Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-18-2005, 04:36 PM   #1
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default "SIN CITY" an awesome movie trailer

check this out..............

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2005, 05:22 PM   #2
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: "SIN CITY" an awesome movie trailer

dude, no kidding. i saw this, and my jaw about hit the floor. and i haven't even read the graphic novels. apparently, they are being re-released starting this month. i'll pick them up.

This film is based on the stories "That Yellow Bastard", "The Big Fat Kill", "Sin City" (first story - has since been renamed "The Hard Goodbye"), and "A Dame to Kill for"
Old 03-11-2005, 11:41 AM   #3
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:"SIN CITY" an awesome movie trailer

bumping this up because of the new trailer... I think I'm anticipating this more that any other movie this year. i'll be seeing this, HitchHiker's Guide, Star Wars...

Anyway, new trailer:

New Trailer

Or, Right-click, Save As on the following Link

Direct Download

So I finally read the first book (The Hard Goodbye) a few weeks ago. great read, and great art. I ordered a few more from Amazon (cheapest price). Anyway, watching these previews now, the shots are literally ripped out of the comic. amazing.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:56 AM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

it rules.....I love sin......city

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:24 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

That is a good looking trailer. I'm adding it to the must see list.

Plus...Jessica Alba is a stripper? I mean...come on. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:35 PM   #6
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

ha ha yeah, doc. and in the graphic novels, her character is topless almost all the time... but unfortunately, we'll get none of that from alba. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

also, the music from these trailers is just awesome. I think the Band is called Servant, and the song is Cells, or vice versa.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:24 PM   #7
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Nice trailer. Robert Rodriguez as director and Tarantino as special guest director? Wow. Looks like a pretty good cast also.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 04:00 PM   #8
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

yeah, apparently, tarantino directs one scene... for a cost of $1. rodrguez did some of the score for tarantino's Kill Bill 2, also for $1.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:24 PM   #9
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

reminder (as if you couldn't tell from all the previews out... i guess they're trying to make sure non-comic fans know about this) that this comes out today! i'll probably see it tomorrow.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:40 PM   #10
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Just got back from it. F'n amazing.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 04:46 PM   #11
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Interesting movie. Amidst all of the expected brutality there was a large ammount of philosophy. Not quite as deep as Collateral, but definitely a thinker.

My opinion of the movie is this: I both love it and hate it. It is pure genius and pure sickness at the same time.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:14 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Collateral was deep?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 03:19 AM   #13
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

you didn't think so? I haven't watched it in a while so I can't remember exactly what was said, but yes it was very much deep. Rewatch it if you get a chance im sure you will see what I mean. I'll post something about it tomorrow after I watch it again. right now its time for bed bed.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:14 AM   #14
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

i have a few minor gripes with some of the movie (the ending in particular), but overall i LOVED it. very true to the source material, and good acting (a little overacting by brittany murphy, but she wasn't in it that long).
Old 04-03-2005, 05:56 PM   #15
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

You aren't the only one. It made #1 this week at the box office and put up 28 million. Excellent numbers for a R rated movie.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 09:42 PM   #16
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

exactly, and an R rated comic book movie, to boot. and a comic that the majority of the population has never even heard of (unlike something like Spider-man, for example).
Old 07-27-2005, 01:07 AM   #17
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Bump........

I just saw it tonight.

Really, really good movie. I loved every bit of it. Had a few problems with it though.

First off, Mickey Rourke and Bruce Willis' characters kind of confused me, particularly Rourke's character. Were they suppose to be a mix of mortal and immortal? B/c at the end, he ultimately dies. But before that, he gets shot many times, scratched up, ran over a couple times, and just goes on like it doesn't even phase him. And Willis' character. He got shot numerous times and keeps taking it.

And in some scenes, i think they took a little too long to get to the point.

Lastly, i agree with BBL that Murphy's overacting made her character seem kinda weird.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 06:13 PM   #18
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

marv is just one hell of a tough dude. with hartigan, he was really close to death, but doctors pulled him through. that's touched on briefly in the movie.

also, through their stories, those guys are constantly running on adrenaline.

and oh yeah, it's a comic book. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2005, 06:49 PM   #19
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

I saw this recently too. I thought it was really great. Surprisingly humorous. Visually brilliant. To be cliche, they really did a great job bringing the comic to life. And the ambiguousness of the characters' morals were just very interesting...for a cast that big, they did a good job creating a number of solid, complex characters. Just a really enjoyable movie, I thought.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:52 AM   #20
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

Quote:
[i]Surprisingly humorous.[i]
i caught myself laughing out loud a couple of times. when marv says something like "he'll talk, they always do.", then they cut to the scene where he's driving down the road with the drivers door open and he's holding the guys face down to the pavement, i cracked up. my wife cringed. i guess its all in how you look at it.

i liked the way they tied the stories back together at the end. a very interesting movie. glad i didn't relent to my 13 year old's pressure to let him watch it with us. he wouldn't have slept for a year.

on a side note: as a parent, it sucks to have a kid whose friends' parents let them do anything they want. my oldest son (13) has buddies his own age who play grand theft auto and go with their parents to the theatre to see movies like "sin city". i'm no prude, but jeez.... sure makes my job harder than it should be. oh well, just ranting.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:57 AM   #21
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

If i were a parent, i'd let my teenager see it, but i definitely understand parents who wouldn't. I'd let them see it b/c none of the violence is realistic. And there's not too much language or nudity. But what do i know, I'm only 20 myself.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 11:45 AM   #22
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't let my boys watch it, but I rewound Jessica dancing a couple of times.

drool......
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote