Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-16-2001, 12:54 AM   #1
IZZO

IZZO is on a distinguished road

realistically, who do you want the mavs to pick up in the off season? or, do you feel as if no changes are needed, just an off season of growth
Old 03-16-2001, 01:04 AM   #2
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs need to focus on re-signing their starters (FINLEY!), upgrading their bench, and developing their young guys (Harvey, Zhi Zhi, Booth). I think the most pressing needs are acquiring another guard to handle the point, and solidifying the 5. Bradley is starting to play like a stud now that Howard's in the mix, but he obviously needs some relief. Hopefully we'll know by then whether or not Booth is the answer. If not, the Mavs need to go after a Davis (take your pick [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]) or maybe even Laettner if no one else is willing to play for the exception. Surprisingly, Eisley hasn't been very effective when playing the point this year, so signing another pg is necessary. He seems to fit in better as sg off the bench. Celestand has been mentioned by many here, but I'd much rather have a more experienced and proven pg. Don't get me wrong though, cuz I'd love to have him on the bench! Based on the Mavs' needs, bringing Strick back to BigD might not be the answer. Nevertheless, BRING STRICK BACK [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 01:04 AM   #3
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Antonio or Dale Davis... (probably Antonio)
Old 03-16-2001, 01:08 AM   #4
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Look out for draft deals to... The Nelsons have been big on the other half of the "great wall" Yao Ming for years (Donnie has worked with him in China for the last three years), so don't be surprised if the Mavs trade into the first round of the draft if the big mans' draft stock continues to fall (because of concerns about whether he will be able to play here). Also, it would not surprise me if we trade to pick up Desegana Diop in the draft... He is a guy who we have been very interested in... I have an autograph of his on a Mavericks' courtside menu that attests to that...
Old 03-16-2001, 01:14 AM   #5
IZZO

I agree with strick, but i don't think there will be any room for either of the Davis's....the mavs are deep at forward and center. they don't have enough time right now as it is to get harvey any playing time..not to mention najera or trent. i know that they aren't in dale davis' class, but you have to develop your young talent (harvey)...najera can always give you some minutes, but i don't think he has that much of a future here besides as a guy that's deep on the bench. I think the mavs main concern would be to add a guard...preferably a point guard in the draft or even bringing back strickland. Yes, eisley has done a pretty decent job this year but he's more comfortable at the 2 guard spot. the mavs need an additional guard because if MF or nash went down, the mavs would be in a bit of trouble. More so with nash, because he's the only one that can play the point guard spot well enough on this team. if finley went out, it would suck, but probably not as much as it did when nash went out.

so, develop harvey and zhi zhi..don't worry about another big man, especially someone like davis that's going to command considerable amount of playing time because the mavs don't have that playing time to give to a power forward-center. Yes, i know that bradley doesn't log that many minutes at center but the mavs are going to look to give dirk more and more minutes at the center position next year i'm sure. let's not forget about boothe, he's a good young player that will help this team out also.

so, let's look for a guard before we start thinking about another forward...we're already deep there
Old 03-16-2001, 01:16 AM   #6
IZZO

if the mavs do go after one of those two that you mention evilmav, look for the mavs to make a deal to move some bodies off of the current roster to free up some minutes...maybe not a core guy...but, possibly. that's why i don't think the mavs will deal for either diop or the 7'6 china boy
Old 03-16-2001, 01:18 AM   #7
IZZO

dang, backslash, you stole almost all of my points while i was writing my post...don't do that crap
Old 03-16-2001, 01:25 AM   #8
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

If Booth pans out, then finding a center won't be as crucial. But I still think it's important to bring in another C/PF banger, someone who can play BOTH positions. Najera is a sf so he's a non-issue. Harvey is still a year away from getting any significant mins (think Bruno Sundov). Same goes for Zhi Zhi imo (who is actually more suited to the sf spot right now). Both players will get ample time to develop their skills under the Mavs' stable of coaches and during summer league play, but don't count on either of them getting much pt during the regular season. Finally, I think it's safe to say the Mavs will likely trade Trent via sign-and-trade. When all is said and done, our frontcourt really isn't that deep. A lot depends on Booth imo.
Old 03-16-2001, 01:27 AM   #9
djb
Administrator

Heheh sorry Izzo [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Oh and darnit, it's backlash (not backslash..like the computer key!).
Old 03-16-2001, 08:45 AM   #10
IZZO

there simply won't be enough minutes to go around in the frontcourt to justify bringing in Dale Davis. I know Harvey is a work in progress...najera, he'll play power forward on some of nellie's tricked up lineups when he's in the game. but it's not like he's going to get significant playing time anyways.
my point is...is that in between bradley, dirk (when he plays power forward or center) and howard, there's not enough extra minutes to justify bringing in someone else. Zhi-Zhi is going to have to play something other than small forward. He may play there some, but he's also going to be a work in progress at the power forward spot.
will davis want to come in to dallas for 10-15 minutes a game? if he does, well, pick him up then. he might not even get 10-15 minutes though
Old 03-16-2001, 08:54 AM   #11
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Everybody knows I want Shareef in Dallas but with Howard here now, that's not going to happen. So I'd like to see Strick return. Trade Trent and try to get another big man to back up Howard, Bradley, and Booth.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 09:12 AM   #12
LAM0015
Banned

LAM0015 is on a distinguished road

look for the mavs to unload at least 2 spair parts on the end of the bench. i'm sure bryant and trent will be two that aren't back next year. najera might not be back, but he's probably a valuable 11-12 man.
maxwell won't be back in all likeliness. a guy like strick who can handle the ball and play 2-g would be a very valuable guy. i would love to see laettner back, but he'd only be getting around 10 minutes a game if he came back. but, i'm sure he'd love to come back here...a place where he was less heavily scrutinized.
LAM0015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 01:58 PM   #13
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

MARK WEST!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2001, 02:20 PM   #14
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Jeff Foster would be a very nice cheap aquisition... He is a young, athletic leaper who plays excellent pivot defense is a dominant rebounder and can hit the jumpshot... He is not going to necessarily fit in the longterm plans of a Pacer team that boasts young guys like O'Neal, Bender, and Harrington, so I actually think we could pick him up relatively cheaply... His lifelong idol has been Bill Lambier, and it shows in his play. He is going to be a very good player for someone in the very near future...
Old 03-16-2001, 02:25 PM   #15
djb
Administrator

Ugh I thought you were talking about Greg Foster for a min there! I was about to chew you out [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2001, 02:48 PM   #16
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

if your idol is bill laimbeer, that's just disturbing
Old 03-16-2001, 02:51 PM   #17
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Bill Lambier was a great man... He plays like I do (albiet at a much higher level than YMCA/HPER rec ball)...
Old 03-16-2001, 04:17 PM   #18
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

That whiney face was real annoying.
Old 03-16-2001, 04:19 PM   #19
scooterj5
Golden Member

Hales, why would you want to MArk West when you could bring back Thur Bailey, uh again.
Old 03-16-2001, 04:49 PM   #20
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

How about Mark Eaton? I think he and Bradley could play very well together...
Old 03-17-2001, 11:12 PM   #21
IZZO

eaton?..why not just sign maute bol?
Old 03-18-2001, 01:11 AM   #22
scooterj5
Golden Member

Because we heard Charles Smith is avaliable. We're spending all our time trying to get him on board.
Old 03-18-2001, 06:37 AM   #23
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

I heard that Eric Riley is available right now... Loren Meyer is too...
Old 03-19-2001, 01:26 AM   #24
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

ERIC MONTROSS!!!!!
Old 03-19-2001, 04:14 PM   #25
IZZO

i think the mavs should sign hank dudek
Old 03-20-2001, 08:38 AM   #26

who is that?