Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #81
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

And LMA 3pt shot was a travel violation...

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/pa...sharepermalink

stupid refs.

Last edited by markus1234; 01-30-2013 at 05:43 PM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #82
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

For what it's worth at this point...

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/or...nba/index.html
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #83
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Cuban should play this vid during half time and timeouts. Till the end of the season.

Last edited by markus1234; 01-30-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #84
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
For what it's worth at this point...

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/or...nba/index.html
Good for the NBA. What I have wanted to see is the nba do just this. Admit screwups openly. Hopefully the NBA will start reviewing these type of calls in the last minute or two.

I know they are going to screw up, I've just wanted them to admit and be accountable.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 01-30-2013 at 07:48 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #85
vinylstar

vinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus1234 View Post

stupid refs.
That's not a travel? If he had caught ball on the move, took 2 steps, and did a lay up it would look less suspect, but that's what he did...except he shot. Good no call.

The charge was a little more suspect, but I blame OJ for that...he went up tentative and thus slowed before his jump making it possible to make that close.
vinylstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #86
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

stupid refs.
Questionable, and you're not getting that called against you at home with a crazy crowd. That's preobably why the ref called a charge too for Wesley instead of the obvious charge. Right in front of their bench.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #87
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylstar View Post
That's not a travel? If he had caught ball on the move, took 2 steps, and did a lay up it would look less suspect, but that's what he did...except he shot. Good no call.

The charge was a little more suspect, but I blame OJ for that...he went up tentative and thus slowed before his jump making it possible to make that close.
You cant catch the ball with both feet on the ground and then take two steps. It was a travel just like kg traveled before his big jumper against the heat. That's about as blatant as a travel gets

Last edited by Five-ofan; 01-30-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #88
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/...ot-called-foul

NBA admits that the mayo call was botched.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #89
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post

ugh. And this is supposed to make us feel.......?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #90
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post

So we are 20-25 now, right?
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #91
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty cool site. Blown calls, flopping fines/warnings. Funny stuff

http://www.nba.com/official/
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 01-30-2013 at 10:19 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:36 PM   #92
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
You cant catch the ball with both feet on the ground and then take two steps. It was a travel just like kg traveled before his big jumper against the heat. That's about as blatant as a travel gets
I'm not sure sure he had both feet on the ground when he was finally in possession of the ball. Either way, unlikely to get that call against you creaming crowd, at home..

Old 01-30-2013, 10:55 PM   #93
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
creaming crowd, at home..
that would certainly distract a ref

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:42 AM   #94
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not sure sure he had both feet on the ground when he was finally in possession of the ball. Either way, unlikely to get that call against you creaming crowd, at home..
Oh you aren't getting that call but that's just because with the possible exception of politicians, nba officials are worse at their jobs then any other group in the world
Old 01-31-2013, 09:32 AM   #95
NorwegianMavsFan

NorwegianMavsFan is just really niceNorwegianMavsFan is just really niceNorwegianMavsFan is just really niceNorwegianMavsFan is just really niceNorwegianMavsFan is just really niceNorwegianMavsFan is just really nice

Quote:
There is absolutely no question that that was a travel. It happens all the time in the NBA though, and they almost never call it. Attempt that move in Europe and you'll get called for it every time. Refs in the NBA are sloppy when i comes to those calls.
NorwegianMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:50 AM   #96
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
Actually, I thought that's exactly what you are allowed to do. The rules just say that you can take two steps in coming to a stop (http://www.nba.com/2009/news/10/23/t....ap/index.html).

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:51 AM   #97
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
I know they are going to screw up, I've just wanted them to admit and be accountable.
Agreed - but they need to do a lot more on the accountability front.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #98
markus1234
Platinum Member

Old 01-31-2013, 03:26 PM   #99
nowhereman
Diamond Member

Quote:
?

Quote:
Old 01-31-2013, 03:34 PM   #100
markus1234
Platinum Member

The Ref had definitely a clear view. That's all.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:00 PM   #101
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
Actually, I thought that's exactly what you are allowed to do. The rules just say that you can take two steps in coming to a stop (http://www.nba.com/2009/news/10/23/t....ap/index.html).
That's not clear enough to me at all.

If I catch the ball with one foot on the ground, I get two steps after the catch? So the second foot comes down as one step and the first foot re-positions after that. Am I allowed to pivot on my first foot? That could be construed as three steps. Or rather, the third step could be construed as a pivot.

If I catch the ball with both feet on the ground, do I still get two steps after the catch? If I slow down too much then two steps is an obvious case of switching pivot feet. So how slow is too slow? And again, may I pivot on either foot after the two steps?

And what if I catch the ball in the air? Still two steps? So basically it's the first scenario except the initial landing foot counts against the two steps.

If I have it right on the last two points, then catching on the ground allows a re-positioning of each foot, and catching in the air allows neither after the initial land.

I figure that something is wrong here, because it seems players would have the most freedom if they caught the ball with both feet on the ground. But when I watch them actually play, players in rhythm seem to make a concerted effort to gather the ball with only one foot on the ground before taking two steps, so I have to conclude that's the scenario with the greatest advantage somehow.

All of the above assumes there is no difference in the rule whether the player is catching a pass or gathering his dribble, but who knows.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:03 PM   #102
nowhereman
Diamond Member

Quote:
The Ref had definitely a clear view. That's all.
No doubt. But I'm not sure it was actually a travel.

Quote:
Old 01-31-2013, 05:03 PM   #103
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
Only if you are running when you catch it which he wasn't. That's where the comig to a stop thing comes into play. Aldridge was coming from a stop. Not the same thing.

If he caught it and held it for ten seconds and did it would it be a travel? Obviously. There's no difference between that and catching it standing still and immediately moving. That said, Jason Kidd made a career out of that little step and did a lot of it playing for us so I don't mind that nearly as much as the charge.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #104
SMC0007
Guru

Is it clearly a travelling violation when it never ever gets called?

Old 01-31-2013, 06:58 PM   #105
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Is it clearly a travelling violation when it never ever gets called?
Yes, just like people that catch the ball at the top switching their pivot feet is a travel even though it's never called
Old 01-31-2013, 07:03 PM   #106
markus1234
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
This post is borderline ignore-worthy.
ps:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=268&f=2144&t=11237159
Old 01-31-2013, 10:38 PM   #107
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
You're confusing two different ideas here with your argument.

A lot of people like to state that "only the last 5 minutes of an NBA game matter". That's a bunch of horse crap.

What is legitimate is this: It's harder to execute in crunch time. The best players are on the court, the focus of all players is ratcheted up, and the game is generally reffed differently.

So it's fair to say that Mayo won't truly establish himself as a go-to player until he can consistently execute in crunch time. It's NOT fair to say that Mayo's excellent floor game is irrelevant because he didn't play well in crunch time.

And it's not at all accurate to say "if he doesn't produce that line, someone else will". Yes, obviously if Mayo doesn't score a point, other players pickup some of that weight and the Mavs don't just lose 17 points. But the odds of that slack being picked up completely, and at the same level of efficiency, are very low.
Ok it doesn't make it "irrelevant", but how many times does he have to fail before it hypothetically doesn't matter if he has a killer 3/4 of a game... unless we blow a team out and he is the reason? It crosses a lot of folks mind, even to the point of a few questioning if he needs to be in really late because of the TO's. It's great to keep us in the game until crunch time, but the game isn't over...finishing is way more important that the start or the middle. You gotta "win in the end".

Old 01-31-2013, 11:00 PM   #108
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ok it doesn't make it "irrelevant", but how many times does he have to fail before it hypothetically doesn't matter if he has a killer 3/4 of a game... unless we blow a team out and he is the reason? It crosses a lot of folks mind, even to the point of a few questioning if he needs to be in really late because of the TO's. It's great to keep us in the game until crunch time, but the game isn't over...finishing is way more important that the start or the middle. You gotta "win in the end".
It will never "hypothetically not matter if he has a killer 3/4 of a game". If he continues to play like this during crunch time he will simply prove to be a quality player that can't be depended on in crunch time. That will affect his overall value, but it doesn't completely negate it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:06 PM   #109
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This statement..

Quote:
Having leads earlier in the game really mean nothing
..is simply not true.

The rest of his point is accurate. Most games are in fact decided in the fourth quarter. That's the case because even the best and worst teams in the NBA aren't separated by THAT much. The best teams win at an average clip of 8-9 points a game. That means the majority of NBA games are going to be close at the end.

And I agree with all that. I stated that performing in crunch time is important and more difficult.

But that doesn't mean that performing for the first three quarters is irrelevant. That's absurd.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:29 AM   #110
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This statement..

..is simply not true.

The rest of his point is accurate. Most games are in fact decided in the fourth quarter. That's the case because even the best and worst teams in the NBA aren't separated by THAT much. The best teams win at an average clip of 8-9 points a game. That means the majority of NBA games are going to be close at the end.

And I agree with all that. I stated that performing in crunch time is important and more difficult.

But that doesn't mean that performing for the first three quarters is irrelevant. That's absurd.
No one really pays attention to me when I say this, but I have a conjecture that more games are won in the first quarter than they are in the fourth quarter. It's counter-intuitive, yes. But when that's the case, it's probably a good idea to take a step back and ask why.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote