Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 02-23-2005, 11:37 PM   #1
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all
Default ESPNEWS reports CWEBB headed to Philly

just heard it, no details yet.

but I imagine its Dalembert, Korver and more.
interesting
Old 02-23-2005, 11:45 PM   #2
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of
Default RE: ESPNEWS reports CWEBB headed to Philly

this is a raping
kings got kenny thomas, corliss, and korver
76ers get webber, matt barnes, and michael bradley (i think)
Old 02-23-2005, 11:47 PM   #3
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:ESPNEWS reports CWEBB headed to Philly

ESPN.com

Chris Webber, Matt Barnes, and Michael Bradley for Kenny Thomas, Corliss Williamson and Brian Skinner.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:47 PM   #4
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

make that brian skinner instead of korver...

talk about a cost-cutting move in exchange for a star player...76ers are going to make a late push if you ask me
Old 02-23-2005, 11:47 PM   #5
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. LOL. Shows how desperate the Kings were to get rid of Webber.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:49 PM   #6
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the Kings' forums. They are buggin' out right now.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:50 PM   #7
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

just a silly trade..

can't believe the kings are pulling the trigger

they get a bunch of super spares for a triple double threat
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:51 PM   #8
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. Kings got raped on this one. Now that's desperation. They gave up arguably their best player for 3 scrubs. They didn't even get Korver! Not even Dalembert!
Old 02-23-2005, 11:52 PM   #9
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure there have been worse trades than this one but nothing comes immediately to mind.

...well, I can go back to being a Chris Webber fan...good for Chris and AI
Old 02-23-2005, 11:53 PM   #10
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Good for Dallas. The Kings won't have Webber tomorrow, and possibly Peja.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:55 PM   #11
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

...so the Kings are coming to Dallas without Webber and Peja...gotta like that
Old 02-23-2005, 11:56 PM   #12
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
I'm sure there have been worse trades than this one but nothing comes immediately to mind.
Dirk/Garrity for Traylor. I'll never get over that.

The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Old 02-23-2005, 11:56 PM   #13
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I'm baffled. Poor Kings fans.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:58 PM   #14
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

They saved money, but not all that much. Maybe less than $10mm over the course of the respective contracts.

This was about Peja winning the feud.

Also, this cements the 4 spot for Dallas.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:58 PM   #15
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm baffled. Poor Kings fans.
I have it on the Kings radio station here and the fans are furious. You should hear some of these callers. LOL.

Let the campaign of keeping Peja begin. He's been unhappy and the Kings pretty much just cleared the way to resign him.

Still, looks like the Kings are mailing this season in almost.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:59 PM   #16
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: ocelot_ark
talk about a cost-cutting move in exchange for a star player
Not even a cost-cutting move.

[quote]
Updated: Feb. 23, 2005
By Chad Ford
ESPN Insider

The Sacramento Kings and Philadelphia 76ers have completed a deal that will send Chris Webber, Matt Barnes and Michael Bradley to the Sixers for Kenny Thomas, Corliss Williamson and Brian Skinner, two league sources told ESPN Insider Chad Ford.

The Kings have called a news conference for midnight ET to announce the trade.

The fact that Webber was on the block should come as no surprise to Kings fans. General manager Geoff Petrie had been shopping Webber for some time. The Kings have been concerned about team chemistry and how the offense often stagnates with Webber in the game.

The Knicks were trying to acquire Webber for weeks and looked like the only team with an owner willing to swallow the last three years and $62 million of his deal.

What is surprising, however, is what the Kings will get from the 76ers in return. None of the three players the Kings receive are as talented as Webber. Each has been struggling this year and all three have long-term contracts equal to the three years, $62 million left on Webber's deal. In other words, this isn't a salary dump by the Kings.

Thomas has five years and $39 million left on his deal, plus a 15 percent trade kicker that will raise his salary higher. Williams has two years and $12.5 million left on his deal. Skinner has one year and $4.9 million left on his contract plus another year at $5.4 million that is 75 percent guaranteed.

While the Kings lose some star power, they do acquire some depth ā€¦ something that has been sorely needed in Sacramento the past two seasons. Once the trade does become official, look for it to seriously end discussions of a Peja Stojakovic trade. Stojakovic wanted out, in part, because of a poor relationship with Webber both on and off the court. With Webber gone, his trade demands will likely end.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:01 AM   #17
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Best thing is... they face Philly this Saturday. [img]i/expressions/anim_laugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2005, 12:01 AM   #18
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Dirk/Garrity for Traylor. I'll never get over that.
True, that was much worse, but draft day trades are always a gamble....here both GM's know what they're getting

Old 02-24-2005, 12:01 AM   #19
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

This is similar to that Marbury for trash trade by the Suns. Looked like absolute crap... but turned into a genius move.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:01 AM   #20
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

kings first round shouldn't be too bad
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:05 AM   #21
Nash13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran

Also, this cements the 4 spot for Dallas.

I was just watching the end of the Rockets/Spurs game thinking to myself, i'm mad Houston lost because i want to play them in the 1st round.

Not anymore.

~The Salesman
Old 02-24-2005, 12:10 AM   #22
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Glad to see the 6ers finally have a legit chance to make a run in the playoffs. AI and Webber? On the same team? This is what AI has been waiting for.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:14 AM   #23
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Good news for Philly...

Terrible trade for Kings. Wow

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:18 AM   #24
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Glad to see the 6ers finally have a legit chance to make a run in the playoffs. AI and Webber? On the same team? This is what AI has been waiting for.
I thought making it to the Finals a few years ago was a legit run.

Re: the numbers on this deal, I believe that Chad Ford has his facts wrong. I don't see anything on RealGM or Hoopshype to suggest that there's a trade kicker in Thomas' contract. The Kings are saving under $8mm when I look at the exact numbers, but there is at least some savings there.

Old 02-24-2005, 12:24 AM   #25
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

One other note about this trade: I don't think Michael Bradley can be traded in this deal, as the Kings acquired him on 1-10-05, less than 60 days ago. The salaries don't work to make this into two smaller trades, so I'm not sure what gives there unless there's an exception that I'm not seeing.

Old 02-24-2005, 12:24 AM   #26
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, after those 12 pizzas, 2 dozen rose bouquets', and the whole thing about the animals from the Sacramento zoo, I wouldn't be surprised if Webber had in fact demanded this trade.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:25 AM   #27
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Kings may not make it to the playoffs. Wow. Christie first and now Cwebb. Peja has become the new Kobe...pushing people out the door.

This can only be good news for the Mavs...it will let a weaker team climb a spot (or let Sac barely cling to one) into the playoffs and "water down" the western conference playoffs.

wow.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:26 AM   #28
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Quote:
I thought making it to the Finals a few years ago was a legit run.

Re: the numbers on this deal, I believe that Chad Ford has his facts wrong. I don't see anything on RealGM or Hoopshype to suggest that there's a trade kicker in Thomas' contract. The Kings are saving under $8mm when I look at the exact numbers, but there is at least some savings there.
They ran into the Finals that year. The talent in the East that year was at it's worst. This year they have a legit chance to make a run without having to lean on luck. They didn't have this before the trade. Not sure what the Kings are thinking. They are trading away their team as if they don't even want to make a run in the playoffs.

1996-2005
Old 02-24-2005, 12:29 AM   #29
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

LOL wait a minute. The Kings didn't even get Dalemebert? What exactly did they recieve? Why not just do a Big Dog for Webber move if you want to get rid of Webber's contract?

1996-2005
Old 02-24-2005, 12:31 AM   #30
Nash13
Diamond Member

Trailblazers part 2?

This is too funny.

~The Salesman
Old 02-24-2005, 12:32 AM   #31
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
They ran into the Finals that year. The talent in the East that year was at it's worst. This year they have a legit chance to make a run without having to lean on luck.
Unless Shaq's knee is really going to keep him out for the season, and unless something really goes wrong in Detroit, I still don't think they have a legit chance.

Old 02-24-2005, 12:32 AM   #32
seal614

seal614 is on a distinguished road

I love this trade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CWebb and AI, I am so excited to see these 2 play.

the possibilities range from ECF to Lottery; honestly.
seal614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:34 AM   #33
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: XERXES
Kings may not make it to the playoffs. Wow. Christie first and now Cwebb. Peja has become the new Kobe...pushing people out the door.

This can only be good news for the Mavs...it will let a weaker team climb a spot (or let Sac barely cling to one) into the playoffs and "water down" the western conference playoffs.

wow.
You think this is Peja's doing? That's got to be only explanation. Someone demanded this deal to go down.

1996-2005
Old 02-24-2005, 12:35 AM   #34
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

the 6ers just got interesting

the Kings just got......uh......less.....interesting

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:37 AM   #35
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I guess its because Peja is better without Webber? That's all I can think of. I might watch all the 76ers games now!
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:37 AM   #36
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
I was just watching the end of the Rockets/Spurs game thinking to myself, i'm mad Houston lost because i want to play them in the 1st round.

Not anymore.
After this trade, I think Sacramento will definitely drop out of the No. 5 spot. The only question at this point is who steps up and takes it.

Old 02-24-2005, 12:37 AM   #37
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
They ran into the Finals that year. The talent in the East that year was at it's worst. This year they have a legit chance to make a run without having to lean on luck.
Unless Shaq's knee is really going to keep him out for the season, and unless something really goes wrong in Detroit, I still don't think they have a legit chance.
You have to replace the 6ers with the Pacers as the top 3 team in the East now. I think the favorites should be the Pistons and the Heat but the 6ers have just as much of a chance to make it to the Finals as do the Magic, Wiz and Cavaliers. There isn't a dominant team in the East right now like the Spurs.

1996-2005
Old 02-24-2005, 12:38 AM   #38
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

man, talent-wise, the sixers got away with murder... matt barnes is actually a good role player. money-wise? it doesn't look that great for sac either.

korver and dalembert (not to mention AI) are salivating about a big man that can pass out of double-teams. Man, this trade came out of nowhere.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:44 AM   #39
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
man, talent-wise, the sixers got away with murder... matt barnes is actually a good role player. money-wise? it doesn't look that great for sac either.

korver and dalembert (not to mention AI) are salivating about a big man that can pass out of double-teams. Man, this trade came out of nowhere.

Although I don't think it wins them the East or anything, I have to admit that this makes the Sixers a lot more interesting.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:45 AM   #40
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: DubOverdose
I guess its because Peja is better without Webber? That's all I can think of. I might watch all the 76ers games now!
Yea and watch TNT or ESPN won't show anymore 6ers games until the playoffs lol.

1996-2005