Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 11-09-2003, 01:01 PM   #1
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road
Default FWST Ostertag coming home?

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/ba...ll/7220992.htm

Ostertag coming home?

Jazz center Greg Ostertag has never hidden his desire to come home and play for the Mavericks, and the Duncanville product could get his wish next summer when he becomes a free agent.

For now, though, Ostertag, 30, has been busy helping the Jazz to a surprising 3-2 start. The 7-foot-2, nine-year veteran is averaging 6.8 points, 10.4 rebounds and 2.4 blocks and claims he's not worried about his free-agency status.

"In my mind, I'm trying to help this team prove all the critics wrong," Ostertag said. "And that's an honest answer."

Two years ago, a deal was on the table that would have shipped Ostertag to the Mavericks for Danny Manning and Shawn Bradley, but the Mavericks decided against it.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2003, 03:14 PM   #2
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default RE:FWST Ostertag coming home?

It would be nice to see Ostertag here. Of course, after a year of Dirk playing center, Dirk will get used to playing center and when Ostertag comes here, Dirk will play PF again.
Old 11-09-2003, 03:17 PM   #3
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2
It would be nice to see Ostertag here. Of course, after a year of Dirk playing center, Dirk will get used to playing center and when Ostertag comes here, Dirk will play PF again.
I don't think it'd be a problem for Dirk at all.....
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 05:01 PM   #4
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road
Default RE: FWST Ostertag coming home?

Neither do i. Dirk isnt really playing center. Hes just being placed there. Hes still doing all the things he was doing last year
Old 11-09-2003, 05:08 PM   #5
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

I disagree. I think it affects Dirk defense. Dirk becomes tentative because he is worried that he'll get into foul trouble. He not only has to guard his man but the guards that are let into the lane. I believe he'd rather play the PF position.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:39 PM   #6
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road
Default RE: FWST Ostertag coming home?

i was referring to the offensive side of the ball
Old 11-09-2003, 08:04 PM   #7
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

One more white stiff remember how great LaFrentz looked for the Nuggets 17 points 8 rebounds and 3 block shots. I repeat we do not want Greg Ostertag even though he is a great human being.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 08:33 PM   #8
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
One more white stiff remember how great LaFrentz looked for the Nuggets 17 points 8 rebounds and 3 block shots. I repeat we do not want Greg Ostertag even though he is a great human being.

Lafrents wasnt 7'2 & 280 pounds. It is an intriguing notion of having him here to exchange minutes with bradley and fortson. Unless we could get Foyle whom would arguably be a much more preferable pick up, this is a thought ungrimacely considered through many perspectives.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 08:54 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that Raef is a pretty good player that was put in a bad situation. He was placed on a team that had absolutely no perimeter defense. Of course, the player that's closest to the basket will be the one that looks the worst when players are constantly getting to the rim. However, it would be virtually impossible for any center to find continued success playing with a perimeter defense like the one that the Mavs throughout there the past year and a half. To compound things, the Mavs were often playing 'small ball' which only increased the center's responsibilities defensively.

Was Raef without error? No, of course not. However, his struggles were greatly enhanced due to the schemes that Nellie used and by the poor perimeter defense that the Mavs played while Lafrentz was here.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 12:44 AM   #10
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Maybe Raef was misused. But even he said it himself he isn't a presence in the middle. Sure he probably was misused but he has no post game, he doesn't rebound the ball particularly well either. When Ostertag isn't that much better then Shawn why bother signing him.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 12:57 AM   #11
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote Murphy3: "To compound things, the Mavs were often playing 'small ball' which only increased the center's responsibilities defensively."

I dont necessarily agree with this. The only responsiblity that would be further implied for the center in this instance would be the defensive rebounding.

Playing small ball doesn't exactly mean worse D or more penetration due to the fact that the overall defense of the team comes down to the individual defenders defensive capabilities. Therefore regardless of how big the man is defending on the perimeter, if they are quick enough to cover their man and not let him penetrate without drawing a charge, then the only liability through the defensive perspective would be that the offensive player, (our opponent) in this case, would be more capable of jacking up shots due to their height advantage. Resulting in more responsibility on the center to grab the rebounds of those shots that dont fall.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 01:42 AM   #12
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

This more appropriately belongs in the Trade thread since it deals with hypotheticals.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:40 AM   #13
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
This more appropriately belongs in the Trade thread since it deals with hypotheticals.
It is neither a trade subject or a draft subject so why would it go here?

Can I please get some clarification of the rules about what goes in what folder?
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 03:02 AM   #14
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
It is neither a trade subject or a draft subject so why would it go here?

Can I please get some clarification of the rules about what goes in what folder?

Sure, I was a little confused myself so I got a rulling from DJ. Here's what he said:

Quote:
The trade forum is for all hypothetical and unofficial trades, signings, etc. Once a trade becomes official, then the discussion should be continued in the Mavs forum.
Basically this forum is talking about hypothetical additions or changes tot he mavs roster. This includes trades, draft, and FA signings. Once the hypothetical becomes reality, then we would discuss it in the General Mavs Discussion forum.