Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 04-18-2004, 02:15 PM   #41
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Kill Bill

In that case, I'm gonna rent the 1st one this week and if it tickles my fancy I'll go check out Kill Bill 2 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2005, 11:18 AM   #42
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Forgive me for bringing up an ancient thread...but I just watched Kill Bill (both volumes) last week. So it took me a couple of years...I think I was originally put off because I had heard it was so violent. I'm not a big fan of gore or kung fu movies for that matter, but I have to say these two movies easily make it into my top ten best of all time. In a way, Tarantino reminds me of Kubric (sp?), in that his work seems so meticulous and every detail seems to have such purpose to it. I loved the colors in the film, the music, the dialogue, the casting...i loved everything about it.

Chapter 1 (I think it was 1) was pure genius...when The Bride visits Vernita, the scenery is so child-like...Tarantino puts lots of oversized toys in the front yard, and even the house itself looks like it was painted with a green Crayon. The school bus pulls up as Beatrice and Vernita have their weapons drawn and are covered in blood. QT is a genius at juxtaposing violence against a contrasting background of everyday life (which is what produces the “disturbing” effect). Copperhead even has a her gun hidden inside a box of “Kaboom” cereal. Seriously, you got to find that hilarious, right?

I also loved QT’s ability to build strong characters, even when they had very few lines. O-Ren’s personal bodyguard, Gogo doesn’t really have a huge part, but boy was she memorable!

Personally, I think the violence is so over-the-top, that at some point the movie no longer appears violent, just absurd. Its like going out into th bad weather. Nobody wants to get rained on, but at some point if you get soaking wet, it not longer matters if you get rained on anymore or not.

I could go on and on, but I won’t, because I know this is a ridiculously old topic..and few probably give a rats ass by now anyway, but I just saw it and was wondering what people thought of it back then when it came out. I really regret that I didn't see either one of them in the theater.

I’ve only seen Vol. 2 once, but Vol. 1 was on Encore last week and I Tivo’d it. I’ve watched it at least 10 times this week...its like crack haha.

I can’t wait to buy the DVD’s so I can enjoy Vol. 2, as well as I have 1.

Does anyone want to hear my Top Gun review? [img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img]

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:57 PM   #43
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

You know, I used to be the biggest Tarantino fan in the world... As someone who had waited a few years for the man's next film, I wasn't disappointed by either of the Kill Bill movies. However, after a while I have gotten a little tired of his stuff, because he seems to be a bit of a one-trick-pony. As much as I love his writing, I would really like to see the guy make something that's not about the criminal underworld.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:01 PM   #44
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future
Default RE: Kill Bill

Great idea spiral. Send QT to Disney and ask him to direct the next Pocahontas. I smell an Oscar..
Old 07-19-2005, 05:02 PM   #45
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

To Mary: I've only seen the first Kill Bill, but for the most part thought it was an excellent movie. My favorite scene was the one you were describing, the contrast between the sunny everyday and a showdown to the death was just awesome, fascinatingly (is that a word?) disturbing...

However, QT lost me with the battle between Uma and the crazy 88, with Uma lifting a guy off the ground with her sword, standing on the shoulders of another one, etc. I prefer hand to hand combat scenes in movies to be creative, but more or less realistic. It makes a good movie seem cheesy, IMO. I felt the same way about 'crouching tiger' with all the flying around crap.

All in all though, KB was a very well done, creative flick.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:20 AM   #46
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Ninkobei
Great idea spiral. Send QT to Disney and ask him to direct the next Pocahontas. I smell an Oscar..
Never said anything about Disney... I'd just like to see him write something that's not about criminal underworld... Is that so unreasonable? I never said it couldn't be voilent and/or adult-oriented. Take my favorite director, Oliver Stone, for example. Platoon (a Vietnamn epic) JFK (conspiracy mystery thriller) Nixon (biographic epic) Any Given Sunday (football action/drama) Natural Born Killers (indescribeable... pushes the limits of cinematic art) Alexander... Now, you don't have to like his movies, and indeed many people don't. The point is, he mixes it up. He always used many of the same techniques and style, so you can tell it's one of his films, but they're all vastly different. Tarantino on the other hand, tends to get very repeatative. Granted, Kill Bill was certainly radically different from Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs or Jackie Brown, but it still had a similar premise. I'd just like to see him try something i haven't see him do before.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:51 PM   #47
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

I know what you mean. I was just being lame.

Anyway, kind of off topic here, did you see the QT episode of CSI? Lots of people tell me it revealed a different side of the CSI crew. I haven't been able to catch a rerun of it yet. Also, Four Rooms has an interesting segment directed by Tarentino that I think shows his lighter side.

Old 07-20-2005, 03:59 PM   #48
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Four Rooms is a good one. I personally like Robert Rodriguez' segment a little bit better than QT's. Before that all he'd done was movies like Desperado and El Mariachi. Maybe that's what gave him the idea for Spy Kids... Tarantino's segment was funny too. Did you notice that Bruce Willis was in it? He wasn't mentioned in the credits but it's clearly him.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:59 PM   #49
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Spiral, when you look at some of the better directors (Stone, Hitchcock, Kupbrick, etc.), they're pretty much one demensional.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 03:40 AM   #50
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

I can understand Hitchcock but how was Kubrick one-dimensional? Spartacus, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining... just a few of his masterpieces, all very different. And my previous post was clearly meant to point out that Stone is not one dimensional.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:20 AM   #51
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

I was looking at as far as Film Noir. Forgive me, i've taken one too many film classes. And Stone was best known for the political movies he's done.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote