Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-19-2005, 07:39 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Craig James ESPN Insider Surprises

Anyone have the article? It looks like a good read. Bits on Vandy, Baylor, Tech, etc.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2005, 01:24 AM   #2
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of
Default RE: Craig James ESPN Insider Surprises

What the heck's going on with … where do we start?

Craig James will be in the ABC Sports studio this Saturday for regional coverage at noon and 3:30 p.m. ET.
# ABC schedule
# ABC Sports Online

How 'bout them Baylor Bears at 3-0? Cheers to my old New England Patriots teammate and current Big Bear on Campus, Guy Morriss. Guy is determined to get it right. Absolutely zero doubt in my mind that Guy knows how to coach and recruit. But I have to say that Guy-Mo is working with a shorter stick than other Big 12 schools when it comes to facilities. The Bears stadium is nice, but they play a few miles from campus. If Bears donors step up and build Guy what he needs, the players will follow.

Red alert to all SEC teams: Vandy is off to a 3-0 start and are fired up. Matter of fact, the 2-0 conference start is the best by the team since 1956. QB Jay Cutler is for real, and it will be interesting to observe the next phase of growth for Vandy. They will have to learn to expect to win and that means thinking about football 24/7. Congrats to coach Bobby Johnson and his staff.

Elvis is jammin' in Louisville. That would be Elvis Dumervil, the defensive end who had three more sacks this weekend to bring his two-game total to nine. That's a new record (the old record was owned by Georgia Tech's Pat Swilling). I'm sitting there watching Oregon State and Louisville, and at first I'm thinking this could be a game. The Beavers just couldn't hang with Dumervil and the Cardinals. UL quarterback Brian Brohm is a keeper, for sure.

I'll be surprised if anybody beats Louisville the entire season. But having said that, I don't think UL will play for the national title. A once-beaten Ohio State or Texas or Florida or Georgia or Tennessee or USC or Virginia Tech will all get more shots at the title than Louisville. Would that be fair? Who knows, but it will give us lots to talk about in November.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching Michigan State and Notre Dame play. What a game. Most of the smarty-pants analysts I respect all knew this would be a problem game for the Irish. So the fact that they fought and played their way back into the game speaks volumes about the change in heart by the Irish. And QB Brady Quinn has to be kneelin' bedside every night saying thanks for the arrival of coach Charlie Weis. Circle the media tents for the Trojans' visit to Irish land on Oct. 15.

On the other end of good was the Pittsburgh-Nebraska game. Hard to believe that Pitt is playing so badly. The team lines up to kick a game-winning field goal and misses not once but twice! I did notice that Cornhusker Nation is still turning out en masse during this rebuilding phase. Not surprised.

OK, so college football lost offensive genius Norm Chow (former BYU and USC dude) to the NFL. But that doesn't mean the game is void of another genius. I believe Mike Leach, in Lubbock with his Texas Tech Red Raiders, is off the charts when it comes to breaking in new QBs. This new tumbleweed dodger of a QB, Cody Hodges, did it again, firing away for 436 yards and four TDs. I'm tellin' ya, watch out for the Red Raiders.

Here's a tip of the hat to a few individuals:

Drew Weatherford, Florida State QB: Nice job by this young man, who didn't listen to the radio and print fellas and hung in there. That was a nice win for the Seminoles at Boston College.

Robert Johnson, Texas Tech WR: Johnson didn't get the nod at QB, so Leach put him at wide receiver and he had a pretty good day, with eight receptions and 209 yards. Did I mention coach Leach earlier?

Kellen Clemens, Oregon QB: Head coach Mike Bellotti hired a new offensive coordinator, Gary Crowton (former BYU head cheese and NFL offensive man). This new hodgepodge, spread'-em-out offense has taken rather quickly, and Clemens looks extremely confident. Clemons was 28-of-38 for 332 yards and four TDs, and he'll be ready to test the next level against the Trojans of USC next weekend. I'd love to be at that game, but I'll be watching via the tube.

There's this kid up in Madison, Wis., named Brian Calhoun who keeps running for over 100 yards. The dude looks good, and he's on pace to run for 1,900 yards. Sound familiar? Yes, UW has found another big-timer.

And before I go, we've all talked about the Irish so much that Michigan State probably hasn't received as much pub as it should have. QB Drew Stanton is the leader of that squad. Stanton was poised and remarkable on the road in a pretty tough environment.

Craig James is a college football analyst for ABC Sports and ESPN.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 08:25 AM   #3
Drbio
Banned

First of all....Thank you Chaffy!!!!

The Bears have a nice stadium? Since when? Did I miss something the last eleven years? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

I am looking forward to that USC-Notre Dame game. College football at its finest.

If Louisville goes undefeated and gets the Auburn treatment I will be very disappointed.

Nebraska fans deserve credit. Regardless of their team they will be there and they are knowledgeable. I enjoy hosting them here. Good fans.

I'm not ready to elevate Mike LEach to Norm Chow status but the guy is an offensive wizard it seems.

Thanks again Chaff....that was a fun read. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2005, 12:08 PM   #4
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Texas Tech gets hated on for their non-conference schedule... who cares.

The voters weren't giving them any love when they scheduled Ohio State, Ole Miss, NC State or TCU.

The raiders and Leach deserve a top 15 ranking. And I suspect they'll be somewhere around 10 when they come to austin Oct. 22.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:31 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Texas Tech is going to slaughter many teams this year. Book it.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:09 PM   #6
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future
Default RE:Craig James ESPN Insider Surprises

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Texas Tech is going to slaughter many teams this year. Book it.
I'm sure Leach will take it easy on your bears.

They'll only run it up a little bit [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img].
Old 09-20-2005, 02:26 PM   #7
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

We will slaughter teams mainly because we dont pull of until we have 70 points or more. Our fans are greedy. That was the first time i have seen fans complain about an offense that scored 80 points.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 01:12 PM   #8
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

The Irish have become fun to watch. The only difficult games left are at Purdue and USC.

The big 10 is very overrated. Iowa State popped Iowa. Notre Dame beat Michigan and Texas beat OSU. The big 12 maybe down as a conference,but so it the big 10. The ACC has to be the strongest conference.

The only thing really worth watching about Tech's nonconference schedule is will they hang a 100 on indiana state.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 02:19 PM   #9
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
The Irish have become fun to watch. The only difficult games left are at Purdue and USC.
Tennesse is through? I think they're overrated but not as overrated as ND. That should be a fun game to watch too.

Old 09-21-2005, 03:00 PM   #10
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly and I know im gonna get ripped for saying this but the pac 10 is the best conference. I have always thought they were weak but strength at the top is the most important and it doesnt get any better than USC. Best coach and most talent in college football. Cal is solid as has become the norm. Ucla is solid but beating OU really isnt that much of an accomplishment. UT will put 60 on OU. ASU is good. That was a terrible call. The td was not a catch. The oregon teams are ok. They arent the deepest conference but they are probably the best just because of USC. Then the Acc. Then the Sec, and Big 12. They are pretty close. Texas is better than any team in the sec but the sec has more depth. All 3 texas schools will end up top 25 though. Then the big 10. Then the Big east. The big east is basically a mid major conference now. The mountain west or Mac could seriously challenge them.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote