Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-20-2001, 08:10 AM   #41
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Mav # 1 You are on top of your game for sure..... I'm laughing my ass off over here. Point out ONE OTHER THING!!! THE MAN HAS NOT MISSED A GAME SINCE HE'S BEEN IN THE LEAGUE!!!! These other guards don't go in night in and night out and deal with all the bangs, tiredness. Not to mention he's been in the top 3 in minutes played the last three years. Do I think ANY other two guard would be able to be as consistent without fatigue setting in all year long?????? NO!!!! Keep up the good work Mav.
Old 03-20-2001, 08:15 AM   #42
TheKid
Diamond Member

Oh one more thing. Did anyone see ESPN lastnight?? Well after the Laker game, after Terry LIT Kobe up for 36 points, they showed who had the top performances against the Lakers this year. Well these are all people who Kobe guarded.

Marbury 44 points
Iverson 37 points
Terry 30 points
Stackhouse 33 points

All of them average over 30 points. NOW, when I said earlier about Finley's defense it has a lot more to do with the system, I'll say it again. Kobe is first team all defensive team, now according to LAM (the great statistician he is) this proves that Kobe is no more than an average three. Once again, these averages (statistically speaking) show Wesley Person is a better defensive two guard than Kobe and Finley. NONE of these players have averaged more than 30 points against Person this year. So be more realistic please. I like stats as much as anyone else, but it doesn't give you the full picture always. As Mav has shown you all for every argument you have, someone can find stats to back up the other side.
Old 03-20-2001, 07:07 PM   #43
Mavs#1Fan

Mavs#1Fan will become famous soon enoughMavs#1Fan will become famous soon enough

Well I've done a little more stat work on Finley. It's amazing what you can accomplish with a spreadsheet, a dsl, and a slow day at work.

I took all the final game stats for the opposing team's starters at shooting guard and small forward (Finley is a swingman after all). If I could not determine who the starters were from ESPN's player list, I took the forward or guard who had the best game (most players did have a defined position).

For the first 30 games of the season, the other teams starters were:
Shooting Guard 46.8 PCT, 1.0 STL, 4.5 RPG, 2.7 AST, 15.0 PPG
Small Forward 46.7 PCT. 1.1 STL, 6.0 RPG, 2.4 AST, 13.6 PPG

Finley's line for the year:
45.9 PCT, 1.5 STL, 5.1 RPG, 4.5 AST, 21.0 PPG

I'll give up under 1% on shooting percentages for those other numbers.

But I have to downgrade Finley to the 4th best shooting guard. Iverson is listed as a shooting guard now. I always thought of him as a point guard.

Mavs#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 08:29 AM   #44
TheKid
Diamond Member

Mav it's funny how Lam, just left this thread alone after you started pointing out those comparisons.