Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 09-13-2006, 11:01 AM   #1
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default "The Last Kiss" with Zach Braff

Anyone planning on seeing this movie? from everything i've seen, it has a "garden state" feel, which i absolutely loved.

it's written by Paul Haggis, the guy who wrote and directed "Crash". Well, he adapted the screenplay from the foreign film "L'ultimo bacio".

anyway, i'm really looking forward to it. i think braff is great, and i actually like casey affleck.

braff was put in charge of the soundtrack, due largely to the success of his "Garden State" soundtrack, which again, i loved. so i'll be picking that up as well.

so, anyone else planning on catching this this weekend?
Old 09-13-2006, 12:10 PM   #2
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

"Garden State" gets worse every time I watch it. The soundtrack is about the only thing going for it so far.

This looks like Garden State 2, and it's written by Haggis, who is a hack.

So, probably not.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 12:55 PM   #3
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

to each their own, i guess. i loved Garden State. just out of curiosity, what don't you like about it?

i never saw Crash, so can't speak to haggis' writing ability, i included that because a lot of people liked crash. But at the very least, he didn't come up with the idea for the movie itself, he adapted the screenplay.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Garden State is greatness.

I understand that Braff plays a real dick in this movie, that "does things you dont want him to, but he's still likeable" or some such non sense.

Ill see it. The fiancé and I are big Scrubs disciples so.....
Old 09-13-2006, 01:45 PM   #5
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine I'll see it. I'm somehow never seen Garden State, but my wife is a big Scrubs fan as well.

Crash was a great movie, btw.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:48 PM   #6
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

yeah, i need to see Crash, just haven't gotten around to it.

and i forgot to mention in the first post, I also love scrubs. It's my favorite comedy on tv right now (now that AD is off the air - they were tied). The Office is a close second.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:11 PM   #7
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I really enjoyed Scrubs the first couple seasons, and then I just kind of stopped watching it. I only have so much time for regular tv shows, and The Office and Earl are curerntly the only comedies I have time for.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 02:45 PM   #8
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
to each their own, i guess. i loved Garden State. just out of curiosity, what don't you like about it?

i never saw Crash, so can't speak to haggis' writing ability, i included that because a lot of people liked crash. But at the very least, he didn't come up with the idea for the movie itself, he adapted the screenplay.
Braff's acting is rather poor, and the complete embrace of the film by everyone under 30 (maybe 25) as a film that "speaks to them" disgusted me. It's a decent film, but I don't find it to be great.

Soundtrack is great, Natalie Portman is cute as all hell, but the movie just gets more "meh" every time I see it.

(Full disclosure: I own "Garden State" (bought myself) and "Crash" (gift).

Old 09-13-2006, 02:47 PM   #9
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

hey, i'm 28... but i wouldn't say the movie "speaks to me". I just like it a lot.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:26 PM   #10
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterChaffy
... but the movie just gets more "meh" every time I see it.
Isn't that pretty much the way it is for all films, except the really great ones?

The only films I can't say that for are The Godfather I and II. Pretty much any other film diminishes with every viewing.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:52 PM   #11
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

I can still appreciate many films upon repeat viewings. Even if the initial feeling isn't there (emotional resonance, as I've used it before), there are still formal elements of film making that are interesting. Plus, other films don't exactly make me think less of them the more I watch them, I just might be less interested. I notice things I dislike every new time I watch Garden State.

On the other hand, I still find new things to appreciate about Citizen Kane, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, etc.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:02 AM   #12
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Garden State certainly was overrated by critics....but it was a solid first swing by Braff in the big leagues.

I'll see this new flick at the $1 show.

did think Sarsgaard was pretty good in GS though.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 09-14-2006 at 12:03 AM.
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:09 AM   #13
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavKikiNYC
Isn't that pretty much the way it is for all films, except the really great ones?

The only films I can't say that for are The Godfather I and II. Pretty much any other film diminishes with every viewing.
Boondock saints/Fight Club are overrated, but I can watch them 100 times without them "diminishing".
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:34 AM   #14
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterChaffy
I can still appreciate many films upon repeat viewings. Even if the initial feeling isn't there (emotional resonance, as I've used it before), there are still formal elements of film making that are interesting. Plus, other films don't exactly make me think less of them the more I watch them, I just might be less interested. I notice things I dislike every new time I watch Garden State.

On the other hand, I still find new things to appreciate about Citizen Kane, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, etc.
I've got the Garden State disc, and one day soon I am hoping to find the time to watch it. But Chaff, if you hold every film up to Kane, and the Good, Bad, etc..., you are going to be disappointed way more often than not, aren't you? I mean, there can only be so many classics, else they wouldn't be classics.

Can you conceive of another category: not classic, but respectable?

I have not seen "Garden State," so I cannot speak. I do, however, dig the shit out of Natalie Portman. It's pretty much the only reason I own the disc.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:36 AM   #15
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

BBL- get off your butt and go rent Crash. You will be glad yo udid. Great movie.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:36 AM   #16
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I like Crash too.... it speaks to me.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:14 AM   #17
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Yeah, I like Crash too.... it speaks to me.
it tells him what a horrible racist he is!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:30 PM   #18
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I've got the Garden State disc, and one day soon I am hoping to find the time to watch it. But Chaff, if you hold every film up to Kane, and the Good, Bad, etc..., you are going to be disappointed way more often than not, aren't you? I mean, there can only be so many classics, else they wouldn't be classics.

Can you conceive of another category: not classic, but respectable?

I have not seen "Garden State," so I cannot speak. I do, however, dig the shit out of Natalie Portman. It's pretty much the only reason I own the disc.

My use of Kane and TGTBTU was simply as a response to the diminishing returns idea. There are other films as well that don't diminish, but that I also don't find new things to appreciate. There are plenty of post 2000 films that I love, and are still good upon repeat viewings. (Royal Tenenbaums, Life Aquatic, Waking Life, City of God, the Kill Bills, Lost in Translation, etc.)

Old 09-14-2006, 03:18 PM   #19
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i'll be seeing it soon, not sure what it is about but i know the girlfriend wants to see it real bad.....
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:17 PM   #20
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

the only reason i would watch this movie is for her...

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84

Last edited by alby; 09-14-2006 at 08:51 PM.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:17 PM   #21
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

She has two nice red "x's" alby.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:51 PM   #22
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

fixed =]

Contact Me
Old 09-15-2006, 04:27 PM   #23
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
I really enjoyed Scrubs the first couple seasons, and then I just kind of stopped watching it. I only have so much time for regular tv shows, and The Office and Earl are curerntly the only comedies I have time for.
I dont know if you've bought season 2 of the Office on DVD yet, but I highly recommend it.

There are about 2 HOURS worth of deleted scenes in all. Some of them are pretty much greatness. (and some you can tell why they were deleted)

Last edited by Flacolaco; 09-15-2006 at 04:28 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 05:25 PM   #24
Lonely PSU Mavs Fan

Lonely PSU Mavs Fan is on a distinguished road

Saw "the last kiss" last night. It was OK. I thoughtthe beginning was good, and they did a good job of picking up on quirky parts of realtionships. But the movie got pretty predictable towards the end. Overall i like Garden State A LOT better. There was nothing really memorable or funny about this movie, just kind of...eh.

Last edited by Lonely PSU Mavs Fan; 09-16-2006 at 05:26 PM.
Lonely PSU Mavs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 05:52 PM   #25
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
the only reason i would watch this movie is for her...

My dirty little secret is... I enjoy watching the OC. (before they killed off misha barton)
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:26 AM   #26
alby
Guru

i hated marissa cooper =]

Contact Me