Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-16-2001, 02:35 PM   #1
Najera1441

Najera1441 is on a distinguished road

I really, really hope the Mavs move up more in the division or the Lakers move up, because if we play the Lakers in the first round, that would not be good [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] It would be a very bad match up since no one really matches up good against Saqueer Oatmeal. hopefully we move up more, and draw portland or something, well I'm hoping for the best, I sound very negative.
Old 03-16-2001, 04:10 PM   #2
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

I'm just happy to get in the 8!! But yeah I would rather not play the Lakers in the first round. Here's hoping the Blazers overtake us, or we get into 3rd!
Old 03-18-2001, 07:43 PM   #3
Proximo_X

Proximo_X is on a distinguished road

Are you kidding? You can't hide from the good teams in the playoffs, you will meet them regardless? So you are saying we need to avoid the Lakers in the first round and hope like hell they get eliminated? You have to have more faith than that I'm afraid. All the teams will be tough and there is no easy-beat team. If the Mav's are going to progress any further than the first round, they are going to have to go through quality opposition, that is reality.

Old 03-19-2001, 01:31 AM   #4
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

I would rather meet the Lakers in the 2nd round or conference finals? Also, if we don't play them 1st round they could get knocked out by another team.
Old 03-19-2001, 10:50 AM   #5
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

I would rather meet them in the first round...it is only a best of 5 series in rd 1, and I think we have a better chance winning 3 of 5 than 4 of 7 against them this year. Hell, I really don't care who the Mavs play, I think we are going to shock the world!!
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 11:26 AM   #6
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Good point about the 5-game series. Personally I'm not worried about who the Mavs meet in the first round. There aren't any safe bets in the WC. A lot of people want the Jazz for some reason..probably the most dangerous team in the West, who are arguably at their best during the post-season (and have also been kicking some major ass in the regular season). I say just sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride cuz you KNOW the Mavs will be competitive with anyone they meet.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 12:14 PM   #7
LAM0015
Banned

LAM0015 is on a distinguished road

i have to completely disagree..Utah is a team that has two no doubters when it comes to getting into the hall of fame. I don't think they are at their best in the playoffs at all. they have no rings, how can they be at their best when the playoffs roll around?
if the mavs have any type of matchup problem, it's going to be with a team that has a dominating center, the lakers or the spurs. portland might be a good team to play because they are likely to shoot each other in the locker room at any time.
LAM0015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 12:53 PM   #8
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm ok maybe that came out wrong. I don't think the Jazz are unbeatable come playoff time, but their veterans have a habit of coming through during crunchtime. I just keep thinking back to Malone and Stockton's clutch plays a couple years ago when they faced the Kings, an inexperienced (at the time), yet rising, young team much like the current Mavs. Plus I do believe Utah has a better lineup this year then in years past. Anyway I'm just trying to point out the fact that there are no easy matchups in the WC, so it's pointless to wish for a first round matchup against so-and-so. Teams like the Jazz and Blazers are just as dangerous as those with dominant centers/frontcourts imo. I'm about as scared of the Lakers as I am of the Jazz. But like I said, the Mavs play competitive ball with anyone and everyone out there, so I'm really not worried.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 01:09 PM   #9

if the mavs shoot the ball well, they'll probably win against any team, except maybe the lakers. with the lakers, the mavs need to pick up their rebounding (which i'm sure will happen with the addition of jhoward). in the last 3 games with the lakers, they've outrebounded the mavs by 66, i believe. that is unbelievable.
this is a good jazz team, but neither malone nor stockton are anywhere near their peak. both are still playing very solid ball, but they're getting old....i don't think the mavs will collapse in the playoffs because of inexperience. look at the players on the team, they definitely have their heads on straight. the only reason they would lose a series would probably be because they're playing a better team. it won't be because of inexperience.
and remember, dirk is tall for his age