View Poll Results: What is Roddy?
Point Guard 23 24.47%
Shooting Guard 19 20.21%
Combo Guard 52 55.32%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rodrigue Beaubois: SG or PG?

So a lot of people are saying we need to drop Jet and let Roddy play his spot. Where does that leave us in the back up PG role? Has roddy shown enough to be considered a distributor as well as a scoring option for this team or is he just JET with the ability to drive to the basket whenever he wants?

How do we solve our backup PG needs?
Old 04-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
ETres

ETres has a spectacular aura aboutETres has a spectacular aura about

First post here. Not a b-ball expert, but a (disappointed) Mavs fan. Here's my shallow analysis...

Roddy looks to me like a SG for now, but with the raw potential to play some PG. I think they'd be wise to give him some minutes at PG and see how he responds.

He's rough around the edges, but such a tremendous athlete. They gotta give him a chance to smooth out his game - which means more minutes. I think he is the "X" factor for the Mavs in the next couple of years.
ETres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Kinda hard to say - I've never really seen him play PG in the NBA...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-30-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
dirkadirkastany

dirkadirkastany is infamous around these parts

He definitely has playmaking ability, but its too early to see him at the pg position. He belongs at the shooting guard I can't help but think this series might have ended differently had RC put in Roddy in games 3 and 4. IMO, its probably one of the key factors that cost the Mavs the series.

Last edited by dirkadirkastany; 04-30-2010 at 03:01 PM.
dirkadirkastany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
mavssuckok
Banned

mavssuckok can only hope to improve

When I was a teenager, I was in an iron-lung.

Last edited by mary; 04-30-2010 at 03:26 PM.
mavssuckok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

He can definitely be developed into a PG. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't watched the developments of these new slashing PG.
I think he has to start getting PG minutes next year.

BEAT LA

Last edited by badfish22; 04-30-2010 at 03:09 PM.
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #7
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

who cares what he is/plays...jus give him some damn minutes!!
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:46 PM   #8
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETres View Post
First post here. Not a b-ball expert, but a (disappointed) Mavs fan. Here's my shallow analysis...

Roddy looks to me like a SG for now, but with the raw potential to play some PG. I think they'd be wise to give him some minutes at PG and see how he responds.

He's rough around the edges, but such a tremendous athlete. They gotta give him a chance to smooth out his game - which means more minutes. I think he is the "X" factor for the Mavs in the next couple of years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkadirkastany View Post
He definitely has playmaking ability, but its too early to see him at the pg position. He belongs at the shooting guard I can't help but think this series might have ended differently had RC put in Roddy in games 3 and 4. IMO, its probably one of the key factors that cost the Mavs the series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavssuckok View Post
When I was a teenager, I was in an iron-lung.
Who are these people?
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:37 PM   #9
cinemablend

cinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to all

He needs to start at SG next year and get ALL of the backup PG minutes.

Barea needs to be traded to get rid of the temptation for RC to play him.

If he does well in the role then I would start increasing his minutes at PG throughout the year and decreating Kidd's.
cinemablend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:38 PM   #10
cinemablend

cinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Kinda hard to say - I've never really seen him play PG in the NBA...
So I guess you didn't watch Game 6 the other night? Because for several long stretches he was playing the Point while Kidd was playing the off guard in the half court. And he did well.

He's played PG several times throughout the year too.
cinemablend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:18 PM   #11
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

the put the ball in his hands and get everyone else the hell out of his way position
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:35 PM   #12
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

He is allready able to play the 2, so let him learn the whole summer the PG position so he become even more versatile.

I prefer a PG with a great size than an undersized SG
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:42 PM   #13
Popeye

Popeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to behold

He's a point guard. That was obvious to anyone that watched summer league last year.
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:53 PM   #14
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

The ideal situation would be for him to be a combo guard in the Derek Harper mode, in a three-guard rotation like Harp had with Ro and Brad. That would require a starting 2 who was worth a crap, though. I don't think Butler is it, as I think he's best at the 3.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:14 AM   #15
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

He is a 2 guard and its not even close, he plays at one pace which is fine but you can''t be playing one on three running up the floor. He just doesn't have the vision or passing of a point guard and he is best defensively off ball, on ball he picks up lots of dumb fouls.

This really is a telling sign:http://www.82games.com/0910/09DAL2.HTM
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:16 AM   #16
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
The ideal situation would be for him to be a combo guard in the Derek Harper mode, in a three-guard rotation like Harp had with Ro and Brad. That would require a starting 2 who was worth a crap, though. I don't think Butler is it, as I think he's best at the 3.
He is a 2 guard we need a 2 guard who can also play the point (D Wade or Joe I think both can) so Roddy can come off the bench as a 6th man and stay at the 2 and the 2 guard will back up the point
Old 05-01-2010, 12:20 AM   #17
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
He is a 2 guard and its not even close, he plays at one pace which is fine but you can''t be playing one on three running up the floor. He just doesn't have the vision or passing of a point guard and he is best defensively off ball, on ball he picks up lots of dumb fouls.

This really is a telling sign:http://www.82games.com/0910/09DAL2.HTM
1. His PG stats on that are better than JJs PG stats across the board.
2. Rajon Rondo looked like he had no vision either his rookie year.
3. He was really playing point last night.

BEAT LA
Old 05-01-2010, 12:24 AM   #18
pkdumas
Golden Member

pkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360 View Post
How do we solve our backup PG needs?
Well, Kidd is our backup PG, so that's solved. Now how about a starting PG? (I voted Beaubois as Combo Guard, not to mention Best Combo Guard in the NBA).
Old 05-01-2010, 12:49 AM   #19
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish22 View Post
1. His PG stats on that are better than JJs PG stats across the board.
3. He was really playing point last night.
He is a better PG than Barea, thats not saying much though, he is a much better 2 than he is a 1 though.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:50 AM   #20
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkdumas View Post
Well, Kidd is our backup PG, so that's solved. Now how about a starting PG? (I voted Beaubois as Combo Guard, not to mention Best Combo Guard in the NBA).
D Wade laughs at your stupidity
Old 05-01-2010, 01:21 AM   #21
badfish22
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
He is a better PG than Barea, thats not saying much though, he is a much better 2 than he is a 1 though.
I agree that right now he is a much better 2 than a 1. But I think its foolish to deny that he can develop into a PG.

BEAT LA
Old 05-03-2010, 06:58 AM   #22
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a combo guard from Rick's quote...

"We just got done talking to him about this summer and the things we'd like him to do to continue to develop his game, both as a guy that plays off the ball and a guy that plays with the ball."

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #23
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Mavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Sounds like a combo guard from Rick's quote...

"We just got done talking to him about this summer and the things we'd like him to do to continue to develop his game, both as a guy that plays off the ball and a guy that plays with the ball."

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks
What do you think of this trade idea?

To Clippers: Jason Terry
To Mavericks: Baron Davis

Baron Davis backs up Kidd at the pg spot. Roddy plays the 2.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #24
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavericks Rockets Fan View Post
What do you think of this trade idea?

To Clippers: Jason Terry
To Mavericks: Baron Davis

Baron Davis backs up Kidd at the pg spot. Roddy plays the 2.
Great idea...

But why would the Clippers want Terry over Davis?

Last edited by Underdog; 05-03-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:43 AM   #25
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He can definitely be developed into a PG. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't watched the developments of these new slashing PG.
I think he has to start getting PG minutes next year.
I see no reason he couldn't be a pg in the mold of Tony Parker...

but bc of his great scoring ability, I voted combo guard.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #26
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Mavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to all
Quote:
Great idea...

But why would the Clippers want Terry over Davis?
Well, they get to dump Davis' massive contract on us. Terry provides someone who could score off the bench (someone they don't have right now). And Terry's contract is one year shorter. Also if anything Davis has been a underachiever for them. And of course I am assuming that they'll go ahead and resign Steve Blake - but I have no idea if that will happen or not (or if Steve Blake even wants to resign with the Clippers).

Yeah it is a bit of a reach. We might have to throw a pick in to sweeten the deal...
Old 05-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #27
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
I see no reason he couldn't be a pg in the mold of Tony Parker...

but bc of his great scoring ability, I voted combo guard.
With his scoring ability, I don't think you'd ever want him to be solely a distributor. Most of the top PGs today score and distribute.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #28
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Nothing wrong with a scoring PG.

In fact I feel the more of a scoring threat he becomes the better distributor he will become. He's going to be a guy that demands a lot of attention and double teams which will in turn open up a lot of opportunities for guys to get open shots. The more the ball is in his hands the better. The passing and vision will come with time and experience.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:25 AM   #29
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran View Post
With his scoring ability, I don't think you'd ever want him to be solely a distributor. Most of the top PGs today score and distribute.
Yup. And his insane speed would probably make him most like Tony Parker/Devin Harris...not like one of the stronger guys like Williams, Paul, or Westbrook.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:25 AM   #30
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavericks Rockets Fan View Post
Well, they get to dump Davis' massive contract on us. Terry provides someone who could score off the bench (someone they don't have right now). And Terry's contract is one year shorter. Also if anything Davis has been a underachiever for them. And of course I am assuming that they'll go ahead and resign Steve Blake - but I have no idea if that will happen or not (or if Steve Blake even wants to resign with the Clippers).

Yeah it is a bit of a reach. We might have to throw a pick in to sweeten the deal...
Signing Terry ain't saving them much - they could find better suitors for Davis than Dallas (not to mention that we'd have to throw in another bad contract like Najera to even make the salaries match...)

Old 05-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #31
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Quote:
Signing Terry ain't saving them much - they could find better suitors for Davis than Dallas (not to mention that we'd have to throw in another bad contract like Najera to even make the salaries match...)
Which team needs Davis that could offer a better deal? I'll limit it to playoff teams.

LA - Fisher is not so good. A possibility here.
Suns - have Nash
Denver - have Billups
Utah - have Williams
Portland - have Miller
SA - have Parker
OKC - have Westbrook

Cleveland - have Mo Williams
Orlando - have Nelson
Atlanta - have Bibby
Boston - have Rondo
Miami - Arroyo not the greatest. A possibility here too.
Milwaukee - have Jennings
Charlotte - have Felton
Chicago - have Rose

I could only find two playoff teams that are possibly interested in Davis.

Btw, I believe the salaries are within 125% of each other. So we wouldn't have to include Najera. [correct me here if I'm wrong]

And I genuinely believe that Terry would help them out. They were the lowest scoring team in the Western Conference. They really do need someone like him...

Last edited by Mavericks Rockets Fan; 05-03-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Mavericks Rockets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #32
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Rondo still averaged 5.8 assists per 36 minutes his rookie year, a decent amount more than Roddy's 3.8.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:53 AM   #33
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

As for me, I see Roddy more in the mold of JET, but with a higher ceiling. If you can pair him with a bigger point guard that distributes well and defend 2s, that would be ideal in my book and probably maximize his talents.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 05-03-2010, 12:39 PM   #34
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Jason Terry was given the opportunity to prove that he wasn't a point guard in the league, Roddy should be given the same opportunity.

I don't get the criticism that he plays more like a shooting guard. He spent 80% of his time this year at shooting guard. What was he supposed to play like?
Old 05-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #35
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Roddy should be given heavy minutes at times the 1 spot to take the load off of JKIDD. And while JKIDD is here, have him tutor Roddy and polish him so Roddy can take the reigns of the Mavs point guard once Kidd leaves..... and sign a legit veteran SG.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #36
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
Jason Terry was given the opportunity to prove that he wasn't a point guard in the league, Roddy should be given the same opportunity.

I don't get the criticism that he plays more like a shooting guard. He spent 80% of his time this year at shooting guard. What was he supposed to play like?
The thing about point guard skills is that they don't normally pop out of nowhere. They didn't for JET as you mentioned, and I'm doubtful that it's going to happen with Roddy. From everything I've read from before he was a Mav and seen from him since then, Roddy's point guard skills have always been a question mark. I'm sure Roddy will get more of a chance to prove his worth as a point next year, but until I actually see it from him, I'm going to remain skeptical.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 05-03-2010, 02:03 PM   #37
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

For now he would play better at the SG. RC should have played him more during the regular season at both point and SG. Pops utilized two quick guards Hill and Parker and the Mavs could not match up. This will happen with other teams during the playoffs if not the regular season. Kidd needs a quick quard on the floor with him. And if the other team plays two quicks then he has to switch to SF. Terry is worthless unless he is hot. JB also has to be on or he is too much of a libility. By the end of next year Roddy needs to be able to play point to allow him to play with Terry or another quick defensive guard or we will continue to get killed by the opposition. Last years influx of rookies was packed with quick points. We need to get roddy to be able to match up with them. JK can only match with the larger PG like Williams, Billops, etc. Those types of players can be countered with SG's. But the league is being flooded wth quick points. remember the troughle we had with Parker and Paul. Well multipley that by all the teams that now have excellent quick points. If we played Paul and Collison we would get killed. Right now Roddy is the most complete quick player we have either at Point or SG. Kidd seems to become a libility during the playoffs because other teams can adjust to how the mavs use him because we have to play him with a quicker driving guard which leaves us vunerable defensively.
wilmtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:50 PM   #38
badfish22
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
As for me, I see Roddy more in the mold of JET, but with a higher ceiling. If you can pair him with a bigger point guard that distributes well and defend 2s, that would be ideal in my book and probably maximize his talents.
I know its a complete fantasy, but a Wade-Roddy combo would make this league its bitch.

BEAT LA
Old 05-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #39
CrazyBoy

CrazyBoy will become famous soon enough

wade+roddy ?

faster than the speed of light dude

would be no fun watching nba then... u cant see the players in TV
CrazyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #40
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
I know its a complete fantasy, but a Wade-Roddy combo would make this league its bitch.
That would certainly work

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson