Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-10-2006, 01:23 PM   #1
harsh euro barge

harsh euro barge will become famous soon enoughharsh euro barge will become famous soon enough
Default Guess who's the frontrunner for MVP?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baske...rs-table_x.htm

Nowitzki's repertoire is well-rounded for MVP
By David DuPree, USA TODAY
Dirk Nowitzki of the Dallas Mavericks has quietly made himself the front-runner in the NBA's MVP race.

Improved defensive play and a balanced Mavericks squad has Dirk Nowitzki playing like an MVP candidate.
By David Zalubowski, AP

At 7-0 and with a deft outside shot, Nowitzki has long been one of the league's most difficult matchups. His game is more rounded this season, and as a result the Mavericks have been among the league's best teams from the outset. Going into Monday's games, only the Detroit Pistons and San Antonio Spurs had better records.

It all starts with Nowitzki, as he ranks ahead of everyone else in USA TODAY's MVP index.

USA TODAY subjectively picked 10 early season MVP candidates and ranked them in five statistical categories that encompass formulas to measure every facet of the game. The player who performs best in a category gets one point down to 10 for the worst score. The player with the lowest total points in all five categories is the theoretical MVP leader.

Nowitzki, the Western Conference player of the month for December, is the only player in the top five in all five categories.

"He's improving his versatility," Dallas coach Avery Johnson says. "He's moving around the court more. He's still popping the three, but he's also at the free throw line posting up, in the mid-post and the low post."

Every opponent has to set its defense to try to contain Nowitzki, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for his teammates.

Nowitzki also isn't the defensive liability he used to be. He'd much rather talk about defense than offense, anyway.

"Defense is something you've got to try to work on every night," he says. "We just can't say we're a good defensive team and relax. You've got to go out and prove it every night."

He adds that his success this season is made possible by having a more balanced team around him so he doesn't have to try to do everything: "We have 10, 11 guys who can go out there and make things happen for us."

Nowitzki was fifth in the index after the first month of the season, when Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Elton Brand and Marcus Camby occupied the first four spots.

Duncan has been hampered by plantar fasciitis in his right foot and has fallen to fifth. As efficient as Garnett has been, Minnesota has lost 10 of its last 13 to drop a game below .500. Brand still occupies the third spot, but Camby has missed nine games because of injury, the last six after finger surgery, and is not on the current list. Cleveland's LeBron James jumped from seventh to fourth.

New to the latest index are Detroit's Chauncey Billups and Memphis' Pau Gasol.

Billups is averaging career bests of 19.8 points and 8.4 assists. He is shooting 44.4% from three-point range (eighth in the league) and 92% on free throws (fifth in the league), making him the only player in the top 10 in both categories.

Contributing: Wire reports

Ranking the MVP Candidates
Player, team Win% Rank pts. PPS Hands TD Total
Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas 73.5 (3) 223 (4) 0.967 (5) -2.088 (2) 37.65 (5) 19
Kevin Garnett, Minnesota 48.4 (10) 158 (1) 1.009 (2) -2.194 (4) 37.65 (4) 21
Elton Brand, L.A. Clippers 54.8 (7) 205 (2) 0.960 (6) -1.452 (1) 38.10 (6) 22
LeBron James, Cleveland 64.5 (6) 229 (6) 0.981 (4) -3.032 (7) 42.90 (3) 26
Tim Duncan, San Antonio 76.5 (2) 228 (5) 0.916 (7) -2.324 (5) 35.32 (8) 27
Allen Iverson, Philadelphia 48.5 (9) 217 (3) 0.889 (9) -2.515 (6) 43.58 (2) 29
Chauncey Billups, Detroit 83.9 (1) 241 (9) 1.000 (3) -3.258 (8) 31.16 (10) 31
Pau Gasol, Memphis 65.6 (5) 239 (7) 0.877 (10) -2.094 (3) 33.59 (7) 32
Steve Nash, Phoenix 66.7 (4) 240 (8) 1.035 (1) -4.606 (10) 33.97 (9) 32
Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers 51.5 (8) 282 (10) 0.909 (8) -4.065 (9) 43.84 (1) 36
Category key: Win percentage — team winning percentage. Rank points — rankings among league leaders in seven categories (field goal percentage, free throw percentage, rebounds, assists, steals, blocked shots and points) added together. PPS — points per shot (field goal attempts plus free throw attempts divided by total points scored). Hands — average steals plus blocked shots minus average turnovers plus personal fouls. TD (team dominance) — average points, rebounds and assists divided by team averages in the same categories. Rank in parentheses.
harsh euro barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2006, 01:33 PM   #2
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

That's some good ink, but my gut tells me that Chauncey Billups is probably the fashionable pick this year for MVP.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:54 PM   #3
Milles

Milles will become famous soon enoughMilles will become famous soon enough

Watch out for Nash. All the haters were saying he was not the best player on his own team, just watch what happens now that Amare is out. Yup, second seed in the west, still number 1 in assists, (folks were saying that would drop to his Dallas numbers, also due to no Amare). If Phoenix keeps winning, Nash is right up there, above KG, AI, Kobe, Brand.

The MVP generally comes from one of the top teams in the league. Duncan is playing hurt and his numbers are a bit off this year.

Billups, well, their team has not changed, more running = more scoring = bigger numbers.

Hey, what ever happened to the, "Shaq derserves the MVP every year", argument?

Dirk is truly a leading canditate.
Milles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 02:10 PM   #4
George Gervin

George Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milles
Watch out for Nash. All the haters were saying he was not the best player on his own team, just watch what happens now that Amare is out. Yup, second seed in the west, still number 1 in assists, (folks were saying that would drop to his Dallas numbers, also due to no Amare). If Phoenix keeps winning, Nash is right up there, above KG, AI, Kobe, Brand.

The MVP generally comes from one of the top teams in the league. Duncan is playing hurt and his numbers are a bit off this year.

Billups, well, their team has not changed, more running = more scoring = bigger numbers.

Hey, what ever happened to the, "Shaq derserves the MVP every year", argument?

Dirk is truly a leading canditate.

well if the mavs with the southwest and get the #1 seed dirk should win.
George Gervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 02:20 PM   #5
Milles

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Gervin
well if the mavs with the southwest and get the #1 seed dirk should win.
No doubt.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:14 PM   #6
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
That's some good ink, but my gut tells me that Chauncey Billups is probably the fashionable pick this year for MVP.
he would be one of the least MVPs of all time...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:34 PM   #7
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Pop's take:

On his favorites for MVP:

"We were sitting around the other day saying, 'Who's doing the job?' You've got the two guys scoring all the points with Kobe [Bryant] and Allen [Iverson], so people are going to mention them because they're scoring points. But the two guys we talk about are [Dirk] Nowitzki and Billups. I think Nowitzki is amazing. They've got one of the best teams in the league and its predicated on him: If he doesn't play, they're not Dallas. He's rebounding, he's posting up, Avery's got him on the block more. He's making shots and he's making them in the fourth quarter, he's unreal.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:56 PM   #8
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Nice for Dirk to get some respect but damn if Pop's nose isn't deep in our ass. What's his game?

watch your thoughts, they become your words

Last edited by rabbitproof; 01-10-2006 at 03:56 PM.
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:12 PM   #9
Milles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof
Nice for Dirk to get some respect but damn if Pop's nose isn't deep in our ass. What's his game?
Maybe he is trying to play Dirk off Nash.

Quote:
Suns continue to rise: Popovich thought the Suns would continue to play well without Amare Stoudemire, but even he has been somewhat surprised by their recent surge to the top of the Pacific Division.

"I think they're faster than they were last year," Popovich said. "I really do.

"I think it shows what a special player and leader Steve Nash is. I don't know why he can't be the MVP again, holding that team together and keeping them right in the ballpark with other teams in the league.

"It's really special what he's doing."
Old 01-10-2006, 04:46 PM   #10
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like Pop feels like there should be 5 MVP's given out annually (Duncan, Dirk, Billups, Nash, who's #5?).

Hey Pop! Shut yo mouth and focus on trying to stay ahead of Dallas. You'll see amazing, unreal and special in June.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:47 PM   #11
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If we win the Southwest, Dirk's got it. It's that simple.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:12 PM   #12
mavsjunkie
Golden Member

mavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to all

I think Dirk is becoming fearless. That's the main reason he is doing the things he's doing. He's not scared of the Garnetts and shaqs of the world anymore. Beware in the playoffs this year, Dirk will make noise.
mavsjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:27 PM   #13
DwD

DwD is a jewel in the roughDwD is a jewel in the roughDwD is a jewel in the roughDwD is a jewel in the rough

I think it is more of a coming of age than lack of fear. Dirk has had to defer to Finley and Nash for so long that he forgot he is the franchise player for the Mavericks. I think he has finally had a chance to spread his wings and take over since there is no big three anymore - just Dirk and his team!
Old 01-10-2006, 06:18 PM   #14
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

dirk gets it this year, thats my prediction and im sticking to it
Old 01-10-2006, 08:55 PM   #15
DirkGoesNuclear

DirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
If we win the Southwest, Dirk's got it. It's that simple.
Phoenix only 2 game behind us at this point. What if they pip up to the West record?
Old 01-10-2006, 09:01 PM   #16
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

What if Detroit breaks the Bulls record?

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 12:17 AM   #17
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

I might agree with Mary that Billups may be the front runner at this point. Just because of the way the Pistons are playing and well Billups isn't playing too bad himself lol. The way I see Dirk winning MVP is if the Mavs take the West. I think Duncan and Parker also may be in the discussion. The only way I see Billups getting it is if the Pistons have the best record in the league. I don't think voters are going to be giving this award out to a point guard again this year unless the Pistons end up with the best record in the league. Nash, Lebron, AI and Kobe are all candidates but unless their respective teams go on some sort of streak than they're going to be fighting for 3rd place.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 12:23 AM   #18
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Anything could happen during the rest of the season BUT so far, Dirk's the clear MVP of the league. Fans on this forum knew this at least for the past few weeks and now the national media is catching on. That's kinda' nice!
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 12:24 AM   #19
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

billups is not winning the mvp and for once i have to agree with barkley "let's nix the 72 win idea"..the pistons are not getting there. They will lose 10 or more games before it's all said and done. The nauseating hype is getting to me.

The guy is averaging 18, 8 which is almost the same as what Chris Paul is averaging.

I'm also sick of hearing about how Dirk is so well rounded this year. Give me a break..he was fantastic last year and should've finished second place, behind Nash. He was fantastic in '02 when the mavs made their run to the WCF.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 12:41 AM   #20
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Unless the Pistons win 70 or the Lakers finish in the top 5 in the west, Dirk will win the MVP, book it. Its good to finally see Dirk get some national love.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 01:02 AM   #21
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh.s
billups is not winning the mvp and for once i have to agree with barkley "let's nix the 72 win idea"..the pistons are not getting there. They will lose 10 or more games before it's all said and done. The nauseating hype is getting to me.

The guy is averaging 18, 8 which is almost the same as what Chris Paul is averaging.

I'm also sick of hearing about how Dirk is so well rounded this year. Give me a break..he was fantastic last year and should've finished second place, behind Nash. He was fantastic in '02 when the mavs made their run to the WCF.

You can't be serious by comparing Billups 18,8 for the best team in the league to Chris Paul's 16 and 7 for the New Orleans Hornets who are I think 15-19. They're playing at two completely different levels even though they're points and assists are similiar.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 01:18 AM   #22
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Although I believe Billups is the MVP to this point, I don't believe he should be. He isn't carrying that team, its the team has guys stepping up every night. You can plug in another PG and they're still a good team. However, with the Mavericks Dirk is carry this team to win after win, doing everything on the court again. The only starter on our team that is better than a Piston starter is Dirk. JHo and Prince are a push. One has Finals experience...guarding Kobe and Manu, while JHo has better stats and carrys a larger load on his team. I think for voting the media will notice that Dirk is carrying this team. The past two years everyone has underrated us big time and then Dirk steps up and does something nobody believed he could do with this team. The Pistons were supposed to be atop the East from the start.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 01:20 AM   #23
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
You can't be serious by comparing Billups 18,8 for the best team in the league to Chris Paul's 16 and 7 for the New Orleans Hornets who are I think 15-19. They're playing at two completely different levels even though they're points and assists are similiar.
I don't know man. Both teams are exceeding expectations, but the Hornets are exceeding expectations solely based upon CP being unbelievable. Much of the Pistons success and Billups' can easily be credited to Flip for revamping the offense. Its tough to tell whether Billups really stepped up or the new offense has freed him to be able to play like he has been able to for years.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:26 AM   #24
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

I mean the Chris Paul against Chauncey Billups argument isn't that unreal.

Paul is averaging nearly twice as many rebounds as Chauncey, three times as many steals and has brought a team that was nearly finished last year back to form.

Anyways, I really think Dirk should win this year and it won't even be a question if we gain the first seed.

Dirk has carried our Mavericks this year, especially in the fourth quarter. He's the best crunchtime player in the league this year and makes his teammates better everytime he steps on the court. Off the court he's a great leader, as well, who is honest about every situation the team is in and doesn't mind speaking about the problems that emerge.

Dirk's the best vote you can give.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:09 AM   #25
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

Quote:
What if Detroit breaks the Bulls record?
According to the Sagarin rankings at USA Today, found here, Detroit has played the easiest schedule in the league so far. I don't think they can keep up their current pace when the schedule gets tougher.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:57 AM   #26
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

I think it is amazing how much the perception of Dirk has changed in 7-8 months. Just last May people were doubting his ability here on this board and all over the media. How quickly things change...I'm sure a lot of of Dirk's game was mental in the playoffs last year. He had to have hated playing against Nash and seeing his best friend excel in the playoffs while his game was almost mediocre. I would bet money that if we face Phoenix again in the playoffs this year, Dirk would be a much different player. Glad to see he is evolving into a true leader and MVP on this team!

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 01:15 PM   #27
WayOutWest
Golden Member

WayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the rough

With Billups he's a cog in a very fined tunned machine, with Dirk you have the motor that runs the machine, Mavs aren't going anywhere without Dirk.

Still, no noise about the current MVP that's keeping his team at the top of his division with a very good record despite losing a star like Amare all season.

"Lakers hate causes blindness"
WayOutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 01:44 PM   #28
sp3nc3r13

sp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nice

honestly, the pistons are way to balanced of a team to have a clear cut mvp. billups may in fact be the strongest and most valuable to the team, but in the NBA i think other teams have more "most valuable" pieces..(aka nash dirk kg brand james ai kobe) therefore it should come down to how well the "most valuable" pieces get there team to perform..and at this point it looks as if dirk, nash, james, and on the bubble kg/brand/kobe are the only remotely close players to that level.

Last edited by sp3nc3r13; 01-11-2006 at 01:47 PM.
sp3nc3r13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 02:07 PM   #29
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by raefformvp
I think it is amazing how much the perception of Dirk has changed in 7-8 months. Just last May people were doubting his ability here on this board and all over the media. How quickly things change...I'm sure a lot of of Dirk's game was mental in the playoffs last year. He had to have hated playing against Nash and seeing his best friend excel in the playoffs while his game was almost mediocre. I would bet money that if we face Phoenix again in the playoffs this year, Dirk would be a much different player. Glad to see he is evolving into a true leader and MVP on this team!
It was sickening to listen to what many of the talk show hosts had to say all off season about dirk..and to read what was said on many of the Mavs message boards regardless of how great his playoff history was..one bad series and all of that flew out the window which made so little sense considering the Mavs actually won that series.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:36 PM   #30
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
he would be one of the least MVPs of all time...
well said sike...well said.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:49 PM   #31
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayOutWest
With Billups he's a cog in a very fined tunned machine, with Dirk you have the motor that runs the machine, Mavs aren't going anywhere without Dirk.

Still, no noise about the current MVP that's keeping his team at the top of his division with a very good record despite losing a star like Amare all season.
Nash is obviously having another great season but he's also assisted day-in/day-out by another perennial all-star in Shawn Marion.

Last time, Dirk played with a perennial all-star was... well never! Nash comes close but as a Mav he was just a mere shadow of his present self.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:53 PM   #32
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

that'll be amazing to see Dirk win the MVP award after Steve won his last year...

and people thought they would be worse without each other...

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 04:04 PM   #33
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold
Smile

That would be really good..but the only way Dirk will win is if we have the best record.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote