Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-08-2004, 11:20 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Former Mavs fan favorite Eduardo Najera has gone from Texas to California but hasn't been forgotten

Former Mavs fan favorite Eduardo Najera has gone from Texas to California but hasn't been forgotten

By Art Garcia
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

It's funny. Eduardo Najera doesn't have any regrets. Neither does Don Nelson.

Both maintain they're perfectly fine with the trade sending the overachieving and undersized power forward from the Mavericks to Golden State 2 1/2 months ago.

Why? Both agreed it was time to move on. No ill will. No hurt feelings. It was just time after four seasons together for Najera to get a new start and the Mavs' coach to go forward without the hustling fan favorite.

"I was surprised by the trade," Najera said last week from Oakland, Calif. "I wanted to stay in Dallas, obviously, but it felt like it was time for me to move. I was fine with it. It's not a negative thing, getting traded. Hopefully, it will be better for me in the long run."

Najera returns to his first NBA home as the 0-3 Warriors face the 3-0 Mavs tonight at American Airlines Center. Golden State has lost its past 11 games in Dallas.

Nelson's reasoning for signing off on the deal wasn't only about the Mavs receiving Erick Dampier in the multi-player swap. The Mavs coach also realized Najera had gone as far as he could in a Mavs uniform.

The former Oklahoma All-American never was the same player after surgery on his left knee in December 2002. At least not for the Mavs.

Though he claims he's now closer to 100 percent than anytime since the surgery, Najera struggled the past two seasons. He openly takes responsibility for returning too quickly, adding that the Mavs' staff never rushed him to come back.

"It was my decision," Najera said of the return in February 2003. "We won 60 games that season; I thought they needed me. I had a bigger role, I was playing more minutes, and I wanted to come back so bad, so I made that mistake."

Najera played in 58 games last season, averaging 3.0 points, 2.7 rebounds and 12.4 minutes per game. Those were his lowest numbers since his rookie season in 2000-01.

"He wasn't the same player after he started having knee trouble," Nelson said. "The little athleticism he lost hurt him. I wasn't able to play him as much I was would have liked to last year, but he's quite a trouper.

"I actually thought it was time for Eddie to move on. As much as I love the guy, I thought he was going to end up being [our] 10th, 11th, 12th guy. He was going to play very little unless that knee responded and he could get back to where he was the first or second year with us."

Najera said the toughest part of the transition wasn't the new coaching staff or teammates, but the actual move.

"I'm just trying to win some fans here," Najera said. "I love it so far. Everything is first-class. The only thing you have to worry about is just playing basketball.

"We have a young and very talented team, and the franchise is showing a lot of loyalty to the players by signing Jason Richardson and Troy Murphy [to contract extensions]. We're on the right track."

Najera, listed at a generous 6-foot-8, endeared himself to Mavs faithful with his gritty, relentless, sometimes pestering style.

Seemingly always overmatched physically, Najera never gave an inch, even when matched against Shaquille O'Neal, Tim Duncan or Kevin Garnett.

Dirk Nowitzki credits Najera's defense as one of the main reasons the Mavs advanced to the 2003 Western Conference Finals.

"He found ways to make an impact through his hustle," Nowitzki said. "He got the crowd into it. He was a big part of what we were doing the last couple years, and we were sad he was hurt for so long. We would have had a better year [last season] if he was available early."

Najera made a connection during his run with the Mavs -- and not just with the fans. Nowitzki, Michael Finley and Shawn Bradley consider their former teammate a close friend.

"It's a business, but you make friendships and relationships that will last," said Bradley, who talks with Najera at least once a week.

"It's more than just teammates; you become really good friends. Eddie was that to a lot of people around here."

Everyone, including Najera, expects it to be pretty emotional the first time he checks into the game tonight.

"I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a standing ovation," Finley said, "which is well deserved."

Najera has come off the bench in the first three games for Golden State, averaging more than six rebounds and five points.

"I can't wait," he said. "I hope I have a good game. I'm not trying to have the best game of my career or anything like that. I just want to have a good game and win that game. That's about it."

Funny, isn't it?
Old 11-08-2004, 11:22 AM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Former Mavs fan favorite Eduardo Najera has gone from Texas to California but hasn't been forgotten

I'm so glad that he's gone. Good riddance to mediocrity
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 11:30 AM   #3
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: Former Mavs fan favorite Eduardo Najera has gone from Texas to California but hasn't been forgotten

If only it could be applied to D-M.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:34 AM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Former Mavs fan favorite Eduardo Najera has gone from Texas to California but hasn't been forgotten

Chiwas, I think you've been grandfathered in....
Old 11-08-2004, 11:59 AM   #5
Chiwas
Guru

Default RE: Former Mavs fan favorite Eduardo Najera has gone from Texas to California but hasn't been forgotten

This is the definition of mediocrity for some...

Old 11-08-2004, 12:15 PM   #6
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm always amazed to see how much love this guy gets...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 12:26 PM   #7
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3

I'm just curious but what exactly did Najera do to you?

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 12:29 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Quote:

.....He injured my eyes with his fake hustle and his inability to know where to be on the defensive side of the ball. Yes, he could get in the passing lane and draw a charge, but he also had no idea when to double and often lost his man simply because he wasn't on the same page as everyone else.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:34 PM   #9
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I always liked Eddie. I'm glad to see him playing well in Golden State. I'm also glad we now have Alan Henderson as our backup PF.

Old 11-08-2004, 12:36 PM   #10
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Quote:

.....He injured my eyes with his fake hustle and his inability to know where to be on the defensive side of the ball. Yes, he could get in the passing lane and draw a charge, but he also had no idea when to double and often lost his man simply because he wasn't on the same page as everyone else.
And he was the only guy on this team that had this same problem last year? I understand you have some sort of frustration with Najera but does it have to continue now that he's no longer a Mav? And how do you fake hustle? When diving for the ball you can't fake hit the ground and scrape your elbows. I just think you are being a bit harsh on Najera. He's given us some nice defensive performances in the past against Webber, Duncan and Yao Ming.

1996-2005
Old 11-08-2004, 12:39 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

...and he's probably the most overrated player in the DFW area over the past decade.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:58 PM   #12
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Eduardo who? Never heard of that guy. Can he play?
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 01:30 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Fidel
Eduardo who? Never heard of that guy. Can he play?
From time to time...but not often.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:30 PM   #14
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Eddie is great, but he's undersized unathletic and can't play D. Eddie wouldn't be getting minutes on this club. Daniels, Howard, and even Henderson all do the little things to help a team win games.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 03:33 PM   #15
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Eddie..... can't play D
lol
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 03:50 PM   #16
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I always like Eddie, but I think it was time for him to move on and to be honest, I much prefer this team right now than to any when he was on the roster.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 04:04 PM   #17
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:
...and he's probably the most overrated player in the DFW area over the past decade.
Najera made a real difference his first couple of years in the league and especially in 2002 where his thumb injury contributed to the Mavs loss to the Kings. You have a short memory if you think Najera was average. He was the perfect compliment to the big three and was a layup machine until his knee injury. Murphy you just have to cling on to your hatred for Najera no matter what. You just can't help yorself.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 04:07 PM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

Najera's nothing more than a spare part on a below average team. How did the Mavs ever overcome his mediocrity? Much credit goes to the big three and to the Mantis.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:49 PM   #19
Chiwas
Guru

Old 11-08-2004, 06:50 PM   #20
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Keep 'em coming Chiwas.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

1996-2005
Old 11-08-2004, 08:12 PM   #21
DEAD4SUREAGAIN

DEAD4SUREAGAIN is on a distinguished road

At least he play more than you Murphy, and he also get much much more money than you in your entire life............You are just jealous of a so call mediocre guy from Mexico, who is loved by the fans and has a better life style than you...admitted.....losser....
DEAD4SUREAGAIN is offline   Reply With Quote