Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-16-2015, 05:48 PM   #1
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

I know it's just the ESPN writers for the mavs, including BG IIRC, but they're all agreeing that Rondo made the offense stagnant. Theres only one ball and parsons needs it in his hands to be productive. When not in transition he is wasteful on offense bc he dribbles a lot and no one respects his pnr. Parsons production suffered when rondo was on the court. Obviously we're riding out the season with him but I hope he isn't here long term unless something changes on the court.

I know I'm going to get killed here.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:15 PM   #2
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
I know it's just the ESPN writers for the mavs, including BG IIRC, but they're all agreeing that Rondo made the offense stagnant. Theres only one ball and parsons needs it in his hands to be productive. When not in transition he is wasteful on offense bc he dribbles a lot and no one respects his pnr. Parsons production suffered when rondo was on the court. Obviously we're riding out the season with him but I hope he isn't here long term unless something changes on the court.

I agree. But I'm willing to give him another chance to make it right. Especially if our bench picks up with Amare. Rondo still learning the system.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:17 PM   #3
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

He needs to make quicker decisions. Its ok to probe the defense and see which way it bends but too often Rondo hangs onto and continues dribbling the rock for an extra beat or two. And also he needs to better recognize and make the RIGHT pass, even if it is the simpler, less fancy option. Kidd was a master and we're all somewhat spoiled having watched the guy here for years.

Now we have 4 guards who tend to over dribble. Granted, a big part of Monta's game is predicated on dribble drive and to create separation but at least thats purposeful.. Crisper ball movement on the perimeter should be a HUGE second half focus. It will lead to more open looks for everybody. One of my favorite parts of Parsons game is how economical he is in his movements- not a lot of wasted motion(except for the leg kick thingy of course)
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:11 PM   #4
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Obviously we're riding out the season with him but I hope he isn't here long term unless something changes on the court.

So again for the "Rondo sucks" group here:

WHO should be the PG in the future? Please tell me. And dont come with Dragic. Or some crazy big trade where we ship out Parsons or Ellis to get two significant player in return on the missing positions

Dirk
Chandler
Ellis
Parsons
Harris

So our options to get a PG after "letting Rondo go":

10-12m cap (remember, looks like the Lakers throwing a 20m max deal after Dragic)

or packing Felton with our late 1st

or with our 3m Mini-MLE

Awesome. So please tell me, who is this guy we are able to get for the PG position? Blabla Rondo isnt the perfect piece or fit - of course. But are there any BETTER options? I dont see them. And no, i also dont think this Wright&future 1st would have been enough to get Lawson.

Last edited by sefant77; 02-16-2015 at 09:14 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:19 AM   #5
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Awesome. So please tell me, who is this guy we are able to get for the PG position? Blabla Rondo isnt the perfect piece or fit - of course. But are there any BETTER options? I dont see them.
I don't see that there are any other reasonable options than Reggie Jackson/Patrick Beverly. Jackson actually would be odd as he is too young by Mavs' standards, also he doesn't help with outside scoring. Beverly mostly helps out with defensive effort but doesn't seem to have much upside, just solid player. These are the only 2 names I can come up with that are available if Mavs would consider letting Rondo go.

Thing to remember is that you won't see what Rondo really adds to the team until playoffs start. And also you don't know how much he would improve his game before next season - by improvement I mean adding J-Kidds 3 point shot.

I think all can agree that Rondo-Ellis-Parsons is an odd fit if neither one of them is coming off the bench. Rondo with 3PT scoring skills would help out but in the end I think all depends on how much Parsons is willing to reinvent himself into pure shooter. He doesn't seem to be much of a defender but he can also improve his rebounding.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goat offense, jameer nelson goat