Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 05-23-2001, 11:01 AM   #1
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Larry Brown wins another award for Philly.

Brown Wins

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2001, 07:03 PM   #2
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I was pretty sure Nelson wasn't going to win but I had that hope, you know? What does concern me, is that Adelman received more votes than Nelson--how the hell? Adelman is a good coach but I think Dallas had a bigger turn around from last year.
Old 05-23-2001, 07:58 PM   #3
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

You're right MavsFanFinley. It's disgusting that Adelman took a 50 win team from last year and won 50 something games this year BUT got more votes than Nellie. I mean we ONLY made the playoffs for the first time in 11 years, and we were the only new team to make the playoffs in the West this year.

Larry Brown winning it just shows me that everyone had some kind of love-thing for Philly this year. 4 major awards - WOW!
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 11:34 PM   #4
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

Lets remember...not only did Nelly give the Mavs a huge turn around, but he also had cancer in the middle of the season. If you can come back from cancer and still coach your very young team into the playoffs, then I think he should have gotten some more recognition to say the least.
Old 05-24-2001, 11:36 PM   #5
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

Oh yeah...and the sixers winning 4 major awards, did everyone forget they are in the East? The competition is so much stiffer in the West. Dallas would have been the number 2 team in the East this season.
Old 05-24-2001, 11:44 PM   #6
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you guys mean. Nelson came back to help the team finish strong after his recovery from cancer.

Flying Tiger, your right, the east is weaker and yet Philly won COY, 6th Man, MVP and defensive player--doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Old 05-24-2001, 11:48 PM   #7
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

This year the Mavericks were 23-7 against the east, a .767 winning percentage. The Sixers were 40-14, a .741 winning percentage, plus they dropped off at the end of the season. The Mavs would have handily won the eastern conference this year...
Old 05-24-2001, 11:49 PM   #8
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

I agree...it wouldn't have been a contest.
Old 05-24-2001, 11:53 PM   #9
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

And of course, put the Mavericks in the east, and the MAVS are the amazing comeback team that soared to new heights to win the eastern conference... then the awards look a little different.

Coach of the Year- Don Nelson
Defensive Player of the Year- Shawn Bradley
Sixth Man of the Year- still Aaron McKie
MVP- Tim Duncan
Old 05-24-2001, 11:57 PM   #10
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

I say next year is Bradley's
Old 05-24-2001, 11:59 PM   #11
MavsFanFinley
Guru

I hate to harp on it but Adelman receiving more votes has me more upset than Brown winning the award.

Dallas was like 3rd among teams that improved on more wins from the previous year--with 13. I can't remember the exact list but I know the Clippers were 1st--I think--with 16 more wins from last year. The Kings had a 11, I believe.
Old 05-25-2001, 08:04 PM   #12
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

Nellie was robbed. Surely the coach gets some credit for our best year since ummm a long time ago.