Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Dallas-Mavs.com Stuff

Old 01-24-2016, 07:32 PM   #81
BANGBANGCHANDLER
Banned

BANGBANGCHANDLER is on a distinguished road

I made a user just to say how wonderful this site has been to me. I have been following it for a long time, and I really appreciate everything y'all have done.

Edit: If I can make a thread to help encourage people with the Twitter thread, I will do that.

Last edited by BANGBANGCHANDLER; 01-24-2016 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Addition
BANGBANGCHANDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2016, 08:25 PM   #82
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Maybe... Although all attempts to contact the admin/owner seem to have been ignored.
djb responded to me. I asked if he would be willing to transfer ownership and hosting responsibility to someone else. I volunteered myself if so.

If it comes down to it, I can finish setting up a new forum on MavsForum.com. I've only installed forum software and purchased the domain, but can implement a design and setup new categories and such if djb doesn't want to transfer the data. I'd happily set all current mods still interested in participating as mods there. Preferably though, we can just move the current forum+data+dallas-mavs.com domain over to a new host.

Last edited by Robillion; 01-24-2016 at 08:27 PM.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:37 PM   #83
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robillion View Post
djb responded to me. I asked if he would be willing to transfer ownership and hosting responsibility to someone else. I volunteered myself if so.

If it comes down to it, I can finish setting up a new forum on MavsForum.com. I've only installed forum software and purchased the domain, but can implement a design and setup new categories and such if djb doesn't want to transfer the data. I'd happily set all current mods still interested in participating as mods there. Preferably though, we can just move the current forum+data+dallas-mavs.com domain over to a new host.
Oh, he did? I know there were a few people volunteering to save the site, but I hadn't heard any updates... It would be excellent if he could transfer everything as-is, but I would definitely migrate over to an all-new forum if it meant being able to keep this community intact.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:01 PM   #84
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:03 PM   #85
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

What did dj say? Was he open to it?

I don't want to pry into private conversations, but I don't want the site to just be shut down one day leaving a bunch of people scrambling. We should set up what we're going to do on twitter or something so people aren't left in the dark. Or if that is the new forum, let everyone know before the shut down happens.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 01-24-2016 at 09:07 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:34 PM   #86
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone looking to save this site, I got this little tidbit from DJ:

Quote:
shared hosting just doesn't work for this site due to the size of the database. This is the reason we had to move to a dedicated setup in the first place
I have no idea what that means, but I hope it helps...

Last edited by Underdog; 01-24-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:46 PM   #87
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

Looks like djb will either decide to continue operating if it gets sponsored, or close it regardless, even with monetary offers.

I will finish setting up MavsForums.com, and will update everyone here (if it's still open) later in the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robillion
Quote:
How much could the costs possibly be for the amount of activity the site gets? Seems to me shared hosting could work? Even if the traffic was high, there are multiple ways to monetize.

Could someone send me or share details, because I'm confused as to why someone else couldn't easily take over hosting. I have hosting space myself...

Not to mention, growing user engagement and monetizing web traffic is my profession. http://linkedin.com/in/robmcarpenter
I'm wondering how I could help, because to me there is plenty more opportunity for growth with dallas-mavs.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb
The shutdown has little to do with the monetary aspect. The site is just seeing minimal use these days with traffic at an all-time low. And that, combined with my complete lack of respect for cuban (based on personal dealings with him), has made it difficult for me to even want to continue supporting him/his team through this site as I have done for the last 15+ years. Don't get me wrong, if people were actually making use of the forums, I would gladly keep it going. But it's just not worth it for the half dozen or so new posts that are made each day. And because of the size of the database, shared hosting would work only if traffic remained as abysmal as its been (and if that's the case, what's the point?), although the traffic/usage generated by the gameday threads could still potentially slow things down to a crawl as had been known to happen before we switched to a dedicated box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robillion
All understandable if you have no further interest in running the board. Though there are still plenty of members that would prefer to still have the site up and running, in some capacity.

Would you be willing to transfer ownership to someone else? I started setting up mavsforums.com just in case, but many want to have their account data saved: post count, rep, posts, etc. The data could either be transferred over to the new forum, or someone could just take over responsibility and hosting of this current forum.

The forums are not as popular as they once were, but that doesn't mean they do not have utility or opportunity to become popular again. I'm not the only one that would like to see this forum remain open, but I am willing to take over responsibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb
I've received offers for the site (even one in the five figure range) but am just not interested in transferring ownership at this time. Our current server host/admin has expressed interest in sponsoring the site so that's something under consideration right now.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:48 PM   #88
xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx is a jewel in the roughxtruroyaltyx is a jewel in the roughxtruroyaltyx is a jewel in the roughxtruroyaltyx is a jewel in the roughxtruroyaltyx is a jewel in the rough

Shared hosting means the site is on a server with other users of that server. Dedicated hosting means you have the entire server basically to yourself.

Simplest way to look at it is living in one apartments is like shared hosting. You have to share resources.

Owning the entire complex and telling everyone to get out because you want it all for yourself is like dedicated hosting. You can knock down walls and make one big house if you want. Or do whatever you want. It's all yours.

Btw, sucks you guys are losing your site. It's the only Mavs board I visit because the content and site are the easist to navigate through.

Last edited by xtruroyaltyx; 01-24-2016 at 10:53 PM.
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:54 PM   #89
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

so confused.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:03 AM   #90
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Cuban is a douche..so that's understandable.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:18 AM   #91
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Is djb a shark tank contestant who had his idea rejected by Cuban, tbh?

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:46 AM   #92
GermanStandard

GermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to behold

Sad Day if it happens but understandable from the Owner. The Traffic has massively declined especially since 2011.

Been a long time Reader here and decided to make myself an Account a couple of years back.

Some fantastic People in here.

Hope this Community can stay alive in whatever way.

-------------------------------------------------

Baller from the G'
GermanStandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:30 PM   #93
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

I will miss this site if it goes down. It is fun to go down memory lane from 12 to 14 years ago and look at some of your own posts and go "did I really write that??"

Admittedly, I have dropped off the map since 2011...Kids, family, work take a lot out of you...

Before I joined here, I used to go to Lone Mavs Fan Forum. It's still there and running, but with less traffic than here. But it could be an option to resurrect that site and combine forces, since the oldies on this site still have their account setup at the LMFF.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:54 PM   #94
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Disgruntled owner who is unhappy with Cuban. Traffic and cost not really an issue IMO. I've seen this before. Owner wants to take ball and go home. Community members will suffer. I seriously doubt when all is said and done that this site is permitted to continue. He's already mentioned that it's not about the money. More than likely somebody will have to start up another forum and people will need to find it in order to transition over. Like I've said, I just went through this very same scenario in November last year with a forum and group in which I was one of the core people for 15+ years. Owner turned off domain overnight and left a very large community in the dark.

Okay, now that I've said it, how long until this post is deleted, and I get hit with the ban stick? :-O
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:50 PM   #95
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Bye, D-M.

MFFL

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:59 AM   #96
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Yea you know it all turin. "Traffic and cost not really an issue." So the $800 or so per year it costs just to keep the lights on is worth it for the half dozen or so new posts made each day? It may not be about the money but if no one's using the site then there isn't much point in keeping it up. And this isn't anything new. Traffic has been a steady decline for several years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
Disgruntled owner who is unhappy with Cuban. Traffic and cost not really an issue IMO. I've seen this before. Owner wants to take ball and go home. Community members will suffer. I seriously doubt when all is said and done that this site is permitted to continue. He's already mentioned that it's not about the money. More than likely somebody will have to start up another forum and people will need to find it in order to transition over. Like I've said, I just went through this very same scenario in November last year with a forum and group in which I was one of the core people for 15+ years. Owner turned off domain overnight and left a very large community in the dark.

Okay, now that I've said it, how long until this post is deleted, and I get hit with the ban stick? :-O
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:35 AM   #97
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Mr DJB has provided a tremendous place for many of us to talk Mavs for 15 years or so. I am very appreciative. Think about it.... This site has about as many new posts per day as what some of us averaged individually per day.

DJ, thank you. I am very appreciative for what you have provided here.

Last edited by Murphy3; 01-26-2016 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:37 AM   #98
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb View Post
Yea you know it all turin. "Traffic and cost not really an issue." So the $800 or so per year it costs just to keep the lights on is worth it for the half dozen or so new posts made each day? It may not be about the money but if no one's using the site then there isn't much point in keeping it up. And this isn't anything new. Traffic has been a steady decline for several years now.
It's a vicious circle. Less traffic leads to even less traffic.

This is how I've lost interest. Simply not enough traffic.

New people were not allowed to open threads, older users insulted them as trolls, downgraded their reputation. This whole Up/downgrade option created a very unhealthy atmosphere here. Often it felt almost like stalking. Overall some users took this whole thing here way too seriously. Instead of talking basketball and having fun, people argued with each other, insulted each other and tried to be the smartest guy in the room.

dallas-mavs.com has great potential, but it needs some "culture" changes. It should be more fun again. With more freedom (A board with 95% GDT and PGT is boring) and respect, esp. for younger users. But it's probably too late.

DB board

dallas-mavs

Last edited by markus1234; 01-26-2016 at 09:13 AM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:07 AM   #99
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Yeah, I was just going over all the stats for the site... Looks like I'm going to finish with the 5th-most posts:

I can't believe DocBio is still #1, considering he was banned back in 2007... dude1394 could have taken the top spot, but he mostly posts on Fish's site these days.

As far as rep is concerned, I definitely finished #1:

You can't see the actual rep numbers in the above picture, but I topped-out at just over 83k, with L-Dub coming in #2 at almost 71k.

Not sure what everyone else's rep is -- I'd have to go through each profile manually in the Mod tools to find out.
Man...you're making me regret not posting for the last 8 years lol.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:04 AM   #100
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus1234 View Post
It's a vicious circle. Less traffic leads to even less traffic.

This is how I've lost interest. Simply not enough traffic.

New people were not allowed to open threads, older users insulted them as trolls, downgraded their reputation. This whole Up/downgrade option created a very unhealthy atmosphere here. Often it felt almost like stalking. Overall some users took this whole thing here way too seriously. Instead of talking basketball and having fun, people argued with each other, insulted each other and tried to be the smartest guy in the room.

dallas-mavs.com has great potential, but it needs some "culture" changes. It should be more fun again. With more freedom (A board with 95% GDT and PGT is boring) and respect, esp. for younger users. But it's probably too late.

DB board

dallas-mavs

You are right.. I can remember the past few years people would jump all over a newer poster when they posted a new thread when the reality is that the board was becoming a bit stagnant and absolutely needed it...

But, I think the play on the court is the ultimate reason why there's not as much posting anymore. Despite constant changes, the Mavs have consistently managed to be pretty good.. Good enough to be into the playoffs but usually not much of a threat to advance out of the first round. And, there hasn't been a lot of hope that they'll be anything other than pretty good. The Mavs obviously missed the boat with decision making after the Finals. back in '11. The fan base is now pretty stagnant. It's just a shame that this forum won't be here throughout the end of Dirk's career.

And yeah, obviously places such as Twitter had an impact.. but the site was down quite a bit long before Twitter had a major impact on it..
Old 01-26-2016, 12:20 PM   #101
Underdog

Quote:
So, why don't you just sell it to one of the people who made you an offer and be done with it? I mean, I fully support your reasons for walking away from this site, but I don't understand why D-M isn't allowed to live on without you...

Old 01-26-2016, 12:53 PM   #102
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Simple enough then. If things are as you say, then if you're done, turn the site and information over to somebody else and let them take the reigns and responsibility. It doesn't really matter what you say. What matters ultimately is what you end up doing. Call me a cynic, but I think you'll just shut it down. Talk is cheap.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:27 PM   #103
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Or we could pool together 800 bucks for another year at least. We could crowdfund d-m.com!

Old 01-26-2016, 07:13 PM   #104
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Guess I'll resort to mavsmoneyball...
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:16 PM   #105
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
Simple enough then. If things are as you say, then if you're done, turn the site and information over to somebody else and let them take the reigns and responsibility. It doesn't really matter what you say. What matters ultimately is what you end up doing. Call me a cynic, but I think you'll just shut it down. Talk is cheap.

I've put in tens of thousands of dollars along with countless hours of my time into this site over the last 15+ years. And yet here you are, with your <1 post/week average, somehow thinking as if you have the right to call me out and demand that I simply hand it over? Deciding to close the site after years of significant decline was an extremely difficult decision for me, but one I sure has hell don't need to defend or justify to you. I'll definitely miss a lot of the longstanding members here, especially those who have been here since the very beginning, but entitled trolls like you? Yea not so much.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:24 AM   #106
Samurai

Samurai is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Well, Cuban is a douche..so that's understandable.
I cannot tell you how much hearing this warms my cockles. Next step is to stop supporting any team, or any other endeavor, he's a part of. Somebody should just set up a sign, "Do not feed the ego!"

Last edited by Samurai; 01-27-2016 at 12:26 AM.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:41 AM   #107
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Don't post nearly as much as I did but I'll miss you guys/girls. I don't have a Twitter so maybe this will make me finally break down and get one.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:43 AM   #108
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've put in tens of thousands of dollars along with countless hours of my time into this site over the last 15+ years. And yet here you are, with your <1 post/week average, somehow thinking as if you have the right to call me out and demand that I simply hand it over? Deciding to close the site after years of significant decline was an extremely difficult decision for me, but one I sure has hell don't need to defend or justify to you. I'll definitely miss a lot of the longstanding members here, especially those who have been here since the very beginning, but entitled trolls like you? Yea not so much.
I'll miss the site and I'd contribute some if it helped keep it open, but I choose to give thanks for all the years you kept it open rather than complain that you are closing it.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:50 AM   #109
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

you know this site has been quite good to me these past couple of years. I will definitely miss this place and some of the memories shared with other posters. Cheers! See you guys in some other forum.

Err.. which forum?

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:33 AM   #110
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
I'll miss the site and I'd contribute some if it helped keep it open, but I choose to give thanks for all the years you kept it open rather than complain that you are closing it.
No doubt. Thanks djb. I feel fortunate to have enjoyed this site from pretty much the beginning. Even though I started lurking here in my early twenties, it feels almost like I'm losing a bit of my childhood with this board going down. I might have to also get myself onto twitter just to keep up with this community.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:12 AM   #111
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleefilled View Post
No doubt. Thanks djb. I feel fortunate to have enjoyed this site from pretty much the beginning. Even though I started lurking here in my early twenties, it feels almost like I'm losing a bit of my childhood with this board going down. I might have to also get myself onto twitter just to keep up with this community.
Same sentiments jlee

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:16 AM   #112
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

What the damn hell. Just saw this. I don't post much anymore but I still lurk and it's always nice to see many of the original posters still going strong. If this is indeed the end, see y'all on the interwebs. Dirk rules, everyone else drools. MFFL.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:26 AM   #113
Underdog

Emotions running high, everybody is in a different stage at this point... I doubt I'll reach #5 before the whole thing shuts down, but I guess I have to eventually.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:59 AM   #114
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

I'd assume every regular poster is very grateful to have been able to post on these boards for so long. Markus may be right that db.com has more traffic, but the quality of posting here was and is far, far superior.

Dare I suggest shutting the boards down when the season ends? Just seems kinda weird to do it smack dab in the middle. Once the season ends, then I think the impact would be far less since there won't be much to talk about anyway...esp with another lockout that could happen.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:32 AM   #115
djb
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I'd assume every regular poster is very grateful to have been able to post on these boards for so long. Markus may be right that db.com has more traffic, but the quality of posting here was and is far, far superior.

Dare I suggest shutting the boards down when the season ends? Just seems kinda weird to do it smack dab in the middle. Once the season ends, then I think the impact would be far less since there won't be much to talk about anyway...esp with another lockout that could happen.

That's definitely not out of the question. I'm still waiting to hear back from our admin on whether or not the site could remain fully functional on a shared setup.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:14 PM   #116
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Avery is an idiot.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:21 PM   #117
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

We need to trade Josh Howard. Good times. Lol
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:23 PM   #118
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks djb....this has been fun and I'll miss everyone and the great discussions/debates!
This has truly been the best site for Mavs talk that I've ever been on and hope I'll find something close to the same entertainment value and quality.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by rimrocker; 01-27-2016 at 01:25 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 02:44 PM   #119
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

I will miss this site if it closes.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:23 PM   #120
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'm not calling you out and demanding that you simply hand it over, and I'm certainly not unaware as to what's involved in either the money or time commitment department. I've been involved in a very large, high-traffic online gaming forum myself that is similar in many ways to this forum for more than 15 years. Sadly, it came to an end in November 2015 because the person who owned the domain name and who was hosting the dedicated server decided that he didn't have the time or desire to be involved anymore, and when some others requested that he give them admin permissions, so they could take care of the day-to-day operation, he just pulled the plug. Kind of a take the ball and go home attitude. Nothing was transferred or allowed to continue because the domain name holder just turned it off. He left the entire community in the lurch. This wasn't the desire of even a small minority of the community. One person made this decision, and it impacted ten thousand + of members.

While it is certainly your right to terminate the forum because you own the domain name, I don't think you have any ownership rights over the community that coalesced around the forum you provided. The community is made up of Maverick fans for the most part and even the Dallas Mavericks don't own them. While I commend you for notifying the community and stating your specific reasons (and I don't disagree with you in your assessment of Cuban), I am thinking more about the community itself that would be cast adrift if the site were simply turned off. I am sure I'm a bit more sensitive to this considering what I've already experienced and related above. I'm just thinking about the people left behind. That's the only reason I'm saying anything. I've certainly got other things on my plate that are more important than putting myself in a position to be called out as an entitled troll. LOL If I didn't think there was something worth preserving from the fruits of your endeavor, then I wouldn't have said anything. In the end, it's really about the people here and not about Cuban or even the Maverick players.

Again, it's your decision, and I certainly don't dispute that.

Best of luck in your future endeavors,
Turin

Last edited by turin; 01-27-2016 at 04:00 PM.