Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 11-25-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Best NFL QB of 2008...?

I was watching PTI today and they made a great question: Who is the best QB of 2008?

You can use your own standards, TDs...Passer Rating...Player Impact...etc.
Either way, I doubt a majority can come of it but a lot of fun debate can come of it.

There are so many names to go off of:
Brees, Romo, Eli, Peyton, Warner, Collins, Matt Ryan, Cassell, Favre, Rivers...

the list could seriously go on...

So, I ask:
Who do you think is the best NFL QB of 2008, and why?

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 11-25-2008 at 07:43 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget Favre.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Mc Nabb ..no...Farve

Last edited by GermanDunk; 11-25-2008 at 07:45 PM.
GermanDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Added!

I seriously can't come up with a legit answer.

If I had to cut it down to 5 (not in any order):
Eli, Warner, Brees, Favre...gotta go Cassel
Old 11-25-2008, 08:20 PM   #5
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Drew Brees

(because he's my fantasy stud... Plus, it's not his fault that his defense can't help him win a game!)

Runner up: Kurt Warner (but it's easy to look good when you have Fitz & Boldin to chuck it to... Brees still looks good even tossing the ball to a bag of rocks!)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 11-25-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:29 PM   #6
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like an awfully easy answer to me. Brees has been dominant despite injuries to his best receivers. Gotta go with him.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

the only two options are kurt warner and drew brees and kurt warner has boldin and fitzgerald to throw too so i go with brees. did someone honestly say kerry collins???

the rest of my list would be

3. rivers
4. romo
5. eli manning

Last edited by Five-ofan; 11-25-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:17 PM   #8
BGMaverick9
Guru

These are just some of the reasons I can see the others and it's not just based on numbers, it's based on importance to the team or other things I mentioned in the original thread:

Cassel - for not playing a real pro football game ever, and not really playing since College, to come in when all seemed lost for the Patriots and to do what he has done is incredibly impressive. He's earned himself a massive paycheck.

Favre - the whole summer of will he or won't he? Going to a new conference, learning a new system and being the face of a team on the rise when people didn't know if he had anything left in the tank or if he was fully committed to the game. He isn't the only reason for the success of the Jets, but he's a major part of it.

Eli - people say the QB is the leader of your team, he then is the leader of the best team in football. He answered the bell last year and he hasn't done anything to hurt his stock this year. He's gotten a lot better, a lot less mistakes and more touchdowns. The running game helps, but you still need a man to throw the ball. He doesn't have the best or most consistent options either to throw to.

I'm liking what Cassel is doing the more I think about it.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:19 PM   #9
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
the only two options are kurt warner and drew brees and kurt warner has boldin and fitzgerald to throw too so i go with brees. did someone honestly say kerry collins???

the rest of my list would be

3. rivers
4. romo
5. eli manning
I said Kerry Collins because of what he's done in managing the team. Yes they have a running game but for as long as I've paid attention to football, I never understood why people kept Collins around the past few years. Any time he was in there, he was a turnover machine and made terrible decisions. It's clicked this year and he's won them games off of his performance alone.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:34 PM   #10
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I choose Favre. I put a lot of stock in games won.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:37 PM   #11
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
I said Kerry Collins because of what he's done in managing the team. Yes they have a running game but for as long as I've paid attention to football, I never understood why people kept Collins around the past few years. Any time he was in there, he was a turnover machine and made terrible decisions. It's clicked this year and he's won them games off of his performance alone.
no offense man but just ugh... kerry collins is in no way shape or form the best qb or among the best qbs in the nfl...
Old 11-25-2008, 09:41 PM   #12
BGMaverick9
Guru

I didn't say he was! haha

People would consider him in the conversation though. I'm just trying to bring all the names to the table.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:56 PM   #13
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

gotta go with Brees. He has had some imperfect games but a lot of times they lost completely because of their defense.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:16 PM   #14
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I choose Favre. I put a lot of stock in games won.
then why would you put him over eli???
Old 11-25-2008, 10:17 PM   #15
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
I didn't say he was! haha

People would consider him in the conversation though. I'm just trying to bring all the names to the table.
people that would consider him in the conversation would be in a word wrong. I understand its extremely arrogant sounding to say that but come on. hes not a top 10 qb.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:28 PM   #16
BGMaverick9
Guru

I know, I know..I'm just saying the fact that he, as a backup quarterback, was able to keep the ship floating after Vince went down and AWOL usually leads to a nice story for the team and the quarterback...it definitely makes him valuable.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:50 PM   #17
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
then why would you put him over eli???
Because he's a far better QB than Eli is.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:04 PM   #18
BGMaverick9
Guru

I can see Five-ofan's argument though, based on what you said.

just sayin...
Old 11-25-2008, 11:08 PM   #19
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9
I can see Five-ofan's argument though, based on what you said.

just sayin...
I said I put a lot of stock in games won, not that I base all my observations based on games won. Obviously one would expect the defending Super Bowl champs to win a lot of games. The Jets, not so much.

Brees needs to win a few more games each year to reach the upper echelon.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:16 PM   #20
BGMaverick9
Guru

I can see the basis for the W-L record playing into account for the QB performance. I like Brees and what he's done, he's been a great producer for a while. The defense definitely gives a chance for him to produce the numbers he can...but that's no knock on Brees though, he's still gotta complete the passes. I think the fact that Bush is elusive and a hybrid RB/WR works for Brees.

Eli has gotten wins, and yeah they are the champs, but like I said...his numbers have gotten better compared to last year. You can acknowledge they are the champs and etc, but you can't knock the numbers down either. The TDs will be on par or better than last year. Unless he totally drops off, the interceptions are going to be WAY down. A lot less fumbles, and not getting sacked as much. He's been great for the year.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 11-25-2008 at 11:18 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:22 PM   #21
BGMaverick9
Guru

I've figured on my list:
Cassel
Brees
Warner
and a tie between Eli and Favre
Old 11-25-2008, 11:27 PM   #22
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

And if Brees tops Marino's season yardage record?

Last edited by Underdog; 11-25-2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:32 PM   #23
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

Romo!!!!!
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:42 PM   #24
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Depends on if Cassell can get them to the playoffs or not...highly doubtful for the Saints to get there. I know the numbers could be seen as ho-hum...especially compared to Brees but for the guy to come out and take the place of Brady and try to get a feel for it on the fly, it's impressive. Riding the bench for 3 years and taking over for one of the greatest QBs of all-time, it's a great story. He's getting better and better as the season is going on.

My rankings can clearly change based on how they finish up and how their teams do. I think they're bunched together closely to where they can still move around.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:02 AM   #25
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
Then more proof positive that yards just mean a whole crap of a lot.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:03 AM   #26
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard not to say Brees...and yet for reasons I cannot articulate I would vote Kurt Warner for MVP right now. Again, I cannot substantiate this claim.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:40 AM   #27
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
It's hard not to say Brees...and yet for reasons I cannot articulate I would vote Kurt Warner for MVP right now. Again, I cannot substantiate this claim.
You can say Warner has the arguably the best WR combo in the league, but a lot of Warner's issues in the past were there no matter who the WRs were. He couldn't stay upright and he couldn't hold on to the ball. He's staying upright and has plenty of time to make the right reads and the turnovers are very minimal now.

I watched the bit this Sunday about Warner and Boldin and the Boldin injury. Warner said he learned from that if there is any kind of doubt about the play: whether it looks bad or puts the player at risk, he doesn't think twice, he moves on to the next read.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:04 AM   #28
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Hands down, Brees.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:47 AM   #29
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that Eli is the leader of that team.. not by a long shot...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:53 AM   #30
Underdog

Quote:
You can say Warner has the arguably the best WR combo in the league, but a lot of Warner's issues in the past were there no matter who the WRs were. He couldn't stay upright and he couldn't hold on to the ball. He's staying upright and has plenty of time to make the right reads and the turnovers are very minimal now.

I watched the bit this Sunday about Warner and Boldin and the Boldin injury. Warner said he learned from that if there is any kind of doubt about the play: whether it looks bad or puts the player at risk, he doesn't think twice, he moves on to the next read.
I like Warner for Comeback Player of the Year (do they have that award in the NFL?)

Old 11-26-2008, 02:13 PM   #31
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

brees/favre
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:35 PM   #32
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Dan Orlovsky.

My criterium is entertainment value, and nothing that I've recently seen in any sport has entertained me to the extent of Orlovsky rolling 2 yards out the back of the end zone without a defender anywhere near him.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 11-26-2008 at 03:38 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:45 PM   #33
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Dan Orlovsky.

My criterium is entertainment value, and nothing that I've recently seen in any sport has entertained me to the extent of Orlovsky rolling 2 yards out the back of the end zone without a defender anywhere near him.
For you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oMKkbKCCio
Old 11-27-2008, 08:01 PM   #34
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Because he's a far better QB than Eli is.
no hes not. favre still turns the ball over wayyyy too much(he leads the nfl in picks) And pretty much everyone saw the jets being better. this isnt the same team as it was last year.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:07 PM   #35
Underdog

Kerry Collins was 11-18 with no TDs today when his team scored 47 points...

Consider his name dropped from this discussion...

Last edited by Underdog; 11-27-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:25 PM   #36
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
no hes not. favre still turns the ball over wayyyy too much(he leads the nfl in picks) And pretty much everyone saw the jets being better. this isnt the same team as it was last year.
It's not the same team in large part because of Brett Favre. Turnovers be damned, the guy is a great QB.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:46 PM   #37
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
It's not the same team in large part because of Brett Favre. Turnovers be damned, the guy is a great QB.
and i will no longer be listening to anything you have to say about football...(actually i wanna see your answer to this) turnovers be damned??? really? Just wow. You said you valued wins quite a bit which is presumably why you ranked him over warner brees and romo despite him and warner(and romo) having nearly identical records despite the fact that all 3 are CLEARLY better players. Then you just dismiss the fact that theres a bigger difference in records between favres jets and elis giants when elis numbers are closer to favres. there is NO logical argument that makes favre the best qb in the nfl right now. Literally any argument you use for favre can be applied more aptly to someone else.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #38
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
and i will no longer be listening to anything you have to say about football...(actually i wanna see your answer to this) turnovers be damned??? really? Just wow. You said you valued wins quite a bit which is presumably why you ranked him over warner brees and romo despite him and warner(and romo) having nearly identical records despite the fact that all 3 are CLEARLY better players. Then you just dismiss the fact that theres a bigger difference in records between favres jets and elis giants when elis numbers are closer to favres. there is NO logical argument that makes favre the best qb in the nfl right now. Literally any argument you use for favre can be applied more aptly to someone else.
Don't get too excited about turnover numbers. Those are the same for any QB. Concentrate on TD's and on wins.

Give extra credit to wins.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:19 PM   #39
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

DREW BREESY.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:59 PM   #40
Burn this City

Burn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really nice

Brees...Warner is a close 2nd...