Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 02-24-2005, 12:46 AM   #41
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: ESPNEWS reports CWEBB headed to Philly

Ya know, the Kings weren’t going to win the title this year anyway…they’d have been lucky to make it to the 2nd round.

They still have borderline All-Stars at the 1,3 and 5 and they traditionally play well without Webber. They should be competitive and if Petrie can make some moves this summer, they could still be an interesting team. Probably not a title contender, but they haven’t been a title contender in two or three years in most people’s eyes anway…plus, Webbers not getting any younger or healthier. Those three smaller contracts should be easier to move than Webbers. The 6ers may not have even done this deal were it not for AI’s ultimatum.

No need for Kings fans to slit their wrists
Old 02-24-2005, 12:46 AM   #42
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

IS Shaq done for the season? The Ticket boys were saying as much earlier today....

76ers just made the top two in the East....AI and CWebb will work well together

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:47 AM   #43
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:ESPNEWS reports CWEBB headed to Philly

So does this mean I will never get to see that Webber and Dirk commercial now?

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:52 AM   #44
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
I might watch all the 76ers games now!

This is so weird. Just two days ago, i was planning a trip to Philly for the Mavs game the day after my 20th birthday.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:53 AM   #45
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

that is odd

is Shaq out or not?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 02-24-2005, 12:55 AM   #46
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

My playstation is broken. It won't accept this trade!!

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:57 AM   #47
sike
The Preacha

your PS2 is smarter than the Kings front office.....nice [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-24-2005, 12:59 AM   #48
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
that is odd

is Shaq out or not?
That's what I want to know. I also want to know is Boozer a Laker. I could've sworn a day ago it was reported he was heading to the Lakers for Butler, George and Divacs.

1996-2005
Old 02-24-2005, 01:03 AM   #49
sike
The Preacha

the deadline is a confusing time of year...

Old 02-24-2005, 01:05 AM   #50
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ya know, the Kings weren’t going to win the title this year anyway…they’d have been lucky to make it to the 2nd round.

They still have borderline All-Stars at the 1,3 and 5 and they traditionally play well without Webber. They should be competitive and if Petrie can make some moves this summer, they could still be an interesting team.
This is a decent point, but they don't have any good defenders in their starting lineup since they traded Christie, and Webber at least gave them a threat in the post. Maybe this livens up their offense and Peja will start earning his money.

As for making some moves this summer, I don't know how much you get in return for the likes of K. Thomas, Skinner, and Williamson.

Old 02-24-2005, 01:08 AM   #51
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Quote:
[i]

You think this is Peja's doing? That's got to be only explanation. Someone demanded this deal to go down.
Bad bad chemistry is the only reason the Kings would do this deal. Bibby, Peja, and Cwebb were their Big 3- someone wanted someone gone...

the rumors about peja disliking cwebb have been around for a while - it doesn't take sherlock holmes to see why this deal happened. Peja is healthier (current hamstring injury aside) and less of a headache than cwebb- so the brothers Malouf went with the safe bet...
Old 02-24-2005, 01:11 AM   #52
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Anyone else think the Kings aren't done dealing? Maybe they have a power foward they are trying to acquire which is why they traded Webber. Possibly Zach Randolph?

1996-2005
Old 02-24-2005, 01:15 AM   #53
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
that is odd

is Shaq out or not?
Sike, the Shaq story from earlier was a hoax. Some guy put up a fake website with Miami Herald graphics and reported the fake story. Somehow both ESPN and Fox Sports picked the story up without verifying it.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:15 AM   #54
sike
The Preacha

who do they give up for Randolph?

Old 02-24-2005, 01:16 AM   #55
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
and Webber at least gave them a threat in the post.
Yea, but he never goes down there anymore.

Quote:
Maybe this livens up their offense and Peja will start earning his money.
That's what I'm thinking...this is a chemistry move. Either Webber or Peja had to go and although Peja is cotteny soft, he's younger, healthier and cheaper than Webber.

Quote:
As for making some moves this summer, I don't know how much you get in return for the likes of K. Thomas, Skinner, and Williamson.
You're not going to get a superstar, but K. Thomas and B. Skinner are decent big men and there's always a market for those.

They'll have to build around Bibby, Peja, Bobby and Miller. Non of them are superstars, but Webbers not getting any better.

That team as constituted wasn't going anywhere...may as well shake it up and see what you come up with

Although it's shocking since Webb was the face of the Kings, I can see Petries point of view.

(and the Sikey for biggest 180 in a single thread goes to........)
Old 02-24-2005, 01:19 AM   #56
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

this trade is ridiculous. What the hell are the Kings doing?
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:19 AM   #57
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but if you ask me the Kings were lucky to be able to move him. Webber can still fill up a stat sheet, but I'm not remotely convinced that he's anywhere near as effective overall as those stats would seem to indicate. Sac didn't get much for him, but at the very least this move vaults Bibby, Peja, and Miller up the pecking order one spot, and that is something that could only be good for the Kings.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:22 AM   #58
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but if you ask me the Kings were lucky to be able to move him. Webber can still fill up a stat sheet, but I'm not remotely convinced that he's anywhere near as effective overall as those stats would seem to indicate. Sac didn't get much for him, but at the very least this move vaults Bibby, Peja, and Miller up the pecking order one spot, and that is something that could only be good for the Kings.
You and Dirno *might* be right. The only thing I can see is that they weren't going all the way, either way.

As for moving Webber, yeah, it was extremely difficult because of his tenuous health and his monster contract, but you still would think they could have at least pried ONE of the young guys from the Sixers.

Old 02-24-2005, 01:23 AM   #59
sike
The Preacha

Dirk go crazy down low...

Old 02-24-2005, 01:25 AM   #60
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

As bad as this is I can think of a trade worse than this and as bad as Nowitzki/Garrity/Traylor. The Charlotte Hornets trading draft rights to Kobe Bryant for Vlade Divac.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:29 AM   #61
sike
The Preacha

are we still on that?

$5 says he starts a "Worst trade ever" thread [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-24-2005, 01:34 AM   #62
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As for moving Webber, yeah, it was extremely difficult because of his tenuous health and his monster contract, but you still would think they could have at least pried ONE of the young guys from the Sixers.
I understand where you're coming from. I mean, this is Chris Webber we're talking about. He's one of the most talented guys to put on a uniform in the past decade. But when I look at his contract, look at his injury history, look at his age, look at the way he hobbles around the floor, can't jump, and can't defend, I honestly can't imagine giving up anything of value (read: youth/potential) to get him.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:38 AM   #63
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

He may be older and injury prone, but c'mon! I think they could've at least gotten Samuel Dalembert.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:40 AM   #64
sike
The Preacha

even with all of the many drawbacks to CWebb, one would still think that the Kings could have gotten a better than average producer in the deal...

Old 02-24-2005, 01:45 AM   #65
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I think all three teams got what they wanted. Philly is more competitve and didnt give up Sammy, Sacramento wanted to get rid of Webber more than winning, and Dallas, well we know what we got. It starts with an "at least 4" and it ends with "seed"
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:48 AM   #66
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

It would be funny if Peja opts not to resign with the team.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:50 AM   #67
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

LOL. If you go to the Kings' website there's a poll "What is your reaction to the Kings' trade for Williamson, Skinner, and Thomas?"
results: 9% Love it, 10% like it but will miss C-Webb, 11% not sure, 70% Hate it.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:51 AM   #68
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

well they certainly don't know what was happening behind the scenes, but from a talent point of view it was obvious.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:53 AM   #69
sike
The Preacha

I'll miss the fake tears from Webber...

Old 02-24-2005, 01:58 AM   #70
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Old 02-24-2005, 02:05 AM   #71
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Yes, I will miss the classic Webber moments. I remember one game in the 02-03 season at Arco Arena, the mavs were down 3 with only a couple of seconds left, and Nash hit a three and sent the game to overtime and the mavs beat them. Webber teared up a bit and inspired my friend and I to coin the phrase "Don't be a Webber."
Old 02-24-2005, 02:08 AM   #72
sike
The Preacha

that is a horrible slogan!

your friend should be slapped!

Old 02-24-2005, 02:45 AM   #73
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

I like the Sixers and hate the Kings. Love this trade, CWebb+AI...WOW!
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 02:48 AM   #74
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
So does this mean I will never get to see that Webber and Dirk commercial now?
NBA.com frontpage still shows the matchup [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Also check that Kings Poll
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:01 AM   #75
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran

Re: the numbers on this deal, I believe that Chad Ford has his facts wrong. I don't see anything on RealGM or Hoopshype to suggest that there's a trade kicker in Thomas' contract. The Kings are saving under $8mm when I look at the exact numbers, but there is at least some savings there.
Hoopshype never has trade kicker info, and realgm is usually good but not infallible. Chad Ford has gotten better in the last 6 months with his facts, and I doubt he would toss in "trade kicker was in the deal" unless he had gotten the info somewhere.

Re Bradley, I would wager he was acquired using the Minmum Player exception rather than an Assigned Player exception. If he is being paid the minimum (and I suspect he is), his contract doesnt have to be aggregated. Same with Barnes. I bet the deal was essentially Webber for 3 players in a 3-for-1, plus the 2 minimums were 0-for-1s.

Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 04:17 AM   #76
Josh

Josh is on a distinguished road

LOL this trade is so awful it won't even go through on NBA 2k5.
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 08:42 AM   #77
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

a trade of Bradley for LeBron proportions...
Old 02-24-2005, 11:07 AM   #78
DwD

DwD is a jewel in the roughDwD is a jewel in the roughDwD is a jewel in the roughDwD is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Well, after those 12 pizzas, 2 dozen rose bouquets', and the whole thing about the animals from the Sacramento zoo, I wouldn't be surprised if Webber had in fact demanded this trade.
Bernardos, do you mean to say this is all Dirk's fault? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2005, 11:22 AM   #79
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Hoopshype never has trade kicker info, and realgm is usually good but not infallible. Chad Ford has gotten better in the last 6 months with his facts, and I doubt he would toss in "trade kicker was in the deal" unless he had gotten the info somewhere.
I'm not really busting his balls or anything, I just think he's wrong. Then again, I'm not certain either, which is why I said "I believe...".

If I see some other source confirming it, I'll feel more confident that he's right. Also, if Thomas' salary numbers go up on reputable sites after the trade, I'll know he was right.

Quote:
Re Bradley, I would wager he was acquired using the Minmum Player exception rather than an Assigned Player exception. If he is being paid the minimum (and I suspect he is), his contract doesnt have to be aggregated. Same with Barnes. I bet the deal was essentially Webber for 3 players in a 3-for-1, plus the 2 minimums were 0-for-1s.
I thought about that (the exception to the exception, so to speak), but that would mean that some second rounders were included to make the thing work.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:39 AM   #80
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i understand what everyone is saying about the kings being better without webber. i actually agree. i really dislike webber. they showed they played better without him, and miller and peja definitely play like studs without him there. my beef with the kings is this... if you are going to get less talent, AT LEAST get expiring contracts. isn't robinson's an expiring contract? why didn't they try to get big dog, if they admit to the fact they aren't going anywhere this year?

you know, corliss and thomas could be a nice pairing with miller, since they are more physical SF/PF.

Greg Anthony made a good point last night. Even if the Kings save some money with the trade (i think he said it ends up being about $3 Mil), if they are no longer competitive, they lose money in the long run from loss of ticket sales... personally, though, If i were a kings fan, i'd be elated that webber is gone, but bummed about the trade itself.

as for webber, even though i hate him, i think he will thrive in Philly.