Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-01-2005, 05:18 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default October 1 College Football Thread

Rather than post another thread for another college game......

Alabama is whipping the crap out of #5 Florida.

Penn State is hammering #18 Minnesota

#11 Michigan State LOST to Michigan

Upset day or what?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2005, 08:50 PM   #2
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:October 1 College Football Thread

and florida lost which means fsu will move up to 4
a&m barely won (should have lost)
ND is dominating perdue

last but not least, UT still undefeated [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
51-20

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 09:03 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Default RE: October 1 College Football Thread

UT looked very solid today. I just finished watching the tape. I recorded it earlier to watch another game. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Also, ESPN gameday is doing a pretty good job of covering the games but some of their reporters are a little odd.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:10 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

BIG 12 NOTES:

Texas beats Mizzou 51-20. I'm not sure anyone in the conference can play within 10-14 points of UT right now. And yes, that includes OU next week.

Texas A&M over Baylor 16-13 OT. ouch. Great college football game. Props to the Ags for doing what it took to win. No excuses.

OU is just killing Kansas State right now and I am very surprised. Could OU have finally awakened from their opening funk to get it on track for UT?

Colorado unloaded on Oklahoma State who may not win a conference game this year.

Nebraska snuck by Iowa State in OT 27-20 in another great college football game. The highlights on this one were very good. Check ESPN tonight for those. There was an absolutely unbelievable catch in that game.

Looks like Tech is finishing off Kansas who has now played Tech very closely two years in a row. The Tech offense may not hit 30 which for them has to feel like a disappointment.

Old 10-01-2005, 09:20 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Rough day for the former SWC teams which I still follow too....

SMU lost to Marshall in OT 10-13.

Rice lost to UAB 26-45.

Houston is beating Tulsa and looks like they will win which is a pretty good win I think.

I guess Arkansas has a bye week. I didn't see ascore for them this week and I'm too lazy right now to look it up.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:24 PM   #6
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

i heard adrian peterson went down with an injury in today's gave vs kstate?
how hurt is he?

Contact Me
Old 10-01-2005, 09:38 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

alby - I got this off the AP Wire....

NORMAN, Okla. -- Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson left in the second quarter against Kansas State on Saturday night with an apparent foot injury.

Peterson, who finished second in the Heisman Trophy voting last year, left the game late in the second quarter and sat on a table on the sideline as trainers worked on his right foot. He tried to stand once, but took a seat again as trainers continued to examine him. At halftime, he walked off the field on his own, though he was limping noticeably.
He returned to the sideline in the second half, but did not play.
He had rushed for 51 yards on eight carries, including a 22-yard touchdown, before leaving.
Peterson was also treated for foot injuries in Oklahoma's last two games, but in both cases returned to play.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:54 PM   #8
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

There is no way the Hokies get through the season without a loss. Right?

Texas better hope so... Cause if it comes down to an unbeaten USC, an unbeaten UT, and an unbeaten VA TECH - the Horns are sure to get jobbed.

With victories over A&M and OU looking less impressive by the game, Texas better hope Ohio St. and TT go 10-1.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:00 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Is there any way if Texas wins out that they aren't in the big game? I don't see that happening cap. Since UT is the current #2 I see the Hokies getting the Auburn treatment.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:16 PM   #10
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

If Va Tech plows through the rest of the ACC - the eastcoast media will bump them up.

John Saunders (insignificant as he is) was bustin' out the presidential kneepads for Va Tech during the ABC studio show. And don't you just know all the commentators who picked Ohio St. are waiting for Texas to trip up so they can come back at the 'lucky' longhorns.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:20 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

I hate the eastern bias, but do you really think if UT runs the table they can rig the poll against them?
Old 10-01-2005, 10:30 PM   #12
capitalcity
Diamond Member

What will be 'rigged' about their votes when "Va Tech has beaten better competition, plays in a stronger conference, and has an equally electric player in Marcus Vick".

Texas fans can scream all they want, but their cries wont carry all the way to the coasts.

Let there be no doubt Texas needs to win and win convincingly to preserve the No. 2 ranking.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:33 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

I do like Vick. I honestly think he is better than older brother Mike. But I still think if UT wins out they get the nod. That VT team is badass though. Whatever happens, each team needs to win out.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:42 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: capitalcity
What will be 'rigged' about their votes when "Va Tech has beaten better competition, plays in a stronger conference, and has an equally electric player in Marcus Vick".

Texas fans can scream all they want, but their cries wont carry all the way to the coasts.

Let there be no doubt Texas needs to win and win convincingly to preserve the No. 2 ranking.
I haven't seen much that would make me believe that Marcus Vick is as equally electric as Vince Young.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 10:55 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Oddly enough, VaTech doesn't have a team on their schedule that has beaten anyone of note as of yet.

Va Tech's only true test of note this year will likely be Miami who will probably be a top 7-8 team when they play. Yes, they'll play BC and Virginia, but there's a good chance that neither will be ranked in the top 20-25 by the time that they play VaTech. So what will VaTech have to stand on? A win at home over Miami if they beat Miami? Is that more impressive than UT's win on the road against Ohio State? No, it's not. And the rest of VaTech's schedule isn't impressive enough to catapult them over UT in my opinion. It just won't be that difficult of a schedule by the time it's all said and done.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:32 PM   #16
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I heard one of the announcers say today that the acc was being recognized as the toughest conference now. Really? Ummmm no. Pac 10, SEC, are better and big 12 is pretty close. The other two Virginia teams are overrated and Miami isnt what they used to be. They are still a power but there if they lose to VT they will probably not be ranked in the top 10 any more. So that will leave VT with a schedule that features one ranked team for sure and MAYBE one other team that finishes the year ranked. The problem for them strength of schedule wise is that they need Miami to win in order to give them quality wins. Miami and them play most of the same teams and those teams already have 1 loss which means that they will end with 3 losses or miami will end with 3 losses which means that they will have no really good wins. Georgia Tech has Georgia, and Miami left. The ranked games they have left are Boston College, Miami and Virginia. Virginia has no prayer of ending the year ranked and I doubt BC does either. That leaves Miami and I believe that UT has a win coming that will cancel that out.

The other problem is that even excluding Miami alot of the teams that they need to finish ranked play each other and will in turn knock each other off. Even if they get lucky and one of those teams gets hot and manages to stay in the top 20, I dont think that they will have 2 teams that end the year ranked as high as OSU and Tech on their schedule. Tech will end the year ranked higher than Miami. Tech will have 1 loss to Miami's 2. In short they will both have 2 ranked opponents by the end of the year (if VT has that many) and Texas' will be ranked higher.

Marcus Vick is not as electrifying as Vince. Vince is electrifying because he is unique. Most scrambling Qbs are all about elusiveness. Vick fits into this category. Vince is as elusive as anyone but unlike most Qbs he can flat run over someone. The guy is an alien. He is THE most dangerous player in the NCAA running with the ball. Well Reggie Bush and him are right there together though their styles are so different. This is the matchup that everyone wants to see outside of Virginia and honestly it should be entertaining as hell. Texas D against USC O is actually a decent matchup for UT or at least as good a matchup as USC's O is for anyone. Texas biggest problem is a mobile Qb or a power running game neither of which is USC's strength. Should be as good of a fight as anyone could put up against USC and there is always the chance that Vince just goes nuts and runs for over 200 yards and Texas wins.

Jamaal Charles is a Hoss. Despite being a little guy he has incredible power for a guy his size. Did you see him lay Hawk out after the pick? I am really looking forward to that game even though I am a Tech student and would love to see us go undefeated.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 11:32 PM   #17
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Part of the trip post but I figured Id add something to this one. Also important thing to remember is Texas is already ahead and VT would have to make up ground against them, not just tie or even be slightly more impressive.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:32 PM   #18
Five-ofan
Guru

Crap the dreaded triple post
Old 10-01-2005, 11:45 PM   #19
Drbio
Banned

OMG...did you guys see the poor kid from Bama get his leg broken in two places?

Oh man that was Theisman-like bad. God help that poor kid. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2005, 12:18 AM   #20
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Oddly enough, VaTech doesn't have a team on their schedule that has beaten anyone of note as of yet.

Va Tech's only true test of note this year will likely be Miami who will probably be a top 7-8 team when they play. Yes, they'll play BC and Virginia, but there's a good chance that neither will be ranked in the top 20-25 by the time that they play VaTech. So what will VaTech have to stand on? A win at home over Miami if they beat Miami? Is that more impressive than UT's win on the road against Ohio State? No, it's not. And the rest of VaTech's schedule isn't impressive enough to catapult them over UT in my opinion. It just won't be that difficult of a schedule by the time it's all said and done.
Don't forget the conference championship games...

Assuming Florida St wins the Atlantic with maybe 2 loses (1 conf, at Fla), Va Tech could notch another "quality win". Beating a 3 or 4 loss Neb or Colorado won't do much for Texas.

The sad fact is by the time it's all said and done the win at OSU will be a distant memory for some voters.

P.S. I'm just playing devil's advocate about M. Vick.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:17 AM   #21
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
Tech will end the year ranked higher than Miami. Tech will have 1 loss to Miami's 2. In short they will both have 2 ranked opponents by the end of the year (if VT has that many) and Texas' will be ranked higher.
Despite today's ugly win, I still think the Raiders win next week. But after watching Nebraska - ISU I'm convinced the game will be a lot tougher than last year - and not just because it's in Lincoln. While Nebraska's D still ain't the blackshirts of old, they were flying to the football and pressuring the QB all game.

TT can be a 10 win team, but today goes to show they need to take it week by week.

Quote:
He is THE most dangerous player in the NCAA running with the ball. Well Reggie Bush and him are right there together though their styles are so different. This is the matchup that everyone wants to see outside of Virginia and honestly it should be entertaining as hell. Texas D against USC O is actually a decent matchup for UT or at least as good a matchup as USC's O is for anyone. Texas biggest problem is a mobile Qb or a power running game neither of which is USC's strength. Should be as good of a fight as anyone could put up against USC and there is always the chance that Vince just goes nuts and runs for over 200 yards and Texas wins.
The ABC color analyst mentioned how Pro scouts refer to Vince as a "2-step guy" (i.e. for every two steps he runs 5 yards). That was definitely illustrated when he converted the 3rd & 30 play. I still get awestruck by how he covers more ground than you think possible.

Runs like a deer is so cliché - but I honestly think it's sooo true when you talk about VY.

Old 10-02-2005, 10:07 PM   #22
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Wouldnt it be ironic if Virginia Tech knocks Texas out of the Championship game one year after Texas knocked Cal out of the Rose Bowl?
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 10:30 PM   #23
alby
Guru

I'm going out on the limb and calling a UT/VT championship game. USC will lose @ ND.

save this post.

Contact Me
Old 10-02-2005, 11:09 PM   #24
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my. Bad Karma vibes are running rampant in this thread.

Please, College Football god, don't pay attention.

Nothing to see here. Move along.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:18 PM   #25
Murphy3
Guru

Oddly enough, without beating anyone of note, VaTech has gained over 300 points on Texas in the AP poll even though UT has the biggest win of the season in college football beating Ohio State on their own field.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:54 PM   #26
Drbio
Banned

East. Coast. Bias.

Sickening.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:00 AM   #27
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't looked at the AP poll, but if Texas is still ahead of VaTech, there is nothing necessarily unusual about VaTech gaining points on them in the poll. It sounds like VaTech was gaining points at the expense of teams besides Texas.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:11 AM   #28
Drbio
Banned

Now that you mention it chummy you are right. The voters are probably putting VT at #3 now isntead of 4-10 or whatever and it raises their score exclusive of the UT or USC scores.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:19 AM   #29
alby
Guru

Florida lost, I'm sure those points went to VT and FSU

Contact Me
Old 10-03-2005, 12:24 AM   #30
Five-ofan
Guru

USC may lose but they are unquestionably the most talented team in the country. Some how they manage to have a heisman candidate who is the second best player on his own team at his position. That is an insane amount of talent. They have thunder and lightning except both parts are actually great. Young is a special player. He is just so dangerous as a runner because he is almost completely untackleable (is that a word?) one on one. If I was an opposing coach there is no player that I would want to see less with the ball in a one on one situation against someone on my D. He can run over or around you. The other thing is that even though you know he is fast as a defensive player, you take bad angles because he doesn't look that fast. He looks like a garden variety 4.6 or 4.7. Then you look at the people he is outrunning and he is a 4.4 type guy with great "football speed" The other thing about being a runner is that straight line speed ie 40 times arent anywhere near as important as people think. The most important part is that you have lateral quickness and a quick acceleration. Vince has both of those things. Essentially, USC is the best team. However, while Vince may not be the best player in the nation(though I think he is) he is the most dangerous.