Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 11-03-2003, 10:49 AM   #81
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:How about this for Ben Wallace?

FINLEY AND JAMISON kg? That;s a little riskiy....
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2003, 10:51 AM   #82
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

As much pub as the mavs get for "burning teams" on trades, I'm not sure Detroit would take anything less than Dirk. Could the Mavs survive without Dirk? As blasphemous as that sounds, our current squad minus Dirk and plus Ben Wallace might be slightly better.

Yikes, here comes the dogpile.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 10:52 AM   #83
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
As much pub as the mavs get for "burning teams" on trades, I'm not sure Detroit would take anything less than Dirk. Could the Mavs survive without Dirk? As blasphemous as that sounds, our current squad minus Dirk and plus Ben Wallace might be slightly better.

Wow kingrex, only 150 posts and already going for the knockout post, I respect that.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:52 AM   #84
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be tempted to do the same..

it would leave you with a starting lineup of:

Nash
Delk
Walker
Dirk
B.Wallace

bench:
Best - Delk
Daniels - Howard
Howard - TAW (i'd assume he'd be the man that came off the IR)
Najera-Fortson
Bradley-Fortson

As for trading dirk...well, I don't think you trade your best player...the only player on the team that is virtually unguardable

Dirk will make everyone else on the team SO much more efficient offensively simply by forcing teams to double him.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 10:53 AM   #85
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

Think about it though, offense is our whole game and w/o Finley and Jamison that's 30 something points gone; Wallace can't score and that's a fact.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:55 AM   #86
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

You have to give to get when you aren't trading with a crappy team. You tell me which lineup is better equipped to win it all:

Wallace - Bradley - Fortson
Nowitzki - Najera
Walker - Howard
Delk - Daniels
Nash - Best

OR
Bradley - Fortson - Najera
Nowitzki - Jamison
Walker - Howard
Finley - Delk
Nash - Best

Personally, I think it's the first one. That's a phenomenal rebounding squad that has a great interior defender and a good one off the bench, as well as athletic defenders on the perimeter. I don't see what's not to like, other than losing one of my favorite players in Finley. But as I've stated many times before, I'm a Mavericks fan first, and this trade would make the team better.

Old 11-03-2003, 10:56 AM   #87
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

MavsFanatik,

With Nash, Walker & Dirk (even Delk) you could argue that is enough offense to compensate for Wallace's (supposed lack), but we gain a solid defender and arguably the best rebounder in the Assn.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:57 AM   #88
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanatik33
Think about it though, offense is our whole game and w/o Finley and Jamison that's 30 something points gone; Wallace can't score and that's a fact.
He does play D. We have plenty of scorers.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:57 AM   #89
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex

Now you're talking about trading away a Top 5-6 player for a Top 15 player instead of two Top 40 players for a Top 15 player. That doesn't make much sense.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:57 AM   #90
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanatik33
You don't say 'this guy scores this amount of points and this guy scores this much so the guy coming in has to score that much'.
that's not how it works.

Yes, the mavs would lose some of their offensive fire power but they'd still have arguably their three best offensive threats.

Just a question..how many points did the mavs score before they had NVE and Raef? How many did they score afterwards? Obviously, the players they gave up scored less per game than the players they got. Yet, the offense didn't average 15-20 more points a game, did it?

'If' the mavs traded fin and jamison for wallace, you can be assured that Dirk would suddenly get 20+ shots a game. Nash would be taking more shots...Walker would get more looks.

It wouldn't fall on Ben Wallace to pick up all of the offensive slack that was lost by moving Fin and Jamison
Old 11-03-2003, 11:02 AM   #91
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

If that trade were made, I could see these projected point totals as realistic:

Wallace 10 ppg - Bradley 5 ppg - Fortson
Nowitzki 30 ppg - Najera 2 ppg
Walker 18 ppg - Howard 6 ppg
Delk 8 ppg - Daniels 6 ppg
Nash 18 ppg - Best 3 ppg

That's 106 ppg. I don't think I'm that far off. The Mavs would still be very good offensively.

Old 11-03-2003, 11:07 AM   #92
Murphy3
Guru

That Mavs would instantly be one of the best defensive rebouning teams in the NBA.. hell, one of the best offensive rebounding teams for that matter.

You could stick dirk at the 4 and leave him there for the most part...

obviously, no chance this happens...but,..hypothetically speaking
Old 11-03-2003, 11:11 AM   #93
kingrex
Platinum Member

Murphy,

You're right. No way Detroit takes that deal, but it's fun to speculate no less.

kg,

You're totals are right on, but how high do you think our rebs/game would be. As Murphy speculates this may make us the best in the NBA.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:15 AM   #94
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kingrex - Through 3 games, the Mavs are already top 3 in the NBA with the team they have. With Wallace, I'd look to see something like this:

Wallace 15 - Bradley 4
Nowitzki 10 - Najera 3
Walker 7 - Howard 2
Delk 3 - Daniels 2
Nash 3 - Best 2

That's like 51 boards a game. That's insane.

Old 11-03-2003, 11:17 AM   #95
kingrex
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
kingrex - Through 3 games, the Mavs are already top 3 in the NBA with the team they have. With Wallace, I'd look to see something like this:

Wallace 15 - Bradley 4
Nowitzki 10 - Najera 3
Walker 7 - Howard 2
Delk 3 - Daniels 2
Nash 3 - Best 2

That's like 51 boards a game. That's insane.
This is making me nuts! Alright, how can we make this happen. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

With this "fantasy team", will we be hands-down favorites to win the title?
Old 11-03-2003, 11:20 AM   #96
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
With this "fantasy team", will we be hands-down favorites to win the title?
No, but it would make it a two team race.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:25 AM   #97
kingrex
Platinum Member

I assume you mean the Lakers.

And what a race that would be.