Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 12-15-2015, 11:54 AM   #1
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Star Wars: A Disney Property

So who is seeing it on opening night/weekend? I'm cautiously optimistic it will be decent, but we should all watch this video to make sure we don't have false, knee-jerk reactions...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSaaa_OBkzw

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2015, 12:29 PM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I was just having this conversation with my brother... He was saying the new movie has great reviews, then I had to remind him that everyone loved the Phantom Menace when it first came out because STAR WARS!! (Rotten Tomatoes wasn't a thing yet -- those reviews all came well after the honeymoon phase had ended)

After the prequels and the mess that was Star Trek Into Darkness, JJ and Disney are going to have to produce a movie at least on par with the best Marvel titles to win me over... Like, if this movie can't "out-Star Wars" Guardians of the Galaxy, then I'm peacing the F out.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:31 PM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you made this thread so I can avoid major spoilers on this forum... Due to my work schedule, I won't be seeing this movie in its first week.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:50 PM   #4
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I was just having this conversation with my brother... He was saying the new movie has great reviews, then I had to remind him that everyone loved the Phantom Menace when it first came out because STAR WARS!! (Rotten Tomatoes wasn't a thing yet -- those reviews all came well after the honeymoon phase had ended)

After the prequels and the mess that was Star Trek Into Darkness, JJ and Disney are going to have to produce a movie at least on par with the best Marvel titles to win me over... Like, if this movie can't "out-Star Wars" Guardians of the Galaxy, then I'm peacing the F out.
I think all big budget movies have a certain "mehness" to them these days. I just think making broad appeal movies that have to show in markets like China will inherently be flawed.

At least there is no Jar Jar, Jake Floyd, or Hayden Christiansen. Disney was smart to cast quality actors like Domhall Gleeson and Oscar Isaac.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:07 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Phantom Menace came out in 1999
Rotten Tomatoes launched in 1998
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:12 PM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

No Star Wars spoilers
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:59 AM   #7
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

I'll be at the Texas Theater for the opening tomorrow night. Looking forward to seeing all the costumes!
bunkmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:02 AM   #8
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

So far, 97% on tomatometer. I've seen plenty of bad movies with a positive tomatometer, but 97% is somewhat encouraging. 127 fresh and 4 rotten.

Old 12-16-2015, 12:06 PM   #9
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
So far, 97% on tomatometer. I've seen plenty of bad movies with a positive tomatometer, but 97% is somewhat encouraging. 127 fresh and 4 rotten.
The few negative reviews are more telling than any of the nostalgia-filled, hype-fueled early reviews for this thing... I'm definitely not interested in sipping haterade, but some of my greatest fears about this movie are cropping up, even in the positive reviews... The biggest one being that Star Wars relies on nostalgia as a crutch the same way the Star Trek reboot did. One reviewer even compared The Force Awakens to Gus Van Sant's Psycho remake, claiming that the general plot strokes are an exact carbon copy of A New Hope.

I mean, I'm still going to go see this movie, but my expectations are definitely tempered... Sounds more like this is going to be the millionth Star Wars rehash in the last 30 years rather than a revolutionary, new experience like Star Wars originally was. I guess I'll just have to settle for "good enough."

Old 12-17-2015, 11:33 PM   #10
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

BEST MOVIE EVERR!!!!!!!

Jk...don't worry no spoilers until most everyone has a chance to see it. It was good enough to make you forget Jar Jar which does count for a lot. Remember, episode 1 had Jar Jar kicking a blaster around to kill droids.

And yeah, it does rely too much on nostalgia, but I figured that was a given from the trailers. Once you get over it and don't take it too seriously, then it's as good as blockbusters get these days. And there is hope that the movies will start to branch away from the nostalgia as the saga continues.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:29 AM   #11
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

I definitely enjoyed it.
Way better than the prequels.
Heavy on the nostalgia for sure.
Nothing revolutionary, but great entertainment.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:36 AM   #12
bunkmoreland

The Original Trilogy: "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

The Prequel Trilogy: "He's more machine now than man—twisted and evil."

The Force Awakens: "Indeed, you are powerful, as the Emperor has foreseen."
Old 12-20-2015, 09:12 AM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

It is as pretty good. The Prequel is doing wonders for this movie... It set the bar so ridiculously low... Critics and fans were going to be thrilled and would rave as long as this movie was pretty good. And guess what... It's pretty good. There are some completely dumb unrealistic character traits that drove me a little crazy. But again, it was pretty good.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:39 PM   #14
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

"It was pretty good." Let's bear in mind the audience here. This is a group of self-proclaimed nerds, who eat this stuff up. Dog food in a bowl would be "pretty good."
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:58 PM   #15
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Saw it a second time and liked it a little bit more this time around. The movie definitely has flaws and plot holes, but it's amazing to see a big budget movie where the acting carries the day. Seriously, Rey, Solo, and Kylo Ren are amazing.

The biggest issue people complain about is how similar it is to the original trilogy. Welp, would you rather it be like the prequels or the originals? I'd much rather watch a film that feels like the old Star Wars, unoriginal as it may be, versus watching boring stuff like trade disputes and senate meetings.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:11 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

Certain things about Finn and Kyli Rey we're screwed up. But it was a goodish movie.

Last edited by Murphy3; 12-28-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:30 PM   #17
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back from the Force Awakens. Wish I had stayed home and watched Dirk pass Shaq.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:48 PM   #18
Underdog

Nope.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:16 PM   #19
Underdog

Am I the only one who thought this movie was awful?

This is The Phantom Menace all over again -- people are so desperate for more Star Wars that they'll convince themselves that what they watched wasn't a total piece of sh!t... I just wanted an original continuation of the story I grew up with, but instead I got 'Star Wars Into Darkness' by Jar-Jar Abrams.

What a letdown.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:05 PM   #20
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I liked it, but only as a first movie in a series. Felt like they both tried to do too much and yet left out a lob of things I was curious about
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:44 PM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:

This is The Phantom Menace all over again -- people are so desperate for more Star Wars that they'll convince themselves that what they watched wasn't a total piece of sh!t... I just wanted an original continuation of the story I grew up with, but instead I got 'Star Wars Into Darkness' by Jar-Jar Abrams.

What a letdown.
I thought the way Finn referred to Han Solo as "Solo" was idiotic. No one with Finn's background would do that. Did they make him more disrespectful as an attempt for him to be more "street"?
Old 01-01-2016, 10:29 PM   #22
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

What a letdown.
I have a multitude of Star Wars tattoos. I am about the biggest fan you could meet. I wanted to like this movie.

It was trash. Disney makes a Star Wars movie. Say what you will about the prequels, at least Lucas tried to be creative. The Force Awakens was the least original of any of the franchise. Horribly paced. The hero was the ultimate Mary Sue. The villain was a dismal brat. And Abrams had the audacity to kill of the most beloved character in the entire series.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:48 PM   #23
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Realistically, you're comparing Star Wars to Jurassic World, Avengers 2, Mad Max, Abrams Star Trek, etc. I think it stacks up quite well against those.

And anyone looking for some wholly original concept might as well not see a big budget movie. Oh sorry, you've got Jupiter Ascending. That was a real winner.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:34 PM   #24
Underdog

Quote:
Realistically, you're comparing Star Wars to Jurassic World, Avengers 2, Mad Max, Abrams Star Trek, etc. I think it stacks up quite well against those.
Other than Mad Max, I'd say those movies also suffered from the same problems as The Force Awakens... Jurassic World was a sh!tty rehash of Jurassic Park that used nostalgia as a crutch while Avengers 2 was far too preoccupied with setting up the next 5 Marvel films to actually give a sh!t about the movie at hand.

Quote:
And anyone looking for some wholly original concept might as well not see a big budget movie.
It's a sequel, so nobody was expecting a "wholly original concept", but I certainly didn't think the movie was going to end up being completely unoriginal... I walked in expecting something on par with Star Trek 2009 (not wholly original, but not a complete ripoff of anything), and I walked out getting Star Trek Into Darkness (which was just a carbon copy of Wrath of Kahn the same way The Force Awakens was a carbon copy of A New Hope).

Fact: The Phantom Menace is more original than The Force Awakens (and it sickens me that I just typed those words, but it's the sad truth...)

Quote:
Oh sorry, you've got Jupiter Ascending. That was a real winner.
Nice cherry-pick... Counter argument: Guardians of the Galaxy.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-02-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:46 PM   #25
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Who gives a sh** if Phantom Menace is more original than TFA? That doesn't make it a better movie. Fact: Metachlorians, Jar Jar, terrible acting, terrible dialogue, horrible pacing aren't good...period. It had some cool effects for its time and a better soundtrack than TFA....and that's it.

And Guardians isn't some original masterpiece. It's mindless entertainment just the same.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:00 PM   #26
Underdog

Quote:
Who gives a sh** if Phantom Menace is more original than TFA? That doesn't make it a better movie. Fact: Metachlorians, Jar Jar, terrible acting, terrible dialogue, horrible pacing aren't good...period. It had some cool effects for its time and a better soundtrack than TFA....and that's it.
I never said it was better, just that it was more original... And when a piece of sh!t like The Phantom Menace beats you out on PLOT, then I'd say your movie has a problem... I mean, Star Wars isn't high art -- if the story isn't interesting then you've got NOTHING.

Quote:
And Guardians isn't some original masterpiece. It's mindless entertainment just the same.
But it was fresh sci-fi adventure whereas The Force Awakens was uninspired and lazy... Seriously, TFA plays like Mad Libs: A New Hope.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-02-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:19 PM   #27
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Even A New Hope isn't really original. It is basically a carbon copy of Joseph Campbell's Hero's Journey. http://www.thewritersjourney.com/hero's_journey.htm

Guardians was a fun movie, but it was more original in that it wasn't a dark, feel bad about yourself movie that superhero movies have mostly turned into these days. And anyway, Guardians was relatively a much smaller movie than Star Wars in which you can take more risks. And Disney even admitted it was a risk. No way they do that with the first movie of a franchise they just spent 4 billion on. They can be more original with Rogue One or the next episodes from here on. And the Chinese market really has changed how these types of movies are made.

Anyway, it wasn't a great movie by any means, but I felt I got my money's worth at least.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:28 PM   #28
Underdog

Quote:
Anyway, it wasn't a great movie by any means, but I felt I got my money's worth at least.
I agree with the first part...

Old 01-05-2016, 01:19 AM   #29
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a pretty middling Star Wars fan, but I liked it quite a bit as a movie, and I actually would put it in the category of "great." Not great all time, but one of the ten or so best movies in 2015.

To UD's point, personally, it doesn't bother me at all that the story wasn't original. In fact, I think it makes perfect sense to hew this first one closely to formula. If 8 and 9 are carbon copies, I'll reconsider how I feel about this.

Also, I think the notion of "originality" in movie plots (and stories in general aside from medium) is overhyped. Some of the best stories ever told are completely unoriginal. If you can be original and great, that's terrific. But that's a rare feat, and I don't think originality is a necessary or a sufficient condition for quality.

Negatives: Pacing was awkward (though I understand why), and though Daisy Ridley did a good job, Rey was a huge Mary Sue. Had no problem with the other characters, and I actually thought it was an outstanding choice to make the villain a young, teenage-angst type. That's much more interesting and leaves much more room for character arc than a ready-made villain (not that the latter is bad).

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:09 PM   #30
Murphy3
Guru

I really didn't care about the "unoriginal" part... Just didn't think it was all that great. The villain was terrible once he took off his mask. Finn was annoying at times largely due to the script. It was a pretty good to good movie. And yes, I'd put it on par with Avengers 2 which was pretty good. It falls way short of the Mad Max reboot and Creed (it seems we're talking sequels/prequels here). I would say that it fit nicely in the prequel/sequel camp somewhere close to Jurassic World but probably slightly behind it.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:33 PM   #31
Underdog

Episode IV: 10 nominations, 6 wins, 1 Special Achievement Award (sound effects)
Episode V: 3 nominations, 1 win, 1 Special Achievement Award (visual effects)
Episode VI: 4 nominations, 0 wins, 1 Special Achievement Award (visual effects)

Episode I: 3 nominations, 0 wins
Episode II: 1 nomination, 0 wins
Episode III: 1 nomination, 0 wins

Episode VII: 4 nominations, 0 wins

Old 02-29-2016, 03:45 PM   #32
Murphy3
Guru

In all honesty, none of the last 5 deserved much of anything at least from the categories that matter.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:46 PM   #33
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I really didn't care about the "unoriginal" part... Just didn't think it was all that great. The villain was terrible once he took off his mask. Finn was annoying at times largely due to the script. It was a pretty good to good movie. And yes, I'd put it on par with Avengers 2 which was pretty good. It falls way short of the Mad Max reboot and Creed (it seems we're talking sequels/prequels here). I would say that it fit nicely in the prequel/sequel camp somewhere close to Jurassic World but probably slightly behind it.
What was I thinking?... it's more than slightly behind Jurassic World.. It's more on par with The Hobbit movies..
Old 04-07-2016, 09:15 AM   #34
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Rogue one looks pretty good.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:02 AM   #35
Underdog

Quote:
Rogue one looks pretty good.
Fool me once, shame on you... Fool me over & over & over & over again since 1983, shame on my dumb ass for never growing up enough to spot a scam.

If I've learned anything over the years, it's that Star Wars banks hard on GenX's blind nostalgia to overhype their mediocre franchise and keep the cash flowing in... The brand has absolutely nothing new to offer at this point, that's why they're retreading prequel territory (again).

Hell, The Force Awakens was so unoriginal that they're still mining the old characters/plots for new movies. In addition to Rogue One, there's Han Solo, Boba Fett and Obi Wan Kenobi prequels in the works. I guess Emo Darth Vader Remix, Orange Yoda Chick, and iPhone Storm Troopers don't milk those nostalgia bucks like the original characters.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-07-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:27 AM   #36
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Fool me once, shame on you... Fool me over & over & over & over again since 1983, shame on my dumb ass for never growing up enough to spot a scam.

If I've learned anything over the years, it's that Star Wars banks hard on GenX's blind nostalgia to overhype their mediocre franchise and keep the cash flowing in... The brand has absolutely nothing new to offer at this point, that's why they're retreading prequel territory (again).

Hell, The Force Awakens was so unoriginal that they're still mining the old characters/plots for new movies. In addition to Rogue One, there's Han Solo, Boba Fett and Obi Wan Kenobi prequels in the works. I guess Emo Darth Vader Remix, Orange Yoda Chick, and iPhone Storm Troopers don't milk those nostalgia bucks like the original characters.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:46 AM   #37
Underdog

A meme is always better than a cogent argument -- it saves you from having to think too much, which is perfect for fans of the last Star Wars movie... It's not just TFA that was unoriginal; Rogue One is going to show us a Death Star for the 6th time in 8 movies. Like, they can't come up with ANYTHING new?

The Star Wars universe just gets smaller and smaller with each recycled idea. Enjoy your recursive loop, I guess. I'm getting off this ride.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:53 AM   #38
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
A meme is always better than a cogent argument -- it saves you from having to think too much, which is perfect for fans of the last Star Wars movie... It's not just TFA that was unoriginal; Rogue One is going to show us a Death Star for the 6th time in 8 movies. Like, they can't come up with ANYTHING new?

The Star Wars universe just gets smaller and smaller with each recycled idea. Enjoy your recursive loop, I guess. I'm getting off this ride.
Oh please, you've posted more memes on here than are generated on meme generator.

It's just that the 1000 butt hurt star wars fans are in the slim minority of those who didn't like TFA. Not much else to argue, and you can feel free to read my responses in the rest of the thread.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:48 AM   #39
Underdog

Quote:
It's just that the 1000 butt hurt star wars fans are in the slim minority of those who didn't like TFA.
So it's good because it's popular? Is that where our standards are now? (/checks polls to see Donald Trump still leading the Republicans). Yep.

I mean, I'm sure the multi-billion dollar cinematic equivalent of McDonalds is going to do just fine without my money, but that doesn't mean I don't have the right to be offended with the uninspired cash grabs they've churned out over the last 2 decades.

But by all means, don't let me keep you from enjoying Star Wars: McRib One... I hear it's popular, so it must be good for you.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-07-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:21 PM   #40
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
So it's good because it's popular? Is that where our standards are now? (/checks polls to see Donald Trump still leading the Republicans). Yep.

I mean, I'm sure the multi-billion dollar cinematic equivalent of McDonalds is going to do just fine without my money, but that doesn't mean I don't have the right to be offended with the uninspired cash grabs they've churned out over the last 2 decades.

But by all means, don't let me keep you from enjoying Star Wars: McRib One... I hear it's popular, so it must be good for you.
You can say that about basically any big budget movie these days. And if you mention the Marvel movies, then you've lost me as those are now the most rehashed seen it over and over over stuff again and again. I'd rather see star wars stuff over marvel stuff. None of it is original. Like do you honestly think there will be anything original in Captain America Civil War? Wow, they even have spider man show up at the end! Never seen him before! Wish he'd get his own movie though since we haven't had any of those lately...

Just don't think your expectations are adjusted for the reality of broad appeal billion dollar blockbusters in today's day and age.

I get it, you didn't like star wars TFA and go on to bitch and cry about it every time I post here.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 04-07-2016 at 12:24 PM.