Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 01-26-2020, 02:43 PM   #1
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kobe died in helicopter crash

wtf

Last edited by sefant77; 01-26-2020 at 02:44 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 02:44 PM   #2
LukaThaDon

LukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of light

Can't find anything on google, link?
LukaThaDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 02:45 PM   #3
LukaThaDon

LukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of light

I'm seeing some stuff now. Is this confirmed?

It appears it's on tmz but the site is experiencing technical difficulties. Although the fact that the link exists pretty much confirms it. Wow.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/01/26/kobe-...-in-calabasas/

Edit: link works now

Last edited by LukaThaDon; 01-26-2020 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:55 PM   #4
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Holy shit. RIP to one of the greats. Terrible news
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:03 PM   #5
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Holy shit. RIP to one of the greats. Terrible news
This
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:00 PM   #6
LukaThaDon

L.A. Times article I guess before they knew who was on the helicopter but a local ABC affliate confirmed Kobe was on it. Happened at 10 am this morning.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...near-calabasas
Old 01-26-2020, 03:05 PM   #7
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

So sad... leaves his wife and four daughters. Very sad news. Prayers for him and his family
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:14 PM   #8
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

I just heard about this from my mother. I'm in shock right now. It's hard to hate a dead guy. Now I'm looking at all of the good things he did instead. I hated him mainly because he was so damned good. The Mavericks simply could not beat the Lakers in L.A. The first time it looked like we were going to end the streak we entered the 4th quarter with a 30 point lead. What did Kobe do? He took over as Kobe was notorious for doing. Then there was that game in which he scored 62 points in 3 quarters against us. I remember the Mavericks had 61 points to his 62. Should I hate him for being so good? Probably not. RIP Kobe. Thanks for giving me someone to root against.

Last edited by NeedlesKane; 01-26-2020 at 03:16 PM.
NeedlesKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:24 PM   #9
tgfan
Golden Member

tgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
I just heard about this from my mother. I'm in shock right now. It's hard to hate a dead guy. Now I'm looking at all of the good things he did instead. I hated him mainly because he was so damned good. The Mavericks simply could not beat the Lakers in L.A. The first time it looked like we were going to end the streak we entered the 4th quarter with a 30 point lead. What did Kobe do? He took over as Kobe was notorious for doing. Then there was that game in which he scored 62 points in 3 quarters against us. I remember the Mavericks had 61 points to his 62. Should I hate him for being so good? Probably not. RIP Kobe. Thanks for giving me someone to root against.
For me, it is hitting me like it did when Dale Earnhardt died in that crash. It's just so sudden and final. I am a big racing fan, and although I would root against him, his personality was so strong and he was interviewed on TV so much, that I felt like I knew him like one might know a fairly close friend. I shed tears for both of them and their families.
tgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:16 PM   #10
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

wat

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:17 PM   #11
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

LeBron just passed him on the all-time points list yesterday. That's crazy.

Old 01-26-2020, 03:29 PM   #12
LukaThaDon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
LeBron just passed him on the all-time points list yesterday. That's crazy.
Kobe tweeted to Lebron about 12 hours before his own death.

Old 01-26-2020, 03:29 PM   #13
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just in total shock. I may have hated his guts over the years, but goddamn if the NBA wasn't far more interesting with him in it. I feel so terrible for his kids. 41 is way too fucking young. This is awful.

RIP to one of the top 10 greatest to ever play the game.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:32 PM   #14
GhostFace
Platinum Member

GhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant future

I still can't wrap my head around this. I've not been on here in a long time. Had to come and share in commiserations. I hated him growing up, but respected him as I got older. Absolutely shocking and so young too. Just awful. RIP to one of the best.

"What Dirk is doing is legendary stuff, this is a joke how good this man is" - JVG
GhostFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:32 PM   #15
LukaThaDon

Full coverage of Kobe's death is on ESPN 2 if anyone is interested.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:43 PM   #16
LukaThaDon

It's hard to believe it was just a few weeks ago that Luka was inbounding the ball and he said "someone was talking trash to me in Slovenian" and he turns around and it was Kobe and Luka gives him 5.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:03 PM   #17
LukaThaDon

Woj just confirmed Kobe's daughter was also in the helicopter they were going to one of her games. She was 13.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:11 PM   #18
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukaThaDon View Post
Woj just confirmed Kobe's daughter was also in the helicopter they were going to one of her games. She was 13.
Wow. Just wow.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:51 PM   #19
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukaThaDon View Post
i think Kobe was the coach...
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:05 PM   #20
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I never understood the hate that the Kobe and Shaq team of the early 2000s got. They were as much fun to watch as any team to every play.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:23 PM   #21
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I never understood the hate that the Kobe and Shaq team of the early 2000s got. They were as much fun to watch as any team to every play.
We hated them because they were so much f*king better then everyone else. And they knew it too.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:25 PM   #22
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
We hated them because they were so much f*king better then everyone else. And they knew it too.
This.

Old 01-26-2020, 04:12 PM   #23
LukaThaDon

Old 01-26-2020, 04:21 PM   #24
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Jesus Christ, his 13 year old daughter too. This is just fucking horrible.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:05 PM   #25
LukaThaDon

There will be a L.A. press confeence in 25 minutes on ESPN 2.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:43 PM   #26
LukaThaDon

L.A. sheriff just confirmed there were actually 9 on board instead of 5.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:52 PM   #27
mavsjunkie
Golden Member

mavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to all

RIP
Old 01-26-2020, 07:25 PM   #28
Underdog

Never forget: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIBvkNye1iI

Old 01-26-2020, 07:30 PM   #29
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Or how about when he dropped 62 on us in 3 quarters.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:36 PM   #30
Underdog

Quote:
I kinda tried to forget about that one.

Old 01-26-2020, 09:20 PM   #31
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yeah he was going for 80 plus that night if he wanted it.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:06 PM   #32
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I literally cried today when I saw him and his daughter in a pic.

I always disliked how he got reffed, but he was almost like a friend.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:32 PM   #33
Underdog

Kobe trash-talked Luka Doncic in Slovenian at the Lakers vs. Mavericks game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd3c...ture=emb_title

Old 01-26-2020, 08:56 PM   #34
BPo001
Diamond Member

Breaking: @Dallas Mavericks and @Mark Cuban announce that in honor of the late #KobeBryant ..'Kobe’s legacy transcends basketball, and our organization has decided that the number 24 will never again be worn by a Dallas Maverick.'
Old 01-26-2020, 09:19 PM   #35
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Breaking: @Dallas Mavericks and @Mark Cuban announce that in honor of the late #KobeBryant ..'Kobe’s legacy transcends basketball, and our organization has decided that the number 24 will never again be worn by a Dallas Maverick.'
I’m hurt like a lot of people but I’m not sure if this is the time for Cuban to do this.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:09 PM   #36
ChileanMavsFan

ChileanMavsFan is a glorious beacon of lightChileanMavsFan is a glorious beacon of lightChileanMavsFan is a glorious beacon of lightChileanMavsFan is a glorious beacon of lightChileanMavsFan is a glorious beacon of lightChileanMavsFan is a glorious beacon of lightChileanMavsFan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
I’m hurt like a lot of people but I’m not sure if this is the time for Cuban to do this.
I agree. Really sad news (to me the specially sad part is his daughter dying as well who was only 13), but I'm not a fan of him doing this today.
ChileanMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:14 PM   #37
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileanMavsFan View Post
I agree. Really sad news (to me the specially sad part is his daughter dying as well who was only 13), but I'm not a fan of him doing this today.
Me either man. From his statement to this move. Just not the time.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:57 PM   #38
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

I have to admit that celebrity deaths generally do not effect me emotionally at all, but when I heard the news, the first thing it made me think of was seeing him on the sideline with his daughter at that last game, and I instantly felt gut punched over her death.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:22 AM   #39
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Me either man. From his statement to this move. Just not the time.
It screams "look at me"...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:51 PM   #40
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I’m saddened by this but what Cuban is doing is silly. Are they going to do that every time an NBA legend dies?

Last edited by Murphy3; 01-26-2020 at 09:51 PM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote