Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 11-10-2003, 12:23 PM   #1
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all
Default Tracking the Rookies

I figure since we have a thread tracking everything else why not a rookie thread.

1. LeBron James, CLE 69.25
2. Jarvis Hayes, WAS 58.86
3. Carmelo Anthony, DEN 56.69
4. Udonis Haslem, MIA 53.63
5. Dwyane Wade, MIA 48.76
6. T.J. Ford, MIL 48.65
7. Chris Bosh, TOR 40.05
8. Luke Ridnour, SEA 37.74
9. Mickael Pietrus, GS 37.00
10. Ben Handlogten, UTA 35.58
11. Marcus Banks, BOS 34.30
12. Keith Bogans, ORL 33.82
13. Aleksandar Pavlovic, UTA 32.80
14. Boris Diaw, ATL 31.91
15. Kirk Hinrich, CHI 31.02

This is Sportslines efficiency ranking. So who has impressed youand who hasn't.

Obviously Lebron, the guy is just amazing. I can't believe what this guy is able to do at 18. I expect his numbers to fall a little bit, but it is a little frightening that through 6 games his numbers are quite similar to Magics in his rookie year(again I did say I expect that to change). Magic had 3 years of college too before his rookie campaign. Obviously has some work to do on jumpshooting, free throws, and turnovers, but he is going to be such a complete package when he does.

I've also been pleasantly surprised with Ford. I though he was going to an average PG in this league. I was afraid the combination of height and shooting ability might cause him some problems. He looks like he could prove me wrong, but he still needs to learn how to shoot the rock if he plans on becoming an elite PG.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2003, 12:52 PM   #2
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Tracking the Rookies

I think the ROY will go to Ben Handlogten. J/K. It's LeBron in a landslide.

However Handlogten does have the look that makes the ladies swoon. He may not have a stellar basketball career in front of him, but that's not going to keep him from raking in millions from LeBron-like marketing contracts.

"Smells like Cabbage"

madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 01:58 PM   #3
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all
Default RE:Tracking the Rookies

I think theree is no question Handlogten and maurice Williams will rewrite all those records Stockton and Malone set together.

Williams to Hanlogten, has a nice ring to it huh.

Old 11-10-2003, 02:37 PM   #4
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

T.J.'s shooting the ball worse then even I expected. Still, Don Chaney’s quote after losing to Mil. leads me to believe that he's still causing problems: I knew he'd be hard to guard, but I didn't think it would be this early. His shot will improve, but it probably won't be until next year. His steals will go up while his rebounds go down.

Bosh looked good the other night. He's just playing more tentative than some of the other top rooks.

Jarvis Hays has looked good since the pre-season but has been lost in the Carmello/Labron hype.

On a side note, will the networks stop comparing James/Anthony to Magic/Bird. Magic and Bird let their teams to titles. That's what made the match up so great. Anyone have their money on a Denver/Cleveland finals anytime soon?
Old 11-10-2003, 04:50 PM   #5
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Jarvis Hayes looked great against the mavs the other night. James has suprised me, I thought he would be going through more growing pains.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 05:00 PM   #6
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

handlogten is #1 in efficiency rating per 48 minutes! he's a stud!
Old 11-10-2003, 05:10 PM   #7
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
Jarvis Hayes looked great against the mavs the other night. James has suprised me, I thought he would be going through more growing pains.
Could be a dark horse for Rookie of the Year?

#3 in Points per game for all rookies behind 'Melo & 'Bron.
#6 in Rebs per game for rooks at 4.7 (ahead of Chris Bosh).
#8 in assists per game with only 'Melo ahead of him who is not playing the point position.
tied for #4 in Steals per game.

Not bad, and he's only getting started. Give him more time and who knows.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 06:00 PM   #8
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

All I know is Dwayne Wade is back so watch the hell out!
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 07:36 PM   #9
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
Could be a dark horse for Rookie of the Year?

#3 in Points per game for all rookies behind 'Melo & 'Bron.
#6 in Rebs per game for rooks at 4.7 (ahead of Chris Bosh).
#8 in assists per game with only 'Melo ahead of him who is not playing the point position.
tied for #4 in Steals per game.

Not bad, and he's only getting started. Give him more time and who knows.
It's going to be tough for him to win it. He'll lose minutes when Stackhouse gets back.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:08 PM   #10
Dirk Nowitzki

Dirk Nowitzki is on a distinguished road

Did this guy get slammed in the face with a 2x4 as a child?
Wow!!!!
Dirk Nowitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 04:41 PM   #11
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Damn guys... That is just seriously mean...

Got me in tears here... Damn that guy is ugly... Just look at the ears and nose... I swear that is a donkey!
Old 11-11-2003, 05:29 PM   #12
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dirk Nowitzki

Did this guy get slammed in the face with a 2x4 as a child?
Wow!!!!
Isn't that vincent from Beauty and the Beast (80's humor, or is that dad humor)?
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 10:22 AM   #13
grbh
Platinum Member

1. LeBron James, CLE 68.78
2. Carmelo Anthony, DEN 61.78
3. Jarvis Hayes, WAS 60.79
4. Dwyane Wade, MIA 50.81
5. Udonis Haslem, MIA 49.21
6. T.J. Ford, MIL 46.17
7. Chris Bosh, TOR 43.23
8. Keith Bogans, ORL 41.65
9. Kirk Hinrich, CHI 38.18
10. Mickael Pietrus, GS 37.00
11. Ben Handlogten, UTA 33.10

Lebron continues to play well, but notice Handlogten at 11, and shooting a terrific 80% from the field. At this poin t you have to go with James for ROY with Handlogten a close second. I look for that to change in the coming weeks and months though.

Old 11-17-2003, 10:25 AM   #14
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Dwayne Wade is now starting to get the minutes he needs, he will get to at least 3 by All-Star break.
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 10:49 AM   #15
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Congrats to Chris Bosh. Not only did he have a breakout game, he helped knock off one of our division rivals. I hope this gives him the confidence to play as aggressively as Labron and Carmello. He has the talent to be a player in the ROY race.

[/quote]JENNIFER QUINN
SPORTS REPORTER

Chris Bosh had already tried, and made, his first NBA three-point shot, a big-time play that sent the game to overtime and the fans into rapture.

So a little trash talk from Houston's Cuttino Mobley was hardly going to rattle him, but Vince Carter decided to step in nonetheless. He trotted over to the Rockets' loquacious guard and told him he had to "take care of my young fella."

But as the Raptors defeated Houston 101-97 in an entertaining double-overtime game yesterday afternoon, it was Bosh who took care of his teammates with a team-high 25 points, 10 for 10 from the free throw line and nine boards.

So when Mobley was giving the rookie a hard time as Bosh stood at the free throw line waiting to notch yet another point on the scoreboard, the laid-back, 19-year-old Texan just grinned.

"Aww, he was saying something about how I tripped over my own feet when Kelvin Cato fouled me and I went out of bounds," Bosh, who hails from Dallas, drawled. "I said, `Come on, man. He pushed me.'

"And he said, `You're going to miss these two free throws and give us the ball back.' Just friendly talking. And I just let him know I was not going to miss them."

Bosh notched two free throws and a field goal in the first OT. In the second, he was good for four freebies, plus a put back of an Antonio Davis miss and two offensive rebounds.

"He's poised," Mobley, a product of the Philadelphia hardcourts, said of the Raptor rookie. "I looked at him take that three and he looked like he knew what he was doing. And then he goes to the foul line and sinks six shots in a row? That kid is poised."

Steve Francis, who also had 25 points on the evening on 9-for-27 shooting, was less gracious about Bosh's tying three.

"He was lucky. He just threw it up and hoped it went in," said Francis.

In college, Bosh shot nearly .500 from the three-point line — though it is three feet closer in the NCAA — and Davis said there's no reason for anyone to be surprised the rookie made the shot.

"I don't think so. The guy can flat-out shoot the ball. It's just a matter of, did he have the nerve to take the shot?" said Davis. "I love him, man. There's nothing bad you can say about him."

It was a game that was full of subplots and interesting asides. There was Bosh's breakout, the fact Toronto was able to win a game for the first time this season despite being outrebounded, head coach Kevin O'Neill facing Jeff Van Gundy, one of his mentors, for the first time as a head coach, there was Carter not scoring a field goal until midway through the third quarter and his team still winning, and there was Yao Ming.

The Air Canada Centre had 19,547 — its biggest crowd of the season — come through the turnstiles to see the Rockets' second-year player.

He played 50 minutes, shot 50 per cent from the floor for 20 points and had a dozen rebounds. Playing in foul trouble for the last minutes of the game, Yao wasn't the presence a 7-foot-6 centre should be.

Carter had a horrific first half from the floor and was unable to notch a field goal until there was just 7:31 left in the third quarter. He finished with 18 points — 10 off free throws — five rebounds and nine assists.

He also spent much of the afternoon trying to shake loose from Houston's defence, one of the league's most effective. He recalled having seen the smothering double-team before.

"Against coach (Jeff) Van Gundy, you take it back to the playoffs against the Knicks," Carter said with a grin, recalling the Raptors' post-season meetings against Van Gundy's former team.[/quote]
Old 12-29-2003, 03:42 PM   #16
grbh
Platinum Member

1. LeBron James, CLE 74.53
2. Carmelo Anthony, DEN 68.94
3. Dwyane Wade, MIA 64.56
4. Chris Bosh, TOR 59.65
5. Jarvis Hayes, WAS 57.50
6. T.J. Ford, MIL 51.87
7. Kirk Hinrich, CHI 49.15
8. Raul Lopez, UTA 47.27
9. Udonis Haslem, MIA 45.97
10. Josh Howard, DAL 45.38
30 Ben Handlogten, UTA 22.91

It really has been a great year for rookies. 3 of the top 4 according to Sportslines efficiency rankings aren't even 20 yet. Lebron continues to amaze me, Bosh is maturing faster than I thought, and Wade has been playing some great ball the last month. Also notice with his increased minutes over the last couple weeks Howard has snuck into the top 10. He would be higher I am sure if it weren't for limited play the first month of the season.

Sadly, Handlogten has fallen to 30th on the rookie effiency list. I expect him to climb quickly. A man of his skills will not be held down. His per 48 stats now stand at 20.3 Points 15.1 Rebounds and 53% from the field. I read a Vescey column last week in which he quoted Portland officials as saying "Zach Randolph now quivers with dreaded anticiaption every time Utah comes to town"

Old 12-29-2003, 04:39 PM   #17
Walkerforthree
Golden Member

Walkerforthree is on a distinguished road

I have watched Handlogten play, he isn't THAT bad, he has a nice post game.
Walkerforthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 01:35 AM   #18
Shaq Attack2

Shaq Attack2 is on a distinguished road

LeBron if ROY so far, with Melo a distant 2nd and Wade a close 3rd. What other rookie is putting up 20-6-6?
Shaq Attack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 09:32 AM   #19
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Shouldn't Josh HOward be in here somewhere?
Old 01-01-2004, 04:49 AM   #20
Kid California

Kid California is on a distinguished road

1. LeBron James, Cavaliers (No. 1 pick in 2003 Draft)
Key Stats: 31 GP, 20.2 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 6.1 apg, 1.58 spg, 40.2 mpg
Breakdown: By going over 30 twice in the last week (34 in Christmas Day classic against T-Mac and Magic, and 32 in win over Blazers), James bumped his scoring average over 20 points per game. Also came within one assist of notching his first career triple-double in Portland win

2. Dwyane Wade, Heat (No. 5)
Key Stats: 27 GP, 16.8 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 4.3 apg, 1.37 spg, .453 FG%, 36.4 mpg
Breakdown: Wade sprained his wrist in Dec. 26 win over Wizards, but the injury doesn't appear serious. "It's not a major injury there," coach Stan Van Gundy told the Associated Press ... Without Wade in lineup Saturday, Heat suffered just third loss in last 10 games. Wade has scored 20 or more in six of those games, and has shot better than 50 percent from the field in eight of them.

3. Carmelo Anthony, Nuggets (No. 3)
Key Stats: 30 GP, 18.7 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 2.9 apg, 1.23 spg, 35.6 mpg
Breakdown: 'Melo had standout game with career-high 37 points in Dec. 26 win over Houston, but sandwiched that between 15- and 10-point outings, in which he shot a combined 9-for-29 from the field. Regardless, second place in rankings is fast becoming a toss-up between Anthony and Wade. Wade gets nod this week due to steady play and hot shooting.

4. Kirk Hinrich, Bulls (No. 7)
Key Stats: 24 GP, 9.2 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 5.5 apg, 1.04 spg, .353 3P%, 31.0 mpg
Breakdown: Bulls have won last two games, and Hinrich's combined numbers of 17 points, 17 assists, 11 rebounds, four three-pointers and 83 minutes in back-to-back games were impressive. For December, Kansas alum is averaging 11.2 points, 3.4 rebounds, 6.8 assists and 1.2 steals in 36.8 minutes.

5. T.J. Ford, Bucks (No. 8)
Key Stats: 29 GP, 7.3 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 6.6 apg, 1.31 spg, .804 FT%, 28.4 mpg
Breakdown: After giving up six turnovers against Nets and four against Pistons, Bucks' Dec. 26 win over Pacers was first game of Ford's career that he didn't have a turnover. Milwaukee also managed to put together first three-game winning streak of the season over that stretch ... In 29 games played, Ford has only dished out fewer than four assists twice.

6. Josh Howard, Mavericks (No. 29)
Key Stats: 25 GP, 8.2 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 1.12 spg, 22.0 mpg
Breakdown: Mavs love hard-working forward's defense and ability to score when needed. Howard is averaging 10.9 points, 8.0 rebounds and 1.5 steals in 12 games in December ... Howard's solid play is really eating into Eduardo Najera's minutes; veteran forward is averaging just 11.4 minutes in December.

7. Chris Bosh, Raptors (No. 4)
Key Stats: 29 GP, 11.2 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 1.55 bpg, .470 FG%, 33.7 mpg
Breakdown: In two games over past week, Bosh managed just 13 points and 13 rebounds combined. Struggling Raptors managed a split, however, giving them their second win in last nine games ... Since Raptors' trade with Bulls, skinny Bosh is being asked to play out of position at center.

8. Jarvis Hayes, Wizards (No. 10)
Key Stats: 28 GP, 11.4 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 1.36 spg, .339 3P%, .851 FT%, 34.0 mpg
Breakdown: Hayes averaged 12.0 points, 6.0 rebounds and 2.67 steals in week that saw Wizards drop three straight. Rookie forward also shot a combined 16-for-38 (.421) from the field over that stretch.

9. Luke Ridnour, Sonics (No. 14)
Key Stats: 27 GP, 7.3 ppg, 2.7 apg, 1.11 spg, .372 3P%, .851 FT%, 18.8 mpg
Breakdown: Sonics have won two of last four, and Ridnour has averaged 12.5 points, 2.5 rebounds, 4.8 assists and 1.25 steals over that run ... Now that Ray Allen's back for Seattle, however, they have a logjam in the backcourt, with Ridnour, Antonio Daniels, Richie Frahm and Flip Murray all coming off the bench.

10. Kyle Korver, 76ers (No. 51)
Key Stats: 25 GP, 3.7 ppg, .471 3P%, .800 FT%, 8.4 mpg
Breakdown: Sixers like Korver's ability to fill it up in a hurry. Long-range marksman had 16 in Dec. 22 win over Orlando, and is 20-for-36 from three-point range in December ... With his long hair and surfer looks (Paul Pierce dubbed him "Ashton Kutcher"), Korver is fast becoming one of the most popular Sixers.

Honorable mention: Steve Blake, Keith Bogans, Chris Kaman, Raul Lopez, Darius Songaila
Kid California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 11:03 AM   #21
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=1997822

Sizing up the class of 2003
Print story AIM story Email story
Sean Deveney /
Posted: 19 hours ago
Before the season started, this was to be the Year of The Rookie in the NBA, and there was no doubt who was going to own the year: Cleveland's teenage sensation, LeBron James. Interest in those chosen immediately after James -- Yugoslavian big man Darko Milicic and Syracuse cover boy Carmelo Anthony -- also was high, but after that, being a member of the 2003 draft class got you a shrug of the shoulders and a presumed seat on the end of the bench.

It hasn't worked out that way, though. Draft night '03 belonged to James and the Cavaliers, but, apparently, there were some very good players taken after the James-Milicic-Anthony trio. In fact, we've got 10 other reasons for you to love the class of 2003.

1. Chris Bosh, Raptors. Pick: 4th. No question, the Raptors need to acquire some big-man help for Bosh, and even if they sign Tyrone Hill, they'll need more. Bosh is out of position at center, and he has shown signs of wearing down as his minutes have piled up.

When he is at his best, though, Bosh is an athletic, intelligent player who blocks shots, rebounds and can score in a variety of ways. His post moves look natural -- he's still building his repertoire -- and he can shoot out to 18-20 feet, making him a deadly pick-and-roll partner. He's thin, but stronger than he looks.

2. Dwyane Wade, Heat. Pick: 5th. Wade was supposed to pose a Jason Terry-type problem on the NBA level -- a shooting guard in an undersize package that would force him to play point guard. He's still not a natural point guard, but when you put him into an offense that features good passers like Lamar Odom and Eddie Jones, that weakness can be masked. And, at 6-5 with long arms, he is a very good defender.

It may just be rookie enthusiasm (he evokes a younger, smaller Vince Carter at times), but few players attack the rim with as much gusto as Wade. Most of his baskets come on smart, aggressive drives into the paint. When the Heat won seven times in a nine-game stretch in December, Wade was outstanding, averaging 22.2 points on 54.6 percent shooting.

3. Josh Howard, Mavericks. Pick: 29th. Often, the last pick in the first round can be revealing. During the meat of the draft, so many teams are seeking the next prep school steal or 18-year-old European sensation that they lose sight of the blatant, obvious talents on the draft board. This is how guys like Gilbert Arenas and Carlos Boozer slip into the second round, and it is how Howard wound up with Dallas.

The Mavs were considering shipping this pick away until it was clear that Howard, the unanimous ACC (yes, that is Atlantic Coast Conference) player of the year would be available. At 6-6, Howard is versatile and smart, with a good scoring touch around the rim, decent mid-range shooting and aggressive attitude on the boards.

Most rookies fly under the radar screen for a couple of months, then get picked up by scouts, and teams figure out how to defend and attack them. But, lost among Dirk Nowitzki, Antoine Walker, Michael Finley and Steve Nash, Howard probably will stay under the radar all season. He's been starting ahead of Antawn Jamison, and what's more, he is getting more minutes than Jamison.

4. Kirk Hinrich, Bulls. Pick: 7th. Believe it or not, two of the biggest questions scouts had about Hinrich heading into last year's draft was his toughness and defense. As it turns out, those are the two elements that have secured his spot in the Bulls' starting lineup. He's a relentless defender, and spends more time on the United Center floor than the Bulls' janitor.

It's the other things -- poor decisions and inconsistent shooting -- that have been the drawbacks for Hinrich so far. He's playing big-time minutes with the Bulls, and by all indications, he won't be able to handle the workload much longer. But if he can leap the rookie wall early, he will be a very solid NBA point guard this year.

5. T.J. Ford, Bucks. Pick: 8th. The things that had scared away teams like Miami and Chicago have come to fruition with Ford. His size -- he's listed at 6-0, 165 -- makes him a defensive liability against bigger point guards, and he simply can't shoot. His field goal percentage (34.7) is among the worst for NBA starters.

But you could argue that, after LeBron James, no rookie has had a bigger impact on his team than Ford, who is a lightning-fast ballhandler with great court sense. The Bucks are supposed to be rebuilding, but instead they are in the East playoff mix, thanks in large part to Ford.

He splits minutes with Damon Jones, but Ford is the starter, and his speed sets the pace for the Bucks. They pressure the ball and run the floor so effectively that you hardly notice they're lacking big men. Ford may never learn to shoot, but if he continues to get into the paint, he can simply dish off and let his teammates do the shooting.

6. Zarko Cabarkapa, Suns. Pick: 17th. Cabarkapa had a wink-wink agreement with the Suns before the draft, but there sure were some other teams that could have used him (Orlando comes to mind). He is a 6-11 slasher with good pull-up ability. Cabarkapa's first coach, Frank Johnson, is now the Suns' former coach, and one of the reasons is that Johnson did not give Cabarkapa minutes early in the season.

When Dallas' Danny Fortson broke Cabarkapa's wrist, the rookie was in the midst of his best game and most playing time, 17 points and 9 rebounds in 29 minutes. In fact, since Cabarkapa has gone down, the Suns have gone 3-13, after a 7-7 start. A tougher, road-heavy schedule and the injury to Amare Stoudemire probably contributed to that mark more than Cabarkapa's absence, but there's no question that the rookie's size and versatility are missed in Phoenix.

7. David West, Hornets. Pick: 18th. No rookie has been as reliable as West with as little fanfare. With P.J. Brown, Jamaal Magloire and Robert Traylor on board in New Orleans, there are only 12-18 minutes per game available for West, but he takes advantage of them.

Per-48-minute stats are often deceiving, but in West's case, they show how effective he has been on the boards -- he's first in offensive rebounds per 48 minutes (6.8) and fourth in overall rebounds per 48 minutes (16.6). He's a good offensive player who has yet to find a rhythm in the NBA, shooting just 43.9 percent -- he'll shoot in the 46-48 percent range eventually.

Many scouts thought he would be too small (6-9, barely) to be an effective power forward, but he is a bit like Elton Brand in that the length of his arms allows him to attack the glass effectively.

8. Chris Kaman, Clippers. Pick: 6th. Kaman's big problem was supposed to be his strength and his shooting range. His upper body is almost concave, he's a weak defender and his shot outside the paint is awkward. But Kaman is nearly as talented using his left hand as he is with his right, and for a stretch of games in December, Kaman hit the boards strong and made his short-range jumpers.

Stamina seems to be Kaman's biggest problem, though, and coach Mike Dunleavy is testing out the pairing of Chris Wilcox and Elton Brand ahead of Kaman. He's shown his talent, but how hard he works will determine how much opportunity he gets.

9. Jarvis Hayes, Wizards. Pick: 10th. Hayes' shooting runs hot-and-cold, and he must establish consistency (that, of course, is a theme when talking about rookies). If he is to become the taller, thicker version of Richard Hamilton that the Wizards hope he can, then he will have to shoot around 45 percent. He has the form to do it.

Hayes has already shown he can handle himself defensively at the small forward spot, and his ability to move without the basketball and hit spot-up shots will determine his future. Arenas has been out and Hayes has established a rapport with fellow rookie Steve Blake, but the return of Arenas, as well as the eventual return of Jerry Stackhouse, will limit Hayes' role as the season progresses.

The team clearly is excited about Hayes -- excited enough, say some personnel folks, to consider putting Stackhouse on the trading block this summer.

10. Luke Ridnour, Sonics. Pick: 14th. The return of Ray Allen and Brent Barry probably will mean a cut in minutes for Ridnour, but he made a good accounting of himself during the early season. He's not especially quick defensively, but he gives good effort.

His shooting has been improving after some rough games early in the year, and it looks like he has a good stroke. He's an excellent free-throw shooter, too, but he needs more confidence to drive the lane and draw contact. It's doubtful that the Sonics will hold onto Barry (a free agent) after this year, which means Ridnour probably will be the future point guard.

Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 11:09 AM   #22
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Anyone think Hinrich is overrated?
Old 01-01-2004, 11:19 AM   #23
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2
Anyone think Hinrich is overrated?
No I like him. He may never be a big assist guard, but he can really shoot and has very good althleticism despite his looks. I wanted the Bulls try to move up to get Wade. I thought he would be the better fit. Although Hinrich will be fine. He will be a very good player in the league. Just fix his hair!
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote