Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-10-2003, 04:33 PM   #1
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default Stars give deadline to Turco to sign on the dotted line.

Stars give Turco deadline
By Mac Engel
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

FRISCO _ Dallas Stars general manager Doug Armstrong said Wednesday that if goalie Marty Turco has not come to terms by 8 p.m. Thursday that he will not make the trip with the National Hockey League team to training camp on Friday.

The team will meet for a players meeting Thursday at 8 p.m. They are scheduled to leave on Friday afternoon for Vail, Colo.

Currently Turco and the Stars are in negotiations for a new contract. Turco, who made $850,000 last season, is seeking a contract of around $4.5 million. The Stars appear willing to go no higher than $3.5 million.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2003, 04:46 PM   #2
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

I'm a guy that generally takes the owners' side in these things. But clearly, the Stars are not offering Turko market value. They aren't offering a long term deal and they arguably aren't even offering market value for a one year deal. I understand the impending labor strife, but a solid NHL goaltender is still going to be making $4M a year regardless of what happens. Turko is entitled to a multi-year deal and I think it is shortsighted for the Stars not to offer it to him.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 08:27 PM   #3
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

I can see both sides of this. If he has another good yr, he'll get his next summer after the labor thing is resolved. The Stars know to lock up the cornerstones. So while I'd prefer they go ahead & give him the multiyr now, I can understand that they're weary of the Theodore factor. I'm just very, very nervous b/c the management doesn't seem to be budging about the 3.5 number they've offered. I get that the payroll's up again, but they're going to have to suck it up. If it has to be a one-yr deal, I think $4mil is fair.

Edit: Ooh, just kidding, Giguere just signed. 4 yr deal, $5mil a yr.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:49 PM   #4
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Something better happen because Tugnutt is no Turco, and Marty Turco is the man. SIGN THE CONTRACT TURCO!
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 12:06 AM   #5
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Posted on Sun, Sep. 07, 2003
Turco remains unsigned as camp approaches
By Mac Engel
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

FRISCO - The greatest single season by a goalie in the modern era comes with privileges, and now the price.

The Stars and Marty Turco have a difference in opinion in just how much.

Turco, who is coming off the best statistical season by a goalie since World War II, is unsigned with six days remaining until the Stars begin training camp in Vail, Colo.

NHL sources said Turco wants more than $4 million this season. The most the Stars want to offer hovers around $3.5 million. He made $850,000 last season.

"We are going to recognize Marty's achievements last year and give him a handsome raise," Stars general manager Doug Armstrong said. "The contract that we will or have offered Marty will represent someone who had a fantastic season."

Therein lies the hitch: "season," not "seasons."

Although Turco's numbers and impact last season are undeniable, the difference of opinion is headed in the direction of a holdout. And using recent history as an indicator, both teams have evidence to support their positions.

Turco declined arbitration, opting instead to negotiate in good faith. Had he filed for arbitration, an absolute decision would have been made by now. But he might have been forced to accept a salary less than he wanted.

Now, he negotiates for a bigger number.

In his first season as a No. 1 goalie, Turco posted a modern-day record 1.72 goals-against average to go along with his 30 victories, six shutouts and a .931 save percentage. He finished as a finalist for the Vezina Trophy, awarded to the NHL's top goalie, and was the winning goalie for the Western Conference in the All-Star Game. In 18 games he missed late last season with a sprained ankle, the Stars went 7-6-3-2.

But the Stars fear the Jose Theodore syndrome.

After winning the Hart Trophy (MVP) and Vezina Trophy, and pushing the eighth-seeded Montreal Canadiens into the second round of the playoffs in 2001-02, Theodore signed a three-year, $16.5 million contract.

Theodore posted a mediocre 20-31-6 record with a 2.90 goals-against average last season, and his team failed to make the playoffs.

All the while, the Canadiens are married to the richest contract in franchise history. The Stars do not want to make that type of long-term financial commitment to a player who had one great year.

But they also want to avoid what happened to Evgeni Nabokov and the Sharks last season.

The Sharks' goalie held out all of training camp before signing five games into the season. His team, which the season before advanced to Game 7 of the Western Conference semifinals, was desperate, having started 1-4 without him.

Nabokov got what he wanted in a two-year, $7.15 million contract, but, when he returned, he wasn't the same. He finished 19-28-8 with a 2.72 GAA and a .906 save percentage. The Sharks failed to make the playoffs.

"You look at some situations where players have withheld their services through camp, and whether it was the team's fault or the players' fault is irrelevant," Armstrong said. "They haven't had good years."
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 11:41 AM   #6
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Oh, hell no. Now both sides are just being stupid. This deal is reasonable, but if Army & Hicks are serious that this team can contend w/out Marty, they're crazy. Did they even WATCH that 20-game stretch last year w/Tugger in goal? It almost lost us the West. JUST SIGN THE F'ING DEAL, MARTY!!
---
Stars beef up their offer; Turco brushes it away
$12 million over 3 years rejected; Hicks says it's team's final offer

02:46 AM CDT on Thursday, September 11, 2003

By RICHARD DURRETT / The Dallas Morning News

FRISCO – Stars general manager Doug Armstrong said Wednesday night that goaltender Marty Turco refused the Stars' latest contract offer, a deal worth $12 million over three years.

Owner Tom Hicks said it was the club's final offer, and Armstrong said the Stars are prepared to go without Turco to training camp, which begins officially with a team meeting at 8 p.m. Thursday. The season opener is Oct. 8.

"We feel as an organization we tried to step up, and he's going to go a different direction," Armstrong said. "We've made him an offer that goes above and beyond what he's accomplished. We're going to go to training camp with what we have, which I think is a strong team. The organization is deeper than one person.

"If it turns out that Marty was the sole key to the team, than I've underpaid for one and overpaid 22 others. It's unfortunate that Marty has chosen this path for his career, but so be it."

Turco's agent, Kurt Overhardt, declined to comment on specific numbers in the contracts but said he presented the Stars with alternative offers and was "going to continue to work to get a deal done."

Armstrong said he is content to go into training camp with Ron Tugnutt as the No. 1 goalie. He said he would look to see what other options were available in the next few weeks before making any decisions in regard to who starts the season in goal.

The sides had a meeting Wednesday afternoon in which the Stars presented their new offer. The three-year deal was a significant shift from the club's previous offer of a few days ago, which was a one-year deal worth approximately $3.5 million. At that time, Turco's side wanted a multi-year contract worth about $4.5 million per season.

"We think it's a stretch on our part, but it reflects our belief that Marty can be a great goaltender," Hicks said before Turco rejected Wednesday's offer. "The fact is, he's only done it one year, and you've got to prove yourself in the playoffs."

The sides met just moments after Anaheim goaltender Jean-Sebastien Giguere agreed to terms on a four-year contract worth an average of nearly $5 million a season. Giguere won the Conn Smythe Trophy last season as playoff MVP and defeated Turco and the Stars in the second round.

"With Giguere signing, it was an affirmation of where we are in the marketplace," Overhardt said. "We feel Giguere's offer solidified our position. Marty still wants to be in camp."

Overhardt did not want to comment on what exactly he didn't like about the Stars' offer or how he thought Turco's salary should compare to Giguere's.

In Turco's first full season as the starting goaltender in Dallas, he was 31-10-10 with a 1.72 goals-against average, the NHL's lowest since World War II. Turco, who made $850,000 last season, was 6-6 in the playoffs with a 1.88 GAA. Even though Turco, 28, hasn't had a contract, he has skated with teammates almost every day the last two weeks.

Tugnutt, who was Turco's backup last season, said Tuesday that he was prepared to step in for Turco at training camp and beyond, if necessary.

"I know the importance of Marty signing, but I also know that negotiations aren't usually easy," said Tugnutt, who was 7-7-3 with a 2.59 GAA during the 17 games he started last season when Turco was out with an ankle injury. "I worked hard all summer, and I knew that this could be an issue, and I'm ready to take on whatever responsibility I need to."

Edit: Deadline is past, Turco is officially a holdout. I am so annoyed right now.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:13 AM   #7
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

The stars are being cheap this offseason. They already lost hatcher, and know they want pay for turco. Come on this guy still had a 1.88 gaa in the playoffs. And while he wasn't dominant in anaheim he was good enough to win. The rest of the stars didn't deliver. Curtis Joseph making 8 million, the dominator ismaking 8 million, Giguire is making 4.5 million.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:16 AM   #8
jayC
Diamond Member

Turco rejects Stars' best shot; offer off table
Goalie passes on three-year, $12 million deal, misses meeting

12:06 AM CDT on Friday, September 12, 2003

By RICHARD DURRETT / The Dallas Morning News

FRISCO – Stars training camp began Thursday with a team meeting that did not include goaltender Marty Turco.

Stars owner Tom Hicks and general manager Doug Armstrong gave Turco until the 8 p.m. meeting to accept a three-year, $12 million offer. When the deadline passed, so did the Stars' three-year offer. Hicks said if negotiations resumed, the club would probably offer Turco a one-year deal worth less than $4 million.

"Marty's trying to do the best thing for Marty and no one is blaming him for that," Hicks said. "But he's trying to have his cake and eat it too, and that's not going to work. That's what's wrong with hockey. We've made our best offer, and we'll move forward."

Turco skated for about an hour with his teammates Thursday in Frisco. He then gathered his equipment and left the locker room, declining to talk about the negotiations. But he did say later in the day that he was "working hard to stay in shape."

"I'm just getting myself prepared to play as soon as possible," Turco said.

A source familiar with the negotiations said Turco is seeking a contract with a base salary of $4.5 million and a list of performance bonuses that could push the deal to $5 million per season. The Stars give team bonuses in some contracts but do not include individual incentives in player deals.

"Marty's disappointed that he's not with his team right now, but we're going to continue to work on an effort to strike an accord," said Turco's agent, Kurt Overhardt. "We're just trying to properly place him in the market of starting goaltenders in the NHL."

Armstrong said the two most comparable goalies to Turco right now are Los Angeles' Roman Cechmanek and San Jose's Evgeni Nabokov. The Stars' three-year offer to Turco averaged more money per season than the salary of either goalie. Armstrong does not believe Turco is comparable to Anaheim's Jean-Sebastien Giguere, who won the Conn Smythe Trophy last season, or Montreal's Jose Theodore, who won the Vezina and Hart trophies two seasons ago.

"We'll move forward with the players at the meeting, and we're looking forward to a strong and competitive training camp," Armstrong said. "The players feel like it's a good group, and they want to prove that no matter what."

Many of Turco's teammates, including captain Mike Modano and forward Brenden Morrow, said they support Turco and hope he returns soon.

"It's a difficult situation, and we have to do our best to concentrate on our jobs," forward Bill Guerin said. "As teammates and friends, we support Marty and what he's doing. It's something he believes in, and almost every one of us has been in that position before, so we have to stand behind him. You just feel for the guy because he wants to be here more than anything, but this is a two-sided business. Players have to approach it as a business as much as management does."

Turco's backup, Ron Tugnutt, said he hopes Turco signs soon, but is prepared to go into camp as the top goalie on the depth chart.

"I can't worry about other people," Tugnutt said. "I have to worry about what's expected of me. I'd be a fool if I was preparing myself as if he's going to be here one day. Because then when it comes time to do the work, I'll be looking at the other side and wondering when he's coming. The day that it happens, and it will happen, I'll say, 'Oh, Marty's back.' But I have to be ready to play."

Tugnutt looks at this season as a chance for redemption. When Turco injured his ankle last season, Tugnutt filled in and called his play "inconsistent." He was 7-7-3 with a 2.59 goals-against average and a .887 save percentage in the 17 games he started in Turco's absence. Tugnutt said he wants another chance to prove he can eliminate the "bad games" and do a better job of keeping his team in it.

E-mail rdurrett@dallasnews.com

WHERE DOES HE FIT?

The Stars have slotted Marty Turco with a group of goalies who have had strong single seasons. One on the list, Jean-Sebastien Giguere, has carried that performance into the Stanley Cup Finals, which helped him land a $19.5 million, four-year contract on Wednesday. Here is a look at where the Stars feel Turco fits on the list.

Player Team '03-04 sal.
Jose Theodore Mon $5.5 million
Signed through 2004-05
J.-S. Giguere Ana $4.5 million
Signed through 2006-07
Marty Turco Dallas *
Unsigned
Evgeni Nabokov San Jose $3.625 million
Signed through 2003-04
R. Cechmanek LA $3 million
Signed through 2005-06
* Was offered an average of $4 million per season for three years.
Salaries according to nhlpa.com and do not include bonuses

Old 09-12-2003, 11:21 AM   #9
ames7
Diamond Member

Actually, I think the Stars' offer was more than reasonable. Marty was brilliant, but he was only the #1 for only one season. He needs to show consistency. If he's able to by repeating this yr, he will get his millions in the next contract & they will be more than the the 4.5 he wants now. Army's got a point, if Marty wants to be an elite goalie, like a Roy or a Hasek, & he wants to be paid like one, this will not be his biggest contract & he needs to stop acting like it will be.

What I don't get is why the team pulled that offer. I think once he realizes he's not helping anyone by holding out, he would have given in & taken the 3 yrs at 4 mil or found a similar alternative but now he's looking at a worse deal all around. I really feel bad for the rest of the team, they're getting seriously short-changed in this whole deal.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:36 PM   #10
jayC
Diamond Member

Lets see what we do with tugnutt thats a joke. A million isn't much for a guy that is paying arod 25 million a year.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:11 PM   #11
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
Lets see what we do with tugnutt thats a joke. A million isn't much for a guy that is paying arod 25 million a year.
If there is a salary cap in the NHL then that million dollars could be VERY important. And a salary cap is what the owners want out of the next labor agreement.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 07:15 PM   #12
jayC
Diamond Member

They knew that two years ago when they signed guerin, tell me who is more important a great goalie or an erratic scoring forward. They knew that three years ago when they signed turgeon for a big 7 million a year deal or something in that ballpark. They want to say its the cap but thats just not true, hicks is losing money. Thats why the rangers will cap this offseason at 70 million dollars. That argument sucks. They don't know that. Then fine sign turco to a one year eight million dollar deal. Salary Cap or not the stars could miss the playoffs without an elite goalie. F for the stars they lost their norris trophy finalist , and lost their best goalie. All I know is that I wouldn't renew my season tickets. Tell that to the guy that has box seats , or the guy that is at ice level for 75 dollars a game.