Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-08-2004, 03:44 AM   #1
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

JLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enoughJLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enough
Default sefko on nellie and mullin

didn't read the whole article cause I'm tired right now, but got the jist of it. Love him or hate him, nellie's a pretty good guy.

Mullin tackled alcoholism with a Nelson assist

02:32 AM CST on Monday, November 8, 2004

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Seventeen years ago, Don Nelson pulled off the best coaching job of his career. It had nothing to do with basketball and everything to do with life. And it continues to bring him joy today.

A promising, young sharpshooter named Chris Mullin was starting his third season with Golden State. For two years, Mullin had teased the Warriors with his talent.

Nelson, who was hired as executive vice president of the Warriors before the 1987-88 season and a year later began coaching them, almost immediately heard rumors about Mullin.
[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Binge drinking had replaced basketball as Mullin's sport of choice.

"I'd heard reports of him drinking and staying up to all hours of the night," Nelson said. "He was constantly getting intoxicated and suffering all the after-effects that go along with that.

"I knew if something wasn't done, he never would have reached his potential as a player. Worse than that, he would have failed as a person."

Nelson refused to allow that to happen. With the blessing of Mullin's family and agent, Nelson told Mullin that he was wasting his talent and his life.

"He helped me confront it," Mullin said of his alcohol dependency. "The platform had to be laid out for me. It had to be me who followed through on it. But he put it on the plate for me rather than ignoring the situation. To have somebody there for that kind of support, to be there with you, it meant a lot."

So on Dec. 13, 1987, Mullin took a leave from the Warriors, went to a Los Angeles-area rehab clinic and got clean.

This is a story with much irony. Nelson is a man who dearly loves his adult beverages. But he knows there is a time and a place for everything. And he could have had no way of knowing back then that helping Mullin straighten out his priorities would pay dividends down the road.

Mullin now is executive vice president of basketball operations for the Warriors and has been the guiding force behind two major trades between Golden State and Dallas in the last two years.

When Nelson sees Mullin tonight, as the Warriors visit American Airlines Center, it will give him a warm feeling knowing he had something to do with Mullin's success.

After giving up alcohol, Mullin averaged more than 25 points for five consecutive seasons, became a five-time all-star, earned a spot on the original U.S. Olympic Dream Team and stamped himself as one of the best pure shooters in NBA history.

Perhaps none of it would have happened if Nelson had not intervened.

"He may have turned it around on his own," Nelson said. "We'll never know. I was just the guy who happened to be there when it was time."

Coaching is Nelson's life. He can't play a friendly game of barroom shuffleboard without schooling his partner on how to slide the weight.

It was simply in his nature to help Mullin when he saw a need. And thanks to the blessings of Mullin's mother and father, as well as agent Bill Pollack, Nelson was able to tackle the problem. And the problem had become obvious, starting with compulsive tardiness.

And that wasn't the only issue.

"He was irresponsible," Nelson said. "He was fatigued. He was forgetful. It was all well documented."

That's when Nelson called Mullin into his office to open a can of face-to-face tough love.

"He wasn't a happy guy," Nelson said. "And we weren't a happy team. He was a New York guy and didn't like being away from family and friends on the West Coast.

"I had all my ducks lined up. I knew what was going on, and I told him he had a serious problem. Chris didn't deny anything. He acknowledged that there was a problem. And he believed me when I told him I was thinking of him and the team. He knew the seriousness of it, and he was ready. A person has to be ready to make a change before anybody can talk to him about it."

And so, during a 22-game leave of absence from the team, Mullin went through therapy.

"Nobody knew what was going to happen," Mullin said. "I could have come out of it and been a worse player. He didn't know. I didn't know. To take that risk with each other and get my life back together was something I'll never forget. That support was everything. And still is."

Not that there weren't difficult times when Mullin returned. It was a struggle for a few weeks on the court. He was inconsistent.

"But the change in his life was great," Nelson says. "He was becoming stronger and stronger. And then he became the leader I needed for that team, him and Timmy Hardaway."

Mullin dedicated his life to fitness after that, spending hours in the weight room toning his body.

The discipline returned to his life, helping him reach great heights as a player and now helping him become a respected player-personnel executive around the league.

That the Mavericks and Warriors have been periodic trade partners is no surprise.

"You make deals with people you communicate with," Nelson said. "You're not going to talk to people you don't particularly like. And if you don't talk, you won't make deals. Chris has always been easy to talk to, and so we've made two or three deals with him. It's very gratifying to see the way his life has turned out."

And Mullin still considers Nelson a huge part of his life.

"I know Nellie probably as well as anybody, and there are a lot of nice, human things that he does that most people just don't see," Mullin said. "Sometimes he gets painted as a cold guy. But I know the other side. And I'll always appreciate that part of him. It's worked out to be a wonderful relationship.

"Who knows? It may have turned around for me anyway. But what really matters is that Nellie helped me at a really difficult time. And I am forever grateful."
JLEEHASMUCHGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2004, 09:04 AM   #2
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:sefko on nellie and mullin

Nice story. MullinĀ“s still a horrible GM though or whatever his title with the Warriors is.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 09:18 AM   #3
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all
Default RE: sefko on nellie and mullin

yes, if you look at what he's done this summer you'd think he's been drinking again [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2004, 05:48 PM   #4
Mavs4skin

Mavs4skin is on a distinguished road

Sometimes you have to do that when your rebuilding though. He hasn't been there long anyhow.
Mavs4skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 05:57 PM   #5
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Nelson to me has always been a great coach and seemed to be a good human being. This story affirms that he is a good human being. Wow Golden St. has lost a lot of talent over the years first Gilbert Arenas, then it was Antwan Jamison and presently its Erick Dampier.

jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 05:57 PM   #6
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I mean it just doesn't look like he knows what he's doing. He gave up Dampier which was going to happen anyway but gave him up for Najera but then just releases Laettner. If i'm Mullin I atleast try to mess with a team who has a talented player on their team who is overpaid and deal him for Laettner or see if they will atleast listen. Then he overpays for Fisher when he has Claxton already at the point. It's like he felt his team was a contender this year. And it doesn't look like this team will be getting better if stuff like this keeps happening. If this has been posted then just ignore it:

BETWEEN THEM, Jason Richardson and Troy Murphy have about 128 million reasons to smile these days.

They can thank their agent, superpower Dan Fegan, for that.

But the two young Warriors also have one big reason to be concerned in the aftermath of their monster contract signings.

And they can thank Fegan for that, too.

Negotiating $70 million and $58 million contracts is tough. You stretch some truths, go overboard in projections. ... Hey, it's what negotiations are all about.

But when you start making threats, you put your clients at big-time risk if: a) they're ever forced to act upon them; or b) the threats become public.

With the approval of his clients, Fegan threatened to make the Warriors' season a living hell, if Chris Mullin wouldn't come up in his extension offers. The rookie decision-maker wouldn't budge.

But then Fegan did something that turned the negotiations in his favor -- and very well could turn the fans against his players. He went public with his threat.

Under tremendous pressure, Mullin cracked during 13th-hour negotiations. He went up close to $5 million in each player's offer -- enough for Fegan to say yes to six-year agreements.

So now everyone knows: Richardson and Murphy were ready to sabotage the Warriors' season if Mullin didn't make them really, really rich rather than just filthy rich.

Forget about being team players and waiting until next summer, by which point Mullin could have pursued a star free agent, to sign the deals.

No, when these guys gave Fegan the thumbs-up on the threat, they made it clear: This wasn't about the team; this was all about the money.

Now they've got the money, but no dignity at all.

Sorry, guys. It's what happens when you align yourself with Fegan.

DATELINE: Inside Mullin's head. It's understandable why Mullin folded under the pressure. Think about it ...

You've brought in Mike Montgomery. You're talking playoffs. You're oozing in positive publicity on the eve of the season.

Imagine then if your two best players don't show up for the opener.

Poof. It's all gone.

It's exactly what Mullin was staring at when Richardson and Murphy admitted they stood behind Fegan's threat to demand trades if not re-signed.

Would you have gone to Plan B (extensions now, capped forever) under those circumstances?

I've got to say: I wouldn't.

Plan A was working well. Erick Dampier was sacrificed for cap room. Ray Allen, Michael Redd and Shareef Abdur-Rahim remain unsigned.

I call their bluff.

The Warriors need a star much more than two guys who threaten to walk if they're not paid like one.

And as restricted free agents, they're not going anywhere until the Warriors say they can.

Bottom line: As bad as Richardson and Murphy look, Mullin was the big loser Monday.

This is courtesy of the Oakland Tribune

Mullin just isn't using his head.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 06:16 PM   #7
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

old news..i think this happened 3 or 4 days ago

i would never have given jason richardson more than MLE.....he doesn't do anything ..he's a more athletic version of iverson

troy murphy doesn't deserve more than MLE either, he's a 10,10 guy and that's about it.....these guys are going to be obsessed with their numbers and drag the warriors down for about another 7 years
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 06:32 PM   #8
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: rakesh.s
old news..i think this happened 3 or 4 days ago

i would never have given jason richardson more than MLE.....he doesn't do anything ..he's a more athletic version of iverson

troy murphy doesn't deserve more than MLE either, he's a 10,10 guy and that's about it.....these guys are going to be obsessed with their numbers and drag the warriors down for about another 7 years
Ever since when has 4 days been old? If that's the case i'm a old geezer.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote