Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-12-2021, 05:46 PM   #441
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of WCS and Boban - KP is probably under severe minutes restriction

Johnson will have a lot of playing time too
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2021, 05:52 PM   #442
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
Lots of WCS and Boban - KP is probably under severe minutes restriction

Johnson will have a lot of playing time too
i'd imagine WCS and KP will start together and that Boban will play with Johnson off the bench together up front.

Maybe this will allow Rick to see how WCS and KP work with each other moving forward since we very rarely got to see that pairing last year.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:12 PM   #443
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
But every dollar over the luxury tax is a dollar coming straight out of their pockets. I think the Buss family will balk at some point
Not during Lebrons final years...
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 12:47 PM   #444
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

FML

Last edited by spreedom; 02-02-2021 at 12:48 PM.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:57 PM   #445
VA-Mavs-Fan

VA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the rough

Hinton, Bey sent to G league
https://thesmokingcuban.com/2021/02/...nton-g-league/

Ty Terry should go as well, but he is not on a 2-way

Green should go too, if they have no intention of playing him , but he is not on a 2-way. Unfortunately, hell will have to freeze before RC plays Green any more.

Can a team send any player to the G League to play (even if not on a 2-way), like knicks sent DSJ?

Last edited by VA-Mavs-Fan; 02-03-2021 at 01:02 PM.
VA-Mavs-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 01:39 PM   #446
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-Mavs-Fan View Post
Hinton, Bey sent to G league
https://thesmokingcuban.com/2021/02/...nton-g-league/

Ty Terry should go as well, but he is not on a 2-way

Green should go too, if they have no intention of playing him , but he is not on a 2-way. Unfortunately, hell will have to freeze before RC plays Green any more.

Can a team send any player to the G League to play (even if not on a 2-way), like knicks sent DSJ?
Both. NBA teams can send two-way players and players with full NBA contracts to the G-League. In normal seasons, two-way guys are limited to how many days they can spend with their NBA team, but this year there is no limit to time with either team.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:50 PM   #447
VA-Mavs-Fan

VA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Both. NBA teams can send two-way players and players with full NBA contracts to the G-League. In normal seasons, two-way guys are limited to how many days they can spend with their NBA team, but this year there is no limit to time with either team.
OK great - they should send all 4 to G League. including Green and Terry. At least Terry, who clearly won't play a minute under RC
VA-Mavs-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:34 PM   #448
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Agree. Green needs to play as much as possible. Send them all to G League, so they can play. Mavs can continue rolling with the defensive stalwarts that are Burke, Brunson, and THJ. :-O
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:45 PM   #449
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

3 days to trade deadline
Old 02-03-2021, 08:45 PM   #450
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

So when is Jason Kidd replacing Carlisle as our head coach? Cause I'm looking forward to that.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:08 PM   #451
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
So when is Jason Kidd replacing Carlisle as our head coach? Cause I'm looking forward to that.
IT won't be anytime soon

But that's a great choice if RC ever decides he's burnt out.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:17 PM   #452
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah Jason Kidd, its a great great choice.

Watch some old Milwaukee Bucks games and how great Jason Kidd were there. That was piss poor coaching with piss poor offense

Last edited by sefant77; 02-03-2021 at 10:18 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:12 PM   #453
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Yeah Jason Kidd, its a great great choice.

Watch some old Milwaukee Bucks games and how great Jason Kidd were there. That was piss poor coaching with piss poor offense
Yeah, no thanks on Kidd.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:42 PM   #454
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
3 days to trade deadline
Nope. March 25th

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:55 PM   #455
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting bit in an article from the Ringer. https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/2...-antonio-spurs

"But the Mavs should be aggressive in finding someone even better. The problem is Dallas can’t trade a first-round pick until 2027 unless the top-10 protections are removed from the 2023 first being sent to New York. If that happens, then NBA rules would allow Dallas to trade firsts in 2025 and 2027, plus pick swaps in 2022, 2024, and 2026. With the ability to trade their picks and a number of talented young players on the roster, the Mavericks could put together a strong trade package for any star who might become available, such as Wizards guard Bradley Beal."

I didn't realize that's how the rules about trading picks worked. I thought we were just screwed until like 2027. Maybe we still are? I'm confused about this. He says "if top 10 protections are removed." Meaning, the Mavs can chose to this, and this would allow the Mavs to trade first rounders again? If that's true, than the Mavs could still conceivably put together a decent trade package for an impact player. He mentions Beal, but I'm not thinking of him necessarily, I just mean anyone.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 02-04-2021 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:30 PM   #456
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Very interesting bit in an article from the Ringer. [url[https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/2/1/22260012/dallas-mavericks-houston-rockets-san-antonio-spurs[/url]

"But the Mavs should be aggressive in finding someone even better. The problem is Dallas can’t trade a first-round pick until 2027 unless the top-10 protections are removed from the 2023 first being sent to New York. If that happens, then NBA rules would allow Dallas to trade firsts in 2025 and 2027, plus pick swaps in 2022, 2024, and 2026. With the ability to trade their picks and a number of talented young players on the roster, the Mavericks could put together a strong trade package for any star who might become available, such as Wizards guard Bradley Beal."

I didn't realize that's how the rules about trading picks worked. I thought we were just screwed until like 2027. Maybe we still are? I'm confused about this. He says "if top 10 protections are removed." Meaning, the Mavs can chose to this, and this would allow the Mavs to trade first rounders again? If that's true, than the Mavs could still conceivably put together a decent trade package for an impact player. He mentions Beal, but I'm not thinking of him necessarily, I just mean anyone.
Yes it can be done. The Bucks and Cavs removed protections on a pick for the Holiday trade and the CAVS actually received a second round pick. So we’d be looking at something similar presumably.

As I’ve said before, the key for any Beal deal to Dallas is they a)promised to re-route him to a preferred destination when he surprisingly signed the extension and b) Dallas is his preferred destination. He would have to really want to be here. Otherwise I think other contending teams could beat our offer.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 03:56 PM   #457
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Yes it can be done. The Bucks and Cavs removed protections on a pick for the Holiday trade and the CAVS actually received a second round pick. So we’d be looking at something similar presumably.

As I’ve said before, the key for any Beal deal to Dallas is they a)promised to re-route him to a preferred destination when he surprisingly signed the extension and b) Dallas is his preferred destination. He would have to really want to be here. Otherwise I think other contending teams could beat our offer.
And it's hard to imagine he wants to leave one frustrating struggle to jump in the middle of another one.

Old 02-04-2021, 04:17 PM   #458
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Very interesting bit in an article from the Ringer. [url[https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/2/1/22260012/dallas-mavericks-houston-rockets-san-antonio-spurs[/url]

I mean technically it's true. If we relinquish the protections in 2023 then we can trade 2025 and 2027. As well as pick swaps in 2022/2022/2024, however...

1) 2025 and 2027 are obviously a long way away. I wonder if that would be appealing for a team that is trying to retool in the next year or two. Also hypothetically if we get Beal, then that would, in theory, make us a good team and that first-rounder would be a late first which are not that appealing.

2) It's possible but unlikely that those protections could save us too. I'd die to have protections this year just in case we can't correct the ship. I can't imagine giving Knicks two lottery picks. This year we're currently 8th and in the lottery with the possibility of scoring a top three. We don't have a choice this year, but in 2023 we could at least keep the pick if we ended up with a top 10 pick.

3) Pick swaps aren't that valuable to teams like the Wizards and may actually have no value at all. For instance, if you disregard the lottery, Wizards would draft 3rd this year. We'd draft 8th. Wizards would decline to trade their 3rd for our 8th. If we got Beal and made a push for the playoffs, we'd likely have the 15-30th pick. If we make the playoffs then there isn't even a tiny chance that we win the lottery.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-04-2021 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-04-2021, 04:28 PM   #459
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

So for Beal really all we have to offer is 2025/2027/2029 firsts, some second-round picks, and pick swaps that likely have no value at all.

Does Green/THJ/WCS and two or three distant future firsts get it done?
Old 02-04-2021, 04:45 PM   #460
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
So for Beal really all we have to offer is 2025/2027/2029 firsts, some second-round picks, and pick swaps that likely have no value at all.

Does Green/THJ/WCS and two or three distant future firsts get it done?
Everyone is so focused on Beal.

I'd much rather have Lavine.

I think a package of THJ, Brunson, Green and a 1st would get it done.

There's really no need to trade WCS because he provides depth up front and can start if needed.

However, Lavine basically does everything both THJ and Brunson does accept he's way more superior to both. He can run the offense for longer stretches of games which helps Luka big time.

I also believe you could get more out of him defensively because of his length and athleticism.

Would be much easier to get him than Beal.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:10 PM   #461
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

As far as disgruntled stars that the Mavs could potentially trade for, I'm kind of surprised Karl-Anthony Towns' name hasn't come up more. I suppose the Wolves want to see if they can make it work with him and Edwards, but it's not secret that he's unhappy there.

He wouldn't give us much of anything on defense, but offensively, I think he's the player everyone hoped Porzingis was going to be once upon a time.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:48 PM   #462
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Everyone is so focused on Beal.

I'd much rather have Lavine.

There's really no need to trade WCS because he provides depth up front and can start if needed.

However, Lavine basically does everything both THJ and Brunson does accept he's way more superior to both. He can run the offense for longer stretches of games which helps Luka big time.

I also believe you could get more out of him defensively because of his length and athleticism.

Would be much easier to get him than Beal.
You may be right about this. I think they would ask for more though.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:50 PM   #463
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
As far as disgruntled stars that the Mavs could potentially trade for, I'm kind of surprised Karl-Anthony Towns' name hasn't come up more. I suppose the Wolves want to see if they can make it work with him and Edwards, but it's not secret that he's unhappy there.

He wouldn't give us much of anything on defense, but offensively, I think he's the player everyone hoped Porzingis was going to be once upon a time.
Towns would be great too. I just feel like many teams could beat our offer for Towns or Beal. GSW for instance and they are a desirable destination as well. It would take a concerted push on the part of the player and agent. And willingness from the team trading the star.
Old 02-04-2021, 07:27 PM   #464
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

No chance
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:08 PM   #465
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Gonna really sting winning the lottery and handing it to the Knicks.

Mavs now have the 6th best chances of winning.
Old 02-05-2021, 12:29 PM   #466
Super B

Super B is a jewel in the roughSuper B is a jewel in the roughSuper B is a jewel in the roughSuper B is a jewel in the rough

If RC and Half Nelson make it past the all-star break, I’m gonna be even more pissed off than I am now. I don’t really like the idea of Mosley as interim HC though. Not after giving up 147 points with no 3D and a layup line.

Take whatever kind of trash you can get for KP and move on. Start trying to acquire picks.

My biggest fear is that Luka walks when his contract is done. Or he walks into Cuban’s office and demands a trade. It’s over if he goes.

Super B

Super B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 02:41 PM   #467
Quantum

Quantum is a jewel in the roughQuantum is a jewel in the roughQuantum is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super B View Post
If RC and Half Nelson make it past the all-star break, I’m gonna be even more pissed off than I am now. I don’t really like the idea of Mosley as interim HC though. Not after giving up 147 points with no 3D and a layup line.

Take whatever kind of trash you can get for KP and move on. Start trying to acquire picks.

My biggest fear is that Luka walks when his contract is done. Or he walks into Cuban’s office and demands a trade. It’s over if he goes.
Luka sees it. Not a good squad. Too many guys with bad hands, cant dribble, cant finish at the rim, cant rebound...no one is a playmaker. Then there is paint defense.

Collectively too many flawed parts. Need to make some trades.
Quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 03:18 PM   #468
Dolencd

Dolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to all

Unpopular opinion:
I think KP is not as bad as Rick is bad at using him correctly. Wrong?
Dolencd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 03:36 PM   #469
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolencd View Post
Unpopular opinion:
100% true.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 04:38 PM   #470
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Unpopular opinion:
Not unpopular.

It's either how he is using him or how he is allowing him to play.

Old 02-05-2021, 05:33 PM   #471
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Not unpopular.

It's either how he is using him or how he is allowing him to play.
My hot take?

KP just isn't very good. Career 36% shooter from three. No post-game to speak of. Not much driving game. Poor spot-up shooter. Not a strong rebounder considering he's 7'3"

Seems like he's a guy like Dwight Howard that people think is a star, but he's never shown much more than the potential to be a starter.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-05-2021 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:01 PM   #472
tgfan
Golden Member

tgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to behold

Given the abysmal level of play the Mavs are currently exhibiting, I wish RC would resign from his position as president of the coaches association. For one thing, he sure doesn't need any additional responsibilities besides getting the Mavs to at least resemble a real NBA team. Secondly, I think, because of being in that position, he is overly deferential to refs who are calling against the Mavs in a biased manner. I suspect this is why he doesn't defend Luka more vociferously when the refs refuse to give Luka the same calls they routinely give to other superstar players.
tgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 06:09 PM   #473
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgfan View Post
Given the abysmal level of play the Mavs are currently exhibiting, I wish RC would resign from his position as president of the coaches association. For one thing, he sure doesn't need any additional responsibilities besides getting the Mavs to at least resemble a real NBA team. Secondly, I think, because of being in that position, he is overly deferential to refs who are calling against the Mavs in a biased manner. I suspect this is why he doesn't defend Luka more vociferously when the refs refuse to give Luka the same calls they routinely give to other superstar players.
Thats the hottest take I've ever heard.

1) You're saying he should be LESS professional as a coach and complain to the refs MORE?

2) You're saying that his membership in his professional organization that meets maybe once a month for an hour is making him a worse coach?

I mean, I think Rick may be to old to understand today's NBA and he may not be getting the most out of the mediocre team he has, but he should resign to complain on Luka's behalf more? If anything, he should take leadership as a coach and tell Luka to chill.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:19 PM   #474
SMC0007
Guru

Unhappy

Quote:
My hot take?

KP just isn't very good. Career 36% shooter from three. No post-game to speak of. Not much driving game. Poor spot-up shooter. Not a strong rebounder considering he's 7'3"

Seems like he's a guy like Dwight Howard that people think is a star, but he's never shown much more than the potential to be a starter.
I don't hate this take at all. He has a lot to prove, that's for sure. We Maxed him out of desperation.

When you say not very good. I agree. Interms of like Luka, lebron, giannis for example, are very good. KP is not. He is just good. Like regular baseline good. Not even a mid level good. Rick has defended the whole idea of KP lingering around the perimeter and slipping weak ass pick to go get a shot so it is insane for people to expect him to implement a post game.

Last edited by SMC0007; 02-05-2021 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-05-2021, 07:49 PM   #475
tgfan
Golden Member

tgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Thats the hottest take I've ever heard.

1) You're saying he should be LESS professional as a coach and complain to the refs MORE?

2) You're saying that his membership in his professional organization that meets maybe once a month for an hour is making him a worse coach?

I mean, I think Rick may be to old to understand today's NBA and he may not be getting the most out of the mediocre team he has, but he should resign to complain on Luka's behalf more? If anything, he should take leadership as a coach and tell Luka to chill.
Yes, for the most part.

1. I don't accept the premise that to be more assertive with the reffing would necessarily be "less professional". And if he would do so on behalf of his players, then Luka might not feel so compelled to speak out on his own defense on so many no-calls. People don't seem to demean Pop for getting himself thrown out of games over bad calls or lack of calls.

2. Yes, I think that leadership position lurks in the back of his mind during games. In addition to his passivity over really biased reffing, it may also be manifested in his reluctance to use the coach's challenge in situations in which everybody is wondering why he doesn't.

I just don't understand why he's like this, and I can't think of any better possible reason as to why. I'm all ears for another explanation.
tgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 04:20 AM   #476
Dolencd

Dolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to all

I really think Rick is a bad coach. Like really bad. I think most of his success comes form hist assistant coaches. He has shown moments of brilliance but so do most at this level.
He constantly benches players who just get a bit hotter, his entire arsenal of offensive tactics consists of maybe 2 or 3 and that's it.
OK. Maybe I'm a bit too harsh. Maybe he isn't bad. Maybe he's brilliant if rooster and opponent are just to his liking and style of coaching. But he's not willing to move an inch out of that and can't adjust his thinking one bit.

The most staggering thing for me is that he's not resigning. If He's as good as he or you may think, loosing so many games with a team surrounded with all that hype should really be below him.

I think he can do better elsewhere. He certainly can't do worse.

One more thing. I think Cuban should give Igor Kokoškov a chance. Ok ... He lead Slovenia's team (my place) to EuroBasket but he did it with such professional approach and against much, much better teams (name wise). Only Serbia in the finals had a chance until 5 minutes till the end of the match. Others like powerhouse Spain, didn't stand a chance.
They had like 3 different attack tactics against every defensive change an oposing team made. He pulled really risky moves and they all paid off.
The thing that staggered me the most ... I saw his presentation from a summer coaching camp in Serbia. He started with fundamentals. Cognitive processes when you give instructions, what does the mind want opposed to body. I was amazed.

Now that's a hot take right there.
Old 02-06-2021, 04:22 AM   #477
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Unpopular opinion:
Mavs Odds On Firing Coach Carlisle? Really? Whitt's End
Rick Carlisle is now listed by oddsmakers as the most likely NBA coach to be the first to be fired. Can that be explained?

Kristaps Porzingis’ shot chart
Kristaps Porzingis’ struggles this season are well documented. He’s been a massive liability on defense, he’s not rebounding aggressively, and on offense, he’s turned into a spot-up shooter. There’s no creativity in how he’s getting his looks.

A lot of this is on Porzingis. He needs to do a better job of finding cutting lanes, making himself available near the rim for Luka Doncic dump-offs, and crashing the offensive glass. But some of this is on the Mavs’ offensive scheme right now. They need to do more to help Porzingis break out of this funk. They need to get him near the rim.
Old 02-06-2021, 09:22 AM   #478
Dolencd

Quote:
Mavs Odds On Firing Coach Carlisle? Really? Whitt's End
Rick Carlisle is now listed by oddsmakers as the most likely NBA coach to be the first to be fired. Can that be explained?

I'm sorry I'm not used to the phrase wit's end. Are you saying they will or will not fire him?

I don't think they are going to. I'm just saying they should.

Meaning - exchanging KP for someone else doesn't solve all of the problems for me. I think KP is not that bad as Mavs are bad a utilising him.

We'll see how this pans out.

On one hand this situation really sucks.

But on the other hand ... You can lose every other game and from time to time lose 2 games. That means fu''!k all. But on the long term you're still going downhill. Just not that obvious. You can still fool yourself that it's not that bad.
A bad situation like this more or less forces you to make big changes quickly.
So things will very soon change. If nothing else Cuban bet a lot on Luka and losing Luka would be devastating for the Mavs. That's why he's going to make changes. Soon. At least has to.

I think Luka is very loyal. He's not used to move teams. He has in Real Madrid from 13 to 18. But he's not used to losing either.If things don't go upwards he'll not be staying. You can be very very sure of that.
Old 02-06-2021, 07:33 PM   #479
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm sorry I'm not used to the phrase wit's end
Richie Whitt is a writer. Whitt’s End is his column from which that was copy and pasted.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 02:14 PM   #480
Dolencd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
Richie Whitt is a writer. Whitt’s End is his column from which that was copy and pasted.
Huh, thanks for that! Really clears things up.