Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Dallas-Mavs.com Stuff

Old 04-19-2007, 05:59 PM   #1
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute
Default too many threads by new posters

honestly can this be looked at? Can we make it so you need to have 100 or 200 posts minimum to post a new thread? I can't be the only one getting annoyed by this.

And I'm not saying all new posters are stupider than regular posters, but most of these repetitive threads (I'd say at least 90%) are being started by posters with <20 posts total.

Also.. it's only going to get worse when people jump on the mavs bandwagon as the playoffs progress.

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 04-19-2007 at 05:59 PM.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2007, 06:03 PM   #2
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

I PMed U2 about this a couple of weeks ago and he never responded.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

I understand your frustration, but if someone is intent on creating their version of a thread, then they'll simply meet the minimum requirement and then post their thread.

I suggest that you do what I do, if you think the thread is lousy, then just don't add to it, and move on to a thread more to your liking.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:06 PM   #4
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

That would make sense, by about 200 posts people should be familiar with what is 'thread worthy' and what isn't.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:12 PM   #5
come_on_now

come_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the rough

This is an internet forum, not a think tank for how to stop an asteroid from hitting Earth. Let's not get too full of yourselves.

I don't care how many posts you have or anyone here. I've been there and done that being the top poster on Cowboys forums, the most popular guy, most loved and most hated at the same time so your speech bores me. Having 3,000 or 18,000 posts doesn't make your opinion on the Mavs any more qualified than mine. All it says is that you have nothing else to do. I've been that guy... I know exactly how that works.

I may be new, but every thread I start I makes sure and bring a perspective that hasn't been discussed and I want it seen, not buried in the 200 posts of a thread going supernova.

If you can't deal with this and you think your forum is so prescious that someone new to this particular forum can't possibly have anything of value to contribute unless they've posted a lot of times let me know I'll be glad to move on.
come_on_now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:16 PM   #6
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

It happens every post season now that the Mavs are this good.

It's going to get worse before it gets better, just learn to live with it.

The mods will do their best, but honestly you can't just prevent people from starting threads, it IS a message board.

Just try to ignore it. Honestly, it got to the point last year that I skimmed the large threads looking for stuff from about 10-15 posters. There's just so much to read in the middle of the playoffs.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:17 PM   #7
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by come_on_now
This is an internet forum, not a think tank for how to stop an asteroid from hitting Earth. Let's not get too full of yourselves.

I don't care how many posts you have or anyone here. I've been there and done that being the top poster on Cowboys forums, the most popular guy, most loved and most hated at the same time so your speech bores me. Having 3,000 or 18,000 posts doesn't make your opinion on the Mavs any more qualified than mine. All it says is that you have nothing else to do. I've been that guy... I know exactly how that works.

I may be new, but every thread I start I makes sure and bring a perspective that hasn't been discussed and I want it seen, not buried in the 200 posts of a thread going supernova.

If you can't deal with this and you think your forum is so prescious that someone new to this particular forum can't possibly have anything of value to contribute unless they've posted a lot of times let me know I'll be glad to move on.
Wow-zer.

My point was that 99% of the people starting new threads are people who are hiding behind the mask of the internet, so they think it's cool to be a tard or it's cool to spam our board into meaninglessness.

Not saying all new posters are like this (you are obviously a passionate and knowledgeable mavs fan, so I'm obviously not referring to you). But since new posters that are like you are the minority, this rule makes sense to me.

Maybe if contributing posters such as yourself havent reached the poster mark, you could PM another member to create the thread you'd like to be discussed. I don't see the difference if you make the thread or someone else.

And my speech bores you? Pa--lease. I didn't make this thread because I think I'm cool or important... I made it because I see almost EVERY regular poster complaining about this very thing on multiple posts.

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 04-19-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:22 PM   #8
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

How's the weather up there?

Its not about new posters not having valuable opinions. Its about trying to minimize unneccessary clutter. If you're really into things like "Warrior Hate" or looking at a front page filled with identical threads, I suggest you try www.mavtalk.com or the lovely espn message boards.

All that we're asking here is for a little bit of consideration.

Is it really too much to ask?

You are certainly one of the "good" new members that we have.

But you really missed the point of this thread.

Edited: To be nice. That's right, this is me being nice....see the smiley?

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 04-19-2007 at 06:54 PM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:03 PM   #9
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Minimum post requirements also stop SPAM. And P0RN.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:06 PM   #10
Henry_VIII

Henry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to all

Since I fit the bill as a new member, one thing I'd like to suggest to help maintain the atmosphere that the long-timers have established is to add to the FAQ section the guidelines for creating a new thread (ie what IS threadworthy).
Of course, there will not be full agreement as to what that guideline is, but there are some obvious ones. Like, read through/search posts from the last week that deal with the same topic before posting a new one. Also, it seems there is a general consensus (from the comments I've read) that there should only be a handful of active threads with most of the comments in those threads. I know I'm in the minority, but I did read through the FAQ to see what the guidelines/rules were for posting, and I never came across anything close to describing these kind of expectations. The only reason I know now is because of the harassment of the new posters who also may not have known. Even if someone were to just lurk for a few weeks, it would not be clear as to these expectations. Even though these things may seem obvious to you, they may not be for someone else.
I, for one, do not want to change the community but join it and contribute. I would guess many of the violators have similar intentions, but may need a little help
Henry_VIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:12 PM   #11
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan
I PMed U2 about this a couple of weeks ago and he never responded.
You did?

I don't see it....
Old 04-19-2007, 07:13 PM   #12
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry_VIII
Since I fit the bill as a new member, one thing I'd like to suggest to help maintain the atmosphere that the long-timers have established is to add to the FAQ section the guidelines for creating a new thread (ie what IS threadworthy).
The people that are spamming the new threads are the same people that won't take the time to read the FAQ.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:20 PM   #13
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
You did?

I don't see it....
Let me correct myself. I see it now, on 4-6.... I don't recall reading that one and I apologize for not responding but to be honest I don't remember it. I usually get a popup when I get a PM, and I don't get PM's very often so I usually read them right away. I must have read it because it doesn't show any unread (bolded). Anyway....

On to your PM, that is a great idea but I don't know if that can be done. DJ would have to respond to that. I know there are vb hacks that can be installed to do stuff like that I think. As for spam (which your PM centered on) there is one that requires the registerer to check a box saying that you are a human that I've heard works pretty well (to get rid of auto-bots).

Anyway, PM DJ about it and I'll start a Mod Lounge thread about it.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 04-19-2007 at 07:21 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:25 PM   #14
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
You did?

I don't see it....
Oh well. I basically just asked if it was even possible to set up a minimum post count requirement. And I only envisioned it around 100 max. It doesn't take that long to get to 100 posts, so it's hardly elitism.

But really I don't see how to come up with a solid plan to limit unnecessary threads. I certainly don't appreciate it when people spontaneously post new threads that either don't mean anything ("im so ready for the playoffs but im nervous too lol discuss"), or bring something up that we already have threads for ("did you know joey crawford was suspended i bet you didnt lol"). Somehow that needs to be communicated to new posters without expecting them to look up the FAQ.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:28 PM   #15
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

What is the list of mods?

It seems like u2 has to shoulder a little too much of the mod burden sometimes IMO.

I've complained about the trolls and the inane ne wthread starting as much as anyone, but I'm coming to the realization that we just have to learn to live with it.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:40 PM   #16
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Flaco:

List of mods are:

kg_veteran
Rhylan
aexchange
LonestarRob
mavsfanforever (isn't around much but usually shows up around playoff time)
MavsFanFinley (whom has disappeared into the wild blue yonder)

And just a comment on "trolls". I know it's popular to call a poster from another team a "troll" automatically but honestly that isn't true. Actual "trolls" will be immediately banned. I consider a "troll" a poster that is here to just start a fight, or mess up the board with a bunch of new threads bashing the Mavs for instance (like happened last night... it took me 20 minutes to catch him though but usually we are faster).

If a fan of another team wants to talk about BBall and his team in particular (and his confidence in it) that is perfectly fine. We should welcome that as a Basketball community.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:40 PM   #17
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It seems like u2 has to shoulder a little too much of the mod burden sometimes IMO.

I gagree.

Can we get the man some help?

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
Old 04-19-2007, 07:42 PM   #18
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
I gagree.
Underrated line
Old 04-19-2007, 09:06 PM   #19
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

U2 does a great job keeping this place running. I agree with the new posters posting too many new threads though. I think if there was even a 25 post minimum to start a thread it would help because to get that many posts you have to actually look around the forum. Lots of times new posters just come on and post a new thread without even checking if there's another existing one that's similar.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:27 PM   #20
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
U2 does a great job keeping this place running. I agree with the new posters posting too many new threads though. I think if there was even a 25 post minimum to start a thread it would help because to get that many posts you have to actually look around the forum. Lots of times new posters just come on and post a new thread without even checking if there's another existing one that's similar.
That's the problem, it's not so much 'new' posters just the fact that people aren't checking (or not thinking) that possibly something they post could be put into another thread. It makes discussion difficult when there are seven threads about one large topic that could stimulate a few different discussions. But really, why not just mesh all the Warriors talk into one thread? Just an example.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:01 PM   #21
Chicken Diavlo

Chicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really nice

Minimum posts sound good. The only potential problem I see is getting an idiot who will spam up good threads just so he can make it to that mark. Another potential problem would be scaring off a good member. What if someone joins, has a good idea for discussion, and then gets pissed and leaves when they realize they can't create a new thread until 100 posts later. Some people could be like me, and be around a lot, but not really post too often. So that means it'd take awhile for them to be considered tenured enough to create threads...

What I suggest is a required general IQ test at registration, and if they score below a certain margin, then we put the posting restrictions on them. If not... then they can create new threads!

That, or make a sub-forum off of General Mavs Discussion: "General Mavs Discussion for idiots"

So pretty much, this post is a pointless way of saying that I think you have to deal with the posters... or risk coming off as elitist assholes and scare off quality new members. Guess it just depends on if you think the good would outweigh the bad by doing that.
Chicken Diavlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:19 PM   #22
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan
Minimum post requirements also stop SPAM. And P0RN.
wait, maybe we should let the porn in.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:24 AM   #23
fluid.forty.one

MavsX, baby, you can start all the new threads you want.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:26 AM   #24
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Diavlo
Minimum posts sound good. The only potential problem I see is getting an idiot who will spam up good threads just so he can make it to that mark. Another potential problem would be scaring off a good member. What if someone joins, has a good idea for discussion, and then gets pissed and leaves when they realize they can't create a new thread until 100 posts later. Some people could be like me, and be around a lot, but not really post too often. So that means it'd take awhile for them to be considered tenured enough to create threads..
If the guy starts spamming up good threads he will/should be banned. I don't think a 20 post minimum to start new threads will scare off any good new members, but I do agree that a minimum post count of 100 would be too much. 20 posts allows the person to realize what's thread worthy, cuts down on spam, and makes them look around the forum before posting a thread that is similar to an existing one.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:53 AM   #25
Chicken Diavlo

Chicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really nice

Yeah, I do think 20 sounds reasonable. If anyone bitches... well... uh... too bad.
Chicken Diavlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:21 AM   #26
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
wait, maybe we should let the porn in.
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to post that line...

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:36 AM   #27
come_on_now

come_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
Wow-zer.

My point was that 99% of the people starting new threads are people who are hiding behind the mask of the internet, so they think it's cool to be a tard or it's cool to spam our board into meaninglessness.

Not saying all new posters are like this (you are obviously a passionate and knowledgeable mavs fan, so I'm obviously not referring to you). But since new posters that are like you are the minority, this rule makes sense to me.

Maybe if contributing posters such as yourself havent reached the poster mark, you could PM another member to create the thread you'd like to be discussed. I don't see the difference if you make the thread or someone else.

And my speech bores you? Pa--lease. I didn't make this thread because I think I'm cool or important... I made it because I see almost EVERY regular poster complaining about this very thing on multiple posts.
First of all, my apologies for my brash statement on your "speech". That was a crappy way of putting it and, well, sometimes I do that so when I do just ignore it. It's a part of who I am unfortunately. And I believe I overreacted a bit. This is the first time on a basketball forum, I've been on Cowboys forums since '97 and might be a bit self-conscious about saying something stupid. I'm not nearly as sharp on this game as in football so that's probably where that came from. Just being honest.

Anyway, my point of view is it's never a good idea to restrict everyone because of some bad apples. Just let the bad apples hang themselves (blowing out BS threads). If they get the message and adapt they'll probably be good contributers. If they get bored and leave you never wanted 'em. You find out everything you need to know that way.
come_on_now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:03 AM   #28
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
First of all, my apologies for my brash statement on your "speech". That was a crappy way of putting it and, well, sometimes I do that so when I do just ignore it. It's a part of who I am unfortunately. And I believe I overreacted a bit. This is the first time on a basketball forum, I've been on Cowboys forums since '97 and might be a bit self-conscious about saying something stupid. I'm not nearly as sharp on this game as in football so that's probably where that came from. Just being honest.

Anyway, my point of view is it's never a good idea to restrict everyone because of some bad apples. Just let the bad apples hang themselves (blowing out BS threads). If they get the message and adapt they'll probably be good contributers. If they get bored and leave you never wanted 'em. You find out everything you need to know that way.
I think the point that regulars are trying to make is that with all this new spam by some newbies, it makes it hard to find meaningful posts, so regulars tend to not contribute so much. If the regulars stop contributing then this message board will take a new identity that this forum was not built on.

Another option I see, is to give newbies their own thread to post thoughts. Then as some of us regulars read their post, then we can being their rep points up, so that they could start their own threads in the regular sections. I think the post count min. to start a thread is fine, but I think rep points would be a better measure of how well a newbie can contribute.

As far as the bad apples, I think it takes too long for them to leave. Here in the last two months, I have seen a sharp decline from regular posters, and I feel it is because of all this newbie problems with starting a thread for every thought. JMVHO.

So, my vote would be on rep points before you are able to start a thread. What do the regulars think on this? U2?DJ?
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:31 AM   #29
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

You have to read and contribute a lot, to get some rep points. I think Silks idea is way better than the suggestion with the quantity of posts.

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:25 AM   #30
fluid.forty.one

I think a minimum of rep points is an excellent idea.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:13 AM   #31
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Just to let you guys know.... you are making large assumptions with the reputation thing being the barometer used.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:46 AM   #32
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

Maybe the best solution is a mix of rep points, number of posts and a minimum period, you have to be member of this board?

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:50 AM   #33
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
Wow-zer.

Then why did you flame my thread for posting an updated standings thread? I don't think that falls under spam or "thinking it's cool to be a tard" I think you act like a tard and take this forum WAAAAAAAAAYY too seriously. Lighten up, it's just words.

You've been given the suggestion multiple times to just ignore the threads you don't like. But that's too much to handle for you I guess? It just shows your immaturity.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 04-20-2007 at 10:52 AM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:01 AM   #34
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
You've been given the suggestion multiple times to just ignore the threads you don't like. But that's too much to handle for you I guess? It just shows your immaturity.
Its already been pointed out why this doesn't always work.

I'll try to spell out for you the best I can...I'll go real slow.

The point is, when a bunch of regulars are IGNORING the board, then we no longer get contributions from those regulars. I agree that things can be ignored from time to time, but when the quality of the message board is being impacted, then you discuss other solutions.

And that's what we're doing here....discussing a solution.

If you have some contribution, please feel free.

If you've got nothing to do than call a well-respected, established member, "immature" and a "tard"...then please find somewhere else for your verbal diaherrea.

You're exactly the type of poster that's annoying me.

The very idea that people can just behave however they please, and others just have to endure...says that you really have no idea what maturity is all about.

Last edited by mary; 04-20-2007 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:09 AM   #35
mary
Troll Hunter

The thing about rep...is that there are actually some established members that actually have negative rep points (mostly due to a former member..if you know what I mean!).

The rep thing seems like a bad idea.

Last edited by mary; 04-20-2007 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:09 AM   #36
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
Its already been pointed out why this doesn't always work.

I'll try to spell out for you the best I can...I'll go real slow.

The point is, when a bunch of regulars are IGNORING the board, then we no longer get contributions from those regulars. I agree that things can be ignored from time to time, but when the quality of the message board is being impacted, then you discuss other solutions.

And that's what we're doing here....discussing a solution.

If you have something contribution, please feel free.

If you've got nothing to do than call a well-respected, established member, "immature" and a "tard"...then please find somewhere else for your verbal diaherrea.

You're exactly the type of poster that's annoying me.

Well I hope you don't take your forum rage out in public when you're driving or something, could be dangerous for closeby traffic.

You're too old to be acting like that. A 31 year old woman talking on a forum?

Here's what I can contribute, GET OVER IT! Most of the threads you guys are complaining about aren't bad. You just think you have some type of power because you've been here along time and that you can bitch about everything. It's rediculous, you aren't contributing ANYTHING by flaming on threads all the time. Nobody cares that you have 123,343 posts. Get over yourself.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 04-20-2007 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:14 AM   #37
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Well I hope you don't take your forum rage out in public when you're driving or something, could be dangerous for closeby traffic.

You're too old to be acting like that. A 31 year old woman talkingt on a forum?
Again, we're having a discussion - and you have nothing to offer but insults. Gee, I really care that some fucktard calls me "not so attractive".

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 04-20-2007 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:14 AM   #38
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

never mind...I don't care

Last edited by Flacolaco; 04-20-2007 at 11:15 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:15 AM   #39
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

Well hey you've doing to same to me and have been since I've joined mary, so give and receive.

Latest Reputation Received
Thread Date Posted By Comment
Thread Worthy? 04-17-2007 06:14 AM mary Idiot.

I was here to be a fan of the Mavs, but I've been flamed every since I've joined. I didn't come here to start these type of fights, I came here to show my appreciation of the Mavs. Some of you with a large post count want to treat people that are new like crap for no reason. It's really pathetic, this is supposed to be about your support of a team not how many posts you have or how bad ass of a forum poster you are.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 04-20-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:19 AM   #40
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Well hey you've doing to same to me and have been since I've joined mary, so give and receive.
I gave you one negative rep, and then apologized for calling you an idiot.

Who needs to get over it?