in huge foul trouble because of Nash's inability to contain dribble penetration. And secondly, I don't know that Shaq will even be healthy most of the time.

I do like the idea of Dallas adding Shaq because I don't think they'd rely on him as much. I think he'd be a more effective version of Erick Dampier and DeSagana Diop. But I think the Suns will need more out of him than Dallas would.

I think Grant Hill and Boris Diaw can make up for Marion's offense, but defensively, the Suns will miss The Matrix.

I agree that Shaq's presence will make Stoudemire better, and that he will not stop the Suns from running fast breaks. He'll slow down their halfcourt offense, but with all those shooters around him, he should be more effective.

After speaking with these "folks in the know,'' I can see some pluses to adding Shaq to the Suns.

But I still wouldn't do it.
Natte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:51 AM   #106
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Is everything the Mavs front office does correct? You clearly don't think so, having listened to the same 2-3 things you've repeated over and over on this board. Now you're suddenly assuming that they have 100% sound judgment? Which is it?

Just because the Mavs, Suns, or any other team are interested in Shaq doesn't mean he's not done.
Oh, I think they know--just as well as the rest of us do--what would be good for them. Obviously, they aren't any good at all at actually bringing those things to fruition.

And that's pretty much a fact.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:53 AM   #107
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
chum, did you watch the finals a couple of years ago? Damp seemed to have no problem neutralizing Shaq. The Mavs certainly didn't lose that series because of Shaq, I can tell you that much. In fact, that series made me realized just how washed up Shaq was. The fact that Shaq could be taken out of a series by Erick Dampier tells you he was just a shell of his former self at that point. And let me tell you, it hasn't gotten any better for Shaq since then.
What are you saying, that if the Heat didn't have Shaq in '06 we could have beaten them?
Old 02-06-2008, 02:56 AM   #108
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Shaq's stats from the 2006 NBA Finals:

Game 1 - 17 points, 7 rebounds
Game 2 - 5 points, 6 rebounds
Game 3 - 16 points, 11 rebounds
Game 4 - 17 points, 13 rebounds
Game 5 - 18 points, 12 rebounds
Game 6 - 9 points, 12 rebounds

Keep in mind, he was averaging 20 and 9 that year and had done pretty well in the previous series against a good Pistons post defense. He never reached his season average in scoring once in that series against Dampier. He did some decent work on the boards, but I guess that isn't too hard when your opponent was throwing up as many bricks as the Mavs threw up that series.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 02-06-2008 at 02:58 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:57 AM   #109
pkdumas
Golden Member

pkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to all

The Suns are screwed.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:06 AM   #110
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
I was told the Suns got word that Dallas was trying to trade for Shaq (in large part to combat the new-look Lakers' behemoth front line) and that that is what set this Phoenix-Miami deal in motion.

Afraid of what a Dallas team that featured Shaq, Dirk and Josh Howard would look like, the Suns have swept in and attempted to steal Shaq from the Mavericks.
So there you go chum, it turns out that it was indeed a panic move.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 02-06-2008, 03:06 AM   #111
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Shaq's stats from the 2006 NBA Finals:

Game 1 - 17 points, 7 rebounds
Game 2 - 5 points, 6 rebounds
Game 3 - 16 points, 11 rebounds
Game 4 - 17 points, 13 rebounds
Game 5 - 18 points, 12 rebounds
Game 6 - 9 points, 12 rebounds

Keep in mind, he was averaging 20 and 9 that year and had done pretty well in the previous series against a good Pistons post defense. He never reached his season average in scoring once in that series against Dampier. He did some decent work on the boards, but I guess that isn't too hard when your opponent was throwing up as many bricks as the Mavs threw up that series.
And now the Suns are going to get that production, while moving Amare back to his natural position.

Beastly.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:07 AM   #112
LonghornDub

Quote:
Oh, I think they know--just as well as the rest of us do--what would be good for them. Obviously, they aren't any good at all at actually bringing those things to fruition.

And that's pretty much a fact.
Actually, "fact" is quite an inappropriate word there. Some better options would have been "opinion" or "conjecture."

It's interesting that you pointed out that whoever above was using a "straw-man" argument when all you're doing is engaging in a nice little bit of circular logic. "Phoenix is interested in Shaq because he's good. Shaq is good because Dallas/Phoenix/whoever are interested in him." That's really all you've got on this, and actually I think you did the exact same thing with the Kidd discussion in the other thread.

When arguing that Player X is worth the interest he's getting from teams, you can't use the fact that the teams are interested in him as proof that he's worth it. That assumes the proposition it sets out to prove. The question people want answered is WHY he's worth it.

Where are the facts to back up the assertion that 2008 Shaq is worth a damn? That he's worth more than Shawn Marion, one of the better players in the entire league? The numbers certainly don't lend any credence to that.

Frankly chum, I think all you've got on this particular matter are opinions (justified as you may be in having them) that you stamp as fact. See above.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:07 AM   #113
Underdog

Quote:
I'm told that Nash has some apprehension, but he's weighing the pros and cons. I'm told Coach Mike D'Antoni has even more apprehension, and that there are questions as to whether he can coach the team in a way that will utilize Shaq's abilities.
I wonder who the source was? Common sense?

Old 02-06-2008, 03:10 AM   #114
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
And now the Suns are going to get that production, while moving Amare back to his natural position.

Beastly.
No, considering that Shaq is putting stats that are roughly 70% of what he put up back then, the Suns are going to get only some of that production.

Semi-beastly.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 02-06-2008, 03:10 AM   #115
Underdog

Quote:
Actually, "fact" is quite an inappropriate word there. Some better options would have been "opinion" or "conjecture."

It's interesting that you pointed out that whoever above was using a "straw-man" argument when all you're doing is engaging in a nice little bit of circular logic. "Phoenix is interested in Shaq because he's good. Shaq is good because Dallas/Phoenix/whoever are interested in him." That's really all you've got on this, and actually I think you did the exact same thing with the Kidd discussion in the other thread.

When arguing that Player X is worth the interest he's getting from teams, you can't use the fact that the teams are interested in him as proof that he's worth it. That assumes the proposition it sets out to prove. The question people want answered is WHY he's worth it.

Where are the facts to back up the assertion that 2008 Shaq is worth a damn? That he's worth more than Shawn Marion, one of the better players in the entire league? The numbers certainly don't lend any credence to that.

Frankly chum, I think all you've got on this particular matter are opinions (justified as you may be in having them) that you stamp as fact. See above.

You've got it all wrong P-Dub - Chum doesn't argue FOR anything so much as he argues AGAINST the Mavs... (but he still loves this team, even though he never has anything nice to say about them - and if he does, he certainly doesn't share it with us!)

Old 02-06-2008, 03:11 AM   #116
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
I wonder who the source was? Common sense?
Giggle.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 02-06-2008, 03:12 AM   #117
pkdumas
Golden Member

pkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to all

If the Suns are indeed blowing up the team, maybe they'll send Steve Nash to the Dallas Mavericks. I bet Nash regrets that decision as much as Cuban. Did either of them really need a few extra million? Whatever happened to sticking by your friends. F'in Canadian.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:15 AM   #118
chumdawg
Guru

As for the Mavs, I was referring to the fact that they have very publicly pursued players (Kidd, Mourning, Garnett, even Shaq) yet never landed any of those players. That is the "fact" that I refer to. If you don't you recall the Kidd and Mourning negotiations, or if you disagree that they pursued Garnett and/or Shaq, then I guess we can't have an intelligent discussion on those points.

I'd respond to the rest of your carefully crafted post, except there is not much to respond to. Either you get the fish you are after, or you don't. I'm saying that the Mavs didn't get the fish they were after. It's up to you, I guess, to determine whether those fish were worth going after.

As for your last point...I'm generally of the opinion that a player is worth what another team will pay for him, no more and no less. So, I see Shaq as being worth Shawn Marion and Markus Banks, no more and no less. Where we differ is on the notion of how that will benefit the respective teams.

And I'm just saying that I have seen Shaq, I have seen my teams go against Shaq, and I know what that guy can do. Probably the last inclination I would ever have would be to laugh at a guy like Shaquille O'Neal.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:17 AM   #119
Underdog

Quote:
Probably the last inclination I would ever have would be to laugh at a guy like Shaquille O'Neal.
I know I already mentioned this, but:

Old 02-06-2008, 03:17 AM   #120
Natte

Natte is on a distinguished road

The Suns were competing with a Dallas bid that included Josh Howard to acquire O'Neal.

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns...haqonline.html
Natte is offline   Reply With Quote