Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-06-2004, 10:46 AM   #1
VivaNajera
Golden Member

VivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of light
Default Payton to Boston

HoopsHype.com is reporting that the Celts and Lakers have agreed in principle to send Gary Payton for Chris Mihm and Chucky Atkins
VivaNajera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2004, 11:05 AM   #2
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Payton to Boston

Sounds bogus to me. And since when does HH report ANYTHING?
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 11:28 AM   #3
Finley4ever

Finley4ever is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Lakers may trade Gary Payton to Boston for Chris Mihm and Chucky Atkins, one source told HoopsHype.com.
This is all their report says. It doesn't say they agreed in principle, but if it happens, I think it is bad for the Lakers as long as Payton is better than he showed in the playoffs. If not, then I guess it's pretty good for them.
Finley4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 12:16 PM   #4
VivaNajera
Golden Member

VivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE:Payton to Boston

Quote:
Originally posted by: Finley4ever
Quote:
Lakers may trade Gary Payton to Boston for Chris Mihm and Chucky Atkins, one source told HoopsHype.com.
This is all their report says. It doesn't say they agreed in principle, but if it happens, I think it is bad for the Lakers as long as Payton is better than he showed in the playoffs. If not, then I guess it's pretty good for them.
When I first saw it, it said "agreed in principle", they went back and edited that out which makes me believe even more that the trade is bogus
VivaNajera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 12:51 PM   #5
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

well it woulnt be too bad for the Lakers. They only have one real center (becasue grant isnt one) and Vlade is only playing 20 minutes a game. Chucky atkins is pretty good, but he isnt as good as payton. They will still need another point gaurd.

Good deal for Boston as long as Raef stays healthy.
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 02:24 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

It is official on ESPN.com
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 02:32 PM   #7
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

An NBA source told ESPN.com's Bill Simmons that the Celtics have dealt Chris Mihm (in a sign-and-trade), guards Marcus Banks and Chucky Atkins and a future second-round pick to Los Angeles for Payton, Rick Fox and a lottery-protected first-round draft pick.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:46 PM   #8
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

fox returning to bean town!

it seems boston gave up on banks a little early... he could blossom in LA.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:49 PM   #9
DCowboysGal

DCowboysGal is on a distinguished road

Wow, I thought Marcus Banks was the Celts' PG-of-the-future. And Mihm showed some flashes of okayness at C....and all they'd get in return are basically over-the-hill players. Why would they do that trade?
DCowboysGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 03:00 PM   #10
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: Poindexter Einstein
Sounds bogus to me. And since when does HH report ANYTHING?
guess not.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 04:19 PM   #11
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Looks like Boston wants expiring contracts and LA wants to rebuild with young blood.
Seems like a gamble on Lakers' behalf but I don't see them losing too much giving up Payton and Fox. I'm guessing they're going to use Mihm at PF... that's where he's most effective.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 04:42 PM   #12
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hahaha... So Ainge executes a trade to draft "point guard of the future" Marcus Banks before last season, then trades to aquire Chucky Atkins at the trade deadline (sending Rasheed Wallace and the championship to Detroit in the process), thus taking away virtually all of Banks playing time, and now he is giving up on the both of them, trading them (and a talented young big man in Mihm) for cap space and a dubiously valuable, protected draft pick?

Danny Ainge; Mastermind...
Old 08-06-2004, 05:51 PM   #13
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Lakers fans have been talking about this trade happening for a week or so.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 06:00 PM   #14
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I'm one of the few that likes the trade for the Lakers.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:05 PM   #15
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Lakers certainly won the talent end of the deal... Mihm and Banks are good additions, as developmental guys with upside, and they should be able to plug Chucky in as a competent starting PG immediately.

Whether or not Ainge is able to utilize the cap space that Payton and Fox will give him next year should determine whether or not the deal works for Boston...
Old 08-06-2004, 06:05 PM   #16
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
it seems boston gave up on banks a little early... he could blossom in LA.
Dalonte west is the new pg of the future, at least until next year. I hope Banks doesn't become Chauncy Billups
Old 08-06-2004, 07:29 PM   #17
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
I guess I'm one of the few that likes the trade for the Lakers.

I can bet that EL would also feel tha same way. Chris Mihm.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:58 PM   #18
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I love the trade from LA's perspective (and yeah part of it is that I hate Payton and like Mihm).

Banks and Mihm are both promising and young and Boston will probably blow the draft pick, and the money on food at Beacon Hill Bistro. I think payton was really unhappy with the changes, and Fox is basically at the end of his career. LA went young and promising.

Banks will thrive in LA and Boston is going to hate Ainge more when he becomes a nice starter.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 09:11 PM   #19
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

I'm happy for the Austin Westlake product. He's going to Hollywood.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:04 PM   #20
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
I love the trade from LA's perspective (and yeah part of it is that I hate Payton and like Mihm).

Banks and Mihm are both promising and young and Boston will probably blow the draft pick, and the money on food at Beacon Hill Bistro. I think payton was really unhappy with the changes, and Fox is basically at the end of his career. LA went young and promising.

Banks will thrive in LA and Boston is going to hate Ainge more when he becomes a nice starter.
I told ya MFF.

Old 08-06-2004, 10:13 PM   #21
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

don't be too thrilled- Im very predictable [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2004, 10:19 PM   #22
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
don't be too thrilled- Im very predictable [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2004, 12:49 AM   #23
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

JLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enoughJLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enough

I watched Boston play Portland in the past year, and by the end of the game, all I could say was that if the Celtics would have given Banks more time on the court they probably would have won the game. It was obvious, Banks was the only guy on the Celtics that could D up on Damon Stoudmire. Also, it seemed like the Celtics offense was FAR less stagnant when Banks was in the game. Sure the kid did not really do that much shooting, but I definitely came away from that game thinking that Banks definitely has the potential to be a either a good starting pg or a great back up pg. That being said, to me this deal is starting to make sense from the celtics perspective. They have a LOT of youth on their current roster, and Mihm and Banks are the price they paid for their need to get more veteran leadership. Payton seems like a pretty good fit. Can't help but think Boston is loading up on these draft picks and projects to make future trades like the mavericks the year they drafted Alexander, Thomas, and Harvey.
Great, great deal from LA's persepective. I've heard it said before that big men take longer to develop. Here's to hoping that Mihm doesn't turn the corner and become a maverick nightmare in the future. A youth movement in LA. Interesting. Does this make them more like the clippers and less like a contender?
JLEEHASMUCHGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 10:40 AM   #24
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Boston really got screwed this time. Their talented starting point guard in Atkins, an incredible backup guard in Banks and a Chris Mihm (need I say more) went down the drain for an slow, aging point guard who used to know what he's doing and couldn't hit a wide open jump shot if he was 3 feet away from the hoop and another 30+ year backup SF who can't do much except shoot. Ainge should put down the bottle.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 11:14 AM   #25
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Evilmav2
ahhh yes, the look of determination.........or is it the look of constipation?

guess Kobe was not so hot for playing with GP another season.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 06:47 AM   #26
Shaq Attack2

Shaq Attack2 is on a distinguished road

I love this trade. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Shaq Attack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 11:07 AM   #27
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: Shaq Attack2
I love that the Lakers are going to suck for years.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 10:47 AM   #28
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

This is a my mistake for your mistake trade. Marcus Banks was struggling in the summer league and so he pulled the trigger on the deal. Mihm has no use for the Celtics since Blount and Raef are better options at the five spot then Mihm. GP never played well in the triangle much like what happened to Glenn Rice a great player is reduced to being average. I also heard the Celtics really like Delonte West.

GP/Delonte West
Pierce
Jiri
Raef
Blount

If they are all healthy that's pretty good actually.

For LA

Chucky Atkins
Kobe
Odom
Grant
Vlade

The front court is old and decrepid. The Lakers desperately needed the Celtics third string center. Especially since Vlade can't be counted on for big minutes. The only positive for LA is they put Grant back to his natural position at the 4.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 03:02 AM   #29
Shaq Attack2

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Quote:
Nah, I see them beating the Mavs annually. [img]i/expressions/anim_roller.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2004, 08:43 AM   #30
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nah, I see them beating the Mavs annually. [img]i/expressions/anim_roller.gif[/img]
well, they will play each other four times a year.....so if its only once a year"annually" I say 3 out of 4 is still pretty good. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:51 AM   #31
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Time to change your name to "Vlade Attack 2"... don't you think? [img]i/expressions/anim_roller.gif[/img]
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 10:23 AM   #32
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Time to change your name to "Vlade Attack 2"... don't you think?
funny!
Old 08-16-2004, 03:26 AM   #33
Shaq Attack2

Quote:
Originally posted by: V2M
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Time to change your name to "Vlade Attack 2"... don't you think? [img]i/expressions/anim_roller.gif[/img]
Unfortunately, yes. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]