Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 04-01-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future
Default Isiah To Indiana?

INDIANAPOLIS, IN — When Tony Bennett formally removed himself from the running to be the next head basketball coach at Indiana University over the weekend, the decision was met with surprise and slight embarrassment from those involved with the program.

With Indiana expected to make an announcement on their new coach by the end of the week, Bennett’s decisions throws a wrench into the already complicated process. But one man sees a simple solution to their problem.

“I’m in,” said an enthusiastic Isiah Thomas, shortly after his New York Knicks team took its 13th loss in the month of March on Sunday. “I played at IU. Hell, I won a National Championship there. And obviously, I’ve proven myself to be a capable coach at the highest level.”

While the general hope among fans of the program is that the university hire someone with intelligence, dignity, and respectability, Isiah does present an interesting case.

“If there’s one thing I know, it’s how to handle young talent. Look what I’ve done with Nate Robinson, Renaldo Balkman, David Lee, and Randolph Morris. Those guys freakin’ love me,” Thomas claimed. “And don’t even get me started on handling a budget. I ran the CBA for chrissake!”

When SSNN broached the possibility of Isiah becoming IU’s next head coach with Athletic Director Rick Greenspan, he was predictably guarded in his response.

“Due to contractual obligations, I’m not allowed to comment beyond stating that Isiah is on our list,” Greenspan said. When pressed further, he went on to add that Thomas sat “somewhere between Pat Summitt and Adolph Rupp.”

After being informed that Rupp has been dead for over 30 years, the normally serious Greenspan tried his best to conceal a smile while replying, “Yes, I’m aware of that.”

Upon being told of the A.D.’s comments, Isiah began hopping up and down and pumping his fists emphatically.

“You see!?!?! I knew they wanted me,” the Knicks president, coach and GM squealed. “Of course, I already have a job, and it would be really hard to leave a city where I’m so dearly loved, but I think it would be a perfect fit. Plus, Marbury has a cousin that’s a senior this year, and I know I could convince him to come to Bloomington.”

Link

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2008, 03:27 PM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Mind-boggling - it's kind of like hiring a known pedophile as a babysitter...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Indiana also expected to name Bobby Knight as University President.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:48 PM   #4
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Thomas will also be studying for his master's while he's there.

Last edited by TripleDipping; 04-01-2008 at 04:52 PM.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #5
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Funny.

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 04-01-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:43 PM   #6
me770706

me770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the rough

it's gonna be tom crean from marquette. solid hire i'd say

Wednesday morning, Barnes was home (apparently with his kids) when he read the quote and responded on twitter.

"Morning yall up early w/ the babies watchn Dora. Seems Lamar can't keep my name out his mouth maby I need 2 put my sons (expletive) diaper n it"
me770706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:39 PM   #7
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
THOMAS NOT CONTACTED OVER IU JOB

By MARC BERMAN

Click here to find out more!
March 31, 2008 -- ATLANTA - Not only won't Isiah Thomas coach the Knicks next season, but he won't guide his alma-mater Indiana either.

With the Hoosiers on the verge of naming a new coach this week, Thomas, arguably the school's most famous alumnus, said yesterday he has not been contacted about the job or even consulted.

Despite wayward speculation elsewhere, Thomas is a virtual certainty to be removed from the bench next season when president-in-waiting Donnie Walsh arrives after the season. While he could be offered a limited front-office role, Thomas' ultimate landing spot will be tricky after a disastrous four-year Knick stint.

It would seem extremely unlikely that an NBA team would touch him, for now, in a prominent coaching or front-office role. Thomas may have to rebuild himself on the college level, and erase the stigma of the sexual harassment trial. Thomas is a superb charmer and would excel in a recruit's living room.

When asked yesterday about coaching in college someday, Thomas said, "I think it's safe to say in basketball you never say never, in terms of where you end up and who you'll be with. I really don't see past today."

Thomas was angered at a story in Friday's Post quoting one Knick saying his teammates would like a coaching change.

"That player should put his name on it, if there is such a player," Thomas said. "But I think you have the opportunity and access to all our players, you can ask them."

With a P.R. director listening in and typing in his words on a Blackberry, Jamal Crawford said, "If you go around to every single person individually, I think the majority would say they want Coach Thomas back. Of course you have players getting into it with coaches. That's what part of being a family is. You're not going to agree on everything."

Thomas may not be a hero in the Knicks locker room but he's a legend in the state of Michigan that swarms with universities and popular in his hometown Chicago, nearly attending DePaul.

Thomas yesterday lobbied for Dan Dakich, who played for the Hoosiers in the mid-1980's just after Thomas, to remain coach in the wake of Kelvin Sampson's dismissal.

Thomas has an Indiana scholarship named after him and his son* (the straight one he claims, not the gay one he disowned that he had out of wedlock in a pre-wedding tryst with another woman) currently is a freshman.

Before the Knicks' 114-109 loss to Atlanta, Thomas stood in the middle of the visiting locker room at Philips Arena, gazing at the TV screen, mesmerized watching a fellow Chicago superstar point guard Derrick Rose lift Memphis into the Final Four. If they are so lucky in the draft lottery and get one of the top two picks in the draft, the Knicks could select Rose, whom Thomas is known to love. But Walsh's job will be to make the final call, even if Thomas is still helping with the draft.
__________________________________________________ _______________________
*Isiah Thomas' first son, Marc, the one he had never spoken to as recently as 2 years ago attends The New School in New York.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:49 PM   #8
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

isiah's quotes made me think i was gonna get rick roll'd.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote