Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-16-2009, 09:08 AM   #441
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaVs 41 BaLler View Post
Yea no more joking around. Next season is do or die with the Mavs.

Also sike do you only post in the offseason?
Or were you just locked up in a cave from being naughty?
can't it be both?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #442
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazi View Post
Kaman sucks.
dumb.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:55 AM   #443
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I like a lot of things about S-jax, but the guy is also the architect of some of the most boneheaded plays you'll see in the NBA (short of Zach Randolph, of course). For those of you that roll your eyes when Howard dicks around with the ball for 15 seconds and then tries a step-back 22-footer (and I'm certainly among you), you had better prepare yourselves for a LOT of similarly frustrating plays if we get S-jax.

Still, there are certain things I very much like about the guy.
Yeah...I'm just not sure how much you can attribute that to his actual style vs Nellie-Ball. I'm sure its a strong mix of both though. He wouldn't be my #1 choice for a trade, but he's pretty high on the list.

After reading on a message board, it seems like they'd be 50/50 towards doing a deal for Jackson but they'd want Josh. You could possibly see something like Jackson + Azubuike for Josh. They see Josh as the talent in the deal and that he might play more inspired basketball under Nellie.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:34 PM   #444
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Has no low post moves or a medium range jumper, horrific free throw shooter (has shot under 60% last 4 years) coming off an injury, again servicable, around 15-20.

Sure Ok.... GL going out picking up Yao or Howard then. Let me know how that goes. Meanwhile realistically we aren't getting an elite Center.
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:37 PM   #445
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwitzki View Post
Center: Shaq or Sheed
Forward: Artest or Bosh
Wing: Jefferson or Wallace

Draft : Austin Daye SF/PF
20 years old; 6'10"; 190 lbs.
Gonzaga, Sophomore

Cubes wantsss you to choose
Yeah, I was thinking about Sheed too. He's a UFA, right? Wonder what it takes to sign him?
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:44 PM   #446
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

So let's say we get 'Sheed for the full MLE to be our starting C; re-sign Kidd; keep Josh; and turn Stack's expiring into a starting SG. Is that enough to compete for a championship? Figure in that scenario, we'd still have Damp as our backup C for 20 MPG (more or less depending on opponent), and use our draft choice on a PG of the future like Lawson.

Then, if things aren't looking great at the deadline, we have both Josh and Damp expiring that we could use to make another major move.

Could work, and doesn't require us to gut the team.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #447
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Yeah...I'm just not sure how much you can attribute that to his actual style vs Nellie-Ball. I'm sure its a strong mix of both though. He wouldn't be my #1 choice for a trade, but he's pretty high on the list.

After reading on a message board, it seems like they'd be 50/50 towards doing a deal for Jackson but they'd want Josh. You could possibly see something like Jackson + Azubuike for Josh. They see Josh as the talent in the deal and that he might play more inspired basketball under Nellie.
I'm not sure that trade is an upgrade for the Mavs, honestly...

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #448
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Sheed's an interesting possibility. Doesn't contribute on the boards enough to be an ideal solution, but he'd definitely offer more scoring and more defensive versatility than what the team has had recently. I doubt there are going to be many better buys available in the range of the MLE.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:20 PM   #449
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

MaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud of

What's the status on Carlos Boozer??

I wouldn't mind
Boozer/Bass/Hollins at the Center.

Sure we're undersize but we will always have the advantage on the offensive end.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #450
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Sure Ok.... GL going out picking up Yao or Howard then. Let me know how that goes. Meanwhile realistically we aren't getting an elite Center.
You just named the top 2, there are much better options out there that the Mavs could get via Free Agency or Trade, Kaman and Shaq to name 2.
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:24 PM   #451
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
What's the status on Carlos Boozer??

I wouldn't mind
Boozer/Bass/Hollins at the Center.

Sure we're undersize but we will always have the advantage on the offensive end.
I would, Boozer is a cancer... Utah fans want him gone bad, he takes way too many 16-18 footers and is a selfish ball hog the stops ball rotation.
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:25 PM   #452
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

MaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
I would, Boozer is a cancer... Utah fans want him gone bad, he takes way too many 16-18 footers and is a selfish ball hog the stops ball rotation.
Alright scratch boozer.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:01 PM   #453
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
dumb.
He's highly overrated in these parts. He hasn't done jack in his career except for 07-08.

If Kaman is the biggest move the Mavs make this year the FO didn't do a good job.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #454
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi View Post
So let's say we get 'Sheed for the full MLE to be our starting C; re-sign Kidd; keep Josh; and turn Stack's expiring into a starting SG. Is that enough to compete for a championship? Figure in that scenario, we'd still have Damp as our backup C for 20 MPG (more or less depending on opponent), and use our draft choice on a PG of the future like Lawson.

Then, if things aren't looking great at the deadline, we have both Josh and Damp expiring that we could use to make another major move.

Could work, and doesn't require us to gut the team.
Interesting idea. Would depend on who the SG is whether we could contend or not. Count me among those that think Sheed is done. His heart's not in it. He won his ring.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:53 PM   #455
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Alright scratch boozer.
And he's injury prone as hell.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:53 PM   #456
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

Why not also trade for Rip Hamilton.

The Pistons already have a great young backcourt with Bynum and Stuckey. I think they should start rebuilding.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:28 PM   #457
darkwitzki
Golden Member

darkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of light

Can you see Birdman as a Maverick? The top names are going to be Ron Artest, Lamar Odom, Ben Gordon, Shawn Marion, Allen Iverson, Andre Miller and Rasheed Wallace. Of those, the Mavericks can neither afford any of them nor do they really need any of them, for various reasons, with the possible exception of Wallace. Fort Worth Star-Telegram

The better values will come from the second tier: Trevor Ariza, Grant Hill, Eddie House, Anderson Varejao and, yes, Chris "Birdman" Andersen. The Mavericks have their mid-level exception to use on free agents. That will top out at $5 million or so. Other names of interest include Hedo Turkoglu, Rodney Carney and Anthony Carter. Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Old 05-16-2009, 10:09 PM   #458
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Just say no to Sheed. He's not nearly the defensive player he used to be and has virtually no low-post game.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:12 PM   #459
Justin Credible

Justin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to all

If AI is a Mav next season I won't watch a single damn game. I would almost say the same about Anthony Carter, but I just happen to not like him so I'd be okay with it.

Turkoglu, Birdman, Ben Gordon, Marion (:/) I could deal with.. But no ****ing way on Iverson.

Eddie House as well, although I hate how often the ball rotation stops with him whether or not he has a good shot. Seems like he's a better-shooting JR Smith - a lot of bad shot selections.
Justin Credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:01 AM   #460
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

the only AI I would like is IGGY!!

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...tradeId=rdtu32

Trade makes sense for all 3 teams, Mavs take on 4 horrible contracts but good players to try and win now while the mediocre teams get to save a ton of $ and start a rebuilding phase. Charlotte and PHILLY aren't going anywhere anyway.

I dunno if it would be allowed though
Old 05-17-2009, 12:22 AM   #461
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Iverson is one of my all-time favorite players... but no I don't want him here.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:44 AM   #462
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not sure that trade is an upgrade for the Mavs, honestly...
Really?
It could be touch and go if you look at it just Josh and Jackson straight up, but if you got someone like Azubuike as well, I don't see how it's bad. It adds more depth to the roster. Azubuike is a pretty athletic guy, he can shoot with range (you have to in the GS system), pretty decent rebounder as well. He's cheap too...so it's not really a guy who WOWs you, but he can definitely hold his own.

You'd have to wonder if Jackson would get along with Carlisle or if he was one of the guys that just really didn't click. I thought Artest would be in that group but he has nice things to say about our coach and he really respects him. If Carlisle can get him to play more in control and etc, then those negatives start to go away.

This is what I got from a Warriors board:

Quote:
I just think that for this year Jack was far superior. A lot of Jacks bad play had to do with the roster shake-up this year. He had way to much responsibility on his shoulders. You put him on that Maverick team and suddenly he's handling less and guarding more. Cuban would have loved him.
Like I said...he's not my top option, but I think he's pretty high up on the list. He's aggressive and can play tough-nosed defense.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:25 AM   #463
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
the only AI I would like is IGGY!!

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...tradeId=rdtu32

Trade makes sense for all 3 teams, Mavs take on 4 horrible contracts but good players to try and win now while the mediocre teams get to save a ton of $ and start a rebuilding phase. Charlotte and PHILLY aren't going anywhere anyway.

I dunno if it would be allowed though

What else is new... we send our trash for four All Star caliber talent. If we could land ONE of those guys I'd be happy.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:35 AM   #464
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I think a Josh for SJax/Azubuike trade would be an upgrade. I'd rank a healthy Josh as the best player of the three, so I don't think it'd be a homerun, but if you could somehow make a trade for a worthy starting center in a salary dump (Chandler?), it would make for a pretty efficient way of solidifying the 2/3 rotation. Jackson's a good well rounded player, and Azubuike would definitely up the team's athleticism quotient and long-range potency. Not that I won't be hoping the team lands someone who'd be a clear-cut number two guy.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:44 AM   #465
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
I think a Josh for SJax/Azubuike trade would be an upgrade. I'd rank a healthy Josh as the best player of the three, so I don't think it'd be a homerun, but if you could somehow make a trade for a worthy starting center in a salary dump (Chandler?), it would make for a pretty efficient way of solidifying the 2/3 rotation. Jackson's a good well rounded player, and Azubuike would definitely up the team's athleticism quotient and long-range potency. Not that I won't be hoping the team lands someone who'd be a clear-cut number two guy.
Yeah, you'd still have Damp, Stack and other pieces to take care of the center and continue to add depth to the roster.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:07 AM   #466
eyedentifyme

eyedentifyme is a jewel in the rougheyedentifyme is a jewel in the rougheyedentifyme is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, I like the http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...tradeId=rdtu32 to get Okafor/Iguodala/Brand/GWallace.

Other possibilities:

1. Mavs trade JHo/Stack/Damp/Carroll/Cash to Milwaukee for Sessions/Villanueva/Redd/Jefferson; Use MLE on Ron Artest or Raymond Felton depending on whether or not we can trade for Sessions.

2. Mavs trade JHo/Stack/Damp/Carroll to Chicago for Deng/Noah/TThomas/JSalmons/Hinrich; Use MLE on Ron Artest or Raymond Felton depending on whether or not we can get Kirk Hinrich.

3. Mavs trade JHo/Damp to Minnesota for Gomes/Jefferson/Cardinal/Madsen. Use MLE on Raymond Felton, Ramon Sessions, Andre Miller, Rafer Alston, or Ron Artest.

4. Mavs trade JHo/Stack/Damp/Carroll to Washington for Butler/Jamison/Blatche/Songaila/Stevenson/Haywood. Use MLE on Raymond Felton, Ramon Sessions, Andre Miller, Rafer Alston, or Ron Artest.

5. Mavs trade JHo/Stack/Damp/Carroll/Jet to Philadelphia for Evans/Dalembert/Iguodala/LWilliams/Brand. Use MLE on Raymond Felton, Ramon Sessions, Andre Miller, Rafer Alston, or Ron Artest.

Last edited by eyedentifyme; 05-17-2009 at 02:14 AM.
eyedentifyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:30 AM   #467
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

Stephen Jackson is just what we need...Stackhouse gave us heart, toughness and even gave us a little defense, if we get Jackson you whon't be able to take the smile off my face.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:06 AM   #468
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Really?
It could be touch and go if you look at it just Josh and Jackson straight up, but if you got someone like Azubuike as well, I don't see how it's bad. It adds more depth to the roster. Azubuike is a pretty athletic guy, he can shoot with range (you have to in the GS system), pretty decent rebounder as well. He's cheap too...so it's not really a guy who WOWs you, but he can definitely hold his own.
I think a "right" Josh Howard is a better overall player than either S-jax or Azubuike, and I'm generally of the opinion that the team who gets the better end of any given trade is the team who gets the best player in the trade.

I definitely wouldn't say it's a bad trade. If the Mavs made it, I wouldn't be disappointed. I'd just be sort of...neutral. I guess I'm holding out hope that we can get something better if we were to move Josh. The Shaq+J-rich possibility excites me more than this one.

And, of course, this is all despite the fact that I'm not a particularly big Howard fan, and I'm generally pretty fond of what S-jax brings to the table. So take from that what you will.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:03 AM   #469
ghazi
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
What else is new... we send our trash for four All Star caliber talent. If we could land ONE of those guys I'd be happy.
1. They're not All Stars
2. It saves each of those respective franchises over $100 million in salary over the next 5 years!

If they were smart, they would consider it and do it. Like a team led by Gerald Wallace or Andre Iguodala is gonna have success in the era of Lebron?

in the case of Philly especially? Taking Elton Brand's salary off their hands? Dude's a cancer, dude hasn't done jack in 2 years. Dude's best days are past him.

What's their peak as is anyway? 45 wins? pffft. just save some $ IMO.

Last edited by ghazi; 05-17-2009 at 04:07 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #470
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

Apparently the goal is to replace Stackhouse! http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.36a8f59.html

Dallas Mavericks need to make a play for playmaker

01:10 AM CDT on Saturday, May 16, 2009

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
esefko@dallasnews.com

The Mavericks know more about the Mavericks than the rest of us do. That's just a fact.

If you think the Mavericks need another scorer, they already know it.

If your instincts say they need a better post presence, they've already reached that conclusion.

And what you may not realize, but what they already have dissected and come to grips with, is the player they need to replace most this summer.

Yes, the man who played a grand total of 10 games this season proved to the Mavericks that they need what he used to offer on a nightly basis. It's seeking that kind of player – not necessarily that position, but that sort of production and attitude – that the Mavericks view as a key quest for the off-season.

Coach Rick Carlisle, when asked if the Mavericks need another scorer from either the perimeter or the post, said it best.

"The guy you're talking about is someone to replace what Stack gave us for four or five years – a guy who came off the bench and was going to guarantee double-figure scoring," Carlisle said.

"He was going to draw double teams and help create shots, and he brought a tough-minded physical presence to both the floor and the locker room. So yeah, there is a void to fill. And the void is Stack."

The Mavericks owe Stackhouse plenty. But he'll probably be playing elsewhere next season.

In his place, they need a playmaker. The Mavericks don't necessarily need another star. Think single or double, not home run. If they get another scorer, it makes sense to keep Jason Kidd, Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Terry and Josh Howard.

And it doesn't have to be any particular position that the Mavericks upgrade. They feel they just need one more key player.

"A shooter, a scorer," Terry said. "A tough, hard-nosed defender and a big man that's going to foul somebody and be an enforcer. We got to get an enforcer."

Hey, there's nothing that says a big man can't be the missing piece, even though it's never happened in Mavericks history.

So here, in no particular order, are the avenues the Mavericks have to chase such a player and some possible candidates to fill that role.

FREE AGENTS OF NOTE

Only unrestricted free agents listed

Cream of the crop

Ron Artest; Houston

Ben Gordon; Chicago

Allen Iverson; Detroit

Shawn Marion; Toronto

Andre Miller; Philadelphia

Lamar Odom; LA Lakers

Rasheed Wallace; Detroit

Best of the rest

Chris Andersen; Denver

Trevor Ariza; LA Lakers

Luther Head; Miami

Grant Hill; Phoenix

Eddie House; Boston

ZaZa Pachulia; Atlanta

Anderson Varejao; Cleveland

Darkhorses

Rodney Carney; Minnesota

Anthony Carter; Denver

Marquis Daniels; Indiana

Flip Murray; Atlanta

Anthony Parker; Toronto

Wally Szczerbiak; Cleveland

Von Wafer; Houston
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.

Last edited by bcrav4; 05-17-2009 at 10:03 AM.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:26 AM   #471
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrav4 View Post
"The Mavericks don't necessarily need another star. Think single or double, not home run. If they get another scorer, it makes sense to keep Jason Kidd, Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Terry and Josh Howard."
Why does this sound familiar?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-17-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #472
bobatundi
Golden Member

We could bring back 'Quis so Josh will have a buddy again.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:44 AM   #473
Justin Credible

Justin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to all

Am I the only one that thinks that us picking up Ron Artest is barely a step in the right direction? He seems to basically be the Jason Terry of defense, although he still jacks up countless 3's and, in crunch time, is a ball hog that doesn't seem to have any efficiency whatsoever.

I mean, it seems like we'd just be hurting one end of the floor just to improve the other end. We need offensive efficiency as well as defensive presence, and Ron Artest seems like he'd improve one of those and hurt the other.

I'd rather take the money and go after Raymond Felton than Ron Artest any day of the week. We could still use our trading pieces (Jet, Josh Howard, Gerald Green, Matt Carroll, Jerry Stackhouse, Devean(sp) George, etc, etc) and try to pull some defensive talent (hopefully starting with an athletic center), but also use them to pull an offensive "superstar."

I still think that Rudy Gay or Chris Bosh are our best "options" at the moment, but can definitely see Capt. Jack as being a great option. That being said I don't know if any of the three, outside of Bosh, are even possibilities. I wave my ignorance flag as far as Capt. Jack is concerned because I honestly have no clue how dedicated he really is to his team.. same as Rudy Gay. If either of them are open to being relocated then I think that cuban has to throw everything but the kitchen sink* at their respective team to try and get them.

*Kitchen sink represents Dirk, Bass, Wright, JJ, Hollins, and Kidd (if he re-signs).

Also, I have to say that I'm kind of sad that Josh Howard will more than likely be traded off this season. I think that he was just starting to rebound from his troubles and return to his 05-06 level of play. That being said I completely understand that he's extremely valuable for other teams due to that and his expiring contract. I'd hate to say it but I'd much rather trade Jet than Josh Howard any day of the week. Jet's been a warrior and with him coming off the bench he's been fantastic, but we just need someone more efficient throughout the entire season (which includes playoffs) and he just seems to die after the 82nd game.
Justin Credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:00 AM   #474
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

I would bring Quis back at a reasonable price. He can still ball...and I would bring him and Wright off the bench as the backup sg/sf

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #475
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

If we send Josh Howard to Oakland, you can pretty much say that we ruined his life.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #476
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Marquis Daniels is extremely injury prone. That is why I have reservations about signing him.

The Mavs need an above the rim type of SG. Not sure who that would be but they have to find a guy that can catch some passes around the rim and finish.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:13 PM   #477
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
1. They're not All Stars
2. It saves each of those respective franchises over $100 million in salary over the next 5 years!

If they were smart, they would consider it and do it. Like a team led by Gerald Wallace or Andre Iguodala is gonna have success in the era of Lebron?

in the case of Philly especially? Taking Elton Brand's salary off their hands? Dude's a cancer, dude hasn't done jack in 2 years. Dude's best days are past him.

What's their peak as is anyway? 45 wins? pffft. just save some $ IMO.

You're assuming each of those teams is in a "dump salary now" mode instead of "we need one more piece to compete," which is where I think they actually are. There's no chance we could trade for any of those players, except maybe Brand. But he also happens to play the same position as our best player, so that won't be happening.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:15 PM   #478
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedentifyme View Post
Yeah, I like the http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...tradeId=rdtu32 to get Okafor/Iguodala/Brand/GWallace.

Other possibilities:

1. Mavs trade JHo/Stack/Damp/Carroll/Cash to Milwaukee for Sessions/Villanueva/Redd/Jefferson; Use MLE on Ron Artest or Raymond Felton depending on whether or not we can trade for Sessions.

2. Mavs trade JHo/Stack/Damp/Carroll to Chicago for Deng/Noah/TThomas/JSalmons/Hinrich; Use MLE on Ron Artest or Raymond Felton depending on whether or not we can get Kirk Hinrich.

3. Mavs trade JHo/Damp to Minnesota for Gomes/Jefferson/Cardinal/Madsen. Use MLE on Raymond Felton, Ramon Sessions, Andre Miller, Rafer Alston, or Ron Artest.

4. Mavs trade JHo/Stack/Damp/Carroll to Washington for Butler/Jamison/Blatche/Songaila/Stevenson/Haywood. Use MLE on Raymond Felton, Ramon Sessions, Andre Miller, Rafer Alston, or Ron Artest.

5. Mavs trade JHo/Stack/Damp/Carroll/Jet to Philadelphia for Evans/Dalembert/Iguodala/LWilliams/Brand. Use MLE on Raymond Felton, Ramon Sessions, Andre Miller, Rafer Alston, or Ron Artest.

We really need to forget these "our trash for your 3 best players" trades, regardless of the fact that we can save these teams money in the future.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:11 PM   #479
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

FO would be absolutely crazy not to do Josh for Stephen Jax and Azubuike. First off, Azubuike pretty much solves our SG issues, dude can shoot, shoot the 3, drive and he's athletic as hell. And then Sjax gives us toughness, if you watched the Dal-GS series in 07 you should know what Im talking about. And he'll also give us defense and take pressure off dirk in cltch situations. Sjax in the clutch >>>> Josh Howard. Have you ever even seen Josh make a game winning jumper? Sjax and Kelenna >>>> Josh Howard. get it done
Old 05-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #480
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
I think a "right" Josh Howard is a better overall player than either S-jax or Azubuike, and I'm generally of the opinion that the team who gets the better end of any given trade is the team who gets the best player in the trade.

I definitely wouldn't say it's a bad trade. If the Mavs made it, I wouldn't be disappointed. I'd just be sort of...neutral. I guess I'm holding out hope that we can get something better if we were to move Josh. The Shaq+J-rich possibility excites me more than this one.

And, of course, this is all despite the fact that I'm not a particularly big Howard fan, and I'm generally pretty fond of what S-jax brings to the table. So take from that what you will.
But are we seriously going to ride out another year to see if we get the "right" Josh Howard?

I think you're still going to be able to get a player like Shaq in a deal because this only used one of your assets. It might be the most lucrative one in terms of talent, but you still have the $$-figures that people REALLY want this season. You just be firm with Phoenix and basically say you're saving a ton of money with Damp and Stack combined, and you save it immediately with Stack. If we have to look at something like maybe adding Bass or Wright...we'll see, but we're the ones doing you a favor: not the other way around. It's win-win for both sides.

Tags
bea > drew > erick, bea arthur could ball, bea arthur has balls, biedrins for the wins, boobsftw, damn bucksuckshot, flaco's purple nipples, mc pee pants?, oliwa?candy, ostertagtag?, tweetweet, who is this mcpants?