Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I hate everything.
That's just how they operate. They ALWAYS find a way to get what they want.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
That's just how they operate. They ALWAYS find a way to get what they want.
It is truly bizarre how teams around the league continue to help the Lakers facilitate good deals for themselves when equally viable (or sometimes even better) deals not involving the Lakers are available.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It is truly bizarre how teams around the league continue to help the Lakers facilitate good deals for themselves when equally viable (or sometimes even better) deals not involving the Lakers are available.
The only thing I can think of, which is ridiculously flawed, is the rising tide lifts all boats.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
The only thing I can think of, which is ridiculously flawed, is the rising tide lifts all boats.
If one is the kind of person to believe in conspiracies, that's actually not at all a bad theory.

Myself, I think a lot more is made of Lakers trades than they are worth. They have, and have had, a big payroll, a lot of attractive trade assets, a desire to win, and a willingness to take on even more salary. That's exactly the kind of team that is going to be a player when big names come up for trade.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Myself, I think a lot more is made of Lakers trades than they are worth. They have, and have had, a big payroll, a lot of attractive trade assets, a desire to win, and a willingness to take on even more salary. That's exactly the kind of team that is going to be a player when big names come up for trade.
That's true in general, but it doesn't explain very well why why teams consistently deal with the Lakers when comparable or better packages are available.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's true in general, but it doesn't explain very well why why teams consistently deal with the Lakers when comparable or better packages are available.
I guess we would have to be sure we knew that those packages were indeed available. Can't believe everything you read, and all that. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if some GM's/owners didn't have the balls to pull off some of those deals, after all. I mean, we always hear that these trades are very complicated things that take a long time to pull off, and that most of them that are discussed never come to fruition.

Again, who knows. But something like the above is a lot more reasonable to me than the notion that teams would make some sacrifice of their own best interests in order to help the Lakers--or any other team, for that matter.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #7
LonghornDub

Quote:
I guess we would have to be sure we knew that those packages were indeed available. Can't believe everything you read, and all that. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if some GM's/owners didn't have the balls to pull off some of those deals, after all. I mean, we always hear that these trades are very complicated things that take a long time to pull off, and that most of them that are discussed never come to fruition.

Again, who knows. But something like the above is a lot more reasonable to me than the notion that teams would make some sacrifice of their own best interests in order to help the Lakers--or any other team, for that matter.
I definitely agree that teams aren't knowingly sacrificing their own interests to help out the Lakers. That's why it's so fascinating to me.

There are probably several things at work here, but one possibility is just that the Lakers have had some particularly adept negotiators in their FO positions, specifically at GM. We certainly can't assume that all NBA GM's are created equal in terms of their ability to persuade others. Some people are just naturally better at getting what they want in an arms-length transaction.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 08-09-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:06 PM   #8
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If one is the kind of person to believe in conspiracies, that's actually not at all a bad theory.

The Gasol trade still smells like ass:

Quote:
The thing that really stunk with the Gasol deal was that the grizzlies asked over months for half of the Bulls S5 and picks etc just to trade Gasol months later over night (!!! no rumors, no putting him back on the market etc) for an expiring and the draft rights to Marc - who was a talented slightly overweight euro prospect and no one knew if the could really survive in the NBA). On top the Grizzlies had Cardinals **** contract and the Lakers had other expirings to absorb Cardinal but they didnt include him in the deal!
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awful thread, dwight to lakers: book it, maybe or maybe not, not gonna happen, time waste101, to book or not to book, waiting for guffman