Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 12-04-2006, 02:03 PM   #41
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
what a dodge. You compare Jesus Christ's crown of thorns with a headband...as a joke and then try to sidestep with a strawman. This is not a philosophy of language class, it is a simple act of mocking Jesus, by you, for the sake of humor. don't get preachy when your initial intent was simple mockery.
We've had this discussion before. Too many people in this forum toss the G-word like that when other members have more or less expressed how they find it offensive. But it doesn't seem to make an impression. So from now on, whenver I see people doing that, I"m just going to think, "Yeah, gay as Jesus."

Not a dodge at all.

But it damned sure SHOULD make you uncomfortable.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2006, 02:03 PM   #42
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

The comodians are out and about today.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 02:13 PM   #43
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavKikiNYC
We've had this discussion before. Too many people in this forum toss the G-word like that when other members have more or less expressed how they find it offensive. But it doesn't seem to make an impression. So from now on, whenver I see people doing that, I"m just going to think, "Yeah, gay as Jesus."

Not a dodge at all.

But it damned sure SHOULD make you uncomfortable.
it IS a dodge and remains one, unless you tell me your initial intent was to make this point. I have the strong inclination that you have adjusted your original intent from “I’m going to make a Jesus joke(haha arn't I funny)” to “I’m going to make a point”. I suppose you could lie either way and I’d have no way to prove you wrong. So if you tell me or original intention, in your first post in this thread, in making the headband Jesus joke was to primarily start a conversation about how other people’s usage of the term “gay” offends you…then I guess I’ll have no choice but to believe you.

So Kiki, that is my question to you, as someone who values honesty, was your original intent to make a joke, or to make a point?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 02:23 PM   #44
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
it IS a dodge and remains one, unless you tell me your initial intent was to make this point. I have the strong inclination that you have adjusted your original intent from “I’m going to make a Jesus joke(haha arn't I funny)” to “I’m going to make a point”. I suppose you could lie either way and I’d have no way to prove you wrong. So if you tell me or original intention, in your first post in this thread, in making the headband Jesus joke was to primarily start a conversation about how other people’s usage of the term “gay” offends you…then I guess I’ll have no choice but to believe you.

So Kiki, that is my question to you, as someone who values honesty, was your original intent to make a joke, or to make a point?
It absolutely was.

You know it would be impossible (and annoying) if someone complained about every negative use of that word. But the context here did seem appropriate for making the point.

And you also know that such frequent complaining would only encourage other posters to do that and worse. So 99.9% of the time, one just has to read past the offensive comment and move on.

Or as FreshJive might say, "If you cain't fix it, you just gotta stand it."
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 02:41 PM   #45
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

then I choose to believe you.

though it certainly does not hurt me, your choice in humor seems a best ill balanced and at worst blasphemous. And to be honest, a little beneath a person of high morals.

to say, "I'm going to be offensive becausee someone else has offended me" is not the way to make a point. So continue to compare people's unintentially hurtful usage of a word with openly mocking THE/my Savior if you believe it the right thing to do...but actually, I would ask you to stop.

I for one have not had this discussion with you before, and had no idea you were so highly offended by it. As a Christian I will take the issue you've raised more seriously on this forum...but not because you've decided to mock my Lord in retribution, but because I want to strive to offend no man as much as possible...as I belive Jesus would.

just so you know, you've could have just asked me.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 12-04-2006 at 02:56 PM.
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 03:18 PM   #46
WurzburgBorn

WurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to all

Edit: Deleted

Last edited by WurzburgBorn; 12-04-2006 at 04:19 PM.
WurzburgBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:49 PM   #47
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by WurzburgBorn
Edit: Deleted
haha.. nice
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:55 PM   #48
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with headbands is similar to the trouble with tribbles
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote