Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 02-26-2021, 10:07 PM   #1
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trade Ideas/ Speculation 2020

Mentioned this in a game thread and figured it might deserve its own spot for discussion.

There's lots of noise regarding the Hawks moving on from John Collins. Apparently they don't want to pay him what he'll get as an RFA, especially with several large contracts (Capela, Gallinari, Bogdanovic) on the books and a highly touted rookie who plays the same position (Okongwu).

My suggestion is we trade Jalen Brunson and a filler (Iwundu) for Collins now. Brunson has an extremely team friendly deal for next season, and wouldn't require an extension until Rondo is off the books. The Mavs fill a sizable hole in their P&R game and get more flexibility with the Porzingis situation.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:22 PM   #2
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

On what planet are we getting Collins for Brunson?

Travis Schlenk isnt trading Collins to the Mavs, waaay too much potential for it to backfire again. He also doesnt let him walk to the Mavs in the FA if we give him an offer sheet. They match and trade him later if they dont like the contract.

And Okongwu looks like crap and was drafted too high anyway

Last edited by sefant77; 02-27-2021 at 06:23 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:00 PM   #3
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Kevin O’Connor: I’ve heard two other teams that could be connected to JJ (Redick) and a potential trade and that’s Denver, and Dallas. – via Chris Vernon, Kevin O'Connor @ The Ringer
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:06 PM   #4
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Cant see it with redicks 13m salary. I dont think we are trading JJ for him because JJ has his place and value on this team.

But would be a sneaky good trade if they are dumping Powell for Redick. But they would have to add value and i also dont know why the Pelicans would do that.

Last edited by sefant77; 03-03-2021 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:20 PM   #5
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Malik Monk is RFA this offseason if I’m not mistaken. Looking like a young Lou Williams. Would anyone here roll the dice on him at 15m or so and let JRich walk? Would Charlotte match? The have Ball, Rozier, Graham. Maybe SnT?

Not saying I would do it, just curious what people think. THT from LaL is another interesting RFA.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:29 PM   #6
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

The Mavericks are one team interested in trading for Kevin Love, per
@ChrisFedor

They believe Love will help with their 3-point shooting and rebounding issues.

Per Chris Fedor of Cleveland.com, the Mavs are sniffing around what seems like a possible Cleveland Cavaliers’ fire sale, with Love among the targeted names.

Among the attractions: Love, in theory, would team nicely with All-Star Luka Doncic, would fix some of the problems this year’s Mavs have had with three-point shooting, and would cure some rebounding woes as well.

Fedor writes:

"A source with knowledge of the Mavericks' thinking suggested Kevin Love as a much better fit [than Andre Drummond] given the team's 3-point woes and desire to surround MVP candidate Luka Doncic with shooters. Love would also help boost Dallas' problematic defensive rebounding metrics. Still, the Mavericks have two appealing expiring contracts—Tim Hardaway Jr. ($18 million) and James Johnson ($16 million)—that would help facilitate a deal."
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:11 AM   #7
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
The Mavericks are one team interested in trading for Kevin Love, per
@ChrisFedor

They believe Love will help with their 3-point shooting and rebounding issues.

Per Chris Fedor of Cleveland.com, the Mavs are sniffing around what seems like a possible Cleveland Cavaliers’ fire sale, with Love among the targeted names.

Among the attractions: Love, in theory, would team nicely with All-Star Luka Doncic, would fix some of the problems this year’s Mavs have had with three-point shooting, and would cure some rebounding woes as well.

Fedor writes:

"A source with knowledge of the Mavericks' thinking suggested Kevin Love as a much better fit [than Andre Drummond] given the team's 3-point woes and desire to surround MVP candidate Luka Doncic with shooters. Love would also help boost Dallas' problematic defensive rebounding metrics. Still, the Mavericks have two appealing expiring contracts—Tim Hardaway Jr. ($18 million) and James Johnson ($16 million)—that would help facilitate a deal."
IF he could stay healthy, huge if, I don’t doubt that Love could improve the team. But trading Hardaway for him is a non-starter for me. They’d have to take on Powell, Johnson and give us a pick or a young player we like. He makes 30m at age 34-35. He has two more years after this one on his contract. I’d do it if they give us Garland as well.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:44 AM   #8
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
IF he could stay healthy, huge if, I don’t doubt that Love could improve the team. But trading Hardaway for him is a non-starter for me. They’d have to take on Powell, Johnson and give us a pick or a young player we like. He makes 30m at age 34-35. He has two more years after this one on his contract. I’d do it if they give us Garland as well.
I actually find it funny because the Mavs feel as tough Drummond doesn't fit with KP.

Yet if the rumor is true what makes them think Love and KP would fit especially on defense?

But that seems so Mavs like always picky on the type of players that they want while actual contenders will just grab players with talent and figure it out later.

It's not even about the money for me, it's just the type of players the Mavs would typically go after as opposed to what they actually need on the roster year end and year out.

So, I could see Reddick or Love here after the deadline instead of a two way player who would fit the roster better.

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-07-2021 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:13 AM   #9
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

KP and Drummond fit on exactly one aide of the court (defense)

KP and Love fit on exactly one aide of the court (offense)

I don’t think I’d take either
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:05 PM   #10
Dallas41
Diamond Member

If this happens the league is turning into a joke.

I mean you might as well gift wrap the Lakers another title with that type of size up front.

The Lakers are optimistic that Andre Drummond will sign with them if he’s bought out.

(per Marc Stein)
Old 03-08-2021, 09:11 PM   #11
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
KP and Drummond fit on exactly one aide of the court (defense)

KP and Love fit on exactly one aide of the court (offense)

I don’t think I’d take either

That's fine but I just don't get it

Drummond and A.Davis fit together but Drummond & KP is allegedly God awful together

That type of thinking by the mavs Front office is exactly why they will continue to get hammered on the glass & in the paint while the Lakers are going against the trend and possibly going even bigger up front while other teams continue to downsize.

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-08-2021 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:29 PM   #12
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
That's fine but I just don't get it

Drummond and A.Davis fit together but Drummond & KP is allegedly God awful together

That type of thinking by the mavs Front office is exactly why they will continue to get hammered on the glass & in the paint while the Lakers are going against the trend and possibly going even bigger up front while other teams continue to downsize.
I mean do you really want to compare AD to KP?

AD is one of the best defenders the NBA has ever seen and top ten in the league while being a skilled offensive player.

KP is a mediocre offensive threat and in the bottom ten in bigs when measured by DBPM.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 03-08-2021 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:14 PM   #13
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

It's always been very confusing to me that a few people here or anywhere seem to ultimately think that Drummond would somehow get in KP's way. Like we are going to lose out on so much all around game and turn KP into a perimeter player. He already does that to himself. The 2 potential things that counter any negativity on that duo is, if Drummond passes out of the post threat, then KP ends up with better looks from perimeter, instead of the half court heaves. Also, the rebounding. Rebounding helps I hear.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 04:07 PM   #14
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

I’m not sure how Drummond can’t help this team win. It’s not like him and KP have to play all their min together either, but it sounds like he’s either heading to Brooklyn or LA anyways.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:56 PM   #15
mac222b
Diamond Member

It would depend on what Drummond you’re getting. He has become higher usage, less efficient and prone to turnovers. If he would stick to roll, defense and rebounding he’d be fine. It’s similar to the Dwight Howard conundrum. Combination of ego/intelligence issues keep some from realizing their best self.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:01 PM   #16
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
I’m not sure how Drummond can’t help this team win. It’s not like him and KP have to play all their min together either, but it sounds like he’s either heading to Brooklyn or LA anyways.
I'd say kick the tires, but I'm not sure why any team that Drummond doesn't want to play for would actually pay the Cavs to get him for 40 games, just to have him walk this offseason.

And even if he only costs you a second-round pick, you still have to match salary so:

1) KP for Drummond
2) THJ for Drummond
3) Johnson, Powell, at least one more pick for Drummond

Johnson/Powell and a second rounder would be a steal. Johnson/Powell and three second rounders for a guy who probably plays 40 disinterested games? I'd pass.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 03-09-2021 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:34 PM   #17
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
It's always been very confusing to me that a few people here or anywhere seem to ultimately think that Drummond would somehow get in KP's way. Like we are going to lose out on so much all around game and turn KP into a perimeter player. He already does that to himself. The 2 potential things that counter any negativity on that duo is, if Drummond passes out of the post threat, then KP ends up with better looks from perimeter, instead of the half court heaves. Also, the rebounding. Rebounding helps I hear.
Yep that was my reasoning (Rebounding).

I'm not debating if KP is better than AD we all know he's not a better player.

I'm debating how come the Lakers don't feel Drummond would get in AD's way on the floor and yet the Mavs feel Drummond would hinder KP.

AD and KP have matching styles of play on offense where they are both stretch big's allowing Drummond freedom inside the paint. AD is a better post player than KP by far but if you had Drummond in Dallas doesn't that limit the amount of post up's you give KP especially since Rick said the Post up shot is not a good shot for KP?

I don't think Drummond would cause issues, I think that is just a crop of an excuse some fans will give because Drummond has never had issues in the locker room or with teammates.

Dude could eat up 24 MPG here and still be effective for this team simply because of his rebounding. Imagine how many limited 2nd chance points the Mavs would all of sudden hold teams to with Drummond clearing the boards.

How quickly Mavs fans forget how much Rudy Gobert and Emid, Kanter and Jokic destroyed this team inside because we can't keep them off the glass and we don't any bigs on the roster strong enough to match their strength inside.

For all the knock on Kanter about his lack of defense and limited range on offense for some reason dude is always balling out for Portland inside the paint. He basically bullied the Mavs and laughed at DFS the last game trying to get physical with him inside.

But hey maybe they trade for Kevin Love to fix the rebounding issues that has been the hot rumor lately.

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-09-2021 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:50 PM   #18
BPo001
Diamond Member

I sure we don’t trade for Love. Buyout option? Sure. But trade? Not with that contract.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:33 PM   #19
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Wonder what Bamba would cost?
Old 03-09-2021, 11:41 PM   #20
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
I sure we don’t trade for Love. Buyout option? Sure. But trade? Not with that contract.
That’s exactly how I feel. That contract is just gross. I think he could be useful but if we have issues with KP availability, Love is next level injury prone.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:17 PM   #21
BPo001
Diamond Member

The San Antonio Spurs and veteran power forward/center LaMarcus Aldridge have mutually agreed that he will not return to the team, coach Gregg Popovich announced Wednesday night.

The Spurs are engaged on several fronts with potential trades for Aldridge and believe they can find a deal -- perhaps even in the next week -- and avoid the need to negotiate a contract buyout, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

If there's no trade for Aldridge before the March 25 trade deadline expires and a contract buyout does come into play, many of the league's top teams are privately expressing interest in adding him as a free agent, sources said.

NBA Power Rankings: The questions, stars and matchups that matter in the second half
Aldridge, 35, a seven-time All-Star, has been given permission to "work on some opportunities elsewhere," although he officially remains on the Spurs' roster for now. He has an expiring contract with a $24 million salary.

Last edited by BPo001; 03-10-2021 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:02 PM   #22
sefant77
Guru

Im 99% sure that Dwight Powell isnt with the team anymore next july.

Just wondering if they trade him at the deadline at the beginning of the free agency
Old 03-18-2021, 02:44 PM   #23
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Im 99% sure that Dwight Powell isnt with the team anymore next july.

Just wondering if they trade him at the deadline at the beginning of the free agency
D Powell will be here until he retires, and will go on to work in the front office in some capacity. I really like the idea of the latter.

Old 03-18-2021, 06:19 PM   #24
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
D Powell will be here until he retires, and will go on to work in the front office in some capacity. I really like the idea of the latter.
How soon can he start?
Old 03-18-2021, 07:17 PM   #25
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
How soon can he start?
If it were up to us, he would be report immediately. Lol

But the fans clearly don't recognize the greatness that MBT does in DP.

Last edited by SMC0007; 03-18-2021 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-19-2021, 09:20 AM   #26
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Harrison Barnes was the same and they dumped his ass.

If they need his 11m in the offseason to sign someone they really like then he is gone. They know he is now 3rd in the center rotation and 5th in big men rotation

Last edited by sefant77; 03-19-2021 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:20 AM   #27
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Harrison Barnes was the same and they dumped his ass.

If they need his 11m in the offseason to sign someone they really like then he is gone. They know he is now 3rd in the center rotation and 5th in big men rotation
He has 2 more years on his contract after this season.

Old 03-19-2021, 11:44 AM   #28
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
He has 2 more years on his contract after this season.
and his 2nd year is just guaranteed for 6m, so its basically trying to dump 17m in salaries.

Im certain they are going to set up potential Powell trades in the days before the FA in case they want to use more cap space. Presti (and maybe 1-2 other rebuilding teams) are going to tell the Mavs the pricetag for this.

Last edited by sefant77; 03-19-2021 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-19-2021, 03:12 PM   #29
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
and his 2nd year is just guaranteed for 6m, so its basically trying to dump 17m in salaries.

Im certain they are going to set up potential Powell trades in the days before the FA in case they want to use more cap space. Presti (and maybe 1-2 other rebuilding teams) are going to tell the Mavs the pricetag for this.
I want to be as certain as you are.

Old 03-20-2021, 10:09 AM   #30
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

I am wondering if the Mavs should explore a trade with OKC and Al Horford. Horford has a contract through the 2022-2023 season for around $27M per year. OKC has recently been giving significant playing time to Moses Brown, Isiah Roby, and Mike Muscala at the 5 and that might signal the future for the Thunder. OKC might be a team that would be willing to take on the smaller contract of Dwight Powell along with JJ and perhaps one of the young rookies, likely Tyrell Terry. I like this idea because Horford + KP would be a great combination that may or may not spend much time playing together, but rather would allow both to have the rest they seem to need (e.g. back-to-back games). Also, those games when KP's shot is not falling, the Mavs would have a back-up that could do some of those same things (shoot the 3; rebound; play adequate defense). Horford also gives the Mavs a big body that would come in handy against teams with more physical line-ups and a veteran presence that could help KP elevate his game. Why would OKC do this? Other than the salary dump and the potential of a young rookie like Terry, I am not sure they would. Perhaps you bring in a third team interested in THJ that could add some draft picks to OKC.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:28 AM   #31
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
I am wondering if the Mavs should explore a trade with OKC and Al Horford. Horford has a contract through the 2022-2023 season for around $27M per year. OKC has recently been giving significant playing time to Moses Brown, Isiah Roby, and Mike Muscala at the 5 and that might signal the future for the Thunder. OKC might be a team that would be willing to take on the smaller contract of Dwight Powell along with JJ and perhaps one of the young rookies, likely Tyrell Terry. I like this idea because Horford + KP would be a great combination that may or may not spend much time playing together, but rather would allow both to have the rest they seem to need (e.g. back-to-back games). Also, those games when KP's shot is not falling, the Mavs would have a back-up that could do some of those same things (shoot the 3; rebound; play adequate defense). Horford also gives the Mavs a big body that would come in handy against teams with more physical line-ups and a veteran presence that could help KP elevate his game. Why would OKC do this? Other than the salary dump and the potential of a young rookie like Terry, I am not sure they would. Perhaps you bring in a third team interested in THJ that could add some draft picks to OKC.
Horford fits and I'd take George Hill with him.

Hill is solid 3 point shooter and reliable defender that they could use vs these PG's that keep torching them.

I think they are overrating Richardson dude has been avg at best this year and making 1-2 good defensive plays a game is nothing compared to when your getting roasted the rest of the game.

Bottom line is Mavs can't stop anyone when it matters and usually it starts with some PG or wing player always having their way vs our defenders.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:26 AM   #32
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

I would sell on Dorian Finney Smith. Great guy, great defender and has developed well in his time here, but ultimately if he can't consistently hit the corner three we're better off sacrificing his defense for a more well-rounded player. If we can get Aaron Gordon, Kyle Lowry, or Norman Powell, we should pull the trigger.
Old 03-22-2021, 12:50 PM   #33
BPo001
Diamond Member

Brad Townsend: Non-Mavs source says there is interest around the league in Dorian Finney-Smith. Doesn’t necessarily mean he’s available. Mostly means teams see bang-for-the-buck ($4M this season and next) and note a recent uptick in his play and spring in his legs since his post-COVID lull. – via Twitter townbrad
Old 03-22-2021, 12:52 PM   #34
BPo001
Diamond Member

The Mavericks have been the loudest rumored team for Fournier, with one potential package being James Johnson and two second-round picks, according to league sources

I swear we hear Fornier/Mavs talk ever season.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:51 PM   #35
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Marvin Bagley III Trade Rumors: Pistons Turned Down Kings Offer for Saddiq Bey

John Collins
While in the midst of a galvanizing eight-game winning streak led by interim head coach Nate McMillan, the Atlanta Hawks are becoming increasingly reluctant to move their starting power forward by the March 25 trade deadline, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Furthermore, the Hawks haven’t been overly thrilled with the offerings. For instance, the Dallas Mavericks proposed a package featuring sharpshooter Maxi Kleber, sources said.

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-22-2021 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-23-2021, 11:52 AM   #36
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Hypothetical: Mavs find themselves with no trade opportunity that the MBT deems will make a real difference this season. Should they make a play for Drummond or Aldridge as a defensive move that would prevent a buyout and them joining a competitor in the West (e.g. Lakers; Clippers; Warriors)? My thinking is that wouldn't Cleveland or San Antonio rather make a trade than simply let their player go? Perhaps the Spurs feel some loyalty to LA and would like to allow him to choose his team, but I doubt the Cavs feel that way about Drummond. One option would be the Mavs send a package including something like JJ, Burke, and WCS. It wouldn't be a 100% defensive move as there is some possibility Drummond or LA would make a contribution this season and/or sign with the Mavs in the offseason.

Is it worth losing JJ, Burke and WCS? Perhaps the MBT believes JJ has a role in the future for the Mavs, but I don't see it and would hate to see that big expiring contract just expire.
Old 03-23-2021, 11:57 AM   #37
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
Hypothetical: Mavs find themselves with no trade opportunity that the MBT deems will make a real difference this season. Should they make a play for Drummond or Aldridge as a defensive move that would prevent a buyout and them joining a competitor in the West (e.g. Lakers; Clippers; Warriors)? My thinking is that wouldn't Cleveland or San Antonio rather make a trade than simply let their player go? Perhaps the Spurs feel some loyalty to LA and would like to allow him to choose his team, but I doubt the Cavs feel that way about Drummond. One option would be the Mavs send a package including something like JJ, Burke, and WCS. It wouldn't be a 100% defensive move as there is some possibility Drummond or LA would make a contribution this season and/or sign with the Mavs in the offseason.

Is it worth losing JJ, Burke and WCS? Perhaps the MBT believes JJ has a role in the future for the Mavs, but I don't see it and would hate to see that big expiring contract just expire.
We aren’t contenders. I don’t see why we would trade players just to keep the Lakers from getting them. Everything I’ve seen is Drummond wants to be in Brooklyn. No sense in giving up assets for a 30 game rental.
Old 03-23-2021, 11:58 AM   #38
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
We aren’t contenders. I don’t see why we would trade players just to keep the Lakers from getting them. Everything I’ve seen is Drummond wants to be in Brooklyn. No sense in giving up assets for a 30 game rental.
An unhappy 30-game rental.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:09 PM   #39
SMC0007
Guru

Wouldn't John Collins be a rental as well?

Old 03-23-2021, 01:41 PM   #40
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
Wouldn't John Collins be a rental as well?
I think making a move for a player of that caliber you’d have to agree to an extension prior to making the trade.