Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-20-2014, 03:47 PM   #121
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Also, still cool with us getting Asik...
Asik is way more what we need-- he was the second best rebounder in the league and brings defense and toughness, but a little more complicated to get. He's totally worth a first rounder. Maybe a bit more, but I'd rather not give another pick to a team in our division.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 06-20-2014 at 03:48 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2014, 05:15 PM   #122
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayth.james.g View Post
In regards to Monroe, I am kinda in between Spreedom and EricaLubarsky. I feel like 7-8 mill a year is a low ball range to expect a player with Monroe's skill set AND ceiling.. I'm not quite optimistic enough about his long term potential to think hes worth going as deep as 15 mill, but I do think somewhere in the middle would be a nice number. Do I think it would be enough? Probably not, as I think someone is going to give him somewhere in the amount of 13-15 mill a year. I could probably live with a 4/44 contract if the Mavs handed it out. Is he worth that right now? Debatable, but I think that his potential as a 18+ ppg, 10 rbpg, 4-6 apg threat could be enough. The real question mark is how much room to grow does he have on the defense end?

EDIT: Also I probably shouldn't waste to much of my time even talking about Monroe. Something tells me hes probably not even on the Mavs radar. I think there is a much more likely case to be made for Chandler, Okafor, Sanders (kill me now), and perhaps even Hibbert. "Defensive anchor" is what any team with Dirk on it needs, and I just don't think the Mavs are going to move away from that until Dirk retires.
I think someone will give Monroe 12-13m per. He may be worth more to another team than the Mavs- not a great fit here.

Im all for Asik. Okafor and Sanders as well as long as they check physically and Sanders is deemed mentally fit by MBT. See Okafor being the more likely. Sanders, if they feel like rolling the dice, could be a game changer though. Defensively almost EXACTLY what this team needs.

Gortat would be a nice fit, especially offensively with Monta, but most likely re-signs with Washington.

Lukewarm on Gasol. I want no part of Chandler, Varajao and the like unless they are an absolute last resort. They would both be expiring contracts so would at least maintain some flexibility I suppose. After that you get down to the Ekpe Udoh's, Birdman, etc.

I see it as Okafor and then Sanders. Okafor fits the MBT M.O.-- a bargain signing of veteran with necessary skill set. Then Sanders second choice as the hyper talented reclamamtion project. Asik if we were dealing with any team but Houston would probably be priority one. Gortat never hits the market. Gasol, Chandler, Varajao or another injury riddled old guy as the fall back.

Last edited by mac222b; 06-20-2014 at 05:17 PM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:43 PM   #123
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Devin Harris had a three-year contract securely in hand last summer before his foot problem required surgery. Then it became a one-year deal for the veteran's minimum salary. On Friday at the Heroes Baseball Game practice session, Harris was asked if that original three-year, $9-million deal would be enough to keep him in Dallas as he prepares for free agency. "Three years, yes," Harris said. "Somewhere in that area. The years sound good. It would be a good starting point." Dallas Morning News - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.AQWSd1UV.dpuf
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:23 PM   #124
Floppy

Floppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
You give Dirk 12mill, Marion 7mill, you are sitting at around 54mill. That gives us about 9 mill in cap space, meaning that we may not even be able to sign Monroe to what he might get.

Now let's pretend we let Marion walk and give Dirk 10mill/year (like Duncan got). Then we have a trim roster and roughly 18 mill to work with. If we give Monroe the max, he gets 15.8mill and we have about 2.2mill to fill out the rest of the roster, including signing Harris. If harris gets 2.2m a year, then that is all of our cap space and we only have draftees and min guys.

Monroe/Dalembert
Dirk/Wright
Ellington
Ellis
Harris/Calderon
-----------
Ledo, Larkin, Mekel, 34th pick, 51st pick

That's a thin team right there, because we overpaid for Monroe.

That's why we can't pay that much for a guy who is just solid.
Where are you getting your numbers from ? If you give Dirk $10 Million that brings our salary up to $42,232,100 which includes both 2nd Rd Picks

So with these players

Calderon / Larkin / Mekel
Ellis / Ellington / Ledo
Crowder
Dirk
Dalemebert / Wright
#34 / #51

Leaves $20,967,900 In Cap space with a $63.2 Million Cap

If they don't use Ellington as part of a package with other players ( Wright / Mekel ) for another player then I think its a good chance Ellington is traded with $3 Million Cash for cap space .. Giving the Mavs $23.9 Million in Cap space . That leaves enough to sign Monroe Max $15.8 Million or less + Ariza $8 Million

I doubt Harris comes back for $2.2 Million . I think he wants more than $3 Million so Larkin may be the backup PG next year . If so then you still have the $2.7 Million Room exception for Carter

PG-Calderon / Larkin / Mekel
SG-Ellis / Carter / Ledo
SF-Ariza / Crowder / 34th Pick
PF-Dirk / Wright / 51st Pick
C-Monroe / Dalembert / Vet Min

I highly doubt the Mavs bring back Marion for $7 Million .. At least I sure as shit hope not .
Floppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:26 PM   #125
Floppy

Floppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Perhaps we have a different definition of journeyman. In my book a journeyman is someone solid who hasn't ever been great.

It's what he's been asking. He'll probably get 4-6mill/year for 2 years.
Not from the Mavs
Old 06-20-2014, 06:29 PM   #126
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Asik is way more what we need-- he was the second best rebounder in the league and brings defense and toughness, but a little more complicated to get. He's totally worth a first rounder. Maybe a bit more, but I'd rather not give another pick to a team in our division.
I think the Rockets are going to be in straight-up salary dumping mode when we get closer to free agency... I think a second-round pick might actually be enough to get him once Melo hits the market.

Now, if it absolutely takes a first-round pick, I'm totally cool with that. But I'd rather pick their pockets when they're scrambling to make cap space.

POLL: If you had the choice, would you rather trade a future second-rounder for Asik, or a future first-rounder for Asik/Lin?
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:33 PM   #127
Floppy

Quote:
Perhaps we have a different definition of journeyman. In my book a journeyman is someone solid who hasn't ever been great.

It's what he's been asking. He'll probably get 4-6mill/year for 2 years.

Monroe last 3 years in his second year until now when he has started every game

11/12 15.4 PPG 9.7 RPG 7th in Scoring 9th in Rebounding Among Centers
12/13 16.0 PPG 9.6 RPG 7th in Scoring 7th in Rebounding Among Centers
13/14 15.2 PPG 9.3 RPG 6th in Scoring 11th in Rebounding Among Centers
Old 06-20-2014, 06:47 PM   #128
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think the Rockets are going to be in straight-up salary dumping mode when we get closer to free agency... I think a second-round pick might actually be enough to get him once Melo hits the market.
The Rockets might get desperate enough to dump him for a second round pick, but I doubt they'll ever get desperate enough to dump him to a divisional rival... Sending Asik to Dallas instantly upgrades our team, thus hurting Houston's playoff chances.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:55 PM   #129
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Now, if it absolutely takes a first-round pick, I'm totally cool with that. But I'd rather pick their pockets when they're scrambling to make cap space.

POLL: If you had the choice, would you rather trade a future second-rounder for Asik, or a future first-rounder for Asik/Lin?
Some team will take Asik. I think it's gonna cost the Mavs more if they want Asik- we all pretty much agree on that. There will be teams that need a Center and will have the capspace. I do think the way Morey's perceived around the league could hurt them some but ultimately teams will do what benefits them most. Morley definitely won't have much leverage if teams know he's trying to dump Asik/Lin for Melo or Love.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #130
Dirk4Mavs

Dirk4Mavs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Greg Monroe, a big, is a great player who is underrated because he's on a bad team with stupid players. Good guy to build around.

I agree.
thanks for the help a man

It seems I need for tuition in English

I big fans of Mavs from ksa
Dirk4Mavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:18 PM   #131
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

The only real reason Dallas would have to add a second is probably the division rival factor. There's been plenty of salary dump deals where the team dumping GIVES a pick, as well. Look at what Golden State did last summer. Talent is clearly different here, but the team unloading will sweeten it with picks.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 06-20-2014 at 09:18 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:42 AM   #132
#41 Shoot em up
Banned

#41 Shoot em up is infamous around these parts#41 Shoot em up is infamous around these parts

Asik or Chandler either one will do. Add in Deng and you have me excited for next season.
#41 Shoot em up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:24 AM   #133
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

All these desperate trade offers for Love are quite entertaining to read. Watch Love just finish his contract out in Minnesota. While all these GM's throwing out trade offers look silly this summer.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:45 AM   #134
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyes View Post
All these desperate trade offers for Love are quite entertaining to read. Watch Love just finish his contract out in Minnesota. While all these GM's throwing out trade offers look silly this summer.
When a player of Love's caliber is seemingly available via trade, it would be irresponsible for any GM not to make an offer.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #135
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

We are coming up on the first bit of activity for Free Agency with the draft and Melo decision. Here is my updated list of players I would love to see the Mavs pursue in order.

Roy Hibbert- Could solve the issue of Calderon and give us perhaps the best defensive anchor center in the game. This is the first call that should be make. I feel like its a low chance, but again.. worth the call..

Chandler Parsons- Slightly worried about the cost (10-12 mill per year is the rumor). I love his offense, and I think that his defense is not as bad as people were saying on the first page of this thread. He could be an 18/5/5 26 year old with tons of upside and long term we are not worried about year 3 or 4 of his contract unlike Deng or even possibly Ariza (get to him in a second). He shoots the 3 ball well, and shoots a 46+ fg%. Adding him + a possible good value in Okafor (5mill a year?) would instantly better our roster over last year and long term we are still in a great place. Obviously, there might be better value for the 2014-15 season (Ariza), but I like Parsons for his entire contract and he could fit on any future team without Dirk well. This is a unique chance to get a 25 year old talent.

Omer Asik- I seriously doubt we could make a move for him. My thoughts are that there are other teams that can do more to to alleviate the Houston's cap issue while not giving over a good center to a division rival. Still.. He's worth putting here.

Emeka Okafor- I think he obviously carries some risk, but his cost will offset the risk. Chandler is on a one year deal, but we would need the Knicks to play ball and probably take Calderon off our hands in any trade or else we will have a hard time handling his contract. Okafor allows us to put as much money as we possibly want into upgrading our 3 spot.

Luol Deng - This is in the event that we go the more conservative route (opt not to wait for Parsons RFA). I was struggling between Ariza or Deng for a few weeks. I realize Ariza's stock has gone up, and Deng's somewhat down based on last years performances. I think that people are overestimating the "miles put on the tires" for Deng. I keep hearing that as a voice of concern, but I just look at the numbers last year pre and post trade and have to believe its more of a Cleveland Cavalier problem than Deng. Also, I look at the success of Jason Kidd, Shawn Marion, and Vince Carter recently with the Mavs all of whom produced greatly for us despite many concerns of "wear and tear".

Trevor Ariza
- If Parsons and Deng are not our focal point, then I think pursuing Ariza would be in our best interest. I question the "contract year" stats which has me on the fence. I love his defense, but aside from this year his 3pt% has never been elite. Half of me wants to believe that his play can carry over to a new organization, situation, and fat contract, but for me I would prefer the upside of Parsons long term or the consistency of a Deng.

PJ Tucker - I like his game... nice fallback option if things go badly pursuing Parsons, Deng, and Ariza. I think he will easily be worth his contract for the next 3-4 years. He's a 3 and D guy probably not going to have as strong of an impact as maybe Deng or Ariza, but I like him more for years 3 and 4 of his contract... and he still would make us a better team in 14-15.

Tyson Chandler - Only like this deal if it gets Calderon off our books. He would make us better for next season... and give us flexibility in the 14-15 summer. Any deal that we possibly get Chandler in that doesn't involve Calderon is a bad one imo.

Larry Sanders- Ugh.. I really don't like this guy. But.... yeah I just don't like him.

Those are my personal targets for the 2014-15 free agency. Obviously when you factor in some unique/creative trades that we could possibly make there are a few more guys I would love to have, but to me this list gives us a 54+ win team next year and in some cases a future building block for the next 5+ years.

EDIT- I didn't include Monroe because honestly I don't see it happening. He's going to be overpaid and short term he just doesn't fit any team with Dirk and Monte on it (defense still matters right?).

Last edited by hayth.james.g; 06-21-2014 at 11:07 AM.
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:44 AM   #136
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
The only real reason Dallas would have to add a second is probably the division rival factor. There's been plenty of salary dump deals where the team dumping GIVES a pick, as well. Look at what Golden State did last summer. Talent is clearly different here, but the team unloading will sweeten it with picks.
Yes and the Jazz had tanking plans anyway but had to take on salary to reach the minimum required cap. So they added trash (Jefferson&Biedrins) who didnt disrupt the tanking, spent the salary they had to give out anyway and got picks.

Too bad it costed us Iggy (but Iggy means no Ellis)...

Last edited by sefant77; 06-21-2014 at 11:44 AM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:56 AM   #137
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Woj reporting the Bulls are interested in adding Afflalo and that he is "very available".

Hmm would love to add him but guess the Bulls #16 and #19 is much more appealing than our stuff...

And looks like Sanders is off the table, dont see us taking on this gamble:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...ab-this-summer

Last edited by sefant77; 06-21-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:47 PM   #138
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

They're still very intent on going after Chandler. Interest sounds rather low in regards to Ariza.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #139
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

Quote:
They're still very intent on going after Chandler. Interest sounds rather low in regards to Ariza.
Did I miss some news?
Old 06-21-2014, 11:09 PM   #140
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Did I miss some news?
I talked to people today.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:25 AM   #141
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Did I miss some news?
You're new(-ish) to the board, but BGMaverick9 = Bryan Gutierrez.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-22-2014 at 01:42 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:27 AM   #142
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Wait.. the Mavs have interest in going after Chandler Parsons? Or trading for Tyson to comeback?
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #143
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
You're new(-ish) to the board, but BGMaverick9 = Bryan Gutierrez.

Ah gotcha! I literally searched for 15 minutes looking for some sort of interview I thought I missed. Lol.

I am curious on what it would realistically take to get chandler... Is it reasonable to assume Calderon would be in the deal or is it still very unlikely he is moved this off-season?

I am somewhat relieved to hear the interest was low on Ariza. At first I really liked the sound of us pursuing him, but since then I have become more skeptical.

Last edited by hayth.james.g; 06-22-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #144
Popeye

Popeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to behold

Can we all agree a dream scenario would be getting Chandler for Calderon+Filler, and signing Deng and Lowry? That would be a starting five of Lowry, Ellis, Deng, Dirk and Chandler, and the bench should be pretty good assuming Devin Harris is re-signed. I'd give the off-season an A+ if these things happened.
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:07 AM   #145
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyes View Post
Wait.. the Mavs have interest in going after Chandler Parsons? Or trading for Tyson to comeback?
Tyson
Old 06-22-2014, 10:09 AM   #146
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
Can we all agree a dream scenario would be getting Chandler for Calderon+Filler, and signing Deng and Lowry? That would be a starting five of Lowry, Ellis, Deng, Dirk and Chandler, and the bench should be pretty good assuming Devin Harris is re-signed. I'd give the off-season an A+ if these things happened.
Quote:
Ah gotcha! I literally searched for 15 minutes looking for some sort of interview I thought I missed. Lol.

I am curious on what it would realistically take to get chandler... Is it reasonable to assume Calderon would be in the deal or is it still very unlikely he is moved this off-season?

I am somewhat relieved to hear the interest was low on Ariza. At first I really liked the sound of us pursuing him, but since then I have become more skeptical.
If the consensus is that Calderon's contract is a golden parachute, why would the Knicks (who are basically dumping and rebuilding by trading Tyson) say, "yeah, we want that Calderon deal" ?
Old 06-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #147
Popeye

Popeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
If the consensus is that Calderon's contract is a golden parachute, why would the Knicks (who are basically dumping and rebuilding by trading Tyson) say, "yeah, we want that Calderon deal" ?
The Knicks are desperate for a stable PG, he'd be a good fit in the Triangle, and they could tell Carmello he'd space the floor for him. If the Mavs added Wright to the deal I think it's a good trade for both teams.

I've always thought getting Chandler back would require Wright & Calderon, but you probably have a better idea of what it would take. Any hints at what the Mavs would have to give up?
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:39 AM   #148
sefant77
Guru

The Knicks have a 2015 FA plan, where thy want to go go after the big names. They wont add ANY salary beyond 2015 in any Chandler dump.

So no Calderon to the Knicks. It would need pretty much all our expiring deals next season: Wright+Ellington+Dalembert. This one works with the $$$
Old 06-22-2014, 10:49 AM   #149
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
The Knicks have a 2015 FA plan, where thy want to go go after the big names. They wont add ANY salary beyond 2015 in any Chandler dump.

So no Calderon to the Knicks. It would need pretty much all our expiring deals next season: Wright+Ellington+Dalembert. This one works with the $$$
If this is the case then adding Chandler would really impact our ability to address the rest of the roster. Also is it realistic to expect them to take both Dalembert+Wright? I was under the impression it would also take at least one draft pick to get the deal done.... This sound accurate?
Old 06-22-2014, 10:51 AM   #150
spreedom
Diamond Member

Let's not forget that Calderon is, offensively, a great fit for the Knicks and the triangle. Not sure if that would justify taking on his long-term salary from their perspective, but if they're looking for stability and fit at PG it would be hard to find a more natural fit than Calderon.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #151
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Let's not forget that Calderon is, offensively, a great fit for the Knicks and the triangle. Not sure if that would justify taking on his long-term salary from their perspective, but if they're looking for stability and fit at PG it would be hard to find a more natural fit than Calderon.
That's probably not what they're looking for if Melo leaves and Chandler still has a year left on the books.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #152
Underdog

We're under the cap, so we can trade a bag of chips for Chandler and the Knicks would be delighted. From their perspective, the less salary they take back, the better the deal.

Of course, from our perspective, we don't want to spend all of our cap on Chandler when we still need a SF... If we sent out something like Wright/Ellington's expirings bundled with picks as sweetener, then we could land Ty and still have enough money left to take a stab at Deng.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-22-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #153
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

From my perspective going for someone like Okafor would cost a lot less, allow us to possibly package Wright+ Calderon elsewhere and leave a large amount of salary cap space available for a Parsons, Deng, or even Stephenson. I don't really get the upside of trading all of our pieces + a good amount of cap space for Chandler if it doesn't unload Calderons contract.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:00 PM   #154
Underdog

Quote:
From my perspective going for someone like Okafor would cost a lot less, allow us to possibly package Wright+ Calderon elsewhere and leave a large amount of salary cap space available for a Parsons, Deng, or even Stephenson. I don't really get the upside of trading all of our pieces + a good amount of cap space for Chandler if it doesn't unload Calderons contract.
The most obvious reason I can think of is because Chandler is an expiring contract, which would keep us in play for next summer's FA crop (Love, Aldridge, Rondo, Marc Gasol, etc...)

Also, Calderon might be harder to replace than you think. If we missed out on Lowry, then chances are we're going to take a step backwards at the position. Especially since there's no guarantee that Devin Harris will be back next year. And even if he is, the guy has always been an injury risk.

As for Okafor - we have no idea if he's even healthy at this point... For all we know, he may never suit up again - I'm sure the MBT has a better idea than we do.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-22-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:04 PM   #155
mac222b
Diamond Member

The Knicks will want something of value in return for Chandler. Otherwise he's an expiring contract and what does Phil Jackson care about Dolan's $? They aren't giving chandler to us for nothing. Why would they simply take back other expiring guys or players owed money after next season.

Also, timing of a Calderon trade, to any team, is tricky. Would require a commitment from another top PG(say Lowrey)and then keeping that info super quiet so as not to diminish Calderon's trade value. Unless they plan to roll with Devin,Larkin, Mekel. Don't see it.

If Melo leaves the Knicks have the leverage regarding Chandler. It will probably take a protected 1st round pick being included and possibly one usable youngish player ala Brandon Wright. In return they swallow Ellington. Just my opinion.

Last edited by mac222b; 06-22-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #156
mac222b
Diamond Member

Could easily go a step further and infer that any "interest in Chandler" talk on the Mavs end is also code to Melo. Making a move for a player to upgrade our roster whom he presumably respects and has good rapport with. It's one of the few non-tampering ways available to express interest. Dirk comments being the obvious other.

Last edited by mac222b; 06-22-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:54 PM   #157
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
The Knicks will want something of value in return for Chandler. Otherwise he's an expiring contract and what does Phil Jackson care about Dolan's $? They aren't giving chandler to us for nothing. Why would they simply take back other expiring guys or players owed money after next season.
Well lets say its Wright/Dalembert/Ellington/Larkin:

- the Knicks get some young talent, they could keep them longterm
- they split Chandlers huge expiring contract into several small ones what makes following trades much easier

So it still depends on Carmelo leaving. If he goes they dump Chandler. But Chandlers trade value isnt really high as 32y old with heavy expiring contract. I doubt a team throws a 1st in such a trade. With the new CBA picks got MUCH more valuable...
Old 06-22-2014, 12:58 PM   #158
spreedom
Diamond Member

I have a hard time seeing the Knicks trading Chandler's expiring contract for three expiring contracts... especially when he's a lot better than all three of those players. It's going to be really tough for the Knicks to get under the salary cap this season, so the extremely minor savings on this year's salary is going to be meaningless.

Now, if we threw in our early-second rounder this year and maybe a conditional future first, then they might have interest.

Last edited by spreedom; 06-22-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:58 PM   #159
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
The most obvious reason I can think of is because Chandler is an expiring contract, which would keep us in play for next summer's FA crop (Love, Aldridge, Rondo, Marc Gasol, etc...)
Interesting thought, but throw in Ellis and Calderons salary raise, used room exception (Carter?!) and Tysons expired salary wont translate in more than 10 mio cap space in 2015. Not enough for the big names so we would have to shred again some longterm salary, with pretty much means Calderon).
Old 06-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #160
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Anthony has opted out, or informed the Knicks to do so. Which could help the Mavs get Chandler...?
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
double post double post